SS "SportShift" on the TSX

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 12:37 AM
Here to poke fun at you!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would also have to go with the TSX, less complicated if not complicated at all
Old 07-16-2006, 01:16 AM
Billy M

Originally Posted by PWPTSX
TSX SS:
+ is in the forward position
- is in the back position

BMW:
+ is in the back positon
- is in the forward position
thank you for clarifying what i said, you hit the nail on the head, however, i prefer the BMW way, up is down and down is up, and no i'm not a pilot

i also believe the sequential gearboxes in race cars are "backwards" (down is up and up is down) i know for a fact the BMW sequential gearboxes work that way, it just seems more natural to me
Old 07-16-2006, 06:24 AM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PWAiN
Ah, so does the car actually shift closer to redline with SS mode because I just read up on some info and I learned that there's some sort of over-ride feature that prevents you from overrevving. i.e. if you somehow forget and leave it running in 2nd it automatically shifts it for you so you dont actually blow the engine. I'm actually hearing good things about it vs other cars; audi,bmw, even infiniti which all have the sportshift
I'm in the same boat with you "not specified", I gotta have that sporty feel somehow!
When aproaching redline you should try to shift at 6800 rpm's since that is the engines peak torque and HP any higher will just slow you down... You can over rev and nothing wont happen since it has a fuel cut at like 7300 I think. Ive over reved a couple of times before and never noticed my engine temp go up or any other bad things, it just freaked me out.. I occasionally downshift into first going like 10 mph but no higher..
Old 07-16-2006, 06:31 AM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Originally Posted by Billy M
thank you for clarifying what i said, you hit the nail on the head, however, i prefer the BMW way, up is down and down is up, and no i'm not a pilot

i also believe the sequential gearboxes in race cars are "backwards" (down is up and up is down) i know for a fact the BMW sequential gearboxes work that way, it just seems more natural to me

I think they did it like that because sometimes when I downshift and brake my body shifts foward so fast I shift to a higher gear right after downshifting by accident..
Old 07-16-2006, 06:41 AM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Originally Posted by Knox
I've tried both gas and no-gas shifts from 1 - 2 and they're both hard. The dealer looked at it and said it was "up to Acura specs" and this is the only dealer I trust so we'll see.

Ive noticed it is only hard if you do not rev over 3-3500 rpm's. after that it seems a lot smoother..
Old 07-16-2006, 09:34 AM
Here to poke fun at you!

Good info bro, thanks
Old 07-17-2006, 12:47 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tsturbo
Guys - It is real simple, drive it and shift it by "feel", "sound" & "RPM's". Turn down that stereo, put away your cell phone or pull the IPOD ear buds out of your ears. If that is too much work, just put it in D and forget about it. You all are making too much ado about something that is so simple to drive in SS it is ridiculous.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:31 AM
Everyday Joe

Originally Posted by PWAiN
Yes Preludes actually came with a Tiptronic auto transmission. I do believe it was in the later models.
]

My wife had a '98 Prelude that had the SS...only a 4 speed though.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:58 PM
08 MDX with Sports

I never drove the 5spd auto on TSX does it have huge number on the gauge next to the speed-O?
Old 07-17-2006, 06:12 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never used the SS mode but once I got Hondata..I never want back to full auto...which ultimately lead me to 6 spd.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:59 PM
Precision Crafted User

Originally Posted by PWPTSX
TSX SS:
+ is in the forward position
- is in the back position

BMW:
+ is in the back positon
- is in the forward position

which is better? i guess TSX SS make more sense
BMW's set up is actually based on physics rather than logic.

BMW (and I think a few other car companies) reverse the tap shift because they know that if you are up-shifting, you are accellerating. If you are driving a powerful enough car (like a BMW), you are thus being pushed back into the seat. It is therefore easier to pull the lever back toward you than fight the g-forces you are experiencing to push it forward.

Likewise, if you are heading into a corner and about to down shift, it is likely you are braking and being pulled forward, it is therefore easier to push the lever forward than to pull the lever backward.

The Acura Sport Shift way, you are fighting physics, the BMW Steptronic way, physics is working with you.

Then again, the ergonomics in the Acura are generally better than in the BMW so it is easier to reach and operate the tap shifter anyway.

This is my first auto transmission in almost 20 years. I am very pleased with the operation of the sport shift. It is much quicker than any of the previous ones I had ever driven. I think it was improved for the 2006 model. When I am driving it in a spirited manner, I don't think I could execute the shifts any quicker in a manual than the job the SS does. (Doing a K turn is another matter though).

In the first month I have owned the car I find myself in SS mode probably 50% of the time.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:23 PM
Cruisin'

it shows wut gear ur in under the middle square that has the odometer
Old 07-17-2006, 10:30 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TSXrated
BMW's set up is actually based on physics rather than logic.

BMW (and I think a few other car companies) reverse the tap shift because they know that if you are up-shifting, you are accellerating. If you are driving a powerful enough car (like a BMW), you are thus being pushed back into the seat. It is therefore easier to pull the lever back toward you than fight the g-forces you are experiencing to push it forward.

Likewise, if you are heading into a corner and about to down shift, it is likely you are braking and being pulled forward, it is therefore easier to push the lever forward than to pull the lever backward.

The Acura Sport Shift way, you are fighting physics, the BMW Steptronic way, physics is working with you.

Then again, the ergonomics in the Acura are generally better than in the BMW so it is easier to reach and operate the tap shifter anyway.

This is my first auto transmission in almost 20 years. I am very pleased with the operation of the sport shift. It is much quicker than any of the previous ones I had ever driven. I think it was improved for the 2006 model. When I am driving it in a spirited manner, I don't think I could execute the shifts any quicker in a manual than the job the SS does. (Doing a K turn is another matter though).

In the first month I have owned the car I find myself in SS mode probably 50% of the time.
i dont necessarily think that's why they did it, but it's a decent explanation. i also don't think it's that drastic of a difference, and it's not something that affects the shifting of manual transmissions. it's just a simple tap forward or back, and the physics comes into play after the shift really, not before it. anyways. it's still not logical to me whatsoever, it's just them trying to be unique like they do with anything.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:50 AM
Instructor

i stopped using SS on mine cause i mess up to much with the RPM i force it to much on first and second gear.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:29 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When I first got my TSX I thought that the SS shifting was counterintuitive. I miss shifted a couple of times (down instead of up) and bounced off the rev limiter before I got used to it. Its just a question of getting used to it. BTW, I came from a 5MT although I'm not sure that has anything to do with it.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Advanced.

Originally Posted by taz98spin
Actually in the owner manual it says start off with the 2nd gear in place when
using the SS.

I recently started playing around with SS since I do not know how to drive manual,
and when I accidentally downshift to 1st and try to go back up to 2nd, the car
would jump too.
The owners manual states that if in the event you do not want wheelspin. I do not think under normal driving conditions you would need to start in 2nd gear.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:55 PM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
There are several items on the list of things that haven't changed. Some are good, while some still need attention. On the positive side, the TSX's sublime short throw 6-speed shifter carries forward unchanged and continues to be one of my personal favorites in terms of feel and precision. It is coupled to the motor through a nearly flawless clutch. The chosen ratios of the 6MT remain the same for '06. While the ratios seemed to be a bit short on the '04-'05 TSX, they now seem like a more appropriate match for the zestier '06 motor. Unfortunately, the throttle lag in the TSX's drive by wire system hasn't been fixed yet. Many drivers may not even notice it, but it quickly becomes apparent during max acceleration runs. We found that the easiest way to extract the best acceleration figures was to upshift without lifting, but at the same time we must emphasize that this is NOT a recommended technique for daily driving. This WILL lead to accelerated wear on your transmission and can also increase the probability of catastrophic mis-shifts. We only tried this technique on a couple of our acceleration passes, but according to our results this technique clearly resulted in nearly a 0.5 second improvement in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.

This was from TOV http://vtec.net/articles/view-articl...&page_number=4
Does anyone find this valid?
I would have thought it was safe being that in sportshift it is dummy proof, but they do say its not suggested to do daily.

So yet again i think us 5AT should have got a manual haha jk.

Does anyone think this is a danger to the tranny?
Old 12-02-2006, 05:50 PM
Time to Climb

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Not Specified
I feel that the SS mode on my 06 TSX picks up a tiny bit slower than fully automatic mode. The engine seems to be a bit more noisey as well. I hardly use this feature, I would've gone 6 speed but didn't because I'm not the only driver.
running is SS mode should yield QUICKER times!
Old 12-02-2006, 05:53 PM
Instructor

I beleive what you just copied and pasted refers to the 6mt..
Old 12-02-2006, 08:10 PM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
ah my mistake I was careless of reading it. I thought the article was talking about AT specifically but then again they run all their tests based on the 6mt.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:10 AM
Master in Science

I've taken my car into red line before while in SS. Sometimes the car lags a bit to shift to next gear.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:29 AM
Instructor

yeah there is a lag but it is def faster than straight auto. I use it alot, to slow down i would downshift, to accell i would shift up with continued pressure on the gas and i find it great.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:06 AM
Racer

"Unfortunately, the throttle lag in the TSX's drive by wire system hasn't been fixed yet. "

What is trottle lag?

Thanks,
Julie
Old 12-03-2006, 10:16 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Is it wrong for me to be in SS mode 100% of the time? :troutslap

I just love it too much
Old 12-03-2006, 08:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Overtaxed
"Unfortunately, the throttle lag in the TSX's drive by wire system hasn't been fixed yet. "

What is trottle lag?

Thanks,
Julie
No worries with the '06, I sure don't notice any throttle lag.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:23 AM
Instructor

Here is from the article above:

We never had the chance to fully test a 5AT version of the '04-'05 TSX, but the first '06 TSX we got our hands on was a 5AT Sportshift model, and overall we liked it. The gear ratios are longer and (naturally) spaced further apart than the 6MT, lending the 5AT car a bit more of a relaxed feel. Shifts are smooth, quick, and confident. At part throttle and in typical around town traffic, there's plenty of pep. Thanks to the trip computer, we noticed that the 5AT easily averaged over 25mpg in our suburban driving loop and over 33mpg at a steady 75mph cruise - both figures are a few notches better than the 6MT. The 5AT's transmission logic seems to be biased towards economy and refinement rather than all out performance, as it tends to upshift a bit short of the redline when left to its own devices. As you can see on the dyno charts on the next page, this motor is making good power all the way to the rev limiter, so obviously to extract the maximum performance from it, it's best to upshift as close to the limiter as possible. During our acceleration testing we were able to shave a full second off the 0-60 time by pushing the transmission selection lever over into the sportshift mode. This wasn't as easy as it sounds, because there is a bit of a lag in the sportshift system, so the timing is critical for upshifts, particularly on the 1-2 upshift.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:09 AM
tsx n00b

Originally Posted by Overtaxed

What is trottle lag?

Thanks,
Julie
The TSX drive-by-wire system means that the pedal isn't physically connected to the engine throttle, unlike in most cars. When you push down on the pedal it is a data signal that is sent, then analyzed by a computer (along with other factors) to adjust the amount of gas going into the engine.