Question about rear shocks/struts

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 10:44 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about rear shocks/struts

I have a 2004 TSX automatic. It seems like my rear shocks/struts have worn out. My first question is, does this car have shocks or struts for the rear?

Second question, i am looking to purchase the shocks/struts on autopartsway.ca has anyone used this site? i live in canada by the way, and the shipping is free and parts seem pretty cheap. I see that they offer rear struts & also rear shock absorber. I'm just confused if this car has struts or shocks for the rear

struts: http://www.autopartsway.ca/PartList..../pagenum1/tabS

Shocks: http://www.autopartsway.ca/PartDetai.../pagenum1/tabS

Which one should i be ordering? and is KYB a good brand?
Old 05-04-2014, 10:02 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by kd2012
I have a 2004 TSX automatic. It seems like my rear shocks/struts have worn out. My first question is, does this car have shocks or struts for the rear?

Second question, i am looking to purchase the shocks/struts on autopartsway.ca has anyone used this site? i live in canada by the way, and the shipping is free and parts seem pretty cheap. I see that they offer rear struts & also rear shock absorber. I'm just confused if this car has struts or shocks for the rear

struts: http://www.autopartsway.ca/PartList..../pagenum1/tabS

Shocks: http://www.autopartsway.ca/PartDetai.../pagenum1/tabS

Which one should i be ordering? and is KYB a good brand?
It's a question of semantics. The units are more commonly referred to as shock absorbers because they're separate from the spring. The spring does mount onto the shock though, so once assembled, it does more mimic a strut. I think KYB is a pretty good brand, but I don't know what their history is when used on a TSX.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:45 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I ordered brakes pads for an old Mazda, last fall. autopartsway.ca seemed reasonably priced, and I thought this was a good test: they were quick about getting parts to me via purolator. with emailed progress reports. It was easy.

For my TSX, when I needed new struts, I bought A-Spec. I found here, on acurazine.com, links to a few US Acura dealers who have/had web businesses which regularly ship parts - any parts - to Canada. There are other support vendors, but I don't do a lot of internet buying, and felt comfortable buying parts from an Acura dealer. Plus, a Canadian dealer will install the parts, because they are Acura parts!

I ended up using Curry Acura, because NY is closer to Toronto than CA, but they handled all the paperwork, customs declaration, courier - and a I saved $700 vs buying from a Cdn dealer. Make sure you also get endlinks.

The Mazda also needed new struts, but I found very detailed HOW TO's on the internet, including here for the Acura (or was it the other Acura chatroom?), so my son and I did the installs ourselves, since I already had 80% of the tools.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by gdcwatt
I ordered brakes pads for an old Mazda, last fall. autopartsway.ca seemed reasonably priced, and I thought this was a good test: they were quick about getting parts to me via purolator. with emailed progress reports. It was easy.

For my TSX, when I needed new struts, I bought A-Spec. I found here, on acurazine.com, links to a few US Acura dealers who have/had web businesses which regularly ship parts - any parts - to Canada. There are other support vendors, but I don't do a lot of internet buying, and felt comfortable buying parts from an Acura dealer. Plus, a Canadian dealer will install the parts, because they are Acura parts!

I ended up using Curry Acura, because NY is closer to Toronto than CA, but they handled all the paperwork, customs declaration, courier - and a I saved $700 vs buying from a Cdn dealer. Make sure you also get endlinks.

The Mazda also needed new struts, but I found very detailed HOW TO's on the internet, including here for the Acura (or was it the other Acura chatroom?), so my son and I did the installs ourselves, since I already had 80% of the tools.
+1 for Curry Acura. I'm not in Canada, but ordered my A-spec lips from them and the shipping was fast and pricing was very reasonable.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:20 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,192 Posts
I've had the OEM a-spec suspension+Progress RSB on my 06 TSX for +6 years and +80,000 miles (i have 112,000 miles now). I kept my stock parts just in case A-spec/progress worn out; but, the ride is still good as new after all these years. I had to update the endlinks because one snapped about 6 months ago, replaced the front upper camber arms (normal wear/tear), and added a rear adjustable camber kit.

I got all my parts from HeelToe Automotive and been very happy with the quality of the parts and customer service.

HTSpec Ultimate Camber Kit Combo
Fastline Performance Adjustable POWERLINKS
Old 07-17-2014, 02:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have the A-Spec suspension and I really love it for NYC roads. It's smooth over most and can absorb really well while keeping it relatively sporty.