Second report - the nav

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 09:10 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Second report - the nav

Those of you who have navs probably know all this already. Those of you who don't and are trying to decide whether to get it - get it.

In addition to the ability to find places, which I need to do in my work fairly often, there are some other uses for it that I love.

First, took a trip through a hilly, winding road area. It was a blast. When I got to the destination, I saw that there was another interesting looking road on the display that headed back in the same general direction. I had the nav give me several choices of ways back home, and the interesting looking road was one of them.

Second, several times now I've ignored the directions to the chosen destination just to see some new roads. I'd simply drive through the intersection instead of turning. The nav will keep telling you to turn around until you get far enough that it's closer to go a different way. But if you go to menu and hit detour (or say "menu" and then "detour"), it will find a different route utilizing the road you're driving on. For those of you who like to explore, the nav is a terrific tool.

Third, even if your destination is in an area you're familiar with, if you're at all like me, you'll occasionally have to stop and figure out how to get there from your current location. The nav solves that quickly.

And in general, for gadget freaks like me, you just can't find a gadget that's more fun.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:28 PM
Instructor

Naptown reporting....

I couldn't agree with you more.

I absolutely love the Nav.

Aside from the actual Map/Direction list, I just find the voice recognition to be so incredibly helpful. I will definetely look into getting one into my future cars.

If only I could fit one into my Impreza.

Naptown out.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:13 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey uh... Have any of you people with Navigation tried to take out the Nav DVD and stick in a DVD with some software on it? Such as a game that comes in a dvd? Or... since most dvd-roms can also read cd-roms. Have any of you tried sticking a cd-romn in there? like a game? The navigation system has a processor in it... so i wouldn't be too surprised if it worked. lol
just curious... has anyone tried this?
Old 09-11-2003, 08:31 AM
Burning Brakes

never bothered to try, when i had my old TL with nav people tried it. it doesnt read DVD disks. it doesnt play games. and to be honest i never could understand why people think it is so important to have these worthless toys in a car.
if you want to play XBOX then why not play it in the comfort of your home. why go to the car and play?
if you want to watch a movie why not watch it at home? why go to the car and be distracted by it playing while you drive?

the answer to these questions in reality is that people who find this need for video entertainment really just want it to impress their friends because its cool. but in reality totally worthless.
if you have kids and have screens in the back seat that is totally different. now i can see a perfect use for movies and games in the car.
in fact my 2003 Honda Pilot with rear DVD ent system gets used for that frequently with my 2 kids. but i have absolutly no desire to have that in my TSC dash screen. i find that the map and trip computer are far more usefull just as they are without the distraction of games and movies.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:37 AM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

Originally posted by Alin10123
Hey uh... Have any of you people with Navigation tried to take out the Nav DVD and stick in a DVD with some software on it? Such as a game that comes in a dvd? Or... since most dvd-roms can also read cd-roms. Have any of you tried sticking a cd-romn in there? like a game? The navigation system has a processor in it... so i wouldn't be too surprised if it worked. lol
just curious... has anyone tried this?
I agree 100% with bass mechanic. I have the nav for nav - not entertainment.

From all the nav investigation done in other threads, I don't think anything would work anyway. The actual WinCE Nav program should be loaded into memory on the unit itself - not on the DVD. In theory, the DVD will only contain the actual map, POI data and various pictures. (splash screen, full US map if you zoom all the way out, etc..)

-r
Old 09-11-2003, 06:36 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I respect Bass Mechanics opinion. But I do not have my Playstation in my car to impress my friends. Sure its nice. But i spend alot of my time driving and traveling between PA and NJ, and take road trips all the time. Having the ability for my passengers to use the navi for DVDs and games is perfect for those situations.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:29 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I only asked the question out of curiosity. I have no intention of doing that even if it did work. I was just curious since i look to mess around with stuff like that. But i would never really do it. I agree with your view on this though.

Originally posted by Bass Mechanic
never bothered to try, when i had my old TL with nav people tried it. it doesnt read DVD disks. it doesnt play games. and to be honest i never could understand why people think it is so important to have these worthless toys in a car.
if you want to play XBOX then why not play it in the comfort of your home. why go to the car and play?
if you want to watch a movie why not watch it at home? why go to the car and be distracted by it playing while you drive?

the answer to these questions in reality is that people who find this need for video entertainment really just want it to impress their friends because its cool. but in reality totally worthless.
if you have kids and have screens in the back seat that is totally different. now i can see a perfect use for movies and games in the car.
in fact my 2003 Honda Pilot with rear DVD ent system gets used for that frequently with my 2 kids. but i have absolutly no desire to have that in my TSC dash screen. i find that the map and trip computer are far more usefull just as they are without the distraction of games and movies.