Sick and tired of steering wheel vibration. 3rd set of rotors

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The problem with mine started it at 8000 miles when my brother had the TSX, took it to the dealer and repairs were done for free, then again at 20,000 miles, of course dealer didnīt want to pay this time so my brother drove like that until I got his TSX. Like I said before around 40,000 miles I got new power slot rotors abd hawk pads and again vibration at 45,000. BTW when I had a 03 TL I had the same problem.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FZ427
The problem with mine started it at 8000 miles...
I have to suspect that some of the problems being experienced is either the braking system or the VSA -- rather than the rotors and pads. I have never heard of rotors repeatedly warping unless they were subjected to very high temperatures -- or high temperatures followed by rapid cooling -- like hitting standing water after the brakes were very hot. Perhaps the pads are not fully releasing and some pressure against the rotors, by the pads, is being maintained -- even when there is no pressure on the brake pedal. That doesn't mean that you can lift a wheel and check for drag by rotating it. The condition might occur dynamically and not statically.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:17 AM
Instructor

Well I'll join the club. My wife's 04 TSX had the rotors turned at 15,000, replaced at 30,000 (both under warrenty). Had to pay for new rotors and front pads at 60,000. Steering wheel vibration was the first sign of problems. My wife's previous cars had brakes done at normal intervals with no vibration problems. Same with my car, pads and rotors replaced at 65,000. I have never liked Honda brakes. I had a 1980 Accord that the rotors would warp every 15,000 to 20,000.

Normally, driving style would be the problem, but I know with me and my wife, it is not. Her car has 99,000 on it now and the steering wheel is vibrating again. Not so bad this time.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Racer

I, too, have rotor problems. Took my 06 with 45k in August to the dealership; they "resurfaced" the rotors and installed new pads in the front. They refused to cover it under warranty, and charged me $215. Fine, whatever.

However, just today I noticed the vibration slightly returning. Obviously this really pisses me off. I'm going to simmer down and wait a week (it will surely be worse) before I call the dealer and yell at them. After reading this thread, I'm skeptical they'll be able to fix the problem (and they'll probably charge me $200 each time they try!). My driving is 90% freeway, and I have a MT and consciously try to brake as little as possible for fuel economy reasons. I seriously doubt it has anything to do with my driving style.

Also, my TSX drifts to the left when the car is cold; I have to drive with my steering wheel rotated slightly--very annoying. Acura was unable to diagnose the problem. Don't know if it's related or not.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:30 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Must be lucky with my 06 6MT tsx, bought new 11/17/06. I do mostly highway driving and have no rotor problems and the original brake pads with 64,000+miles.(knock-on-wood)
Old 10-25-2008, 05:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Ok, I've read most of the first page and had to fast forward.....need to address some issues.

1- Rear brake invesitgations are a complete wiold goose chase in tracking down steering vibes.

2- A wheel bearing that bad to cause a vibration would be utterly dangerous to drive on, and would be so loud that you couldn't carry on a conversation in the car.

3- To the point, to the OP, I think heat is the problem here. Be it warping or pad material buildup, it is all caused by excessive or uneven heat buildup in the rotors. All the rotors you mention are basically the same thing. Stock rotors. Racingbrake UP have the ability to withstand higher heat and shed the heat faster because of the curved vanes. This helps to stabilize the pads and keep them from overheating which is what causes the buildup.

Also, you have not stepped up the pad game either. OEM, HPS (are basically OEM), and Autozone anything (Can you really trust that sort of compound?) all are likely on the softer side and that just makes them more sensitive to heat as well. Hawk Ceramic or Racingbrake ET300/500 are going to take the heat a lot better and be less sensitive. And you'll find more issues are solved with rebedding when you have more aggressive pads.

But in the end, the reason why the others in your fam with other cars have less issues is.....they are not you, and they are not driving your car. Some people go much longer on TSX stock pads than you have without issues. It's not the car, it's the car AND how you drive it. You just need to find some components that suit you better.

Personally, I think Racingbrakes are the greatest rotors since....well, the invention of rotors

Marcus
Old 10-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I read every post and no one mention about car washing.

If you wash your car right after a drive where the rotor heats up, the water can rapidly cool down your rotor and warp it. Since you say it starts happening after 5k mile, sounds like to me that washing your car, which does include washing your rims, can cause the issue. Once you get your new set in, only wash your car after it sits for 3hr from a drive. That way the rotor can naturally cool down.

If you ever wash your car and sprayed water on your rotor and you start seeing steam then your rotor is still too hot to wash your car. I had this same issue with my integra when i had it. This method resolved my issue and since then, i've stuck by it with my tsx. Hopes this helps!
Old 10-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car wash is not my case. So people who take the car to the car wash tell the car wash people wait 3 hrs ? No this is something else. Last week I talked to a mechanic that works in a Honda dealer and told me it might be the caliper pressing the rotor harder than normal so we might need to replace the whole brake system. Like I said before it happened to my 03 TL-S and 04 TSX and something to notice they have the same rotor-part number and no I don't drive like a F1 driver. I had a 88 Civic and a 93 Accord with over 100,000 miles and sold those cars with the stock rotors never had to do anything on the brakes just replace the pads.

Last edited by FZ427; 10-29-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:34 PM
5th Gear

greendestiny, you say you commute back and forth in SoCal? How much time do you spend in stop and go traffic? How many times a week are you cruising at 70mph only to have to slam on the brakes for a stoppage for no apparent reason?

I had more warping issues in LA than I do now in the country. I changed to the blank Brembos and Akebono pads 18 mos and 20K miles ago and they are still feel great. The Acura service tech noted at the 60K service that the pads are too hard for the rotors and they are scored a bit but I've never had brakes that feel this good before.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Intermediate

I have a 06 TSX 6 speed. It too has shaking steering wheel and brakes. Problem is Acura makes a piece of crap. Last Honda I will every buy. Been in the shop almost a month. Lots of problems from paint issues, transmission etc, etc etc.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:41 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by bmwbadboy
I have a 06 TSX 6 speed. It too has shaking steering wheel and brakes. Problem is Acura makes a piece of crap. Last Honda I will every buy. Been in the shop almost a month. Lots of problems from paint issues, transmission etc, etc etc.
sorry to hear that. I agree the paint is lousy but I blame the EPA for setting rules on the paint not Acura. My 06 6MT, bought new, 11/17/06 has almost 65,000 problem free miles. I guess you should stick to BMW's.