Some Questions about the NAV

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 11:01 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Some Questions about the NAV

Hello all you NAV owners! I have some questions that I need answers for that would justify me purchasing this extra $2K option.

1. If you were stuck in traffic due to an accident or for any other reason, would the NAV provide you with an alternate escape route to avoid the traffic jam? If so, how does it know...does it get the traffic report from the satellite feed?

2. Let's say that you were traveling to a destination point that you were not familiar with, and you pulling up the NAV directions. Does the computer voice from the NAV system guide you step by step? For example: "Please turn left at Madison Rd." "Approaching Sterling Avenue, please turn right". Is the NAV capable of giving these minute by minute voice commands, so that you don't have to constantly view the screen for directions?

3. Can the NAV locate points of interest? Let's say you wanted to find an Italian restaurant nearby...you then enter your inputs into the NAV, will it pin-point your location and advise you of the closest spot (pending that it's in the database of the DVD)?

Maybe I'm expecting too much from this NAV system, but I've never owned one before. I just recently saw a commercial on TV about the new 2004 RL that was able to pin-point the location of the vehicle, and base on the inputs from the driver it located a Seafood restaurant nearby and directed the driver to that spot. Is this NAV that sophisticated?

Thanks for all your help,
-S
Old 12-04-2003, 11:33 AM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. You can look right at the map and figure it out yourself. Otherwise no it can't.

2. yep it talks to you and tells you when and where you'll have to turn.

3. yep. Tell it what kind of food you want or just the closest one of any kind and it'll take you there.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:34 AM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
1. No

2. Yes

3. Yes
Old 12-04-2003, 12:07 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Regarding #1, yes you can plan an alternate route, but you have to manually do that. For example, when i am stuck in traffic, i press the detour button, and the navi automatically recalculates a new route, usually takes you off of the next exit and through local roads.

But it does not do this based on traffic conditions...that would be nice.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:57 PM
Intermediate

As for #1, if you approach a traffic jam or hear of a slow down on the radio, you can exit the freeway or otherwise make a turn, and the Navi will automatically recalculate your route.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:01 PM
Racer

It's really cool and useful, you really should go have a dealer demonstrate it for you.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:04 PM
More On

About #2: Even though people are saying "yes," it isn't really a yes, at least not in terms of how you asked it.

The voice DOES tell you where to turn, and how far ahead the turn is, but it DOESN'T say the street names.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:35 PM
Advanced

Thanks you guys! I want that toy option !

I'm glad to hear that #2 and #3 are positive notes about the NAV, and I can definitely live with the fact that if traffic is about then I can press the "DETOUR" button and be re-routed...GREAT TO HEAR. Now do you necessarily have to press the "DETOUR" button or will the NAV "automatically" re-route you...either way its a great tool to have.

Thanks again,
-S
Old 12-04-2003, 01:44 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by larchmont
About #2: Even though people are saying "yes," it isn't really a yes, at least not in terms of how you asked it.

The voice DOES tell you where to turn, and how far ahead the turn is, but it DOESN'T say the street names.

Thanks larchmont!

As long as it tells me where to turn and when, then I'm quite satisfied with that. Is there any delay in response time? For instance, can the NAV not warn you soon enough to make the turn when need be before it is too late, or is the communication with the satellite pretty instant?

Thanks,
-S
Old 12-04-2003, 02:10 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by overkast
Thanks larchmont!

As long as it tells me where to turn and when, then I'm quite satisfied with that. Is there any delay in response time? For instance, can the NAV not warn you soon enough to make the turn when need be before it is too late, or is the communication with the satellite pretty instant?

Thanks,
-S
Regarding #2, Larch is right but the screen lists the street you are on at all times. If you look.

Regarding #3, not only does it let you pull up your favorite Italian restaurants, it will give you the addresses and phone numbers. Helpful if you need to make reservations. Helpful if you are on the way to the restaurant and meed to tell them you are running late. Helpful if you are meeting people and they need the address.

You need to raise your expectations of the nav, not lower them! All this and it comes with the trip computer, calculator, voice recognition and calendar!
Old 12-04-2003, 02:34 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Jason
Regarding #2, Larch is right but the screen lists the street you are on at all times. If you look.

Regarding #3, not only does it let you pull up your favorite Italian restaurants, it will give you the addresses and phone numbers. Helpful if you need to make reservations. Helpful if you are on the way to the restaurant and meed to tell them you are running late. Helpful if you are meeting people and they need the address.

You need to raise your expectations of the nav, not lower them! All this and it comes with the trip computer, calculator, voice recognition and calendar!

WOW!!

Thanks Jason...I'm convinced. I'm definitely getting the NAV.

-S
Old 12-04-2003, 02:38 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by overkast
WOW!!

Thanks Jason...I'm convinced. I'm definitely getting the NAV.

-S
BEWARE:

Once you buy this car and taste the NAV system, you'll be stuck buying them forever b/c you won't be able to live without it.

I have been using an Acura nav system since April 2000 and I'm hooked.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:49 PM
2006 DGP Sold 10/24/2012

It warns you at 1/2 mi., 1/4 mi., second right, then next right. If you miss the turn it will either redirect you or advise a U-turn.

What it doesn't do is "learn"; if a street is blocked off it will still direct you to take it every time, even though you've refused to take that route many times before... that's about the only trick you can play on it though...

Santa Rosa Steve
Old 12-04-2003, 03:17 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

I'm never reading another nav thread again. I really want to play with one now!
Old 12-04-2003, 03:18 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BEWARE:

Once you buy this car and taste the NAV system, you'll be stuck buying them forever b/c you won't be able to live without it.

lol kind of like HIDs. Once on installed them on my other car I will never go back. Then to get a car with them stock it makes me feel that way even more.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:46 PM
Advanced

BEWARE:

I'm already hooked and I've never had one before. I can't wait to get one.

-S
Old 12-04-2003, 04:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

As for #1... as somebody said... you can recalculate your route at any point... i am actually surprised there isn't a detour (maybe there is, don't own a TSX with navi) button... which does this in other cars with NAVI.

So at any point you can get off the recommended route and have it recalculate a new route... so if you decide to avoid a traffic jam you can either press detour or get off onto another road and hit recalculate. The problem with recalculate is that it might try to get you back on the road you are trying to avoid... where as detour knows you are trying to avoid a certain road and calculates another path avoiding that road.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:55 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by tony4311
lol kind of like HIDs. Once on installed them on my other car I will never go back. Then to get a car with them stock it makes me feel that way even more.
Yeah that's another good example of once have, must have.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:39 PM
2006 DGP Sold 10/24/2012

Originally posted by DEVO
...you can recalculate your route at any point... i am actually surprised there isn't a detour (maybe there is, don't own a TSX with navi) button... which does this in other cars with NAVI.
Lot's of options here:[list=1][*]Direct Route[*]Easy Route[*]Minimize Freeways[*]Minimize Toll Roads[*]Maximize Freeways[*]Detour[*]Avoid Streets[*]Cancel Current Route[*]Back to Current Route[/list=1]

Santa Rosa Steve
Old 12-04-2003, 06:43 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by DEVO
so if you decide to avoid a traffic jam you can either press detour or get off onto another road and hit recalculate.
There is NO button for recalculating routes because it will recalculate AUTOMATICALLY once you go off the route.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

ok... so #1 in overkast is yes... sort of... minus the traffic report.
Old 12-05-2003, 03:24 AM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by vwong
There is NO button for recalculating routes because it will recalculate AUTOMATICALLY once you go off the route.
Instant recalc is an optional feature which can be turned on and off via SETUP. On to have the system automatically recalculate as you go off the course or off to, well, not.