Rear Wheel Drive (IE Lexus, Audi) vs Front Wheel Drive (Acura)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 06:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beoshingus
He hopes I'm kidding...
well, if you're not, please enlighten us how this is possible.

if you are, then you got me GOOD. I spent 30min actually thinking about it.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:20 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdeeno
Old 03-29-2006, 06:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Dan Martin

SHUUTT UP!!! JUST SHUT !!! YOU ALL SUCK AND I HOPE YOU ALL LOSE AN ARM AND END UP IN A WHEEL CHAIR!!!
Old 03-29-2006, 07:07 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The fastest cars are those that are LWD (Left Wheel Drive), meaning that only the front left and back left wheels are powered. This is because of the "right hand rule" which you may remember from your physics class when you were studying torque. Unfortunately, there are very few manufacturers that are pursuing LWD vehicles at this time due to the ignorance of the public and the difficulty of explaining the LWD concept to non-technical people.
I'd love to see that drivetrain!
Old 03-29-2006, 07:09 PM
Thriller

well, if you're not, please enlighten us how this is possible.

Your f***g kidding right...oh I meant left! But I do notice when I drive westward I get better mileage than when I head eastward. Beo, any physics explanation for that? Does the EZPass tag have anything to do with it?
Old 03-29-2006, 07:37 PM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

Don't have limited slip differential, so we have just one wheel drive? And thats the front inside wheel, and then traction controll puts on brakes of its choice? I think the front outside wheel would be the better, cause thats the one that is loaded. Getting practice going nowhere in dirt and snow.

I think the FWD gives us a lead over RWD. One car length. While that BMW is sorting out the tail, we're gone!
Old 03-29-2006, 07:46 PM
Advanced

where does it say that Audi was a RWD?

I don't remember writing it..

but thanks to everyone for clearing some misconceptions... just for the record... i drive a TSX too.. but had some doubts as to whether or not it could take my friend's Lexus IS300... and no i probably will not be racing him.. but it's just good to know that I could take him if we ever decided to.

so then...what is it about a car that allows it to have faster top speeeds ? did i hear somebody mention toruqe and weight of car?
Old 03-29-2006, 08:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by allqt
where does it say that Audi was a RWD?

I don't remember writing it..

but thanks to everyone for clearing some misconceptions... just for the record... i drive a TSX too.. but had some doubts as to whether or not it could take my friend's Lexus IS300... and no i probably will not be racing him.. but it's just good to know that I could take him if we ever decided to.

so then...what is it about a car that allows it to have faster top speeeds ? did i hear somebody mention toruqe and weight of car?
Uhmm... check your title.

Top speed is mainly a function of horsepower, gearing and drag coefficient (weight, to a lesser degree).
Old 03-29-2006, 08:45 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by psteng19
Uhmm... check your title.

Top speed is mainly a function of horsepower, gearing and drag coefficient (weight, to a lesser degree).
Drag coefficient just says how slippery a shape is. You also need to know the frontal area of the car to calculate drag.

To calculate speed you need to know:
1) the net force pushing forward
2) the net force pulling you back
3) gearing & rev limits
Old 03-30-2006, 12:50 AM
Burning Brakes

i think FWD will have more comfortable ride than RWD
Old 03-30-2006, 02:41 AM
Advanced

SHUUTT UP!!! JUST SHUT !!! YOU ALL SUCK AND I HOPE YOU ALL LOSE AN ARM AND END UP IN A WHEEL CHAIR!!!
first: WHOA!
second: losing an arm probably wouldn't bind most people to a wheelchair.

but if it did i would probly get a LWD chair!
Old 03-30-2006, 06:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kyotousa
i think FWD will have more comfortable ride than RWD
Any reason for that?

I think comfort is all in the suspension tuning/wheels/tires, not with which wheels are driven.

unless it's LEFT WHEEL DRIVEN!
Old 03-30-2006, 06:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by grasseater

that's why I said 'AND end up in a wheelchair'...2 separate thoughts: 1) lose arm,
2) end up in wheelchair.

1+2=left (or right...depending on what arm you have left) wheel drive.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:57 AM
Overlord

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trophyhead
I'd love to see that drivetrain!
It's belt driven.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:01 AM
Overlord

Originally Posted by YOTH
Your f***g kidding right...oh I meant left! But I do notice when I drive westward I get better mileage than when I head eastward. Beo, any physics explanation for that? Does the EZPass tag have anything to do with it?
That's simple. When you drive west, the earth is rotating against your directional vector, so you have to exert less effort to maintain speed. If we could reduce your inertia enough, you could jump straight up in New York and land in Lake Huron. The rotation of the earth WANTS you to go west. Go west, young man!
Old 03-30-2006, 09:02 AM
Overlord

Originally Posted by grasseater

Old 03-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by loulinjai
I remember quoting from someone...basically horsepower sells a car, but torque is what moves a car. you have to take into account of weight, aerodynamics, characteristics of a car and way horsepower is measured....
ie. the 400hp v8's in the 60's would not make 200hp in today's horsepower measuring standards
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 03-30-2006, 12:02 PM
Banned

RWD > FWD in handling. Period.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:14 PM
Overlord

Originally Posted by GodMachine
LWD>AWD>RWD>FWD
Old 03-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by GodMachine
You may want to qualify that as "all things being equal." You can't tell me a 1962 RWD Chevy Impala handles better than a 2004 FWD Acura TSX, JUST because it's a FR layout.

And all these supposed advantages RWD has over FWD probably aren't realized until you hit 8/10ths or better on the spirited driving scale.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dom
Sometimes I wish the TSX was AWD. This RWD is killing me in the winter.
Actually when my crescent was fully covered by snow, I need to drive my bimmer backward in order to go home & back to the garage!
Old 03-30-2006, 12:31 PM
Overlord

Originally Posted by ianS
Actually when my crescent was fully covered by snow, I need to drive my bimmer backward in order to go home & back to the garage!
If you'd had LWD, you could have just turned left into the garage.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by waTSX
You may want to qualify that as "all things being equal." You can't tell me a 1962 RWD Chevy Impala handles better than a 2004 FWD Acura TSX, JUST because it's a FR layout.

And all these supposed advantages RWD has over FWD probably aren't realized until you hit 8/10ths or better on the spirited driving scale.
Several advantages that RWD has over FWD without even having to get anywhere near 8/10ths driving:

1) weight distribution more ideal (closer to 50/50) for more neutral cornering feel vs. fwd.

2) communication between steering and driver is less "insulated" in RWD applications because...

3) torque steer is not a problem in RWD cars, so no need for complicated suspensions that causes #2 above.

4) How much torque the car can handle is limited in FWD cars because of #3 above and traction issues during hard acceleration...too much torque with weight lifting off the drive wheels is more likely to cause loss of traction in those wheels.

These are some advantages I can think of without having to get to 8/10ths driving.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:35 PM
Suzuka Master

LWD>AWD>RWD>FWD

ENOUGH with the LWD! You guys are driving me nuts!!!!! I'm STILL trying to figure it out in my head because you guys keep on bringing it up!!!
Old 03-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Suzuka Master

My thing is this...

sure, a FWD TSX or TL can handle better than some RWD cars.

But RWD is inherently better handling...so why take a FWD car and put all kinds of research and development dollars into it to make it handle a little better than RWD, when they could've saved all that and started with RWD instead? That being said, the BEST FWD handling vehicle will not handle than the BEST RWD vehicle. It's much easier AND cheaper to make a RWD handling vehicle handle ven better.

It's like computers...you can keep your old piece of crap 486 DX2 and spend time and money to beef it up to make it almost as fast as a pentium 3, or you can spend the same amount of money and get a computer with a pentium 4 or faster.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:06 PM
Burning Brakes

My thing is this...

But RWD is inherently better handling...so why take a FWD car and put all kinds of research and development dollars into it to make it handle a little better than RWD, when they could've saved all that and started with RWD instead? That being said, the BEST FWD handling vehicle will not handle than the BEST RWD vehicle. It's much easier AND cheaper to make a RWD handling vehicle handle ven better.

It's like computers...you can keep your old piece of crap 486 DX2 and spend time and money to beef it up to make it almost as fast as a pentium 3, or you can spend the same amount of money and get a computer with a pentium 4 or faster.
I agree with you but FWD has its advantage such as lower manufactuing cost, has more rear leg room, more easy to handle on snow. For normal street driving, how often I get benefit by the RWD design? but I always get benefit on the FWD design everyday.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:13 PM
Have camera, will travel

Several advantages that RWD has over FWD without even having to get anywhere near 8/10ths driving:

1) weight distribution more ideal (closer to 50/50) for more neutral cornering feel vs. fwd.

2) communication between steering and driver is less "insulated" in RWD applications because...

3) torque steer is not a problem in RWD cars, so no need for complicated suspensions that causes #2 above.

4) How much torque the car can handle is limited in FWD cars because of #3 above and traction issues during hard acceleration...too much torque with weight lifting off the drive wheels is more likely to cause loss of traction in those wheels.

These are some advantages I can think of without having to get to 8/10ths driving.
Yeah, dude, I know all the arguements. In case you haven't noticed, this stuff has been hammered on ad nauseum here and elsewhere. And I'm not disputing any of those points.

However, torque steer is not problem for the TSX either, regardless of its layout, and RWD reduces interior space compared to FWD.

My main point is that an unequivocal statement like "RWD handles better than FWD" is wrong. There are too many examples where that is not true.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:40 PM
Banned

Wink

LWD>AWD>RWD>FWD
Old 03-30-2006, 01:46 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts

But RWD is inherently better handling...so why take a FWD car and put all kinds of research and development dollars into it to make it handle a little better than RWD, when they could've saved all that and started with RWD instead?

I see your point but obviously its easier/cheaper to make a FWD car handle within 8/10ths of a RWD car instead of developing a RWD platform. How else would you epxlain Honda's refusal to make a RWD sedan/coupe platform.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:51 PM
Overlord

My thing is this...

But RWD is inherently better handling...so why take a FWD car and put all kinds of research and development dollars into it to make it handle a little better than RWD, when they could've saved all that and started with RWD instead? That being said...
^ This from the guy who was scratching his head over LWD.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
I see your point but obviously its easier/cheaper to make a FWD car handle within 8/10ths of a RWD car instead of developing a RWD platform. How else would you epxlain Honda's refusal to make a RWD sedan/coupe platform.
If that's the case, then how can YOU explain honda's development of the s2000? If it's easier/cheaper to make a FWD car handle within 8/10ths, or even better as has been proven, of a rwd car, then why didn't they just build the s2000 from a FWD platform instead of developing a new one?
Old 03-30-2006, 02:49 PM
Suzuka Master

^ This from the guy who was scratching his head over LWD.

alright, SHUT UP ALREADY!!!

You got me good!!! I had a brain fart!!!
Old 03-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
If that's the case, then how can YOU explain honda's development of the s2000? If it's easier/cheaper to make a FWD car handle within 8/10ths, or even better as has been proven, of a rwd car, then why didn't they just build the s2000 from a FWD platform instead of developing a new one?
Limited production model intended as a celebration of Honda's racing heritage.

Mainstream cars benefit from platform sharing, and since all of Honda's current plaforms accomodate only FWD and AWD drivetrains (the S2000 and NSX being limited production exceptions) so it doesn't make sense to develop a RWD platform for a mainstream production car unless they can spread the costs.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:03 PM
Burning Brakes

No doubt a pure sport car has to be a RWD so that's why S2000 & NSX are. But for TSX, TL, Accord, Civic...etc. The interior room, lower cost to manufacture and easy to handle on snow is way more benefit to common public than the cutting edge performance. Our TSX is not 100% of the time for tracking!
Old 03-30-2006, 03:05 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

CG was dead on, Its a Halo car. Also, the S2000 is a convertible which celebrates Honda's original convertble roadster. They didn't have an existing convertible platform to work with. And they're also not that stupid. They knew that for it to be successful, producing a FWD "roadster" based on a Civic for example would be sales suicide.

Producing FWD TL's and TSX's that handle 8/10ths as well as a RWD version is sound business, which has proven to be the right move.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by waTSX
However, torque steer is not problem for the TSX either, regardless of its layout, and RWD reduces interior space compared to FWD.

My main point is that an unequivocal statement like "RWD handles better than FWD" is wrong. There are too many examples where that is not true.

I agree, a blanket statement that RWD is better than FWD is wrong, but my post is in response to your post saying "all these supposed advantages RWD has over FWD probably aren't realized until you hit 8/10ths or better on the spirited driving scale."

Torque steer is not a problem for the TSX because the engine in the TSX does not approach the power/torque "limitation" of fwd cars...which is why you will never see a production version of the TSX to rival the M3.

As for the interior space/packaging, that's more of a costs savings to the manufacturer than an actual benefit to buyers, unless you're shopping the sub-compact class where space REALLY matters.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
As for the interior space/packaging, that's more of a costs savings to the manufacturer than an actual benefit to buyers, unless you're shopping the sub-compact class where space REALLY matters.
That's not true. If you look at cars like the IS350, it has about as much interior space as a Civic, a lot of it being in part due to the exterior design, but also due to the width of the tunnel needed to house the transmission. On a FWD car like the Civic, there is no need for the transmission tunnel so you can give the front passengers more room in the footwell and in the hip area.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:23 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

May not have as much hip room but the Civic must have more leg room. The IS's backseat is almost unbelievably small.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Limited production model intended as a celebration of Honda's racing heritage.

Mainstream cars benefit from platform sharing, and since all of Honda's current plaforms accomodate only FWD and AWD drivetrains (the S2000 and NSX being limited production exceptions) so it doesn't make sense to develop a RWD platform for a mainstream production car unless they can spread the costs.

but you are assuming they can't spread the costs of developing a RWD car. I see MANY examples of companies with both front AND rear drive models selling successfully.

what doesn't make sense to me is why they would spend so much money to develop such a low volume rwd model that CAN'T spread the development costs, but refuse to spend money to develop a high volume rwd model that CAN spread the costs among many models?

And i'm not arguing they should've not done one but the other considering the s2000 is their anniversary present to us, but why not do BOTH?

to put it simply:
s2000 platform: single model / low volume / high cost = diffult to spread costs.
volume RWD platform: many models / high volume / high cost = very easy to spread costs.

and the rwd platform wouldn't be limited to sports cars as the market has shown that even RWD family sedans sell well.

And another benefit they would have had if they had a volume rear drive platform in their arsenal is they wouldn't be limited to offering only AWD models on higher hp cars, which they will eventually have to do as the TL and TSX continue to be developed to keep up with the competition.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:30 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Its a mystery to me as well but for some reason Honda seems hellbent on avoiding RWD platforms. Even the next NSX is likely to be AWD.

Acura seems to be following the Audi plan. FWD biased AWD cars.

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Drive (IE Lexus, Audi) vs Front Wheel Drive (Acura)