So my CarFax shows mileage inconsitency, am I screwed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 12:19 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So my CarFax shows mileage inconsitency, am I screwed?

Please see below image of my carfax report. When I bought the car I did noticed the miles on the actual ODO were about 3K miles lower than what was noted on the Carfax report, the seller merely informed me that it were a clerical error and that these things occur often. To be honest I didnt think much of it at the time since I really couldnt see why or understand the need to roll back 3K miles and took their word for it.
Now the carfax report is showing this as an issue, since the miles the selling dealer notated to Carfax is lower than the ones they notated to carfax a week before.
What options do I have?
I have emailed CarFax but not holding my breath for anything to occur.

Name:  carfax.jpg
Views: 11601
Size:  75.2 KB
Old 09-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The mileage inconsistencies do look weird especially since heir is no obvious error like instead of 48,056 it was recorded as 41,056. The 2 n it umbers are totally off. That said, I bet it was just reported wrong. Its an electronic Odometer anyway, rolling it back has got be next to impossible.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:40 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
You're giving Carfax too much credit. I agree it's most likely a typo and most in the know realize that their report is of limited value anyway. Stop worrying about it and enjoy your car.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:31 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I agree with everyone here, probably a typo.

You have ask what the motive would be to go to the trouble of backing down the odometer, (and as Jimmy said, I understand digital odometers are a real challenge) -- and then taking off only 3,000 miles. Seems like they would take off a significant amount if they could manage to do it at all.

Last edited by Boulder TSX; 09-18-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Ok thanks guys for the help, the wife said the same thing, CALM DOWN

I am relatively new to the USA so I guess I over valued Carfax.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Modding newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have to be very careful with Carfax and Autocheck and anything like that. They're just like Experian, Equifax, and Transunion. They just report what was told to them. They're far from perfect and most of them have one or more errors in them. Just look at your own credit report, it's probably got errors in it too.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:57 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Itchytoe
You have to be very careful with Carfax and Autocheck and anything like that. They're just like Experian, Equifax, and Transunion. They just report what was told to them. They're far from perfect and most of them have one or more errors in them. Just look at your own credit report, it's probably got errors in it too.
Ive only been here 3 years so not much to report on my credit report
Old 09-21-2010, 01:26 AM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Good luck trying to correct info with CarFax. It is very difficult to deal with.

Here is what is worse. More and more dealers and auto repair shops are providing data to CarFax without your permission. So when you take your car in for an oil change or scheduled maintenance service, the dealer may sell the service details to CarFax.

This -- to me -- is an invasion of privacy, especially if you don't sign anything permitting the dealer to do so. It also potentially introduces more errors and inconsistencies into the vehicle's CarFax record.

In my case, the dealer had a typo and reversed the first two digits of the odometer reading, from 12xxx to 21xxx. This then got recording as potential odometer fraud by CarFax.

My advice is to ask the repair shop or dealer if it does indeed sell its data to CarFax, and then insist that it doesn't not provide your vehicle's records to CarFax.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:00 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by kixo
Good luck trying to correct info with CarFax. It is very difficult to deal with.

Here is what is worse. More and more dealers and auto repair shops are providing data to CarFax without your permission. So when you take your car in for an oil change or scheduled maintenance service, the dealer may sell the service details to CarFax.

This -- to me -- is an invasion of privacy, especially if you don't sign anything permitting the dealer to do so. It also potentially introduces more errors and inconsistencies into the vehicle's CarFax record.

In my case, the dealer had a typo and reversed the first two digits of the odometer reading, from 12xxx to 21xxx. This then got recording as potential odometer fraud by CarFax.

My advice is to ask the repair shop or dealer if it does indeed sell its data to CarFax, and then insist that it doesn't not provide your vehicle's records to CarFax.
I am going to the acura dealer today to get the power steering recall done. I am going to ask the service manager about this.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:48 AM
it's a car-drive it

If that were true-when I re-register my car each year in NC does the DMV sell that info to carfax.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:02 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
I am going to the acura dealer today to get the power steering recall done. I am going to ask the service manager about this.
Update: The service manager looked up my tsx on carfax and it showed two things-an oil change/tire rotation from Acura of Reno and a recall. None of the other services showed up.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:34 AM
Instructor

The Acura dealer put my mileage onto the Carfax, I didnt even go in for a service just to discuss warranty items?

You can see it on my previous post at mileage approx 44K.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
If that were true-when I re-register my car each year in NC does the DMV sell that info to carfax.
Funny you should say this. My TSX had only one real owner prior, he lived in Arizona and moved to Florida, where I bought the car. Carfax states that I am the 3rd owner. pretty lame if you ask me.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
If you click on the free Carfax report that you can find on any dealership's web site, you'll see that many cars have pretty detailed info listed, while others do not. It all depends on where you go for service and if they give this info to Carfax. It's great if you're buying a used car, not so great if you value your privacy as the current owner. I don't really mind, as long as the records are correct, but it looks as though they are not always 100% accurate.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:25 PM
it's a car-drive it

the acura dealer I use does not give any service details to carfax-This is according to the Vice President of the dealership. He gave the same reasons as you did.