Prius Vs. Tsx

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 10:26 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The TSX is Green......... Ive owned 1989 Ramcharger 318 V8 9MPG FAR FROM GREEN. 1991 Jeep Wrangler I-6 Also far from green about 15 MPG highway. 1995 Mustang GT w/no cats about 11 MPG rated BLACK. 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 also Black. Now 2005 TSX 32 MPG. Greenest Car I could EVER imagine owning....... Cant bash a four cylinder 4 door people carrier when theres SUV's.. Or even worse.. damn tractor trailers.. old diesels. YOU choke following them for 5 minutes.. think theres millions of them driving 24/7. CARS and even SUV's are doing nothing compared to them. I did a study about 2 years ago. 1 cruise ship uses more fuel in one year than every car in New York State. They burn on average 12 gallons for every 6 feet they travel. You wanna help the environment stop going on cruises
Old 09-24-2005, 11:23 AM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by James
Yeah, dumb title. However, my dad is planning on trading in my TSX for a PRIUS... and I personally think that this is kind of cool. I've had my TSX since June '03 (an oldie here..) and love it, but i think a Prius would be pretty sick... Anyone have any opinions about this...

I know the penalties of getting the Prius. I wont be driving a super fun car, I wont have the "speed" blah blah blah but I really need a second opinion.
yea u need to be looking at the new civic hybrid and stop sacriding that toyota garbage.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by waterrockets
Prius is bigger. Different car segments: compact vs. midsize
u sure about that? prius doesn't feel any larger than a corolla to me
Old 09-24-2005, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by James
thanks for the replies... i'm going to Toyota on Monday... hopefully they won't have one in stock... jk but i'll tell you guys how it goes...

besides aren't prius' pushing the 30k mark? why the hell not an accord hybrid. meh i hate toyota with a passion.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:37 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 97AcuraCL

u sure about that? prius doesn't feel any larger than a corolla to me
Yeah, Prius is much bigger, especially in the back seat. The Civic has it for front leg room, but it's too much anyway, and I'm a leggy 6'4". The rest of the specs go to the Prius. Wheelbase 3" is longer, with nearly the same overall length, which means a bigger interior. I included Corolla for comparison too -- it's smaller.

I know what you mean though, Corollas have a bulky feel to them. My wife's V70 next to a Corolla, and the roof height difference is astonishing. V70s are squat though.

Prius:
Front Head Room: 39.1 in. Front Hip Room: 51 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 55.3 in. Rear Head Room: 37.1 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 53 in. Rear Hip Room: 51.6 in.
Front Leg Room: 41.9 in. Rear Leg Room: 38.6 in.
Luggage Capacity: 16.1 cu. ft. Maximum Cargo Capacity: 16 cu. ft.

Civic:
Front Head Room: 38 in. Front Hip Room: 51.2 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 52.6 in. Rear Head Room: 36.3 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 52 in. Rear Hip Room: 49.8 in.
Front Leg Room: 42.2 in. Rear Leg Room: 36 in.
Luggage Capacity: 12.9 cu. ft. Maximum Cargo Capacity: 13 cu. ft.

Corolla:
Front Head Room: 39.3 in. Front Hip Room: 51.9 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 53.1 in. Rear Head Room: 37.1 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 53.5 in. Rear Hip Room: 46.2 in.
Front Leg Room: 41.3 in. Rear Leg Room: 35.4 in.
Luggage Capacity: 13.5 cu. ft. Maximum Cargo Capacity: 14 cu. ft.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:28 AM
Cruisin'

I have an 05 TSX/W Navi my wife has an 04 Prius with package 9 (now package 6) which includes everything. I would have bought a Prius if I could have had leather and a sunroof (which of cours kills the aerodynamics). Leather is now an option, sunroof never will be. Hyrbids also can't be leased, and I only keep cars 3 years at a time. The car has every safety and Luxury feature the TSX has save leather and heated seats. I really like the total keyless solution the Prius has, just leave the fob in your pocket, much like the RL. I do like the TSX Navi that allows the passenger to change destination while moving. My wife averages 54 MPG. I get 48 when I drive it. As far as the battery, 8 year/100K warranty on it. Right now the cost is $3000 for a new battery. By the time it needs to be replaced it will be much lower. Also there are quite a few Prius cabs with more than 200K miles with the originial battery. My wife traded a 03 Saturn Vue for her Prius. She put 0 down on both. Her car payment went up $130 a month. She spends $60 a month less on gas. Total increase has been $70 a month. We only get a tax deduction this year o $1500 or so. We aren't making money, but we aren't wasting much either.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:35 AM
Advanced

I don't know but 50-55mpg sounds good to me. That's my average and I ain't living in Texas or Florida (those ppl get a sick 60mpg.. no idea how but I can't reach that with where I'm living). A group of people have done 100+mpg in the Prius (2000+ miles on that single tank) on a set route on public roads. Want more? Check the Japanese sites. Those people are fuel economy nuts.

a) There's a tax credit for hybrids if you take delivery on or after 1/1/06 as opposed to the current tax deduction

b) The 06 Prius is arriving in Nov with available factory leather, backup camera and bluetooth available with the JBL Audio System (as opposed to being bundled with the nav)

c) The new HCH gets 50/50 city/hwy as prelim specs. Some car mag got a real world mileage of 47mpg.

d) The Prius can go in EV mode. The new HCH can go in a quasi-EV ish mode. The current HCH can't go into EV mode

e) I like the new HCH's interior though. Very cool! Esp. the blue/beige interior combo (I hate the alloy wheels though. Give me the sedan EX wheels)

f) After 16,000kms, I still got 90% front brake pad life left and 95% left in the rear. That'll save you a set of brakes

g) Coolant gets its first change at 100,000 miles.

h) Battery cost at the moment is about US$2,000. The new Highlander Hybrid/RX400h uses a newer, thinner, more powerful battery so the Prius battery shouldn't cost that much by the time you need one (if at all). Those that have had it replaced were 2001 cars that had >300,000 miles.

i) Proven technology? This car has been around since 1997. Where have you been?

j) If you're looking for a purely commuter's car, a Honda Insight will do you good. It has an all-aluminium lightweight body and super low Cd values (0.25).

Lastly, granted the Prius isn't a sports car and doesn't try to be one. I guess you gotta set your priorities. Do you really prefer a dynamic car to drive or do you just need a nice commuter car that gets great mileage (assuming you don't drive with a leadfoot. Then any car won't get you great mileage). Also, spending Cdn$700 on gas since the end of last October ain't bad =).

Hope you and your dad are happy with whatever car you choose in the end.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:18 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm pretty sure that my coworker doesn't get anywhere near 60mpg in his Prius, but I'll have to ask again.

On the TSX you won't get 40mpg in commuting. But even with help such as the tax credits, you're still paying a lot for a smaller car. I say go for it if you want to help the US not use so much oil, but I'm still pretty impressed with my milage.

If I wanted a purely commuter car, I'd probably look at something small and more conventional, like the Civic. Someone mentioned the Smart car. Those that I saw years ago in London were really interesting. A good idea, and pretty cool-looking for what it was. I dunno if they won't bring it here because Americans don't like small cars or because they'd never pass regulations like bumper tests, but it's a shame.

But as far as proven technology, I'd go with a hybrid over fuel-cell. Besides, how are you going to get the hydrogen for fuel-cell? Some power plant has to burn fossil fuel to separate the hydrogen out! Unless we build more nuclear power plants, that doesn't make sense. Of course, building more nuclear power plants does make a lot of sense. Then maybe the hydrogen, although I might prefer just going all-electrical, I dunno.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:11 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vidgamer
But as far as proven technology, I'd go with a hybrid over fuel-cell. Besides, how are you going to get the hydrogen for fuel-cell? Some power plant has to burn fossil fuel to separate the hydrogen out! Unless we build more nuclear power plants, that doesn't make sense. Of course, building more nuclear power plants does make a lot of sense. Then maybe the hydrogen, although I might prefer just going all-electrical, I dunno.
Wish more people knew this! Hydrogen is a joke. Hybrid is really something that is real and is being done. Will there be something better? Of course, but if you kept waiting for things to get better you would never buy anything. The Prius is one of the most advanced cars on the planet. The Civic is really much smaller car although it comes in a stick. Hybirds are proven. How long do they need to be out to consider them reliable? I certainly think they have been out long enough and are proving to be very reliable and cost effective. At some point the price will come down a bit and most all cars will be hybrids of some sort. Once again the Japanese are leading the way, just like in the 70's. Not sure why the US car makers are so stupid?? Duh, hemi, duh H2. Well, Americans are dumb enough to buy that crap. The H2 is the funniest of them all. Horrible off-road performance, terrible fuel economy and has horrible ratings in about everything. The only reason anyone buys such a silly truck is to show-off. Wonder if the drivers know we are laughing at them as they drive by?

Curt
Old 09-26-2005, 03:12 PM
Advanced

mmhmm. Honda and Toyota are waaay ahead of everyone else. Honda's pushing mild hybrid technology and Toyota's pushing full hybrid technology (they do have some mild hybrid vehicles though) so they have both sides of the hybrid equation covered. What GM calls a "hybrid" on their trucks isn't really a hybrid at all. It's just a truck that shuts off its engine when at rest (Volkswagen had that feature ages ago) and the fact that it can power tools off its battery. That's about it. You save 1mpg compared to the regular version. BFD. You can save 1mpg just by cruising lol.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:43 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
I Just want to say...this whole Hybrid thing will be just a fad, and it will die out not soon...but eventually. Eventually cars will be running off of fuel cells, such as water and using the hydrogen to fuel the car. So im staying away from hybrids until proven otherwise...i think you should stick with the TSX...and if ur actually that hung on getting a HYBRID car...then u should wait for other hybrids
You may want to read up on this a little more. Personally, I think fuel cell talk is just the US car makers way of saying to Americans that they don't want us buying hybrids because fuel cells are going to be coming out. You know they are scared because they are so far behind the Japanese once again. Hybrids are a fad? That is too funny. They are the future for now and the Japanese are leading the way once again. If you think fuel cells are in the near future, I suggest you do some real reading and don't listen to the US car makers that are trying to get people not to buy hybrids so they lose even more market share.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:06 AM
Burning Brakes

I read somewhere an opinion that the reason that "they" (including the Pres.) are pushing fuel cells is that it's far enough away that they can ignore the problem. "OH, yeah, we're doing something about it! That fuel-cell thing! It'll be great! Just a while off, but when it gets here, it'll be great!" The thing I don't get is why GM is spending so much money on it. I mean, if they really wanted to catch up to hybrids they could just toss that much money behind that. I have no doubt they could compete. I think that the real reason is that some people probably genuinely think it's a better solution. One engine instead of this more complicated and expensive dual-engine hybrid solution. Or something.

Oh, my coworker says he's getting between 45 and 50 MPG (probably mostly city in FL).
Old 09-27-2005, 07:29 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vidgamer
I read somewhere an opinion that the reason that "they" (including the Pres.) are pushing fuel cells is that it's far enough away that they can ignore the problem. "OH, yeah, we're doing something about it! That fuel-cell thing! It'll be great! Just a while off, but when it gets here, it'll be great!"
I have read that as well. It makes sense. Lets face it, bush is really not interested in anything that would be alternative to oil. His family is all about $$ and oil, that is no secret. I thought about the Prius, and I just am a bit too much of a driver to have that as yet. I almost jumped when I read about this.

http://www.autoemirates.com/Internat...23PriusINT.asp

I am the kind of person that would do up a Prius just like that one in the article. That would be pretty cool.

Curt
Old 09-27-2005, 11:38 AM
I may be fat but I'm slow

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Question: Does the Prius come standard with a "Bush Lied" bumper sticker, or is applied by the dealer at PPD?

Seriously, I would never drive a Prius, if for no other reason than it would lump me in with all the other commie/hippy granola-munching tree-hugging limp wristed wack-jobs around here. The reason the Prius is such a run-away success is because it looks so different from other cars that other people can't HELP but notice that the drive is a smug little save-the-earth liberal fag. This is to say nothing of the markups on those cars, and the down the road battery replacement costs (I heard closer to $8k than 4...). Additionally, I LIKE that the Prius has all that annoying safety shit in it to remind you that your car is in reverse, etc, because since the hippies that drive that thing think I can't do anything for myself without their intervention "protecting me," I'm glad they drive a vehicle that protects them from themselves.

What I WOULD like, though, is a Honda Insight with the hybrid crap ripped out, and, say, the 127hp engine from the Civic, or even better, the 160 from the old Civic Si. With some bigger tires and suspension tweaks, that thing would be a modern CRX, and I bet would still get 38+ mpg.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:56 AM
Registered Schmegistered

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Landspeed Prius Specifications
Engine
· Gasoline Engine 1.5-liter, 4-cylinder, twin-cam, DOHC 16-valve EFI with VVT-i, aluminum-alloy block and head
· Torque 97 lb.-ft. @ 4,200 rpm
· Horsepower 96 hp @ 5,800 rpm
Electric Motor/Generator/Power Storage
· Motor Type Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor
· Electric Motor Power Output 50kW/1,2000 – 1,540 rpm
· Torque 295 lb.-ft. @ 1-1,200 rpm
· Battery type Nickel-metal hydride
· System voltage 550 volts maximum
Suspension
· Front Independent MacPherson strut suspension with stabilizer bar, Eibach Racing coil
springs, Bilstein shock absorbers
· Rear Torsion Beam with stabilizer bar, Eibach Racing coil springs, Bilstein shock absorbers
· Tyres - 25 and 26-inch Goodyear Eagle Landspeed Record tyres
295 lb.-ft. out of the electric motor

and 25 and 26" tires
Old 09-27-2005, 04:48 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HondaGuy347
Seriously, I would never drive a Prius, if for no other reason than it would lump me in with all the other commie/hippy granola-munching tree-hugging limp wristed wack-jobs around here. The reason the Prius is such a run-away success is because it looks so different from other cars that other people can't HELP but notice that the drive is a smug little save-the-earth liberal fag.
I am so glad I don't lump people together like you do. It sounds so silly. So the only reason people drive a Prius is because they are liberal save the earth hippies? Duh, yeah that's it. Whatever. First of all, I live in the 3rd or 4th most polluted city in the US. I ride a bicycle a lot, for fun and exercise. I have concern of the air I breath living here to say the least. I have lots of friends and family that have died from cancer. I thank people that drive a Prius. Every little bit helps. So if you want to lump me in to some commy tree hugger, go ahead. I lost my mother this past year from cancer. I think I have a right to have some concern. You can bury your head in the sand as much as you want, but when it hits home, you can either ignore the problems or you can be a little more proactive.

Curt
Old 09-27-2005, 07:00 PM
Got Ramen?

the prius is a techno crazy car. i was turned off by the styling but my uncle got one and i was impressed. and there are "tuners" who are experimenting with the car. a few ppl have claimed they can get 150 miles PER GALLON after some "ricing" out
Old 09-27-2005, 11:51 PM
B A N N E D

i didnt even read this whole post, but going from a tsx to a prius would be like..idk going from caviar to rat shit.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:08 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 925tsx
i didnt even read this whole post, but going from a tsx to a prius would be like..idk going from caviar to rat shit.
I don't see how rat shit is more advanced than caviar. Please explain.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:14 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by waterrockets
I don't see how rat shit is more advanced than caviar. Please explain.
here ill explain it for you
what would you rather eat
rat shit
or caviar.

simple............................
Old 09-28-2005, 10:01 PM
No-navi, yo

Originally Posted by 925tsx
here ill explain it for you
what would you rather eat
rat shit
or caviar.

simple............................
Old 09-28-2005, 10:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

I own an Honda Civic Hybrid and I love it. I didn't buy it because I'm a tree hugger, quite the opposite. I want to get to from point A to B in shortest amount of time with the least amount of fuel. My commute timewise hasn't change from driving to work in my 94GS-R (sold), or '00 S2000 (also sold) but I can get 50mpg doing it where as in my GS-R I would get half that, same goes with the S2000. But it runs on regular 87 octane versus 93 (91 if you can find it). So the savings from both of those factors is substantial over time.

As for those claiming that you are better off buying a regular civic versus a hybrid, well it's comparing apples and oranges unless you compare it to the top of the line Civic (EX). With the tax CREDIT for 06 and fuel saving over the course of a year (assuming 15000 miles per year, if you drive less than 10K a hybrid isn't the car for you) it adds up big time. Also, each time the price of gas goes up, the more you save in a hybrid. I don't see $2.00 a gallon any time soon.

This past weekend is a case in point on how good a hybrid can be. I did a little over 550 miles on 11 U.S gallons with as many as 5 adults in the car at any given time. The drives consisted of back roads, heavy traffic, highway, you name it. The A/C on the whole time, at any given time I wasn't the slowest nor was I the fastest, I just moved with the majority of traffic but at times was in the fast lanes (maybe a 1/3 of the time). I can't think of another car that can do that for the money I paid (just over 18K).
Old 09-29-2005, 12:40 AM
B A N N E D

obviously the prius is going to get way better mpg. and is more enviornmently friendly.
the car has some nice new technology built into it.
but u cannot compare it to the tsx.
thats just..........wrong.