Snow!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 11:16 PM
The Young One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow!

Ok, we had first snow storm here today on Long Island, and im so proud of my TSX. Never lost control once. Stuck to the road like glue. I don't know if i was the only one that feels the same way i do about the winter performance of the TSX. I was taken turns in a quick manor and nothing slipped. VSA kicked in a few times, but other then that....

"This winter is gonna be fun"

P.S. please let me know if you've had the same pleasure.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:39 PM
Instructor

I was just about to post a similar experience. I just went for a very short drive in the snow to drop my friend home. I was very pleased with how well the stock tires held the road. The only time VSA kicked in was when i accelerated faster than I should have and obviously slipped in the snow, this was in the parking lot mainly to see VSA work, and it did! I kept going straight, no wheels slid out!

Question though, there was a deer on the side of the road that looked like it was going to run out, so I braked rather hard. I felt the ABS kick in, but was surprised at how loud/rough it was. I know that it's normal to feel a vibration from them, but to the point that it really pushes the petal up and you hear it? Kinda like a grinding noise? Is this normal? They appeared to be working correctly other than that.

Like some people were saying on the other threads today...this snow could be a lot of fun if it wasn't for all the other drivers out there!
Old 12-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by esr5096
I felt the ABS kick in, but was surprised at how loud/rough it was. I know that it's normal to feel a vibration from them, but to the point that it really pushes the petal up and you hear it? Kinda like a grinding noise? Is this normal? They appeared to be working correctly other than that.
Completely normal - rest assured.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Well, my car almost lost control on the Northern State Pkwy last night, the VSA light was blinking like mad, the car was wagging left and right, a few quick tabs on the brake finally set things straight.

One thing I don't like about the TSX is how loud it was on salt covered road.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:58 AM
Advanced

I have to say I'm VERY PROUD of my TSX in this CRAZY blizzard we have in the northeast!! Handled great in the snow also i had to even go and pick my friend up who has a mercedes benz C230. Seems as though his car wasn't doing too well!!!!! While everyone is sliding everywhere the tsx is Ripping through the snow and slush!!!!
Old 12-06-2003, 02:01 PM
Advanced

Any one thinking a TSX handles well in snow should try out an AWD or preferably one with snow tires. I too drove in the NE "blizzard" and found myself lamenting the loss of the audi quattro w/blizzaks. That combo did well in snow. TSX performance is mediocre at best. One benefit of the TSX is that the lack of hp/torque on the bottom end actually helps driveability in the snow. Driving in snow is a combination of driving ability, attitude and equipment - and knowing when to leave the car at home - especially if its a rear driver with summer tires. Could not believe the idiots out there with their coffee can exhaust equipped "performance" cars shod with worn summer tires sliding all over the roadway.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by chumley
One benefit of the TSX is that the lack of hp/torque on the bottom end actually helps driveability in the snow.
HP really doesn't have much to do with the driveability in snow, and even high torque doesn't mean much with traction control.
Old 12-06-2003, 06:37 PM
Advanced

Tried to make a little joke at the expense of the cars biggest deficiency - guess it didn't work too well.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:12 PM
where'd my wheels go?!

my tsx is doing great in this snow... i loved the way it handled on the meadowbrook which has to be one of the worst roads when it snows.... woo hoo!
Old 12-06-2003, 07:21 PM
Advanced

I also had to drive in the snowstorm, but it wasn't much of a pleasure.

I was coming from Boston to New York. I left at 1PM, and got as far as Fairfield CT before the snow started. Then the road backed up. It took over an hour to go less than a quarter mile. Eventually, it took over 5 hours to go about 80 miles back to Brooklyn.

I didn't think I could get tired of driving my TSX, but I was pretty glad to get out of it.

One interesting point. I was going down some residential streets (using the Nav's detour option). I noticed the car behind me following very close. Then I stopped before a cross street to avoid blocking it because a car to my right was making a left turn from that street. Sure enough, the car rear-ended me. We got out and talked for a few seconds. He was driving a beemer. It had a rubber strip across the leading edge of his bumper. I checked my car's rear bumper at that height, and couldn't see a mark. I cleared away all the slush, and there wasn't any sign of the impact.

He wasn't going fast when he hit me, maybe 1-2 mph, but it was hard enough that I expected some damage. I'm very impressed that there was none at all.

Later, when I was in deep snow, I found the traction wasn't very good (better than some other cars around me though). The VSA light came on a lot. It mainly seemed to be telling me that the tires were spinning. I didn't have any skidding problems, and the ABS kicked in a few times to help with the stopping.

Without a doubt, the TSX came through with flying colors on that trip.

Now I have to reverse it tomorrow. Back to Boston, so I can be at work Monday Morning.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:28 PM
A-TSX Driver...

My TSX/snow experience sucked. I stopped on the side of the road to knock the snow off the wipers and the damn thing got stuck - and the spot I was in was flat. VSA was flashing like crazy, and I wasn't going anywhere. I couldn't even rock (reverse and drive forward) the car to get it moving. Took several attempts. Then, trying to go up hills, the VSA really prevents the car from getting any momentum. It was like the car wanted to get stuck. I think I'll drive the SUV next time. I wasn't impressed with the TSX's performance. My old Grand Am drove 10x better in the snow.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:43 PM
Instructor

Apparently this isn't as well known as I thought it was. If you're stoped, and VSA goes on when you're trying to move, this is a situation where you don't wnat VSA, because you want to rock the car, so, you should use the "VSA off" button until you get started. I asked the dealer when you would use that button, and that was what they told me, it really is something they should tell everybody about.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:24 PM
Advanced

When your stuck you want both tires turning, so you want VSA off, that includes going up a slippery hill.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:40 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

I 'third' the VSA off position for your situation, hondaboy. Not too many situations where you want it off, but that's one of them.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:01 PM
Advanced

Had my first outing in the snow last night. I'm running with snow tires. I am coming off 4 years with an AWD Subaru shod with snows so I wasn't expecting too much. The TSX handled as good as I could expect it to.

I am not sure if I like the VSA for pulling away from stop signs. When the system kicks in it feels strange. I may like controlling the wheel spin better myself with the VSA off. I'll decide over the next few storms.

Where I really found the VSA to work well was in cornering. My street is an L shape with no stop sign at the "L" corner. There was 2" of fresh snow. If you take a corner like that you expect the car to plow into the curb as the weight causes it to slide to the outside of the turn. The VSA kicks in with some scary clunking noises but keeps you in the turn where you would expect to go. I went around the street 2 more times taking that corner with more speed each time. Both times the VSA killed power and applied brakes with the same clunking noise but kept the car true to the turn. Great technology.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:09 PM
Automobile Aficionado

Originally posted by rzee
One thing I don't like about the TSX is how loud it was on salt covered road.
yes i strongly agree.

But otherwise....The TSX was aesome(in 15 inches of snow!). Alittle slipping but the VSA didnt need to kick in. I am totally pleased with the handling. Felt very proud when me and my friends wanted to get a few drinks and i was the only one that was able to drive cause my car was the most reliable.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:54 AM
Intermediate

Generally an OK trip in the snow - stock tires. VSA light blinked a few times while driving straight.

Had to turn VSA *off* twice 1) to get out of a slippery iced up parking spot - needed *some* wheel spin and 2) to travel straight out from a full stop at a particularly slippery patch - kept going in directions I wasn't steering until VSA off, then fine.