So few navi TSX at dealerships - why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 06:21 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
So few navi TSX at dealerships - why?

I have noted that the Acura dealerships hardly have any navi TSX in stock. Is it because:

1. Navi models are not popular among the buyers, so the dealerships don't order as many? Or...

2. The dealerships have a tough time to keep them in stock because they just sell so quickly? Or...

3. Acura simply does not produce many navi TSX at all?

I lucked out that there was ONE NHB TSX with 5AT and navi in stock when I bought my car 3 months ago. Since then, I don't think my dealership has had any 5AT and navi TSX in stock at all...

What do you think?
Old 03-07-2004, 06:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simply put not too many sub-$30k car buyers want to spend $2,000 on a Navigational system. The whole reason most of them are in the sub-$30k category is because they can't afford to blow $2,000 on a convenience item.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:50 PM
Intermediate

I think it also depends on where you live. In my area there seem to have been a good number of navi-equipped TSXes. The dealerships in the D.C. area are susposed to be some of the largest in the country, so that may have something to do with it.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:52 PM
Cruisin' the Azine's

Most of my friends who have bought new cars have opted out of the navi for their cars simply because we have lived around here for so long and seldom travel outside the state that we don'[t really have a need for a $2K navi. However if I lived in a bigger metropolitan area it'd be different. If I ever move back to Boston I'll wish I got the Navi.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:33 PM
6MT Snob

A friend of a friend works a local acura dealer and they only 1 out of 10 cars they move have a navi.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:27 PM
Instructor

The navi ties the entire interior together. The map helped out the other when trying to find a quiet spot to go "parking" friday night.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:32 PM
cmf
ATCer

Why spend 2K on NAVI, when you can go to the corner store and get an atlas for 5 bucks. I just saved 1995........need more mods for the car now!
Old 03-08-2004, 12:04 AM
Race Director

guess it's rare or some people have the TSX w/navi on a wait list in order to buy it with that option.

but tell me this, where can you get a fully loaded new entry level luxury car w/ leather, hids, homelink, heated seats, dual climate control and a navi for under $30K? lexus, infiniti, bmw, mercedes, audi, saab, volvo, cadillac, and jaguar? none, only acura can do that!
Old 03-08-2004, 01:31 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by cmf
Why spend 2K on NAVI, when you can go to the corner store and get an atlas for 5 bucks. I just saved 1995........need more mods for the car now!
You've obviously never had a nav before. Be careful though, once you get it you can't live without it.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:31 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Crazytree
Simply put not too many sub-$30k car buyers want to spend $2,000 on a Navigational system. The whole reason most of them are in the sub-$30k category is because they can't afford to blow $2,000 on a convenience item.
Not your most intelligent post.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:39 AM
Banned

You're right... allow me to fix it.

Simply put not too many sub-$30k car buyers should be spending $2,000 on a Navigational system... especially when they're putting it on credit. The whole reason most of them are in the sub-$30k category is because they are the type of people who blow $2,000 on a convenience item.

There ya go.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:07 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Crazytree
You're right... allow me to fix it.

Simply put not too many sub-$30k car buyers should be spending $2,000 on a Navigational system... especially when they're putting it on credit. The whole reason most of them are in the sub-$30k category is because they are the type of people who blow $2,000 on a convenience item.

There ya go.
So you're saying I (or many others) can't afford a car above $30K? Oh, I don't think that would be a problem. There's something very Archie Bunker about your post. There ya go.

Even threw a bandito on there for ya.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:07 AM
Instructor

Hope your Thomas Guide can tell you points of interests, restaurants, gas stations, ATMs, hospitals, police stations in the continental U.S.; control your radio, a/c, and settings all with keeping your eyes on the road. (and most often with both hands on the steering wheel)

Maybe sub-30k buyers are looking for luxury and utility, and the TSX w/navi offers both. Financing another $2,000 really does what to your payments? Depending on the duration of the loan, add another $20-55 a month IF YOU DIDN'T PUT ANY MONEY DOWN.

To me, it was worth having it JUST on the basis of how it tied the dash together. I use the Navi when I go to PBA tournaments, often in places I've never heard of. In the end, I'd rather have it and not REALLY need it, then be without when I do.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:08 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by N_Smith
Hope your Thomas Guide can tell you points of interests, restaurants, gas stations, ATMs, hospitals, police stations in the continental U.S.; control your radio, a/c, and settings all with keeping your eyes on the road. (and most often with both hands on the steering wheel)

Maybe sub-30k buyers are looking for luxury and utility, and the TSX w/navi offers both. Financing another $2,000 really does what to your payments? Depending on the duration of the loan, add another $20-55 a month IF YOU DIDN'T PUT ANY MONEY DOWN.

To me, it was worth having it JUST on the basis of how it tied the dash together. I use the Navi when I go to PBA tournaments, often in places I've never heard of. In the end, I'd rather have it and not REALLY need it, then be without when I do.
Well put.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:59 PM
Intermediate

The nav system does a whole lot more than a road atlas will ever do.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:19 PM
DPZ
Advanced

From casual empiricism, tracking the online inventory of a couple of local dealers, seemed fairly evenly split between nav and non-nav. Not scientific, of course, and cars that are bought in advance may not show up on inventory listings at all. But I would have guessed production of the two types were closer than 10 to 1, maybe more like 2 to 1 or 3 to 2.

I did notice almost all TLs available are non-nav (and the navs that show up go quickly), presumably a combination of high demand and low supply of the nav units. Dealers seemed willing to bargain on non-nav TLs but not on navs.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:27 PM
bleh...

I like my TSX without the navi cuz it makes the dash look less cluttery and clean. I don't need a computer to give me directions when I can look on a map and plan a trip before setting off. Also, I don't think it was worth the $2k for me to get one when I got my car last year. I can see why many TSXs sold don't offer navigation. It maybe useful and helpful, but many ppl don't have a need for it and justify paying $2k for it on a car like the TSX.

Basically, I didn't have a need for a navi system in my car.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:09 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
From what I heard when I was shopping for my TSX, some of the local dealers did not order many (or any) with Navi, only ordering them when they had an order in hand for it. The thinking was that the TSX was in demand, but as one of the lower priced Acuras many buyers wouldn't want to spend the extra $2000.

On the other hand, I would not have considered buying the TSX if it had no Navigation system -- I like the one on my 2000 Honda Odyssey that much. I currently have been driving a non-Navi TSX loaner for over a week and I really miss my Navi!

I expect all my future cars will have a Navigation system...
Old 03-09-2004, 08:42 AM

i can see why ppl would consider the navi but personally i dont need it...just give me a atlas and i'll find my way around...the whole idea of a road trip to me is discovering little restaurants, shops, etc along the way...not having some computer tell me where they are and how to get there
Old 03-09-2004, 11:44 AM
TSX-Black Bolt

Are you not using a computer now? To get here , and helping you along the way??

I spent the extra 2K, I did not want to buy a TSX...missing the only option.

I think it will also add to re-sell value, in fact i know it will.
With new updates every year with the DVD...it may keep up with jones for quite a long time, and it will be like Christmas for my car.
When the new DVDs comes out every year...who knows what tweaks , it may add.
Just yesterday it saved me... I needed mexican food for lunch.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Advanced

I think it will also add to re-sell value, in fact i know it will.
It will, but not in proportion to what you paid for it. What I mean is, while your car may depreciate 50% over a given period, the nav may depreciate 90% in that time. Computers always depreciate very quickly, and the nav is no exception. Plus, it is not of equal value to every buyer, so you have to take that into account.

Not saying it isn't worth it, but never buy any options for their resale value.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:12 PM
TSX-Black Bolt

It may not up the value, as much.
I did not really opt mostly for it because of the resale value. It was only a small part of buying it.

I like to take road trips.
I know my area well enough, not to use it much.
But when traveling it’s the BOMB.

Last week going out of town, I wanted to check out some retail markets in the area...do some price comparison to my local area.

I pull over to a public phone. Look through the yellow pages.
Found the few places I wanted to check out.

Punch in the address of 3 places in town.
And found them easily, just like I have been living there all along.

No mappage pullage outage, just kept both hands on the wheel.
And did some site seeing on the way to the new places…no worries about looking for the right road sign on every corner.

I do wish it had topo line feature, I can turn on and off.
Had more details like camping areas, lakes, ski areas and river details ( like names)…etc etc…
Speed, position of the sun, and moon. Tide info, compass readout…I can go on.
For a DVD …it seems to lack details on back roads too, and other cool points of interest.
Like on my hand held Magellan 330 map, with a whole 16 Megs. Of course I have to download details of the area I am visiting off the PC before heading out. But dang it’s only 16 megs…I think the DVD is 8 gigs. Where’s the beef!

It’s a good GPS, with some features turn off….I like to see more info…with out having to use the hack keys to get it either…maybe down the road.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:38 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

points of interests, restaurants, gas stations, ATMs, hospitals, police stations
I guess to some people $2000 isn't much, but as my first car, no way was I going to pay for a $2000 system. Mapquest does everything I need for planning a trip. Set the odometer and you've got it made.

I have never found an instance in my life when I was out driving somewhere I didn't know and decided I suddenly needed chinese food. Or couldn't find a gas station, ATM etc. Please if you took 5 min to plan out where you were going you wouldn't need that. And hospital, police station? Gimmie a break.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:39 PM
Banned

I am virtually certain that 75% of the places I go to would not be in the DVD. My city has one of the highest concentrations of restaurants in the US... 4,000 in just a few square miles. There is no way in hell that it's going to be able to tell me even a fraction of them. Hell most of the good restaurants around here have chinese-only names. I could care less where the nearest McDonald's or picnic area is. Plus updating the Navi over a few years is going to cost you an extra couple hundred bucks.

I'm saving the $2,500 I would have spent on the Navi and updates so that I can afford a Porsche or a MBZ in a few years... or help me on a downpayment with a house.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:03 PM
TSX-Black Bolt

A GPS is a nice toy....
It works well for what it was designed for.

And if 2000$ is not a problem for someone to spend...then get it!
But if you do not own a home yet...then what are you doing buying a 26K car, before buying a home?

You will not qualify for as much money, if you already owned the car.
Buy the car after the new home. Pull a second on the home, ( will always be a lower monthly payments than the car payment) pay the car off, and write off the interest against your taxes.

Badabing!