Shock sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 12:13 PM
John Starks - The Dunk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shock sensors?

I was reading on a-cl.com that people were installing shock sensors in their cars. Anyone have one in their TSX, or think it is necessary? Here is the link to the thread.a-cl.com shock sensor thread From what I read, its only $15 but saves people a lot of headaches. (I didn't verify the prices btw....I am at work. )
Old 06-22-2004, 02:08 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
A shock sensor (I prefer the term "impact sensor") is intended to trigger an alarm when someone starts to damage it during a break in - specifically, a screwdriver and a hammer punching out a door or trunk lock, or MAYBE breaking wheel locks (the suspension absorbs a lot of that force and vibration, though). Anything less - keying, breaking tempered glass, leaning on the car, jacking it up ("motion") is not what it is designed for - end of story.

The correct way to adjust an impact sensor (not the "easy" way, or the way "most installers do it", but the way they are designed to operate) is with a thump of your closed fist on the door handle - effectively simulating a door lock impact without risking sheet metal dents. Hitting the window, or the windshield, or the A-pillar, is wrong and risky (I've seen installers break windshields by testing on the A-pillar. True, it WAS a GM car, but a Cadillac!)

They are NOT intended to detect breaking glass That's a glass break sensor (DEI PN 506T). They use a microphone to listen for the sound of breaking glass. Adjust them with all the windows up and the sunroof closed. One key on the glass should NOT trigger the alarm - multiple keys on a chain rattled on the glass should trigger it. (PS - I love glass break sensors, but you can't leave your windows down or sunroof open, or they hear exhaust notes or sirens and false on you).

If you turn up an impact sensor to try to detect breaking glass, you will have issues.

The most common cause of false alarms is sensor adjustment and installation. Right now the only way the TSX alarm can false is a hardware malfunction - (alarm ECU or door latch switch failure). By adding a sensor, you are running the risk of triggering the alarm falsely while you are not around. The Acura alarm has no FACT or NPC-type false-alarm reduction software, so you be on your own - just make sure you take the time and get it right : )
Old 06-22-2004, 03:33 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds awesome for a really inexpensive mod. would it go off if it detect the car being jacked up to steal a wheel? i'm not too worried about the interior (glass breaking) as the immobilizer should keep most anyone from taking the entire car.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:02 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
No, usually an impact sensor won't detect jacking up of a car. (If turned up so high that it does, it will false-alarm lots too...)

Ungo used to make a combo impact-motion sensor that worked OK. The stand-alone Logicsensor seems to be discontinued.

I bought the Clifford "Digital" motion sensor a few years ago and never got that POS to work right. DEI seems to sell it now as the 507T. Dunno if it works or not.