Sorry to ask but.."is this a good deal"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 12:22 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to ask but.."is this a good deal"?

SSM TSX auto with Navi,all season floor matts,mud guards,
wheel locks and trunk liner (all installed). $28,100 that includes the destination. Is this average, good or bad? Thanks for any help or advice.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:26 PM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

Sounds good. Considering 28,900 is MSRP plus dest without any of those accessories, that's a nice deal. Not as good as some, better than mine, but I wouldn't be complaining.

-r
Old 01-03-2004, 12:29 PM
Yeah..

$28,100 is good even without those accessories added. If that was offered to me I'd take it. And if it was me, I would also see if I could have them add the clear bra protection package for $300 more (usually goes for around $500).
Old 01-03-2004, 02:41 PM
A-TSX Driver...

Re: Sorry to ask but.."is this a good deal"?

Originally posted by roverhater
SSM TSX auto with Navi,all season floor matts,mud guards,
wheel locks and trunk liner (all installed). $28,100 that includes the destination. Is this average, good or bad? Thanks for any help or advice.
It's a bad deal.

I got all those same accessories (except the floor mats) and got the dealer to take $2,200 off the sticker price. Mine didn't include Navi, but you're still only getting $800 off MSRP.

I'd go look somewhere else.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:51 PM
Instructor

MSRP w/destination and extras would be $29,405. Thats 1305 off of MSRP.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:58 PM
The Voice of Reason

It depends on where you live.

Go to http://www.carsdirect.com/ select the Acura TSX, put in your zip code, look at the "price" then SUBTRACT $500 and add the value of the "extras". The resulting number is a "good deal".
Old 01-03-2004, 04:03 PM
Instructor

Target price is 29035 plus add ons =29400-500=28900
Old 01-03-2004, 08:14 PM
A-TSX Driver...

Originally posted by bob shiftright
It depends on where you live.

Go to http://www.carsdirect.com/ select the Acura TSX, put in your zip code, look at the "price" then SUBTRACT $500 and add the value of the "extras". The resulting number is a "good deal".
NO WAY!

You need to consider far more than just $500 off of the "price". If you buy a car that way, you're robbing yourself. You need to work from invoice, allow for all rebates/incentives (none on TSX), factory holdback (I think it's 3% for Acura...can't remember off-hand), and then factor in an adequate profit margin for the dealer (3% - 5%). There's also an invoice (vs. list) price on all accessories.

When I was buying, several of the dealers were throwing in the trunk liner, wheel locks & mud guards for free - before we even started to negotate. In this case, they should be eliminated from the $ equation. (They're really not worth that much, that's why they're the first thing thrown in by a dealer.)

MSRP (with destination) for Navi is $28,990. To get the $29,405 quoted, the accessories would have to be worth $415. If you pay $415 for a trunk tray, wheel locks, mud guards, and floor mats, you're paying full list and nothing less. They're definitely not worth $415 IMO.

A good deal is measured by the level of profit you are allowing the dealer to retain. The smaller the profit % for the dealer, the better the deal for you. You need to shop around for a better deal. At least in my area, the TSX isn't selling like hot-cakes. As long as they are sitting in the showroom floor, there's room to bargain.

If you get a dealer down to a 3% - 5% profit margin, you got a good deal. If the car is hot in your area, you may have to sacrifice for a higher %, but use the "fair" % as your guide.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:55 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by hondaboy_tsx
If the car is hot in your area, you may have to sacrifice for a higher %, but use the "fair" % as your guide.
I don't disagree with anything you said, but isn't this (how well it's selling locally) the most important factor for whether the deal is good or not?? It's certainly more than I saved (I won't claim to have broke the dealer with my one deal) in an area where they were selling very well.

rover, just looking at the numbers I'd proclaim your deal 'average'. hondaboy got a great deal. Maybe you can milk some more accessories (fogs?) out of them for the same price?
Old 01-04-2004, 06:59 PM
Automobile Aficionado

Re: Re: Sorry to ask but.."is this a good deal"?

It's a bad deal.

I got all those same accessories (except the floor mats) and got the dealer to take $2,200 off the sticker price. Mine didn't include Navi, but you're still only getting $800 off MSRP.

2,200 off sticker?? i doubt that unless they were listing it over sticker. Body kit??
so you are saying you got it for alittle over invoice?
Old 01-04-2004, 07:10 PM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

I'd like to see a scan of the sticker/sales writeup before believing 2200 off.

rover: I still believe its a good deal. Not great, but not worth lots of dealer grinding just to get another $200 or so off.

-r
Old 01-04-2004, 08:02 PM
ySL
Advanced

Re: Re: Sorry to ask but.."is this a good deal"?

It's a bad deal.

hondaboy, so you're saying anyone who doesn't get the exceptionally good deal that you got is getting ripped off?
Old 01-04-2004, 09:03 PM
A-TSX Driver...

Re: Re: Re: Sorry to ask but.."is this a good deal"?

Originally posted by ySL
hondaboy, so you're saying anyone who doesn't get the exceptionally good deal that you got is getting ripped off?
I think those are your words, not mine.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:13 PM
A-TSX Driver...

Re: Re: Re: Sorry to ask but.."is this a good deal"?

Originally posted by NJtsx
2,200 off sticker?? i doubt that unless they were listing it over sticker. Body kit??
so you are saying you got it for alittle over invoice?
I got the car for $2,200 off of the MSRP sticker price. No body kit, no fog lights, etc...just the plain non-navi car. And no, it wasn't listed above sticker.

I don't have a scanner to show you all the proof in the world, and it doesn't really matter. Believe what you may. After accounting for factory holdback, there is roughly $3,100 in pure profit to the dealer on a non-navi TSX if it's sold at MSRP. If you think the dealers can only afford to give you $500 off, go for it. I, on the other hand, know the numbers, and handed them the facts when it came time to buy.

When it's my money, I'll grind a dealer for every penny. They don't go out of their way to give a good deal, you have to work for it.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:25 PM
Automobile Aficionado

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sorry to ask but.."is this a good deal"?

I got the car for $2,200 off of the MSRP sticker price. No body kit, no fog lights, etc...just the plain non-navi car. And no, it wasn't listed above sticker.

I don't have a scanner to show you all the proof in the world, and it doesn't really matter. Believe what you may. After accounting for factory holdback, there is roughly $3,100 in pure profit to the dealer on a non-navi TSX if it's sold at MSRP. If you think the dealers can only afford to give you $500 off, go for it. I, on the other hand, know the numbers, and handed them the facts when it came time to buy.

When it's my money, I'll grind a dealer for every penny. They don't go out of their way to give a good deal, you have to work for it.
Ok...thats nice
but my best friend sold me the car. their is no wy anyone in the first year is gonna get that kind of money off sticker....And the TSX(non nav) is marked for about 2800 in profit....the most youll get is 1000 off unless you get a body kit for cost or something. not even the owners son at the dealership near me got the car at that kind of money.
So are you saying you got the car for 24,990????
i guess if you did get that deal...its a great one, esoecially in the first year of production.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:47 PM
A-TSX Driver...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sorry to ask but.."is this a good deal"?

Originally posted by NJtsx
their is no wy anyone in the first year is gonna get that kind of money off sticker
I guess I lucked out then.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sorry to ask but.."is this a good deal"?

After accounting for factory holdback, there is roughly $3,100 in pure profit to the dealer..

I'm not going to argue how much you saved buying the car, that's your business. I do however think that this is an absurd statement. This is the type of statement made from an employee and not an employer. It's the type of person who gets a W2 instead of a 1099. I realize that not all will fit into this category. I also know that not all will get what this means.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I got mine for $25,000 which included standard (not all-weather) floormats, splash guards, wheel locks, and trunk liner. 5AT, non-navi. $25,000 included destination charge but still had to add tax & license. I think I got a great price. Purchased 12 days before the end of the year and the dealer had it in-stock.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:49 PM
A-TSX Driver...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sorry to ask but.."is this a good deal"?

Originally posted by KC 2004 TSX
I do however think that this is an absurd statement. This is the type of statement made from an employee and not an employer. It's the type of person who gets a W2 instead of a 1099. I realize that not all will fit into this category. I also know that not all will get what this means.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:50 PM
Advanced

Getting good deals depends on where you are located. I got mine (non-navi/AT) for $25200 which is $1800 below MSRP and that was back by the end of July at a time when the market was hotter, although it may be still as hot. However, there are many Acura dealers available here and one was willing to deal!!

They didn't include anything else for free. No junk dealer fees as well (just a $50 documnetation fee)