Splash Guard question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 02:26 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Splash Guard question

Hey guys,
I tried searching for this specific question, but i didn't really find an answer so take it easy on me.

Many here have said that the splash guards will scratch the paint eventually and not to get them on your car if you plan on getting an OEM kit later on. Well... at the time i wasn't planning on getting the OEM kit until the look started growing on me. Now... almost a year later i've already ordered it so it'll be put on in a few days.

My question is... what kind of scratching is it? Is it like a swirl marks from a bad washing job? or is it scratching as in it goes deep into the paint and it will be blatently obvious? I can't be the only one on here that didn't get their kit until a year later.

Is it something that will buff out with a porter cable?

thanks
Old 03-08-2006, 06:34 AM
ABP TSX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6768

After cleaning the area, I was able to get most of my scratches out with a PC, Mothers Clay, and some 1Z medium and then fine polish. However, DFW gets very little inclement weather so the damage was minimal.

I searched Mud Guard Removal and found 2 threads that answered your exact question.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:38 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by gsclifton
http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6768

After cleaning the area, I was able to get most of my scratches out with a PC, Mothers Clay, and some 1Z medium and then fine polish. However, DFW gets very little inclement weather so the damage was minimal.

I searched Mud Guard Removal and found 2 threads that answered your exact question.
Thanks,
Like i said. I searched for "splash guard" and clicked almost every single thread on the first results page. Only found threads relating to "is it worth it?"
Old 03-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Drifting

Ok... just washed my car today and took the splash guards off afterwards. I didn't need to jack up the car or anything, just had a really short screwdriver and turned the steering wheel to each side as i did each side.

There wasn't much damage at all. I think i was very fortunate. The majority of the damage was on the OEM side skirts which the body kit will replace shortly. Then when i part the car out in the future to sell it, the mud guards will go back on as to cover it up. So it's all good. There is one spot that runs along the rim of the mudguard that was pressing up against the paint. It's on the passenger side and it basically on the bottom edge before where the sideskirt starts. Not sure if the OEM kit is going to cover that part up or not since it's on the body of the car instead of the actual skirt. But that's barely the side of half of a pencil eraser and it's really low. Low as in... as low as possible while still being on the body of the car. So... what i'm going to do is just get a touch up pen and touch that up.

Other than that, i think everything is fine. I guess i was just lucky that in Georgia, it doesn't snow too often so the DOT doesn't put sand or rocks down in the road that often.