Rear Fender Bender Question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Fender Bender Question...

We haven't had great luck with our new TSX. Nothing has been our fault, but yesterday, my wife was backing out of parking space and so was someone else behind her and they hit. It happened in the middle of the parking lot so who's at fault?
I looked at the bumper and there are some hairline marks in the paint from where the bumper bended at impact. In addition the gap between the bumper and trunk is slightly small than the rest of the trunk in the area where the impact took place. I assume that the rear bumper reinforcement got bent, smashed, whatever slightly. Is it plastic, foam, or what? It is nothing major. There is no damage to the trunk, etc, nor marks on the bumper, just the hairline marks in the paint. If the reinforcement is plastic, the impact probably pushed the plastic up and that is what is causing the gap to be slightly smaller in the area around the impact. If the normal gap is 1/2", in this 12" area, it is about 1/4" and is not even close to touching.

How would you recommend fixing this? I can take the bumper off, but where can I get directions or just a diagram of where the clips/screws are? Also, what is the reinforcement made of and where can I buy one? As for the rear bumper, is is worth re-painting? It is a series of hairline marks, about 6" long, located near the top of the rear bumper where it bends to go towards the trunk.

I don't want to take it to a body shop, but if I did, what do you think they would charge me?
Old 12-10-2008, 12:14 PM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
both are at fault.
and yes, it is her fault.

I would bring it to a body shop and have them evaluate it and give me an estimate.
you have no idea what kind of damage has been done.
the only way to tell is to bring it to the experts.
bring it to the same place your Acura dealer brings their cars for body work.

as for removing the bumper yourself, you should buy a Helms service manual for the
car. it costs about $170 and will answer all of your questions for working on your car.
I believe everyone should own one, or everyone that wants to do any work to their
own car.

should you repaint it?
your call. do you want your new car to be damaged? if so, leave it.
if you want it fixed, then fix it. pretty simple decision there.

if you don't want to take it to a body shop, then you don't want it fixed right.
that's also a simple conclusion.
nobody even knows what is damaged, so nobody can give you an estimate
on what it will cost to fix.
but by your description, I estimate it will cost $700ish to fix.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You probably broke a few of the clips. There's a big EPS block behind the bumper that's a one time shock absorber. If it's damaged it's probably worth replacing as once it's crushed, its ability to diffuse any future impact has been depleted. If the clips are just cracked, a shop with plastic welding facilities can repair them. If they're completely broken off, you'll need a new bumper.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Had '08 rear bumper cover, painted and blocks replaced for $465 at an Acura repair shop.

parking lot accidents are no-fault accidents - each other insurance will cover their cars.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I take it to the dealer shop, will it show up on a Carfax report? Or is that only if there was a police report.

For now, I just want to see what happened behind the bumper and get the EPS block replaced. I'm sure it's not the only ding that I will get on my bumper.

Thanks for the advice. The part that bothers me the most is the change in gap between the bumper and trunk, it is slight, but it drives me crazy. Maybe I'll take it to the dealer after the holidays.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:02 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It only shows up on CarFax if it was reported by the police or you file an insurance claim on it. And just an FYI, I ended up with similar cracks on my Civic's bumper after some old man forgot he had put his car in reverse to back up out of an intersection when the light turned red. Light turned green, he hit the gas and came flying backwards into me. It was fine for about two years then the paint started peeling off.