Rant....Dealer washed the car again! Swirl marks again!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Rant....Dealer washed the car again! Swirl marks again!

So I take my car in for the HVAC lights out fix today, and I asked the service advisor NOT to wash the car. Of course, somewhere this gets lost and they went ahead and washed my car. Now, I just had the car detailed a few weeks ago, the car was free of any swirl marks after my 8 hours of PC+compound/polish/UPP. Guess what? Now the car is FULL of swirl marks and the hood looks like crap. PLUS, the car is not even clean I'm to the point where I just want to sell the car right now and not have to deal with it again

8 hours of work down the drain, and looks like I need to put in another 8 hours again. I'm so pissed, just needed to vent.

On a side note, I think the paint on the TSX is absolutely horrible in terms of durability. My hood and front bumper is pitted with rock chips, and the paint seems to scratch easily. Combined with the dealer's dirty towels and people who don't care about your car and washing your car, they were able to undo my 8 hours of work in less than 10 mins.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would make the dealership pay for another buffing. You told them not to, they did it anyway and now your paint is scratched up. I'd definitely bring it up with them. They can probably do it in house for pennies on the dollar.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
I would make the dealership pay for another buffing. You told them not to, they did it anyway and now your paint is scratched up. I'd definitely bring it up with them. They can probably do it in house for pennies on the dollar.

I talked to the service advisor over the phone, he was apologizing and offered a free oil change (not like that will help with anything, but at least he showed some courtesy).

I thought about asking them to correct the swirl marks, but should I risk having them screw it up even further? Or removing too much paint just so it looks swirl-free for the time being?
Old 06-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah i wouldn't trust their detail shop. chances are if they created all those swirls, they won't know how to remove them properly.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:18 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I would talk to the service advisor again and tell him that you are going to get it professionally detailed to get the swirl marks out and that they should reimburse you for it. There is no reason they should be allowed to get off without paying for something if you specifically asked for the car not to be washed.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Next time put a post-it on the stir !DO NOT WASH!
Old 06-25-2008, 01:54 PM
Intermediate

Almost every luxury brand dealership now uses a touch free car wash, so swirl marks shouldn't be happening, especially at a Acura dealership. I suggest you go to another dealer.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Race Director

2 acura dealers by don't use touch free, they still have the old fashioned car wash. sucks! so, that means that all the acuras at your dealership you go have swirl marks.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TL929
Almost every luxury brand dealership now uses a touch free car wash, so swirl marks shouldn't be happening, especially at a Acura dealership. I suggest you go to another dealer.
if they dry his car with a dirty towel, or the wrong type of towel, that will create swirls. dirty recycled water could also damage the paint. touchless car washes do not guarantee no swirl marks.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:59 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
The dealer I take it to hand washes the cars but they ask if you want it done. They do an excellent job (no swirls) so I always say Yes.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Racer

live and learn bro.. i learned from this forum last year to not only verbally request it but also have a print out.

when i go in for service i explicitely say no car wash, no stickers on glass, and i also have a print out in all caps saying the same thing which i put on my dash.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Free swirl installation FTL
Old 06-25-2008, 03:32 PM
hates the winter

They should be writing it on the RO, so the mechanic knows not to let the kid come over and wash it. My dealer is pretty good with this, but I always bring a Post-It and write "Please do not wash car, please do not remove" and stick it on my steering wheel when I drop it off.

The kids that wash the cars get like $7.50 an hour and use dirty old mitts that sit of the floor, and dry with a california water blade. I see they use fresh hose water but the wash process is terrible.

In the winter if the car is salty, I ask if they will just HOSE the car down and not wash it. Try using a mild swirl remover with an orange pad such as SSR-1 or Sonus swirl buster.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for all the input guys... I'll probably talk to the service advisor again when I take the car in again to get the PCB replaced for the HVAC lights problem.

Showing them the swirls might or might not be difficult depending on the lighting. It's usually most visible under direct sunlight and the like.. and I assume most people won't even notice it if they aren't anal about the car like me
Old 06-26-2008, 03:12 AM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by supraken
I'm to the point where I just want to sell the car right now and not have to deal with it again

whoa whoa whoa, i know how you feel. i have a deep ass mark near the "A" badge cause some dude stole my "A" badge and thats what i felt like. but dont worry, dont feel all hope is gone because most people dont understand how detailed we are when it comes to swirls. i spent 4 hours washing and waxing my car and the lawn mower guy shot piles of dust with his leave blower on my car. so i know where you coming from. the way i deal with it is just move on because its the inevitable, we are not meant to have perfect swirl/dust free cars on this earth.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:04 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by supraken
Thanks for all the input guys... I'll probably talk to the service advisor again when I take the car in again to get the PCB replaced for the HVAC lights problem.

Showing them the swirls might or might not be difficult depending on the lighting. It's usually most visible under direct sunlight and the like.. and I assume most people won't even notice it if they aren't anal about the car like me
I thought your car had a severe case of swirls and was terrible looking. If my car is under direct sunlight and I look real close I have slight swirl marks. (not blaming the dealer or anyone for them). I used to be very paranoid but as careful as I try to be, things happen. I do alot of highway driving so it is covered with alot of chips. I handwash and wax it on a regular basis-it is garage kept. I just enjoy it and see another chip each time. From a distance my car shines and looks new.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:29 AM
Instructor

Sounds like a lot of you don't really care for the way the stealerships wash their cars. I actually won a free Summer Detail Package ($99 value) from my dealership yesterday... should I maybe request that they only do the interior, or not claim it at all?
Old 07-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jlukja
Free swirl installation FTL
Old 07-01-2008, 12:48 PM
where is my garage?!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the dealership i go to used to have this built-in washing bay. it was horrible. basically the brushes only reached far enough to really get 3/4 of your entire car, so my hood was left still looking dirty, and i had a bunch of swirl marks.

after that, i always request 'NO WASH.' i don't care if it's free or not. haha.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Racer

my dealership here does hand wash too. but unless they can guarantee me they use the 2-bucket system with grit guard, use genunie sheepskin mitts, and all that, no one is touching my car. i'll let them vacuum the interior and dress the tires since that's also part of the free service.