Shell V-Power...wow!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
I filled up with v-power today. Drove 80 miles mostly highway and got approx. 29 mpg. Not really much different than normal. I'll keep track of it though.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:28 PM
TSX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I usually have bad gas after I eat eggs.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:03 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Savio
I usually have bad gas after I eat eggs.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:07 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
^^
Man, you should take some marketing class or something. All that is just marketing term to catch cosumers attention.

That's my point; the only real diiference in the vast majority of the products I mentioned (and many more) is in the advertiser's imagination.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Well, I wanted to wallow in some marketing gunk this AM to see how I smell after (picture a dog rolling in the grass with a smile on his face).

A Shell oil page about the "TOP TIER" gasolines. Honda was one of several carmakers who established this way to make us pay more, erm, established a higher gasoline additive standard for high performance engines.

I noted in one of their print ads that ALL their gasolines meet the TOP TIER standard, so perhaps one need not buy the 94 octane super duper spiffy gasoline.

Shell ... Are all gasolines the same?

BTW, if we're going to compare mileage, let's not use the MID value. Full tanks, divide the odometer different with the number of gallons added, and describe if you did highway driving, "around town," or your routine (weekday) mix.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:54 PM
TSX MFG Date Sep 2006

Originally Posted by davidspalding
[SNIP]

BTW, if we're going to compare mileage, let's not use the MID value. Full tanks, divide the odometer different with the number of gallons added, and describe if you did highway driving, "around town," or your routine (weekday) mix.
To be Scientifically accurate, you'll need to make sure you're re-filling up at the same Gas station with the same pump each time. Also, when filling up, once the pump stops, do not fill up any more as most of us tend to add a little bit more so that the amount comes up an even number... ie. if it shows $34.07, I'd pump the gas a little more until it shows 34.10 or up to 35.00 if the gas was cheap at the time!
Old 04-05-2008, 09:18 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Simba91102

That's my point; the only real diiference in the vast majority of the products I mentioned (and many more) is in the advertiser's imagination.
Sorry that if I confused you. I totally agree with what you were saying. I was pointing towards those actually thinks that V-power will increase power, cleans and all other crap. I think that V-power stuff is nothing but marketing term to catch our attention.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by cestmoi
To be Scientifically accurate, you'll need to make sure you're re-filling up at the same Gas station with the same pump each time....
Hrm ... that might be easy for some, not so easy for others....
... Also, when filling up, once the pump stops, do not fill up any more as most of us tend to add a little bit more so that the amount comes up an even number....
Good point. I never do that, either to "make an even number" or "to get just a bit more gas," as I charge the gas to a card every time. I'd also read somewhere that adding a bit after the pump stops (topping off) doesn't effectively give you that much more gas. Could be total BS, and I can't recall where I read it.

It's also not very safe. I don't like wearing gas on my pants. YMMV of course.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:28 PM
Instructor

Sorry that if I confused you. I totally agree with what you were saying. I was pointing towards those actually thinks that V-power will increase power, cleans and all other crap. I think that V-power stuff is nothing but marketing term to catch our attention.
I really don't care much for the term, so this is not the kind of thread where i'm guessing at what a very hyped up product has done in my imagination. I'm just telling you my real experience with it after two fill ups. Also, why is it so improbable that Shell could be using certain additives to enhance their gas? (this is an honest question) And I'm pretty sure I've actually seen an article that said something about V-power gas actually having a cleaner combustion than gas from other companies.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:54 PM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by OoKrnBoi0331oO
I really don't care much for the term, so this is not the kind of thread where i'm guessing at what a very hyped up product has done in my imagination. I'm just telling you my real experience with it after two fill ups. Also, why is it so improbable that Shell could be using certain additives to enhance their gas? (this is an honest question) And I'm pretty sure I've actually seen an article that said something about V-power gas actually having a cleaner combustion than gas from other companies.
I would like to see that article. Maybe, I will try V-power myself to see if there is any differences.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:00 PM
mmmmmm....

Hrm ... that might be easy for some, not so easy for others....
Good point. I never do that, either to "make an even number" or "to get just a bit more gas," as I charge the gas to a card every time. I'd also read somewhere that adding a bit after the pump stops (topping off) doesn't effectively give you that much more gas. Could be total BS, and I can't recall where I read it.

It's also not very safe. I don't like wearing gas on my pants. YMMV of course.
Interesting. I done that make an even number thing all the time, yet never had a problem. I think they put that sign on the gas pump for the safety issue than for the fuel efficiency, correct me if I'm wrong? I just don't see those greedy bastards looking out for us.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:08 PM
Advanced

Also, why is it so improbable that Shell could be using certain additives to enhance their gas?
Because chemistry and physics say they will not be able to add an additive that will increase the energy you can squeeze out of the fuel by 15 percent. The fuel delivery trucks in any given area fill up at the same terminal; the additive packages are the only difference. The additive packages will impact things like valve deposits, but will not make a difference in the amount of energy available from the fuel.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tex929rr
Because chemistry and physics say they will not be able to add an additive that will increase the energy you can squeeze out of the fuel by 15 percent. The fuel delivery trucks in any given area fill up at the same terminal; the additive packages are the only difference. The additive packages will impact things like valve deposits, but will not make a difference in the amount of energy available from the fuel.
+1
Old 04-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Instructor

Shell is pretty good. I use Sunco 93 exclusively now !!!! I noticed a huge difference with Sunco !!!
Old 04-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Instructor

funny how the op also noticed this. i just came back from a trip to philly from upstate ny. on the way down i got v-power and ended up getting 32.8 mpg. i was getting no more than 30 mpg even w/ all highway prior to that. now i'm back and the first thing i notice is this post. of course, i agree there are way more variables in gas mileage than just type of gas, and i don't necessarily believe the shell gas did this, but this is just an observation.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:23 PM
Instructor

I used V-power and Chervon and i average about 26.5- 27mpg with city and highway... to me its better than my old car which was a 97 Acura 2.2CL which average 23mpg lol but i should use Chervon more so i can collect points and get free food and drinks lol
Old 04-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I bought non-V power (Valero) gas and I got 37mpg on my 320 mile trip last night, I was cruising at 65 though.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Instructor

However, doesn't a cleaner engine (less deposits from the gas) produce a more efficient engine?
Old 04-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Instructor

I would like to see that article. Maybe, I will try V-power myself to see if there is any differences.
Go on google and just search Shell V-Power or something. Or search Top Tier Gasoline. Shell and a good group of other gasoline industries are in the Top Tier. This means that their gas goes above and beyond the regular detergent minimum requirement in their gasoline. The Shell V-power gas (93 octane, or the premium), however, has even more detergents in it so it actually CLEANS the engine little by little. Other Top Tier gasoline will keep your car clean, but v-power can clean it. OFCOURSE, i personally haven't proven it. It's just what i remember from the article
Old 04-08-2008, 03:26 AM
Advanced

However, doesn't a cleaner engine (less deposits from the gas) produce a more efficient engine?
Not to the point of a 15 percent plus gain in energy from a given unit of fuel. RIF.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:26 AM
Instructor

sighh..i must agree with you there Tex929rr, but my observations are not made up. I'll make sure to keep updating my mpg, i'll do that every couple of weeks i guess.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:05 AM

RIF.
"Reading is fundamental" or "Resistance is futile?"
Old 04-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Advanced

sighh..i must agree with you there Tex929rr, but my observations are not made up. I'll make sure to keep updating my mpg, i'll do that every couple of weeks i guess.
I believe your observations - there must be another explanation, though.

I always use Shell gas because I get a 5 percent discount on my Shell credit card. And three of my vehicles take premium only.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:19 AM

I'm still LOOKING for a Shell station in my environs. And Shell didn't appear to have a "find your local stations" thing on their site. Lame.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:45 PM
6 speed is life

Hi guys/gals, I am brand new to the forum and as my name suggests brand new to Acura. I just ridded myself from my VW's. I've owned 9 and I'm done with them. I haven't tried Shell. I just purchased my TSX 15 days ago. The GM and I were discussing the premium fuel recomendation/requirement and he did the classic look over his shoulder and said to me in hushed tones "I run regular in my MDX and my wife's TSX and we don't notice a real difference in performance or mileage. The only one you really have to run premium in is the RDX because of the turbo." I have been experimenting that angle (am on my 4th tank) and i gotta say, I think he's right. I got the computer to average up to 37 mpg on a recent 50 mile round trip of highway driving with speeds varying from 50 to 70 MPH. I was using every trick I know to squeeze that kind of mileage out so It's not truly indicative of my normal driving habits. That was on Conoco 87 octane. I'm on Wal Mart 91 premium right now. Tanks 1 and 4: 91. Tanks 2 and 3: 87. I seem to get to about 310 to 315 miles before the fuel light comes on no matter what. Overall, I have not feather footed this car by any means. I've topped it out just to see ehat it'll do and I'm impressed that it will get to that speed yet give me 30 plus mpg if I drive reasonable. That to me is the epitome of "high performance" So far I am totally impressed with the TSX. To me the 6 speed makes the car. Sorry if I got off point, I'm new and I'm psyched about my new car.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by EXVeeDubber
Hi guys/gals, I am brand new to the forum and as my name suggests brand new to Acura. I just ridded myself from my VW's. I've owned 9 and I'm done with them. I haven't tried Shell. I just purchased my TSX 15 days ago. The GM and I were discussing the premium fuel recomendation/requirement and he did the classic look over his shoulder and said to me in hushed tones "I run regular in my MDX and my wife's TSX and we don't notice a real difference in performance or mileage. The only one you really have to run premium in is the RDX because of the turbo." I have been experimenting that angle (am on my 4th tank) and i gotta say, I think he's right. ...
Welcome to the forum, congrats on your new car (don't miss the "new owner sign in" and FAQ threads), and please take a search for previous threads on gas use. There is an anti-knock sensor which will change engine tuning to adapt to lower octane gas. By most accounts, it diminishes performance, and may even diminish mileage (the engine runs less efficiently). At least a couple of owners claimed to get better mileage using the recommended gas.

FWIW, I sometimes mix 87 or 89 with the usual 93, figuring that it's "mixing up" to about 91 (the recommendation, which I believe is standard octane in Europe, where the TSX originates). I save a few pennies, but still adhere to the octane recommendation.

A GM is NOT someone I'd consider a engineering expert on the car. Ask one of the service guys, or a automotive expert, before swallowing that nugget if misinformation whole.

Oh, and check out the "Easter egg" thread.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:16 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
As I mentioned in another thread, I received a Costco membership for Xmas so I had been filling up with Costco 91 for the past 3 months. I've noticed that my mileage was around 2mpg lower but I figured it was a combination of cooler temps in the winter, maybe running lower psi, maybe more wear on the tires. But, 2 weekends ago we took a trip to San Diego and I filled up with Shell 91. I immediately felt the car respond better, just a U-turn and 2 blocks to the freeway onramp and the acceleration on the onramp felt easier. My fuel warning light used to come on at around 330-340miles on the tank, I'm at 343 right now and just a hair less than 1/4 tank, I think I've got at least 20 or so miles to go before the fuel warning light comes on. So, I don't know if this is an indictment of how bad Costco gas is or how good Shell is. I just know that, for me, the difference between Costco ( ) and Shell ( ) is significant. I'm going to experiment with Mobil next.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:48 PM

I'd thought that Costco was good stuff, at least comparable with others. Maybe they switched to a "summer" configuration as you filled up at non-Costco, which I hear yields better performance (winter season additives can rob MPGs IIRC).

I filled up last night with Shell 93 (no 94 in sight) to the tune of $3.66 per gallon --- ouch! Will have to flush this tank before I have ~ 98% Shell in the tank, but yeesh at that price ... I HOPE I get more miles per gallon!
Old 04-09-2008, 02:28 PM
detour

ill give shell a try too as well on my next fill up
Old 04-09-2008, 03:23 PM

Actually, I might've been listening in the wrong ear from those who claim the TSX' engine really does need 91 or better. I'd forgotten what the Car Talk guys wrote about this topic:

Originally Posted by Car Talk guys
It's true that premium gas does contain special or extra detergents, but in our opinion they're of no additional benefit. Our advice is to ignore any sales pitch about the super-special detergents that come in the premium-grade fuel.

These days, all of the gasoline from the major gas companies contain more than enough detergents to keep your engine clean. Period.

... You said "major gas companies." Is there a difference in the gas between the big names, and the El-Cheapo gasoline at my local Costco or Stupey-Mart?

There is. A number of years ago, some of the major auto manufacturers were ticked off with the deposits from gas that met EPA detergent standards. In other words, they were afraid they'd take the heat for problems, when their customer's engines clogged up from the twigs and dirt that was getting deposited on their fine handiwork.

So, they set their own guidelines, which they call "Tier 2." All of the gas from the major gas companies meets the Tier 2 standards. The gas at your local Quickie Mart probably does not. The difference? In some tests, after about 10,000 miles, there was a minor amount of crud built up on engine components that ran exclusively on Quickie-Mart gas. Do we think this is an issue? Not really. But, would we advise running your car for 100,000 miles only on Quickie-Mart gas? Not if you're concerned about the longevity of your vehicle. We recommend switching back and forth between Tier 1 and Tier 2 — maybe every other tank full — to keep your engine running clean.
http://www.cartalk.com/content/featu...questions.html
http://www.cartalk.com/content/featu...ths.html#myth4
Old 04-09-2008, 03:45 PM

According to these pages, BP (Amoco) Ultimate is just as good.... (The following links talk as much about the higher octane as with the BP/Amoco "Top Tier" fuel.)

"Restored fuel economy" http://www.bp.com/genericarticle.do?...tentId=7024161
"Better drivability" http://www.bp.com/genericarticle.do?...tentId=7024127
"More power" http://www.bp.com/subsection.do?cate...tentId=7023403

Our tests have shown the acceleration increase from using Amoco Ultimate® fuel is roughly equivalent to upgrading from a 3.0 to a 3.4 litre engine....
Umm.... More specifically...

Our tests run under tightly controlled conditions in a range of vehicles, show that use of 93-octane Amoco Ultimate can improve acceleration in cars that can benefit from premium fuel by up to approximately 10.6%, compared to regular gasoline. These acceleration benefits are derived from higher octane.

... The acceleration benefits from Amoco Ultimate fuel are also evident in the following live demonstrations conducted at the Homestead Miami Speedway in January 2005: Two identical cars perform a series of side-by-side acceleration tests. One car is fuelled with Amoco Ultimate, the other with regular gasoline. The tests are repeated to ensure the data are accurate but time and again the car fuelled with Amoco Ultimate demonstrates a significant acceleration improvement, whether the cars are as sporty as the Acura TSX and the Mitsubishi Evolution, or as family friendly as the Volkswagen Passat (which does not require premium gasoline but can benefit from a premium product).
(emphasis added)

Enough wallowing in marketing-speak for one day. I need a shower.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jlukja
As I mentioned in another thread, I received a Costco membership for Xmas so I had been filling up with Costco 91 for the past 3 months. I've noticed that my mileage was around 2mpg lower but I figured it was a combination of cooler temps in the winter, maybe running lower psi, maybe more wear on the tires. But, 2 weekends ago we took a trip to San Diego and I filled up with Shell 91. I immediately felt the car respond better, just a U-turn and 2 blocks to the freeway onramp and the acceleration on the onramp felt easier. My fuel warning light used to come on at around 330-340miles on the tank, I'm at 343 right now and just a hair less than 1/4 tank, I think I've got at least 20 or so miles to go before the fuel warning light comes on. So, I don't know if this is an indictment of how bad Costco gas is or how good Shell is. I just know that, for me, the difference between Costco ( ) and Shell ( ) is significant. I'm going to experiment with Mobil next.
The difference is probably the winter blend and the summer blend. Most refineries start producing summer blends around March. It might be sooner for your folks in the west coast. Winter blend gas has a higher content of ethanol, reducing your fuel mileage. And also cooler temps during the winter results in lower fuel mileage because the air is denser so our ecu compensate by dumping more fuel into the engine. I usually see a 3-7mpg difference between the winter and summer. The additive used in the summer blend also has an octane boost factor much like ethanol, but difference is that ethanol has only about 80% of energy a petrol-chemical would have. I use Shell because its right on my route into campus and I like how every Shell station I've been to is clean, tidy, and brightly lit.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Racer

oh yeah a few secrets to pumping gas. Only fill up during the morning(early) and late at night(if you must). Colder gasoline mean denser gasoline. And denser gasoline means more gas for your buck. Pumps charge by volume not by density, so you win if you fill up with colder gas. During the day time, the gas heats up, even at 10ft underground. When gasoline heats up, it is less dense. "Fuel" for thought
Old 04-09-2008, 05:11 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
I try to get my gas at WaWa but they do not have any in NC. I use sam's club. I fill it up-(no spillage) drive conservatively-get over 30MPG. I use REGULAR gas-enough power, performance for me (I know David, I am a gurl (LOL))42,500 miles and runs excellent.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
I use REGULAR gas-enough power, performance for me (I know David, I am a gurl (LOL))42,500 miles and runs excellent.
Well, the car talk guys are backing you up, driving conservatively, the regular is probably just fine. I suspect those of thems that live above 5000 rpm much of the time need the higher octane to get the most out of that li'l engine.

I just crossed 50,000 miles last week, and even took a pic -- alas, it's blurry and jerky, didn't use your photo technique!
Old 04-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Cruisin'

INteresting. I usually just note how much I dump in and compare with the "estimated range" on my MID. I find the sump is roughly 2.5 gals, maybe 3.1 (when the "(E)" light goes on), and that can get me ~60 miles before conk-out time. Again ... I'm not trying to do that like some people did in another thread.
All I have here in Charlotte is Shell gas stations

V-Power is the best available out there, no questions asked. But its almost $3.50/gal so that sux ass.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ThirdLane
The difference is probably the winter blend and the summer blend. Most refineries start producing summer blends around March. It might be sooner for your folks in the west coast. Winter blend gas has a higher content of ethanol, reducing your fuel mileage. And also cooler temps during the winter results in lower fuel mileage because the air is denser so our ecu compensate by dumping more fuel into the engine. I usually see a 3-7mpg difference between the winter and summer. The additive used in the summer blend also has an octane boost factor much like ethanol, but difference is that ethanol has only about 80% of energy a petrol-chemical would have. I use Shell because its right on my route into campus and I like how every Shell station I've been to is clean, tidy, and brightly lit.
You may be right. But, I keep tabs on my fuel economy for every fill up (I'm anal that way) and its uncanny how my mileage went down with the very first fill up at Costco. Coincidence? Perhaps, but it sure is suspicious.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Advanced

My 2006 TSX 6MT runs better and gets better mileage on V-Power. I used to run Mobil exclusively and it averaged 28.74 MPG. I was sick of the 1-2 shift lag and decided to try Shell V-Power to see if it would make any difference. It made a huge difference in drivability. The lag is all but gone, and my mileage is up ~1 MPG.

Mark
Old 04-09-2008, 07:17 PM
10th Gear

For the past 4-5 months all I have used is V-Power mainly because I have a SHell Gas card that gives me 5% back every month (considering i never carry a balance or pay a penny in interest they probably hate me!)...can't say I have noticed increased gas mileage but my engine does run pretty smoothly. I drive about 60/40 highway/city and have never seen my MPG gauge on the car about 24.5-25.0, guess I get really crappy mileage compared to the rest of you, and I really don't drive that hard, I wonder what gives?

Steve
Old 04-10-2008, 08:17 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dmbisone
For the past 4-5 months all I have used is V-Power mainly because I have a SHell Gas card that gives me 5% back every month (considering i never carry a balance or pay a penny in interest they probably hate me!)...can't say I have noticed increased gas mileage but my engine does run pretty smoothly. I drive about 60/40 highway/city and have never seen my MPG gauge on the car about 24.5-25.0, guess I get really crappy mileage compared to the rest of you, and I really don't drive that hard, I wonder what gives?

Steve
There are quite a few people with TSX's that just randomly seem to get horrible gas mileage. Right now, in my 3rd fill up, I am at 220 miles and just a tad bit lower than middlle of the tank. I know the stupid needle fluctuates alot but even so, it's a lot better so far than usual. Also, i expect the end of the tank for this to have a bit lower mpg because i have been teaching my cousin how to drive manual on my TSX and yesterday, he stalled 12 times in 20 minutes! Now to get this straight, i'm not saying Shell is the best, but it did make a very noticeable difference in my car. This wasn't only because of the winter/summer fuel mix either.

Quick Reply: Shell V-Power...wow!