So it's 2007, why can't a car company figure out how to intigrate an ipod? I did.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 09:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am officially sad that I didn't get stock Navi for TSX...lol
Old 10-21-2007, 09:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by idelgado782
Will this work on a 2005 TSX?
I am sure it would...Dom's DVD player mod has been there forever.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:29 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice write up Honduh Chicken, I love the use of humor throughout the writeup! Funny stuff!
Old 10-21-2007, 11:17 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by xenonhid
Nice write up Honduh Chicken, I love the use of humor throughout the writeup! Funny stuff!
CAREFUL JACKASS! lol
Old 10-22-2007, 06:42 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,858 Likes on 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by kyotousa
I am officially sad that I didn't get stock Navi for TSX...lol
I am tempted to buy one off ebay and not wire it for navi and just use it for the screen for this unless I do a car pc I have been planing slowly for the last year.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:51 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,858 Likes on 2,579 Posts
amazing write up
Old 10-22-2007, 08:30 PM
E92

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
I am tempted to buy one off ebay and not wire it for navi and just use it for the screen for this unless I do a car pc I have been planing slowly for the last year.
If you get it, navi is worth it. I mean, if you're already gonna go thru the effort of putting it in, do it right, right?
Old 10-26-2007, 01:50 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MeHoo
I especially enjoyed the comment about if honda doesn't think people want this, you would send them the pdf's server logs.. just out of curiosity, whats it up to already?
Sept 1 - current = 2,703 downloads (I should put google ads on the download page) :P
Old 10-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MeHoo
Holy hell thats a whole lot of messing around to get a little more functionality than a DICE or usaspec unit.. except no touchscreen control?

Not for me, but i can't complain on the write-up. Great work on the explanation.

I've still yet to see a feature list of sorts to explain exactly what this gives you.. From the images i gather its remote control based [ew], but plays video as well as music, and includes all menus needed to navigate properly.. am i missing anything? Since i don't know for sure all that follows is based on assumption.

When i got my TSX i thought i'd use something like this, but in all reality i just plug in my ipod to my usaspec and hit skip a few times til i see a song i like. I don't use video at all, and i surely wouldn't while driving, so thats no use to me.. the only thing i lack is the song title displayed, which can be achieved by using a dice unit.

I guess the question is.. is this all really worth it to play videos? You lose the touchscreen [assumed] and you cant watch videos while driving anyways [illegal if in view of driver at least in michigan - not to mention dangerous], and i'd surely lose the remote...

Looking at all of this i can't help but think im missing a huge part of the story here.

Like i said, great write-up though. and PDF is so much more appreciated than a 50 page forum thread with randomly missing photo links. I especially enjoyed the comment about if honda doesn't think people want this, you would send them the pdf's server logs.. just out of curiosity, whats it up to already?
Here's what you get. You get a charging dock in your storage tray that you can slide your ipod into. It charges it and allows you to see (and navigate) all of your artists, songs, albums, etc in a nice smooth graphical interface much like you would sitting in front of your computer. You do NOT lose the touch screen, it still functions 100% for all oem operations, except when you switch the screen into "ipod" mode, you can't use the touchscreen to navigate your ipod, only the IR remote.

I didn't do it to be able to watch videos (allthough it was nice to play movies on a long road trip with the kids recently) I got it because I didn't like plugging my ipod into the arm rest and having 2 cables sticking out, trying to balance my ipod somewhere or stick it in the cup holder not to mention it's really hard to see the tiny ipod screen and use the sensitive click wheel to find an album or song while you're driving. I'm a gadget junkie so I also like the attention I get from people when they find out what I'm doing (playing songs from the ipod on the navi screen) Usually people are jelous when they are holding their ipod in their hands while they drive, or worse yet, they have to scan through the entire library one song at a time and get no text on the display.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TommySalami
How did you push the cable from the trunk to the dash without removing anything in between them? What did you do to make the cable go straight there?

it was tricky, but I did it. I started in the trunk, pushed it behind the rear passenger seat bolster, then down under the door sils (pushed it in with a small socket extension) then under the B pillar plastic, then up the kick panel, then under the glove box, into the rear of the center console.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:41 PM
E92

And it stayed straight? hm
Yeah I'm definitely doin this. Maybe not unitl a month or two, but definitely doin it, and ill take pics as i install
Old 10-27-2007, 12:36 PM
Instructor

So you did this mainly because you didnt want to use AUX..

To each his own, but IMO you gain barely anything compared to those of us with a dice/usaspec unit.. we can use touchscreen on oem stuff, and use the steering wheel controls or dash controls to change songs, etc [thats a big plus].. we cant watch videos, but we don't need a remote [thats another huge plus]. We can add a dock interface easily, and we can get much cheaper ones because we dont need to to pass any data through, just act as a dock.

On main question i think i can't figure out on my own.. if you get an incoming call on the bluetooth link, does it pause your music still? Since it doesnt seem as though the car controls work [hence the remote], then i am not sure if the car can pause the ipod.

Would this still work fine with a backup camera addon or does it interfere?

As i said before, great writeup though, not trying to take away from what you did, just trying to understand it more.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:34 PM
E92

Don't you sacrifice xm with the ipod things that use the screen? I thought you did..
Old 10-28-2007, 12:15 PM
Instructor

The screen does nothing on the audio page anyways, so no.. its not like you're missing anything. And my usaspec unit keeps xm in case i ever want to waste the money on it. DICE does not keep xm but it does allow text on screen.

The biggest deal with those two options is using the dash/steering controls as opposed to a remote you have to fumble to find. It seems this method adds in screen functionality, but not touch. Since i never have specific playlists i want to play, i just plug in and go and skip songs. Its not exactly difficult to grab the ipod and quickly change genre's though if needed.. just as difficult as watching a navi screen as it is to watch the ipod screen, and dangerous.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:44 PM
E92

Oh, I don't care about the steering wheel controls, I was thinking of just putting velcro on the remote and putting that inside the cup holder door, idk. What I want is something that'll let me control MORE than just song up or song down. I can reach for my iPod and do that right now without looking.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:50 PM
Instructor

Thats what i gathered this mod was mainly there for.. ease of navigation. To me though, i can simply change the genre or artist on my ipod just as easily as i could via the navi screen and remote. Now if it were touchscreen on the navi.. or respond to voice commands, that i can see being a worthwhile mod.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:29 PM
Cruisin'

When I was buying my car, the dealer said "this will hook up with your ipod" and I was admittedly a bit worried.

See, I hate apple, and itunes, and the ipod, and all that jazz. Consequently, I own an Archos MP3 player which interfaces beautifully with winamp (or just with windows explorer) and doesn't deal with all the DRM garbage. I was glad to see that I could in fact still hook it up to my TSX without needing a special headphone-to-ipod-jack connector.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm trying to do this right now with my 08 navi TSX. I have the Zune though. There are 2 Zune docks available. Both I can power using a usb out into a cig. lighter power adapter, so I won't need to go into as much detail trying to power the dock. I'm using the same wiring harness from the nav unit to an RCA out from the dock. Then for sound, I'd use left and right RCA out from the dock that terminate into a male mini plug that I'd run right into the stock aux port.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to wire the rest of it up though. I think the only thing that's missing is the switch to go from nav to video out from my Zune. I'm not sure how to do this part. Can anyone chime in? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Racer

Anyone? Basically, what I need to know is if the harness that we make to go out of the nav unit needs to be powered when I install the switch, or if the switch is there to simply go from nav to Zune display.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:49 PM
E92

I'm doin this now too, got one more visit to Radio Shack before I got all those parts I need to do electrical stuff. The homedock is finished to load from the front.

White, the switch is there to change the display, or really to trick the car into thinking it's in reverse and to trigger what it thinks is the back up camera. You do need power goin to the harness in the DVD-ROM, from the switch powered by the cigar lighter. Kinda confusing huh?
Old 01-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TommySalami
I'm doin this now too, got one more visit to Radio Shack before I got all those parts I need to do electrical stuff. The homedock is finished to load from the front.

White, the switch is there to change the display, or really to trick the car into thinking it's in reverse and to trigger what it thinks is the back up camera. You do need power goin to the harness in the DVD-ROM, from the switch powered by the cigar lighter. Kinda confusing huh?
Actually, that's exactly what I need to know.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:02 AM
ridiculously good looking

is there anything out there that will allow me to see the screen (and hear the audio) on my iPod touch on my 2004 navigation screen? i prefer not to have a remote like this solution, i want to control the ipod from the touch.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Racer

I finally got all of the parts together to do this. I installed everything last night. Took me maybe 2 hours. The hardest part for me was taking the trim piece off that covers the shifter and cupholders. My fingers are still raw from doing this. But I guess it shows how well the fit and finish is on the TSX.

I put my switch in a different place. I put it in one of the "dummy" switch covers by the VSA and sunroof switches. I'm using a Zune and not an iPod so everything shows up on the nav screen exactly as it does on my Zune screen.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Intermediate

I found a new "holder" to help modify the dock with! It's got a docking port built in, so no need to line it up so the ipod will plug in when you slide it in!

http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpa...p_leftorright=

I'm going to update the pdf right now with the link.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:29 PM
E92

Wow dude, I've been meaning to ask you, how is the sound quality on this? Same as when you plug it in AUX? I've got everything I need to put it in now, just gotta install.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:07 PM
aTLien

where do you live? i would pay to get this installed, prob work for a TL right?
Old 05-17-2009, 05:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DNvCross
When I was buying my car, the dealer said "this will hook up with your ipod" and I was admittedly a bit worried.

See, I hate apple, and itunes, and the ipod, and all that jazz. Consequently, I own an Archos MP3 player which interfaces beautifully with winamp (or just with windows explorer) and doesn't deal with all the DRM garbage. I was glad to see that I could in fact still hook it up to my TSX without needing a special headphone-to-ipod-jack connector.
Hi, i have Archos MP3 Player and wondering whcih year TSX have you got..Is it 2006 and later ??

Thanks
mars
Old 05-24-2009, 08:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Stupid question. How would I switch from a backup cam (uses the same homemade harness trick) and this?
Would I need a 3 way switch or something?
Old 05-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a little lost on this, could this work with a DVD player AND keep stock navi?