Road & Track Readers Choice Award: The Best Car 2004

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 05:01 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road & Track Readers Choice Award: The Best Car 2004

I just saw it on the speed channel last night. Best car for 2004 WRX STI.

the had this car against Porche, Masda RX8, New BMW 5 series, someothers ... and STI came on top

WHAT DO YOU THINK???

they said best bang for the buck... Performance wise
Old 03-09-2004, 05:23 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

bang for the buck, IE: when a CD player is an option for a $32k car? not my vote.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:28 PM
Lost In Transmission

They had a 2004 WRX STI at the Cincinnati Auto Show. It was falling apart. The rubber piece that the glass window slides into at the top was falling out of place. Some of the plastic pieces inside were cracked. The car has a very exciting 'wiggle' about it - all the extra crap they smack all over it - if you pushed the car, the spoiler and other 'features' continued to move for a few seconds - as if they weren't really 'connected' with the car. Though I'm sure that car had been to every car show this year and has been defouled by many a people... its still a POS IMO. A rather quick moving POS, I will admit. While you can't get a faster car for less... what exactly are you getting? A Subaru.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:50 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally posted by freudy
its still a POS IMO. A rather quick moving POS, I will admit.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:31 PM
Advanced

The STI isnt bad but the EVO on the other hand is a bug for a Mistubushi. I went to the dealership and the manager tried selling me a 2003 yellow EVO for $29,000 and on the car it had "Last Chance $32,233 I was in shock because I didnt even neo. at all I was just saying bye.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:48 PM
8th Gear

I had an STi for about 2 weeks the interior quality just annoyed me so much I had to get rid of it. Bought an S2000 the same day i sold my STi, and now I'm looking at a TSX to go with my S2000.

Dan
Old 03-09-2004, 11:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Veneficus
I had an STi for about 2 weeks the interior quality just annoyed me so much I had to get rid of it. Bought an S2000 the same day i sold my STi, and now I'm looking at a TSX to go with my S2000.

Dan
why would you get a S2K if you couldnt stand the STi's interior i had a s2k for a while, great car like the STi but the interior was nothing to be happy about... it was like it was made by fisher price..especially the stereo
Old 03-10-2004, 09:00 AM
8th Gear

because the STi interior is a cheap plastic rattling piece of junk. I had a WRX for two years prior and it has the same interior the quality is just poor. After 200 miles in my STi it started rattling like my WRX did. At this point I started to question why would I spend 30K+ on a car just for power? For me it's not about pure power, that's all the Evo and the STi are very powerful well handling machines. I need something more for my money; if the car is 1 second slower it doesn't matter I don't drive for numbers. I don't want an ugly car bat out of hell fast car. I want a good looking great car.

What MY was your S2K? they had poor stereos '00 -'01. I have an '03 which has a much better stereo and some minor interior tweaks. The stereo works well for me, it's not the best I've heard. The TSX will be my car for driving when I want good sound. The interior of my S2K is simple, but it's elegant and it's not cheap feeling like the WRX and STi. But don't get my wrong I kept my WRX for 2 years, which is the longest I have ever kept a car, it was a good car. My tastes have changed.

Dan
Old 03-10-2004, 04:51 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Veneficus
because the STi interior is a cheap plastic rattling piece of junk. I had a WRX for two years prior and it has the same interior the quality is just poor. After 200 miles in my STi it started rattling like my WRX did. At this point I started to question why would I spend 30K+ on a car just for power? For me it's not about pure power, that's all the Evo and the STi are very powerful well handling machines. I need something more for my money; if the car is 1 second slower it doesn't matter I don't drive for numbers. I don't want an ugly car bat out of hell fast car. I want a good looking great car.

What MY was your S2K? they had poor stereos '00 -'01. I have an '03 which has a much better stereo and some minor interior tweaks. The stereo works well for me, it's not the best I've heard. The TSX will be my car for driving when I want good sound. The interior of my S2K is simple, but it's elegant and it's not cheap feeling like the WRX and STi. But don't get my wrong I kept my WRX for 2 years, which is the longest I have ever kept a car, it was a good car. My tastes have changed.

Dan
You right... maybe if the STI had a slightly better interior and maybe if the would do something with that WING and the rims... I would totaly go for the STI over most cars on the market now
Old 03-10-2004, 06:43 PM
Advanced

It's Road and Track's Car of the Year.

If the magazine was just "Road" or "Freeway and byway", then the WRX STi probably wouldn't have won on account of the aforementioned POS interior and poor ride quality (and high noise levels

Nonetheless I commend their choice and would drive an STi myself if I didn't value a nice interior and a quiet ride so much.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:11 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally posted by MikeL
It's Road and Track's Car of the Year.
It's actually the Reader's Choice Award, meaning the readers chose it, not the editors.

Speaking of which. go to Edmunds.com and vote for your Reader's Most Wanted awards. I nominated the Nissan Titan as most significant vehicle of the year, simply because it's the first real threat from Japan against the Big 2's biggest market.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:03 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by phile
[B]It's actually the Reader's Choice Award, meaning the readers chose it, not the editors.
Which makes it even more skewed because these are people who for the most part haven't driven any of the cars, nor have any responsibility for their anonymous choices.

But my point was just that it's a terrific performance value but not much good for the road. I know it's already been said but I really need to increase my post count.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:13 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally posted by MikeL
Which makes it even more skewed because these are people who for the most part haven't driven any of the cars, nor have any responsibility for their anonymous choices.

I agree. Armchair quarterbacks we call 'em.