Speculations on the 2008 TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 09:54 PM
808 State

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speculations on the 2008 TSX?

Does any one have any speculations on the 2008 TSX? Such as the price, specifications, etc.?

The reason I ask is because my dad and I are looking for an entry compact-midsize, sport-lux sedan to replace the 1995 VW Passat VR6 that we currently drive. Preferably a 4cyl w/ a 6MT. My mom drives an '04 TL 5AT, and we have been impressed by its reliability, quality, and the great Acura customer service that comes with it. I will be the primary driver of the new car we get, as my dad has an '03 F-150, but he will drive the new car when I don't need it as it will get better mileage than the truck.

We have been shopping around for about half a year now, and we kinda narrowed it down to the TSX and Audi A4. The thing about the A4 is that it gets pricey once you load it with options found standard on the TSX. So we're probably going to go with the TSX. Here's the dilemma: Should we wait a year for the 2008 TSX? The Passat we have has about 130K mi on it but it runs fine and has only minor problems other than that. We won't spend much, if anything over $30K for the next car, so will the new TSX be over $30K? Since Acura is moving up-market, and the TSX is getting SH-AWD, you might think that the '08 TSX would be over $30K. But on the other hand why would anyone buy a TSX for over $30K when you could get the G35 sedan (that will probably out-do the TSX in nearly every category) for almost just as much? The nex-gen TL, with its 300+hp and SH-AWD, is supposed to be the G35 competitor.

Does anyone know if Acura will release some kind of TSX concept in April at the New York show, maybe to go along with the Accord sedan concept? If the TSX is to be released sometime in fall of this year I would expect a concept soon. Unless the Honda Sports 4 Concept released at Tokyo is the final concept? I think Acura would make a concept similar to the idea of the MD-X concept, since that was pretty close to the production MDX. Perhaps a TS-X concept? I am only 16, but I have been a car-enthusiast for some time now and I have done my homework. However I would like some other opinions. Thanks.

Also, I have heard rumors that the '08 TSX might get a turbo, either with the K24 or the K23 from the RDX. Can anyone confirm this? A turbo would easily push the TSX to around 250hp. But it is already getting SH-AWD, and a turbo would not only make it more expensive, but less reliable as well. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:37 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
I fear Acura might screw up the next TSX and not offer a turbocharged engine--fearing it will compete too much with the TL... nevermind that a large number of TSX buyers do not like the TL enough to buy it in the first place.

Or a turbocharged TSX will only be available as a hideously overpriced "Type S" model, much like they've done with the current generation TL Type S.

If the TSX retains it's present pricing "rate" but gets a turbocharged engine and AWD, I will be very impressed. If they offer a TSX with a high performance turbodiesel engine, I'll be even more impressed. How likely am I to be disappointed? Eh... we'll see.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:47 PM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
from honda-tech.com 2008 TSX

Old 02-05-2007, 11:59 PM
Instructor

For a 16 year old, you've definitely done some good research. I like that.

My opinion regarding the purchase you and your dad will have to make is:

If you can fight the urge to buy a new car for another 5-6 months, wait. The 08 TSX will definitely be a $30K+ car, but for the face-lift and the extra litttle goodies that it will certainly get, it just might be worth the wait and extra $.

It won't get a turbo and SH-AWD is a highly unlikely addition, and don't get your hopes up with regards to a 250hp+ engine(highly unlikely), but it will have improvements.

At the same time, you can count on good discounts on the current model(2007) once the new one comes out.

Try to remain patient.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:01 AM
Honda does engines.

The following information is just speculation based on a long following of Acura/Honda products history on my part. The 2008 is going to be the same body style as the 2007 based on past history of Acura redesigns. The RSX lasted 5 years as did the previous generation TL. I think the completely redesigned TSX will be available for 2009.

As for the RDX turbo engine, I think that's a good guess to replace the K24A2, but it may not be available in the 2009 model year. The turbo with the SH-AWD may be available for 2010 or 2011 to rekindle interest after the first/second year excitement has died down. Yeah, it's not very consumer friendly, but Honda Motor is like any other large corporation. They're out to make money and if they hold the upcoming desirable models back for as long as they can, the current life cycle of the next TSX design can be prolonged to five years as other Acura models have been. Another theory is that the 2009 could go RWD then in 2011 the SH-AWD could be released to great fan fare. If this happens, I could upgrade my 2006 when the time comes in 2011!

Anyway, I predict the 2009 TSX will have horsepower in the 225-250 range. At mid-cycle, in 2011, the horsepower could be in the 240-270 range. If you can hold out a little longer, I'm sure there's some exciting stuff on the horizon!

Anyway, good luck with your next purchase.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
You should also check out the thread in Auto News in Off Topic titled next generation TSX.

Here: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348212
Old 02-06-2007, 09:42 AM
TSX User

I would be willing to pay an extra 3k for an option (factory preferred instead of shitty dealer installed) that would eliminate rattles, g-force induced shifting of seats, vibrating moonroof, tint scratching windows and noisy highway-speed interior.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by grapeguice
The following information is just speculation based on a long following of Acura/Honda products history on my part. The 2008 is going to be the same body style as the 2007 based on past history of Acura redesigns. The RSX lasted 5 years as did the previous generation TL. I think the completely redesigned TSX will be available for 2009.

As for the RDX turbo engine, I think that's a good guess to replace the K24A2, but it may not be available in the 2009 model year. The turbo with the SH-AWD may be available for 2010 or 2011 to rekindle interest after the first/second year excitement has died down. Yeah, it's not very consumer friendly, but Honda Motor is like any other large corporation. They're out to make money and if they hold the upcoming desirable models back for as long as they can, the current life cycle of the next TSX design can be prolonged to five years as other Acura models have been. Another theory is that the 2009 could go RWD then in 2011 the SH-AWD could be released to great fan fare. If this happens, I could upgrade my 2006 when the time comes in 2011!

Anyway, I predict the 2009 TSX will have horsepower in the 225-250 range. At mid-cycle, in 2011, the horsepower could be in the 240-270 range. If you can hold out a little longer, I'm sure there's some exciting stuff on the horizon!

Anyway, good luck with your next purchase.

2008 will be just another regular TSX with the new one coming out in 2009...

I personally don't think they'll go RWD, as honda doesn't make any RWD cars other than the s2000 and NSX (unless i'm mistaken) they either have FWD or SH-AWD...

alot of people want more from this car than it's supposed to be... it's supposed to be at this pricepoint, cheaper than the competition... with a focus on quality/handling etc, not horsepower... as honda has always been focused. I really don't think they're going to turn the TSX into a 300 hp monster, although i can see it going up to 240... MAYBE having a turbo charged option, but that would probably come with SH-AWD not RWD...
Old 02-06-2007, 11:12 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
The 2008 is going to be the same body style as the 2007 based on past history of Acura redesigns. The RSX lasted 5 years as did the previous generation TL. I think the completely redesigned TSX will be available for 2009.

So with that being said, get an 07.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
So with that being said, get an 07.
Or, better yet, snap up one of the few remaining 06s if you can live without TPMS.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:03 PM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by junktionfet
I fear Acura might screw up the next TSX and not offer a turbocharged engine--fearing it will compete too much with the TL... nevermind that a large number of TSX buyers do not like the TL enough to buy it in the first place.

Or a turbocharged TSX will only be available as a hideously overpriced "Type S" model, much like they've done with the current generation TL Type S.

If the TSX retains it's present pricing "rate" but gets a turbocharged engine and AWD, I will be very impressed. If they offer a TSX with a high performance turbodiesel engine, I'll be even more impressed. How likely am I to be disappointed? Eh... we'll see.
If Acura does decide to put a turbo in the TSX, I think it will be a very limited edition. Now, the turbo with SH-AWD, that may be asking too much.

My guess (and it's a big guess) is that the 2008 TSX will be the same basic car you see today (I just hope they offer the damn lip spoiler as an option), only difference is that the engine bay will be "configured" to hold the RDX turbo (or similar) to allow a few tuner shops or private owners with enough dough to put the turbo in and gauge interest that way.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I read it'll have laser beams to detour would be robbers

Old 02-06-2007, 03:33 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

My is that Acura won't abandon the n.a. K24 motor in the TSX for both cost and customer reasons. They're selling 30,000+ TSXs per year in its fourth model year, the demographic for the car isn't really tuners or speedsters as much as youthful people wanting a luxury marque and luxury amenities in an affordable, reliable, sporting car with good gas mileage.

My sense is they'll offer SH-AWD with a beefed-up n.a. 4cyl and might offer a Type-S with a turbo mid-cycle. Acura will continue to be a value leader in the luxury segment, and while I'd love to see tons of add-ons as much as the next guy, what you don't want the TSX to turn into is a $32k, 3500-lb. straight-line burner.

For my , I wouldn't want a turbocharged TSX. If that were all they offered, I'd most likely buy something else when the time comes. (In, like, 2014.)
Old 02-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TroyTSX808
But on the other hand why would anyone buy a TSX for over $30K when you could get the G35 sedan (that will probably out-do the TSX in nearly every category) for almost just as much? The nex-gen TL, with its 300+hp and SH-AWD, is supposed to be the G35 competitor.
Two of my friends have that car, and I'll tell you exactly why.

1) The interior of the G35 (in '06) looked cheap (speaking about the dash here, the leather used in the seats is a little better, and I liked the leather wrapped around the steering wheel as well). Acura's interior, to me, is incredibly clean. Ask around the Infiniti crowd, and they'll tell you that the G35's interior is a bit cheap-looking on the '06. I think the '07 was supposed to get an upgrade, but I haven't seen it yet.

2) Trunk. OK, these are ~$30k cars here. If I could afford more than one car, I would either buy two cheaper cars, or have enough money to move up to the BMW. I'm not sure what Infiniti is thinking, but that trunk isn't even big enough to get groceries with. I'm sorry, but that ALONE is a deal-breaker for me. I also head to my home town (packing two suitcases and bringing my home computer w/ LCD along) every winter for my vacation. I could not make that trip with a G35. There is absolutely not enough room in that car for two suitcases (big suitcases), a desktop computer, an LCD, and anything else (it's X-mas time, so I always leave with a few extra presents). It's just horrendous.

3) Rear-wheel drive. I know most say that this is a bonus, but I live in Kansas City. We get snow. That car (and again, I have a friend here with one so I know for a fact) can't drive in snow. Completely uncontrollable.

4) Poor gas mileage. The TSX looks very sporty, but it's really more of a luxury car to me. If I were buying a sports car, I could handle bad gas mileage, but this is my main car, and mileage is very important. I've only had it 6-7 months, and I've put on over 11k miles on it, mostly highway. The G35 would have cost me twice what the TSX does in gas.

Sorry, that issue gets me fired up. The G35 is just crap in my opinion. If you have that much money, buy a 3-series.
Also, I have heard rumors that the '08 TSX might get a turbo, either with the K24 or the K23 from the RDX. Can anyone confirm this? A turbo would easily push the TSX to around 250hp. But it is already getting SH-AWD, and a turbo would not only make it more expensive, but less reliable as well. Thanks.
Turbo rumors have been around since before it was released for the '04 model year. I don't see it happening.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:32 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Not to get too far off subject, but for me there are just too many know-nothing-about-cars dudeskis driving G35s (almost universally automatics, almost universally dirty with wrappers and used coffee cups inside).

The TSX is uncommon, not only in numbers but in what it is. A powerful n.a. 4cyl that is smooth, elegantly styled, sporty, nimble, good on gas, and reliable. Even the addition of SH-AWD is, in my opinion, largely an affectation that adds weight and complexity and requires horsepower. I'm hoping Acura doesn't abandon its n.a. roots for turbocharging. Where's the beauty in that? Every hopped-up Mazda econobox and tuner-mobile seems to have a turbocharger or a V6 in it.

I like to be different. That's part of the TSX's attraction both visually and mechanically, I hope they stay with that. If I can get 230 hp out of the thing, certainly Acura can without piping in a turbo.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:21 PM
808 State

Originally Posted by TallestTSX
Two of my friends have that car, and I'll tell you exactly why.

1) The interior of the G35 (in '06) looked cheap (speaking about the dash here, the leather used in the seats is a little better, and I liked the leather wrapped around the steering wheel as well). Acura's interior, to me, is incredibly clean. Ask around the Infiniti crowd, and they'll tell you that the G35's interior is a bit cheap-looking on the '06. I think the '07 was supposed to get an upgrade, but I haven't seen it yet.

2) Trunk. OK, these are ~$30k cars here. If I could afford more than one car, I would either buy two cheaper cars, or have enough money to move up to the BMW. I'm not sure what Infiniti is thinking, but that trunk isn't even big enough to get groceries with. I'm sorry, but that ALONE is a deal-breaker for me. I also head to my home town (packing two suitcases and bringing my home computer w/ LCD along) every winter for my vacation. I could not make that trip with a G35. There is absolutely not enough room in that car for two suitcases (big suitcases), a desktop computer, an LCD, and anything else (it's X-mas time, so I always leave with a few extra presents). It's just horrendous.

3) Rear-wheel drive. I know most say that this is a bonus, but I live in Kansas City. We get snow. That car (and again, I have a friend here with one so I know for a fact) can't drive in snow. Completely uncontrollable.

4) Poor gas mileage. The TSX looks very sporty, but it's really more of a luxury car to me. If I were buying a sports car, I could handle bad gas mileage, but this is my main car, and mileage is very important. I've only had it 6-7 months, and I've put on over 11k miles on it, mostly highway. The G35 would have cost me twice what the TSX does in gas.

Sorry, that issue gets me fired up. The G35 is just crap in my opinion. If you have that much money, buy a 3-series.

Turbo rumors have been around since before it was released for the '04 model year. I don't see it happening.

I was in fact reffering to the 2007 G35 sedan. I've heard that the interior has improved alot over the previous generation (a trend I've been seeing in alot of Nissans/Infinitis). Isn't the trunk volume on the '07 G35 13.5 cubic ft? The TSX trunk is 13.2 cu. ft, which means the new G35 trunk is actually larger. To solve your RWD problem, the AWD G35x is available for something like $34K, and it comes with many amenities standard. You can't get a 6spd with the AWD option, but AWD is available for the people in snowy areas-it doesn't matter here in Hawaii, it never snows (However it does cost alot to live in paradise-there is only 1 dealership of many of the premium brands, so you cant haggle much since there is a monopoly. Also if it matters at all the median house price is almost $700K, and trust me this is not for a mansion.) But it does get pretty crappy mileage.

I'm not saying the TSX is bad (in fact I want one), I'm just saying that a TSX-class vehicle could not compete with something like the G35. The TL competes with the G35. About the turbo, I just think that there is a small chance that Acura will put one in the nex-gen TSX, since it worked out fine with the K23 in the RDX. Might be a little costly to produce for a sub-$30K car though. But since Acura said they're moving up-market, perhaps it won't be sub-$30K? If you ask me, it looks like Acura is trying to compete with Audi. The nex-gen NSX looks as if it will go into a head-on battle with the Audi R8. The TSX and A4 2.0T are almost perfect rivals. The nex-gen RL is supposed to get a V8 and an increase in size, perhaps to battle the A6? By developing and offering SH-AWD on all models, Acura can compete directly with the legendary Quattro system. I'm not saying Acura is ignoring its Japanese rivals, I just see an interesting correlation between the 3 main European lux brands (Audi, BMW, Merc), and the 3 main Japanese lux brands (Acura, Infiniti, Lexus). As if it were Audi vs. Acura, BMW vs. Infiniti, and Lexus vs. Merc. GT-R vs. M3? G35 vs. 330/335i? Infiniti M vs. 5-series? LS460h vs. S550? IS-F vs. AMG C-class? I just found it funny how these lux brands had models that were almost perfect rivals.

Also, are you guys sure the 2008 TSX will be the current body style? Many places I've read say that they will release it this fall, shortly after the USDM Accord comes out.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:41 PM
TSX: Boeing Dreamliner!

I thought I heard on vtec.net that the 2008 Accord will get a 2.5L L4 - basically a K series engine just bored out a bit. We know the 2008 TSX will not change much but I've only remembered Honda using a different engine with the same body style once (the 2.3L VTEC available in the last year of the small Odyssey minivan - replacing the 2.2L VTEC, before the big body change). So I have a feeling that Honda may bring the 2.5L to the TSX with polishing and higher compression - likely to deliver +10 hp and maybe a bit better boost in torque. On the other hand, if they do actually move to this 2.5L, and with Honda's refusal to go direct injection and no apparent thoughts toward the CVT tranny, Honda may keep the hp the same in the Accord for 2008 (and also the TSX) and tune the 2.5L to be more efficient compared the now class leading 4 cylinder Altima (with the CVT) in efficiency (8.9L/100km in the city for the 07 Altima with CVT). My final thought: I think the TSX will follow the Accord L4 engine. I see a hp change to maybe 175 in the Acccord and 210 in the TSX with up to a 10 lb/ft boost in torque for each but with a tuning toward better efficiency to tie that of the Altima with the CVT. I wish Honda offered the 3.0L J series in the TSX - I don't think its that much heavier but would deliver alot more torque and power. As far as turbos go - the RDX owner are complaining of terrible fuel economy - there's no way the TL should or will get better mileage than a TSX - so I don't see the turbo in the TSX in the near future unless they can improve the efficiency.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:33 AM
Honda does engines.

Originally Posted by cibs

2008 will be just another regular TSX with the new one coming out in 2009...

I personally don't think they'll go RWD, as honda doesn't make any RWD cars other than the s2000 and NSX (unless i'm mistaken) they either have FWD or SH-AWD...

alot of people want more from this car than it's supposed to be... it's supposed to be at this pricepoint, cheaper than the competition... with a focus on quality/handling etc, not horsepower... as honda has always been focused. I really don't think they're going to turn the TSX into a 300 hp monster, although i can see it going up to 240... MAYBE having a turbo charged option, but that would probably come with SH-AWD not RWD...
Yeah, I threw the RWD idea out there for kicks and it's true that Honda likes to stay with FWD for efficiency and weight reasons.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:38 AM
Honda does engines.

Originally Posted by peter_bigblock
My is that Acura won't abandon the n.a. K24 motor in the TSX for both cost and customer reasons. They're selling 30,000+ TSXs per year in its fourth model year, the demographic for the car isn't really tuners or speedsters as much as youthful people wanting a luxury marque and luxury amenities in an affordable, reliable, sporting car with good gas mileage.

My sense is they'll offer SH-AWD with a beefed-up n.a. 4cyl and might offer a Type-S with a turbo mid-cycle. Acura will continue to be a value leader in the luxury segment, and while I'd love to see tons of add-ons as much as the next guy, what you don't want the TSX to turn into is a $32k, 3500-lb. straight-line burner.

For my , I wouldn't want a turbocharged TSX. If that were all they offered, I'd most likely buy something else when the time comes. (In, like, 2014.)
I think going upmarket with a higher price is hard to deny since the RSX is gone now. There's no real reason for Honda to keep the TSX so affordable (relatively speaking anyway). There's higher profit margin for more upmarket vehicles with more features. Value will still be better than the competitors at the expense of some performance, but maybe the turbo will bring the TSX closer to the 3-series in this respect.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:45 AM
Honda does engines.

Not to get too far off subject, but for me there are just too many know-nothing-about-cars dudeskis driving G35s (almost universally automatics, almost universally dirty with wrappers and used coffee cups inside).

The TSX is uncommon, not only in numbers but in what it is. A powerful n.a. 4cyl that is smooth, elegantly styled, sporty, nimble, good on gas, and reliable. Even the addition of SH-AWD is, in my opinion, largely an affectation that adds weight and complexity and requires horsepower. I'm hoping Acura doesn't abandon its n.a. roots for turbocharging. Where's the beauty in that? Every hopped-up Mazda econobox and tuner-mobile seems to have a turbocharger or a V6 in it.

I like to be different. That's part of the TSX's attraction both visually and mechanically, I hope they stay with that. If I can get 230 hp out of the thing, certainly Acura can without piping in a turbo.
How about this idea while staying with the NA engine. Take half of the V10 that's coming out for the NSX replacement in 2010 and drop it into the TSX. I know the Vigor models had fives, so maybe a similar engine will make a return to the lineup. It's certainly distinctive and original. I've never experienced a Honda five for myself, but if anyone can do an unconventional engine, it's Honda. They will need to get the engine sounds right because most people who buy Honda/Acuras like their engines to sound good and rev high.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:06 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
This is my opinion of course, but every 5 cylinder engine I've heard sounds pretty awkward... whether it's the engine in a Volvo S70, an old Audi, or the old Vigor. I can't say I'm a fan.

If Honda is going to keep a 4 cylinder in the TSX (which is a good idea in principle) but keep it naturally aspirated, I think they should produce a nice square or oversquare K series--something with a big bore with plenty of room for fat valves. It's been done before--look at the 3.0 liter 4 banger in the Porsche 968. That was a brilliant engine back in its day. Get away from this obscenely undersquare architecture and complaints of cylinder filling at high RPM.

An engine like that with a similar i-VTEC valvetrain and a multi-stage intake manifold would yield excellent performance AND would still be capable of handling high RPM operation.

I also think the TSX would be fantastic with a lower compression version of the K24 and a supercharger (running light/mild boost). I think the progressive torque/power band and absence of boost lag would match the TSX's other characteristics perfectly.

We don't want to overpower the TSX--that would be destructive IMO, but give it something that's novel and effortless without the added weight of a 6 cylinder.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:39 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
08 should be a carryover year again.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:52 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cmschmie
If Acura does decide to put a turbo in the TSX, I think it will be a very limited edition. Now, the turbo with SH-AWD, that may be asking too much.

My guess (and it's a big guess) is that the 2008 TSX will be the same basic car you see today (I just hope they offer the damn lip spoiler as an option), only difference is that the engine bay will be "configured" to hold the RDX turbo (or similar) to allow a few tuner shops or private owners with enough dough to put the turbo in and gauge interest that way.
Why would it be limited edition? Are any Acura's (outside of the NSX) limited edition.

The LAST thing Acura or any other manufacture for that matter is thinking about is what after market tuner shops can do to their cars.

I have to say, its been awhile I since read a post that made so little sense.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:53 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Big
Old 02-07-2007, 02:10 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Come on now, Acura cant forget about it's "tooner" roots now can they. What will become of them if they cant apeal to 16 year old asians with spikey hair?
Old 02-07-2007, 03:33 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

I think going upmarket with a higher price is hard to deny since the RSX is gone now. There's no real reason for Honda to keep the TSX so affordable (relatively speaking anyway). There's higher profit margin for more upmarket vehicles with more features. Value will still be better than the competitors at the expense of some performance, but maybe the turbo will bring the TSX closer to the 3-series in this respect.
I think Acura will continue to occupy the same space as Audi (as previously noted) of value and luxury and sportiness. I'll be shocked if they move the TSX, TL, or RL up into the "next" pricing level where they are no longer value-luxury compared to BMW or Lexus.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Why would it be limited edition? Are any Acura's (outside of the NSX) limited edition.
Price. I may be wrong here, but I could easily see a turbo, SH-AWD TSX pushing $40k. I don't think that many people would be will to spend that much money on a TSX, even if it did have all those goodies.
Will people do it? Yes, I ABSOLUTELY think so. Will enough people do it to make Acura think it'd be worth "building them for the masses", No.

Originally Posted by dom
The LAST thing Acura or any other manufacture for that matter is thinking about is what after market tuner shops can do to their cars.
I guess that's true, but I don't see it being more than a show car for 2008. Acura could see what interest there would be in a turbo TSX.
Acura: "Hey look, we can put a turbo in this car? What do you think?"
Average Joe: "That's cool, how can I do that?"
Average Jane: "What's the point? The TSX was/is a great car the way it was/is."

Originally Posted by dom
That's just mean
Old 02-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Racer

Im hoping like hell they release a nice tuner version, A spec, Type S, whatever...I dont need 300HP or anything like that, but RWD or AWD with 230-250ish range would sufice. Otherwise, that 2008 M3 will be in my garage...but if the TSX gets any performance boost, I could have that and a boat for the price of the stupid new M3
Old 02-07-2007, 09:21 PM
'06 TSX/ASM/Ebony/5AT/Nav

I can see two options that '08 TSX will get for sure: 1. AcuraLink with real time traffic, 2. ELS Surround. It doesn't cost that much to add these electronic gadgets, but adds a lot in the perceived value of the car (specially in the youthful TSX demographic). Plus, every other Acura has these options.

I also think we'd see all new TSX in '09, not in '08. TL/TSX redesigns always trail USDM Accord by 1 year, right?

For all new '09 TSX, I am fervently hoping for n.a. J30 rather than turbo K23. Honda has done almost magical things with n.a. engines in the past, so...
Old 02-07-2007, 11:32 PM
808 State

Price. I may be wrong here, but I could easily see a turbo, SH-AWD TSX pushing $40k. I don't think that many people would be will to spend that much money on a TSX, even if it did have all those goodies.
Will people do it? Yes, I ABSOLUTELY think so. Will enough people do it to make Acura think it'd be worth "building them for the masses", No.

I guess that's true, but I don't see it being more than a show car for 2008. Acura could see what interest there would be in a turbo TSX.

That's just mean

I highly doubt that a TSX will come out of the factory with an MSRP even close to $40K. Even if it had SH-AWD and a Turbo. I also don't think it would be a wise move for Acura to make a limited production vehicle other than the NSX. I think Acura should stay in the niche they currently hold in the market and price the nex-gen TSX at or around $30K with SH-AWD and a tuned version of the current naturally-aspirated K24 engine(220-230hp?). I think even a TL will not be $40K. Maybe $36Kish? That's supposed to have SH-AWD also. Their current marketing strategy seems to be working as Acura sales have never been higher. But as I stated in a pevious post, the G35 would smoke the TSX in almost all categories if it even came close to a G35 price. That's why I think a topline TSX shouldn't pass the $31K mark (G35 starts at under $32K kinda loaded). However the TL is a perfect competitor for the G35 if it gets SH-AWD and if they make it $36K, it would compete directly with a fully loaded G35-and promptly wipe it out .

I also like the idea of a Type-S version being offered with a Turbo (250-260hp?). Maybe they'll do that for the MMC. Kinda like they did for the current-gen TL (although I think it would have been wiser for them to have done that 1 model year earlier in '06). Why can't they call Acuras Type-R anymore? They did it for the last couple model years of Integra...idk, I just think Type-R sounds so much better than Type-S.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:44 PM
808 State

Originally Posted by Brandon24pdx
Come on now, Acura cant forget about it's "tooner" roots now can they. What will become of them if they cant apeal to 16 year old asians with spikey hair?
lol im a 16 year old asian! no spikey hair tho... But I'm pretty sure nearly all of the people in my demographic doesn't have enough money for an Acura. Or even a car, period, for that matter. Aren't Hondas supposed to be aimed at us?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:52 PM
808 State

You guys are enthusiasts too so you probably already saw this video, but for those of you who didn't, this is the Honda Sports 4 Concept from Tokyo 2005 that they basically said was the TSX concept. You probably already saw pics but the video is nice (pause it for a couple minutes before playing so it can load-or else it'll be kinda choppy).

http://world.honda.com/Tokyo2005/sports4/videos/

Also, if you don't already know how SH-AWD works better than most other AWD systems, here is another video. Of course it is a Honda video so they will be biased and say nothing but positive things, but it still shows you how it works sorta. Again, pause it for a while before you play it so it loads.

http://world.honda.com/HDTV/news/2004-4040401a/
Old 02-08-2007, 12:15 AM
808 State

Originally Posted by dom

I agree with most of what you said, but I just have to say don't forget Scion. Scion has been a pretty big success, and I think this is in part to the fact that they did pay attention to the after-market. But no, I really do not think Acura will go in this direction. They are a sport-lux brand, not a stripped Honda. I competely agree with you when you said this is the last thing they'll be paying attention to.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:18 AM
Honda does engines.

Originally Posted by junktionfet
This is my opinion of course, but every 5 cylinder engine I've heard sounds pretty awkward... whether it's the engine in a Volvo S70, an old Audi, or the old Vigor. I can't say I'm a fan.

If Honda is going to keep a 4 cylinder in the TSX (which is a good idea in principle) but keep it naturally aspirated, I think they should produce a nice square or oversquare K series--something with a big bore with plenty of room for fat valves. It's been done before--look at the 3.0 liter 4 banger in the Porsche 968. That was a brilliant engine back in its day. Get away from this obscenely undersquare architecture and complaints of cylinder filling at high RPM.

An engine like that with a similar i-VTEC valvetrain and a multi-stage intake manifold would yield excellent performance AND would still be capable of handling high RPM operation.

I also think the TSX would be fantastic with a lower compression version of the K24 and a supercharger (running light/mild boost). I think the progressive torque/power band and absence of boost lag would match the TSX's other characteristics perfectly.

We don't want to overpower the TSX--that would be destructive IMO, but give it something that's novel and effortless without the added weight of a 6 cylinder.
I like the idea of a supercharger because it's different from the turbocharger and you get the more progressive and more torquey? power band. Plus you're right about maintaining the balance between performance, weight and economy. Honda carefully considers all these things instead of going for all out numbers and performance which is how the company has mostly approached their engines and the vehicles that surround them. I think most people understand either consciously or subconsciously that the engines are the solid foundation that Honda develops the rest of the vehicle to drive in a balanced and pleasing manner. More horsepower is always great, but handling and vehicle dynamics provide a subtle and ultimately more satisyfing driving experience, especially given the way gas prices have gone in the past two years.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:22 AM
Honda does engines.

Originally Posted by Brandon24pdx
These guys may need to stick with the Civics because the Acuras are moving upscale like it or not. The product offerings are all driven mostly by economics. Of course, there will always be kids who have parents that can afford to buy toys that cost $30k plus and won't have a problem buying the TSX no matter how much it costs.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:30 AM
Honda does engines.

Originally Posted by L1StarTSX
Im hoping like hell they release a nice tuner version, A spec, Type S, whatever...I dont need 300HP or anything like that, but RWD or AWD with 230-250ish range would sufice. Otherwise, that 2008 M3 will be in my garage...but if the TSX gets any performance boost, I could have that and a boat for the price of the stupid new M3
Yeah, BMWs and especially M3s will always be overpriced even if the fun-to-drive, goes like a monster factor remains high. Along with the plusses are the minuses of high insurance and high maintenance costs when the warranty expires. Like it or not, Acuras will always offer better bang for the buck than the BMWs. You get more standard equipment for less money. Anyway, this being said, what you buy is all based on personal preference so people will buy what speaks to them and ultimately makes them smile. Plus diversity is always good for consumers and fans of upscale vehicles.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:22 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

The RDX doesn't cost 40K. And thats more or less a dedicated platform. 35K should be doable for a Turbo/SH-AWD TSX. And keep in mind that a NA 2.4/2.5L FWD TSX should still be available.

Acura/Honda rarely if ever probe public opinion. All of the concept cars they've released over the last few years (TSX/TL/RDX/MDX/RL) have pretty much been carried over to production as is. The public doesn't have much say unfortunately, although I can almost guarantee they are hearing the cries for more power.

That's just mean
Just kidding with you
Old 02-08-2007, 07:27 AM
Instructor

I like the idea of a supercharger because it's different from the turbocharger and you get the more progressive and more torquey? .
Turbos are better overall - they dont have a parasitic drag on the engine(horsepower robbing) because they use waste gas to create their power. The also atomize* the before it is sent to the engine which helps it create better fuel mileage. I own a 06 saab 9-3 aero(2.8liter twin scroll turbocharged) and during normal highway driving i get between 28-32mpg. The highest i got with a tail wind was 36.

These numbers beat the real world numbers that most TSX members are getting with a 205hp(no torque) 4 cylinder engine, In compairison to a 2.8liter 250hp(258torque). Now if they took the 4 banger with turbo out of the rdx it would be a match made in heaven.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:14 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
honda variable-flow turbo >> supercharger

IMO
Old 04-02-2007, 12:45 AM
5th Gear

i'm thinking about getting a TSX as well...likely new with the navi. But my other option is a slightly used BMW 3 Series, like an '05 or '06. Ive been kinda turned off from a bimmer b/c of "high" maintenance costs (how high, i dont really know) and accepted relatively short effective life (about 100-150kmiles). So, being a Honda owner all my life, i thought id check out the TSX and i absolutely love it!. My questions are:
1) Is a TSX more expensive to maintain than something like an Accord? Is it signficiant?
2) Will a TSX last me to 150k-200k miles as my accord has?

thanks for your feedback. Im new to this forum but it looks spectacular!

Quick Reply: Speculations on the 2008 TSX?