side view mirror flash

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 10:30 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
side view mirror flash

is there any way to wire the sideview mirrors to blink or flash when you unlock or lock the car.?
Old 07-09-2005, 03:04 AM
Advanced

I was just thinking this same ideal tonight. Anybody have a solution? I wouldn't think it would be that hard to do.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:35 AM
[EUROTIC]

They dont do that?
Thats real interesting.
Ours come factory like that in Oz.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:01 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it would be a fairly involved install, other wise they would come on when your parking lights come on. Of course nothing is impossible, but to me its a lot more trouble then it would be worth, seeing as there is no real "gain".
Old 07-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Banned

"Much Ado About Nothing"
Old 07-10-2005, 03:06 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Is there really a point to doing that?
Theoretically if you really wanted to do that just wire those lights to be tied in with the turn signals. The turn signals light up when you hit the key fob to lock and unlock. So if you do that, you'd still have the turn signal function as well as the light flashing when you lock and unlock.
But once again... is there really a point to doing that?
That's almost as worthless as trying to make it so that the mirror blinkers come on when you hit the brakes!
Old 07-10-2005, 09:32 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by Alin10123
Theoretically if you really wanted to do that just wire those lights to be tied in with the turn signals. The turn signals light up when you hit the key fob to lock and unlock. So if you do that, you'd still have the turn signal function as well as the light flashing when you lock and unlock.
That will not work, the turn signals are not what flashes when you use the fob. Your parking lights flash, so if you were to wire the lights on the mirror to come on with your parking lights, which could be done fairly easily, your mirror lights would also be on constantly when your headlights or parking lights were on while driving. Unless you had a switch(kind of ghetto) or some sort of voltage regulator wired in line to work between 12v and 14.4 volts(which probably wouldn't work to well either); but like we all seem to agree its a lot of work to accomplish nothing.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:47 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
You could get where you were going in a stock TSX... or a stock Civic, for that matter. Mods of other's cars don't have to make sense to us.

But doing it with the OEM keyfob would be a little hard and suboptimal. A "dual-make" relay could keep the circuits isolated, and it could be hooked up so that it only reacts to parking light flashes when the key is off (not too hard - the ignition circuit is grounded when the key is off...) But if you left your parking lights on with the key off your turn signals would come on too...

But it would be pretty easy to do with an aftermarket alarm. Use the same dual make relay and blink the turn signals instead of the parking lights. No parking light interface at all to worry about.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:15 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by elduderino
You could get where you were going in a stock TSX... or a stock Civic, for that matter. Mods of other's cars don't have to make sense to us.

Of course I think everyone here realizes you modify a car to please yourself, make your car stand out in a crowd. This could be ones way of expressing themselves and making their car better functioning(in their eyes only in some cases) or insecurity with themselves or their car- but its not our place to judge in either case; but we can offer our opinion.

With something like this it seems like the law of diminishing returns would enter the equation awfully early. I tend to support the less is more school of thought when it comes to a car. If an improvement, upgrade or modification does NOT equal a direct improvement in the car then it serves no purpose on the car. A couple quick things that come to mind are spoilers(on street type cars), "lambo" doors(the OE ones are pretty cool though!), strobe lights and under car neon. They serve no purpose but to impress others(insecurity) or offer a false sense of individuality through your vehicle.

I wouldn't be in the least bit upset if the lights on the mirrors flashed when the transmitter was used, but they don't. I don't see it as being a worth while upgrade, seeing as how the TSX lighting system functions, is all I was trying to say.