So... I eat at a lot of fancy restaurants...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 03:03 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So... I eat at a lot of fancy restaurants...

well SO WHAT says you.

well... here in LA... it's all about the car that you drive. on the weekends I go to places and my car ends up parked to Ferraris... tons of Mercedes and Bimmers...

yet I have to admit that in a lot full of the best cars money can buy... the TSX still looks hot. I was parked between a G35 and an S500 today... and a near a bunch of assorted luxury imports... and my car without a doubt was the nicest looking of them all.

although it rattles like the Mir space station... it is one HOT looking car.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:11 AM
bleh...

I totally agree with you...the TSX is so beautiful to look at. Even beside the Mercedes and Lexuses at my work I still can't get enough of how my TSX looks. In many ways I think it looks better than many of the luxury cars out there....ie. IS300, Volvo S60 and Mercedes C240.

Its almost like a premium luxury car, but with out that premium price.

Old 01-25-2004, 03:38 AM
Banned

and when I say "parked next to a Ferrari" I mean it. I was parked next to a beautiful red F-550 Maranello at the Pacific Dining Car last weekend... and my TSX still looked GREAT. and believe me if I didn't think so I wouldn't say it.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:47 AM
Advanced

this thread represents everything that is wrong with mankind
Old 01-25-2004, 12:20 PM
Intermediate

If this thread represents everything that is wrong with mankind...I don't want to be right.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:16 PM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Geez.. are you people blind with TSX love? seriously.. its a freaking ugly Honda. Face it. They've made the exterior plain and boring..... The Americans who designed the TL at least tried to correct some of the mistakes.

After attending the Detroit Auto Show last weekend, I can attest to this- Honda's cars are some of the most uninspiring, disjointed vehicles on the market. They've gotta realize that now that reliability, power, and build quality are all a given (on most makes), looks is what's going to sell.

You did a good job with the TL, the HSC/NSX.... it's time to start making complete, provocative designs Honda. Or, as the other thread states, prepare for market share loss.

J.
Old 01-25-2004, 02:07 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
May be I am also blind and wrong, but yes, the TSX is a really good-looking car! Every time I wished I had bought a BMW 3 series or a 04 TL, I just take a look at my TSX and I am in love all over again! LOL

The TSX may be described as bland and uninspiring. In fact, I find it not very photogenic. However, in person, when you see it 3-D, you will really appreciate the subtle designs here and there. The muscular, wedged shape. The creases on the side. The tasteful use of chrome a la BMW 3 series. The details in the headlights and the rear lights. And that rear quarter is just the best looking part! It definitely is not the most avant garde or innovative design, but it is so timeless and classy that this design will still look good in many years to come :-) Somehow, when you look at this car, it conveys a sense of sports and luxury, even though you may not know what it is (yet!).

JMHO...
Old 01-25-2004, 02:17 PM
Banned

Originally posted by dirk
this thread represents everything that is wrong with mankind
what... that human females won't have sex with you?
Old 01-25-2004, 02:52 PM
Bound for Europe

I'm no blind man.

I wouldn't buy a car I consider ugly. I don't expect a Honda/Acura to be the perfect execution of bold, daring styling. It's a foor door sedan afterall. It's no groundbreaking design I'll admit. I'm not expecting $35K to buy me the latest "look at me" car. I think the TSX is a damn cool looking car. Honestly.
Old 01-25-2004, 02:56 PM
More On

Originally posted by bowersan
Geez.. are you people blind with TSX love? seriously.. its a freaking ugly Honda. Face it. They've made the exterior plain and boring......
Hey Jeff.... having a bad day or something?

BTW this dude knows design (if T-shirts are any indication ), so if he says it's ugly and boring......

NAAAAHHHHH!
Old 01-25-2004, 03:19 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"its a freaking ugly Honda" - hmmm.

I actually find most (not all) Ferraris, Lambo's etc. to be hideously ugly - I much prefer the TSX and the TL to them. Honest. Same for most Porsche's and many other "premium" vehicles. I think the TSx is far more beautiful than them - and I don't even own a TSX.

And I know "design", too (mobile applications that generate a fair amount of income.... too bad I'm salaried). :-)
Old 01-25-2004, 03:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by bowersan
blah blah blah
what's a great looking car then? an a4? it looks like a freakin rectangle
Old 01-25-2004, 03:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by vitocorleone

I actually find most (not all) Ferraris, Lambo's etc. to be hideously ugly - I much prefer the TSX and the TL to them.
the enzo looks like crap too.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:48 PM
Cruisin' the Azine's

I think "hot & trendy" designs tend to die out very quickly; they don't tend to age well though they are all the rage when they first appear. At the end of the day it's the tried and true engineering that keeps customers coming back for more. You can have a great looking car, but if the driving experience and reliability record suck llamas, will you still say you "love" your car or would you rather have something that isn't flamin' hot but will scoot you from point A to point B everyday no-questions-asked with a smile on your face?

In my eyes, the new Accord is just butt-ugly (literally), yet you still see so many on the road. Why? Honda focuses on the driving experience and quality, they don't sell for looks. Even the premium brands, like MB and BMW, tend to stick to the same design scheme throughout the years (though the recent bangled-mangled BMWs have me clawing my keyboard hoping the same doesn't happen to the new 3 series).

But in the end beauty is in the eye of the beholder....so to each his own.

* No llamas were harmed in the typing of this post.

** I love my TSX.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:27 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by vitocorleone

I actually find most (not all) Ferraris, Lambo's etc. to be hideously ugly - I much prefer the TSX and the TL to them. Honest. Same for most Porsche's and many other "premium" vehicles. I think the TSx is far more beautiful than them - and I don't even own a TSX.

And I know "design", too (mobile applications that generate a fair amount of income.... too bad I'm salaried). :-)
Taste is subjective of course. ..and many (including myself) would probably say you have "bad taste".

If you know "design" you should also know that ferrari is world renown for their designs. Their cars are literally considered works of art.

I love my TSX and I think it looks good. But its not the most beautiful car ever produced. Its fairly unorigional (enough with the 5 point grills already!) and I can see how it can be a little uninspiring, and a little bland. Of course looks are completely in the eye of the beholder , but most automotive critics have held the same opinion. I think bowersan has valid reason for his opinion.

I think the TSX looks GOOD, but not GREAT.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:48 PM
Stokeless

i love mine...it may not be a enzo, or lambo, but you know what i didnt buy it for that. I bought it for the over all package, navi, good power and torque to build on, clean lines, and a sexy interior. My TSX looks better than ANY IS300 i have ever seen in person. and my car gets tons of stares and "damn that ride is nice" but then again to each his own and i have mine. YOU did come to a TSX board so if you dont like the car you are more than welcome to leave.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:25 PM
Racer

Um, when did being "bland and uninspiring" turn into being "timeless"? The TSX has been out - what? A year or even less - and you are calling it timeless? Give me a break! Don't fool yourself guys, the TSX (as well as many '03 or '04 cars) will look outdated in 4-5 years. Funny, the Civic is a bland car also, but I don't hear many owners calling their car "timeless".

Granted, IMHO the TSX looks a hell of alot better than the golf-cart-on-steriods IS300. That was just an ugly car to begin with. Before you guys go on the warpath, just know that even though I may think the TSX is bland is it in no way (in total) an "ugly" car -even though I dislike the squarish back end.

Just face it guys, many in the media have said it over and over and now some regulars here are saying it too. It's almost laughable when some are trying to justify the TSX's looks by calling it timeless when it has not earned the right to be called as such.

Hmmmm.....makes me think that my bland CL-S might have been "timeless" too.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:30 PM
Pro

Talking

My point is exactly that it's subjective. Just because I know "design" of one thing doesn't mean I know how to design a car! Heck, it'd probably end up looking like Homer's car on the Simpsons that he designed... only with more high-tech gadgets. 'Twas just makin' a point.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:31 PM
Banned

Originally posted by 93Kewl
Don't fool yourself guys, the TSX (as well as many '03 or '04 cars) will look outdated in 4-5 years.
Well the Saabs have looked outdated since about 1973.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:40 PM
Racer

Well the Saabs have looked outdated since about 1973.

Enjoy your "timeless" Pakistani cart!
Old 01-25-2004, 08:02 PM
Race Director

Re: So... I eat at a lot of fancy restaurants...

Originally posted by Crazytree
well SO WHAT says you.

well... here in LA... it's all about the car that you drive. on the weekends I go to places and my car ends up parked to Ferraris... tons of Mercedes and Bimmers...

yet I have to admit that in a lot full of the best cars money can buy... the TSX still looks hot. I was parked between a G35 and an S500 today... and a near a bunch of assorted luxury imports... and my car without a doubt was the nicest looking of them all.

although it rattles like the Mir space station... it is one HOT looking car.

are you just boasting that the Tsx looks better than the G35 and S500? i like my Tsx too, but I would never say that it looks better than a $60,000 Mercedes S500, that is a joke.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:10 PM
heywood j. ablowme

i don't think the TSX stands out when it's next to a ferrari, but i do not think its design is bland either.

see, i like both the TSX and the 9-3's. it's not like the 9-3 design is that unique, either. it's a traditional 4 door sedan. it's not a 5 door hatchback anymore. and headlights resemble VW and other european cars, and the tailights are also pretty bland.

there's no need to talk down other people's cars just to make yourself feel better and forget about numerous miniscule to significant problems the 9-3ss's are having.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:20 PM
Burning Brakes

The TSX looks great, except the grill.

The 93 looks just plain ugly, what's with the stupid black rubbers on the door anyway? They look like the ugly sticks that the 93's been hit with.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:39 PM
Racer

Predictable.

Funny how nobody address the point that people call the look "timeless" when the car hasn't been out more than a year and have to resort to comment like "ugly stick".

I think it's funny how even owners and reviewers call the TSX bland.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:45 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

I always thought the TSX was a very good looking car, but I originally thought it was bland looking from the side. The looks have grown on me more and more over time and I appreciate the subtlety of them.

'Timeless' might be premature, but I agree with others that the TSX will age well. I think the 9-3 will too, since its styling is also not very radical but more subtley attractive.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:51 PM
Racer

'Timeless' might be premature, but I agree with others that the TSX will age well. I think the 9-3 will too, since its styling is also not very radical but more subtley attractive.
Thanks jcg (not for the 9-3 remark) but that's the discussion path that I hoped for.

Plus, I think Infiniti/Nissan designs fall into the "radical" designs that will not age well. This includes the G35 Sedan and coupe.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:03 PM
Drifting

Being "timeless" does not necessitate the item in question to have been around for a long time. Some designs are just timeless right from the beginning. It is more of a descriptive than a quantitative term. If one is so pedantic about the term, I suppose nothing can be timeless indeed, at least not in our short life span.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:15 PM
Racer

If one is so pedantic about the term, I suppose nothing can be timeless indeed, at least not in our short life span.
No, I think "timeless" needs to be earned. What looks good today might not look so good tomorrow. As jcg stated, it might be more in line to say that the design has the traits to age well. I have never in any review or other mention of the TSX utter the word "timeless" when it's exterior is described. I think it's a way that some owners try to justify it's looks because THEY plan to keep the car a long time.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:29 PM
Drifting

No, I think "timeless" needs to be earned. What looks good today might not look so good tomorrow. As jcg stated, it might be more in line to say that the design has the traits to age well. I have never in any review or other mention of the TSX utter the word "timeless" when it's exterior is described. I think it's a way that some owners try to justify it's looks because THEY plan to keep the car a long time.
I don't think you're getting my point about the definition of "timeless". However, that's OK. You don't need to. Also, just because the descriptive term "timeless" has not been mentioned by any other reviewer, it does not mean that it should not be expressed here, nor does it mean that it is less of an opinion.

By the way, I don't know how long most of the TSX owners plan to keep the car for (I certainly don't know), but at least I know that it will be durable and reliable enough to be around for a very long time, should we decide to do so Oh, and our TSX will have great re-sale value too

Good luck with your 9-3.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Predictable.

Funny how nobody address the point that people call the look "timeless" when the car hasn't been out more than a year and have to resort to comment like "ugly stick".

I think it's funny how even owners and reviewers call the TSX bland.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but so are other people. You can continue to call the TSX ugly if you like, and I will call out the ugly stick as I see it. Maybe the "squarish back end" of the TSX does not fancy you, I happen to think that it's the best view.

In the end, people are different. You can rain on somebody else's parade, but don't be surprised that it will get right back to you.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:32 PM
Burning Brakes

I think the TSX fits in well parked near high priced cars. If you look at some other cars that people consider timeless, take BMW's for instance. It takes years before a car can honestly be classified as such. The new BMW's are ugly as far as I'm concerned, and apparently I'm not the only one, if they've canned the designer. The TSX isn't gonna win any beauty contests, but I love the design and think it will still look good when my lease is up. I can't say the same thing about the 9-3. I looked at them while I waited for my TSX, but thought it looked dated already. Not picking a fight with you 9-3Kewl, that's just my opinion, and you know what they say about those.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:45 PM
Racer

Yeah, I know what they say about opinions....everyone has one.

I don't expect too many TSX owners to complement the 9-3 looks. However the fact that 9-3 won the "people's choice car of the year award" at the most recent auto show in LA means that many DO like the looks of the 9-3.

President Saab Cars USA Debra Kelly-Ennis accepts the People's Choice Car of the Year Award from David Breslow for the Saab 9-3 at the Greater Los Angeles Auto Show Monday, December 29, 2003. (General Motors/Joe Polimeni)
SOURCE -- Wieck Media Services / Auto

One of the quotes from Machinedesign.com sums it up best...

To me, the 9-3 has the appearance of something more pricey. This is no small thing: One of the gripes about the older Saabs was that, at least for some people, their hatchbacks made them look cheap. Well, Saab designers certainly solved that problem. Integrated headlights and the distinctive grille are unmistakably Saab, but a steeply raked windshield and black trim along the windows, doors, and bumpers help make the car sleek and contemporary. It wouldn't seem out of place parked alongside a high-end Benz or Audi.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:03 PM
heywood j. ablowme

why is it that you disrespect and refute the opinions of others, yet you succumb to those of these reviewers? just because you quoted some articles does not make TSX any ugly nor make the 9-3 look better. your attitude just brings down the classy image of the 9-3 owners.

is your sole reason being on this forum to talk down the TSX? what's the point?
Old 01-25-2004, 11:12 PM
04 remembrance

IMO, the distinctive headlights compensates for the whole "bland" issue. but, i don't know if the tsx looks as good or better than the sl500 or the ferrari.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:13 PM
Racer

Um, when did being "bland and uninspiring" turn into being "timeless"? The TSX has been out - what? A year or even less - and you are calling it timeless? Give me a break! Don't fool yourself guys, the TSX (as well as many '03 or '04 cars) will look outdated in 4-5 years. Funny, the Civic is a bland car also, but I don't hear many owners calling their car "timeless".

Granted, IMHO the TSX looks a hell of alot better than the golf-cart-on-steriods IS300. That was just an ugly car to begin with. Before you guys go on the warpath, just know that even though I may think the TSX is bland is it in no way (in total) an "ugly" car -even though I dislike the squarish back end.

Just face it guys, many in the media have said it over and over and now some regulars here are saying it too. It's almost laughable when some are trying to justify the TSX's looks by calling it timeless when it has not earned the right to be called as such.

Hmmmm.....makes me think that my bland CL-S might have been "timeless" too.
You are a tool, Kewl. A bitter loser who bought another car and hangs out here because...well, that's hard to figure out. Glad to hear the 9-3 won the people's choice award. That is so cool.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:20 PM
Bound for Europe

Originally posted by iamhomin
IMO, the distinctive headlights compensates for the whole "bland" issue. but, i don't know if the tsx looks as good or better than the sl500 or the ferrari.
Right on man!
I'm a huge fan of the headlight cluster. Sharp, very sharp
Old 01-25-2004, 11:21 PM
Bound for Europe

Originally posted by tsx-mdxman
You are a tool, Kewl. A bitter loser who bought another car and hangs out here because...well, that's hard to figure out. Glad to hear the 9-3 won the people's choice award. That is so cool.

very cool!
Old 01-26-2004, 12:10 AM
Pro

I, too, like the looks for the new 9-3 (not the 9-5 or 9-2) because it flows well and is also designed more along the lines of the TSX in terms of it's subtlety (e.g., "blandness" to reviewers that review the car after seeing it on one day when they probably see others as well). I posted in another thread about design philosophies of subtle/bland vs flashy/trashy and that both are equally valid and both can succeed or fail, and it really comes down to what you personally like.

I agree that Nissan/Inifiniti have taken the flashy route - gets great reviews now, but I bet they get slammed in a few years for being "stale" and "outdated". I know that one year after the G35 came out - a car I initially thought was hot - I no longer like and think it looks like an old sneaker.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:38 AM
More On

Originally posted by fdl
.....bowersan has valid reason for his opinion.....
That the TSX is ugly???

Nah, take it from me -- he was having a bad day.

Let's see what he thinks tomorrow.

Don't worry Jeff, I'm not taking it personally or anything. :'(
Old 01-26-2004, 06:28 AM
Racer

your attitude just brings down the classy image of the 9-3 owners.
You are kidding? Right? Give me a break. Please read again my original post. I question how a TSX owner can justify the word "timeless" for a car that hasn't been out a year. I also stated that I didn't think the TSX was ugly (even though I don't like the back-end shape). For those that responded in kind to my statements, I have not refuted that some may think the TSX's styling may age well.

As to my other comments made here, it is the blind and arrogant punks here that can't stand to hear even the slightest question or hint of negativity and even go as far as to not even read posts before attacking.

It is those type of individuals that bring down the image of the TSX.

I think bowersan made a good point, regardless if he had a "bad" day or not. Hit the nail right on the head.

Quick Reply: So... I eat at a lot of fancy restaurants...