Road & Track First Drive '06 TSX Writeup

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 01:55 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet ANOTHER review that slams a honda/acura for crappy OEM tires. Go on Tirerack, and there are at least 50 different All-season tires that are both cheaper and better than the OEM Michelins; why couldn't Honda choose any of those instead?
Old 01-20-2006, 02:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
TSX - Makes you think twice about getting 3er, TL, etc.
Jetta - Makes you think twice about getting TSX.

These little comparisons may flatter VW GLI owners, and I'll give VW props, BUT (you knew that was coming) when compared to a bigger field of cars, for overall value, performance, reliablity, and a host of other factors, the TSX is still a 10 best winner, and the Jetta/Mazda/model-of-the-week isn't.

Let's just suffice it to say, that the GLI is a wannabe upgraded version of the Jetta. Just look at it - its meant to be "aggressive" and an "performance-enhanced" version of the plain Jetta. I find it more akin to the Mazdaspeed 6, Impreza WRX, Lancer EVO. So sure, it should win such a specialty contest against an Accord, TSX, MS6, Pontiac G6, considering it was designed to be a sporty enhanced version (and not a good one at that - an EVO or WRX would spank it if the Jetta were held to the performance standard this comparison used). However, like I mentioned, it just doesn't cut it when the field gets bigger (specifically the 10 best field) when you consider all aspect of the car, not just power advantages. The TSX remains a better, if not best, cross-section of sport and luxury at this price point while the Jetta GLI is trying to appeal to a luxury/sport compact/rice crowd. Sure it can perform better (isn't this its mission, being the "sport" edition and all), but plainly, it got by on a misclassification into this test. It took home 1st place honors in a comparison with questionable selection methods, and can't even get on the 10 best list.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX Hokie
Yet ANOTHER review that slams a honda/acura for crappy OEM tires. Go on Tirerack, and there are at least 50 different All-season tires that are both cheaper and better than the OEM Michelins; why couldn't Honda choose any of those instead?
Because Honda gets the OEM Michelins designed to their spec and at a ridiculous rate because they buy in bulk.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:57 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Because Honda gets the OEM Michelins designed to their spec and at a ridiculous rate because they buy in bulk.
The problem is that their 'spec' is excellent treadwear but noisy and practically no grip, regardless of conditions. If Acura is really trying to be Honda's 'sport' brand, they need to at least use performance all-seasons. Whichever tire they bought in bulk would be cheap to them; they might as well buy decent ones.

People paying $30k for a car are willing to get a few less miles out of the tires in exchange for not sliding off the road every time they take a turn in the rain.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:42 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by TSX Hokie
The problem is that their 'spec' is excellent treadwear but noisy and practically no grip, regardless of conditions. If Acura is really trying to be Honda's 'sport' brand, they need to at least use performance all-seasons. Whichever tire they bought in bulk would be cheap to them; they might as well buy decent ones.

People paying $30k for a car are willing to get a few less miles out of the tires in exchange for not sliding off the road every time they take a turn in the rain.
I have to say I agree. My dad hates the Michelins on his RSX, and he's the most conservative driver on the planet. My mom dislikes the Michelins on her 2nd-gen TL -- crappy wet/snow traction. My brother couldn't wait to swap the Michelins on his Accord for Goodyear Triple-Treds, and he's also a very conservative driver.

The Avon M550's I bought ride smoother, quieter, they're stickier on dry pavement, grip a ton better on wet or slushy roads, they're W-speed rated, and have a higher treadwear rating (360 vs. 300) than the OEM Michelins. And they're just one example, there are a ton more. You can't tell me Honda/Acura couldn't get the $107 Avons at least as cheap, in bulk, as the $185 Michelins.

I think Honda sticking with Michelin is an example of corporate inertia.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:42 PM
Cruisin'

How about picking up your new TSX with brand new Yoko Parada Spec II's slapped on instead?

I can dream.....can't I?
Old 01-23-2006, 09:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by peter_bigblock
You can't tell me Honda/Acura couldn't get the $107 Avons at least as cheap, in bulk, as the $185 Michelins.
Perhaps, but I'll bet you that Honda/Acura couldn't get Avon to spend the development money to spec out their tires exactly to the spec that Honda/Acura wants for their cars.

And while I agree with you guys that the Michelins are not exactly the best tires, they are exactly what they should be, a compromise. Plus, they have apparently excellent tread life.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:06 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Plus, they have apparently excellent tread life.

I'm stuck with em for another 2 summers at least