Steering (wheel) me straight

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 01:34 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering (wheel) me straight

As a proud member of “Plood Nation,” I find myself enjoying the color more all the time. I think it provides for an especially nice transition from the black surface of the dash to the parchment interior. I like it so much that I’ve even been wondering about a change that could be made on the steering wheel to further “soften” the look of the interior, but now I’m not so sure I’d ever try it, but I will ask the experts for their thoughts on it.

Why a possible change? Because planet earth has been invaded!

Back when the Creator gave us the essentials for life (e.g. stereos, cell phones, DVD players, home theater systems, TVs, etc,) He gave them all either a black color, or at least a nice dark charcoal gray. Life was good for many years this way and we all thrived. But then not too long ago – it happened.

A few years ago, aliens from the planet “Alumalook” must have invaded us, because if you look at the products I just mentioned, almost all of them have been morphed into an overwhelming “alumalook” color. Just go to your local “Best Buy” store or similar retailer and stand in the electronics section and you’ll see what I mean. And if that’s not bad enough, these aliens have now attacked the very foundation of our society – our car interiors! They’ve attacked almost all manufacturers with this curse although for TSX fans, the “satin look’ metal is only modestly displayed and in good taste.

When I was looking for a new car, I had to deal with this issue very carefully. As I sat in the Mazda 6, as nice a car as it is I had to ask myself “Can I spend 7 years looking at that center console?” Clearly for me, the answer was no. I’m sure each of you can find cars and SUVs with this same feature and while it may be ok for many of you, there are those of us who must simply say – this is too much. And that lead me to consider an idea that may be more trouble than it’s worth, but I offer it anyway because of the technical challenge involved.

In looking at the Accord Coupe, I find it has audio and cruise controls on the steering wheel that seem to be of the same shape and size as the ones on our TSXs – but they’re of a dark material rather than the shiny ones on the TSX. So I was wondering, would it be possible to buy these controls from Honda and have them installed on a TSX instead of the ones there now? Maybe one of you who purchased the massive TSX manual from (Helms?) can check to see if these components are even available individually?