Price of Audi A4 1.8T vs TSX

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 11:12 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ive never seen a forum for any car were everyone thinks there car is the best ever lol.

I'm a VWVortexer as well, and I can't ever recall a post where a bunch of haters jump on the board and make inflamatory posts like this one. I mean, NO one jumps on bmwboard.com and says "I think the a4 is better all around you should go for it." Conversely, no one goes on Vortex and talks crap about Audi.

What the hell do you expect people to say? Don't you feel a bit out of place with your rhetoric? Damn!
Old 08-20-2003, 11:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by fdl
gilbo...i agree with alot of things you say...and up to now i respected your opinion. But taking sides with the idiot ultra troll adam just dropped you way way way down in my books. :shakehd: :shakehd: :thumbsdn:
i agree with him that there is a higher proportion of fanboys on this site than others. I dont even know other stuff he has posted, i agree with him on that single point.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:08 AM
Racer

Originally posted by Iceman
Exterior styling -- A4 10 TSX 9
Interior styling -- A4 10 TSX 10
Usable back seat -- A4 5 TSX 8
Manual tranny -- A4 7 TSX 10
Engine -- A4 10 TSX 10
Price (comparably equipped) A4 7 TSX 10
Handling A4 8 TSX 10
Reliability A4 5 TSX 10

Total A4 60

TSX 77
There are several things wrong with this. #1 it is purely of course this is all subjective. Exterior styling i would give the tsx a 7. Usable back seat? was that added just to tilt the score a little more? And if manual tranny why not automatic? Isn't the auto in the TSX much better? CVT? Price - The A4 right now, one can the same price as the tsx or below the price of the tsx. Handling the i heard compares very closely to the TSX. Plus from all the articles i read audi is known for its handling.

At the end i think the score will be much closer but the TSX i think will still lead by just a little. I guess it depends on what is important to that individual and make your own comparison.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:45 AM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by gilboman
i agree with him that there is a higher proportion of fanboys on this site than others. I dont even know other stuff he has posted, i agree with him on that single point.
I didn't see anything in your reasoning that wasn't sound. I don't agree with you, but I thought you had good points and I'm not always right.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:46 AM
Cruisin'

I also considered an A4 before I decided on the TSX. I dropped the A4 off my list due to something a dealer told me. I was looking at the A4 and Volvo S60, was out of town, and stopped at a dealer that sold both. I told them I was from out of town and not a serious customer for them. The salesman went on and on about the Volvo. I pointed out that he hadn't said anything about the Audi. His statement was "It's a great car and you'll love it as long as it is under warranty." He went on to explain it is very expensive to get it worked on and they are not the most reliable cars. Adding that to some of the other reliability information out there, I decided I didn't want to deal with the potential problems.

By the way, at that point the A4 was my first choice, I am an Audi fan, and have owned one in the past.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:56 AM
has been here awhile

Originally posted by sponge
I also considered an A4 before I decided on the TSX. I dropped the A4 off my list due to something a dealer told me. I was looking at the A4 and Volvo S60, was out of town, and stopped at a dealer that sold both. I told them I was from out of town and not a serious customer for them. The salesman went on and on about the Volvo. I pointed out that he hadn't said anything about the Audi. His statement was "It's a great car and you'll love it as long as it is under warranty." He went on to explain it is very expensive to get it worked on and they are not the most reliable cars. Adding that to some of the other reliability information out there, I decided I didn't want to deal with the potential problems.

By the way, at that point the A4 was my first choice, I am an Audi fan, and have owned one in the past.
Funny how the guy was going on and on about the Volvo and complained about the Audi's reliability. New Volvos aren't exactly shining stars in the reliability department. My family dumped a year old '99 V70 AWD after it had been in the shop numerous times to fix silly little problems.

Anyway, welcome, sponge!

SPUDMTN
Old 08-21-2003, 01:01 AM
Racer

Originally posted by sponge
Did your previous audi have problems? The funny thing is... won't dealers only know about the problematic cars? I mean you bring the car back because it has problems and the owner will complain about it. As for the ones that work perfectly it would not be brought up to the dealer. Audi is below acura but audi has fixed many things since just year 2000 as well. The current A4 model 03 and 04 should be pretty solid. It is just a bigger risk then the TSX.
Old 08-21-2003, 01:38 AM
10th Gear

It sounds like you are in the exact same situation as I was when I bought my TSX. I had it narrowed down between that and the Audi A4. I test drove both, and it immediately became apparent to me that the Tsx would be a much better car, at least for me. Aesthetically, the TSX is a much nicer vehicle than the Audi, especially if you want a sportier-looking car. The interior of the Audi was very dissapointing as well. It was fairly simple, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it really had no features and was not reflective of its price tag. I also found that the Audi was not as "peppy" as the TSX, and I didn't feel it was very powerful. Also, like one of the other members posted above, many different people have said that Audi's are not reliable at all. Of course my comments are obviously biased, but the TSX will definitely not dissapoint you!! Good luck with the car shopping!
Old 08-21-2003, 02:14 AM

Manual tranny -- A4 7 TSX 7
Engine -- A4 7 TSX 6
Price (comparably equipped) A4 7 TSX 8
Handling A4 20 TSX 7
Reliability A4 5 TSX 10
Old 08-21-2003, 02:22 AM
More On

Originally posted by lushious000
It sounds like you are in the exact same situation as I was when I bought my TSX. I had it narrowed down between that and the Audi A4. I test drove both, and it immediately became apparent to me that the Tsx would be a much better car, at least for me......Of course my comments are obviously biased, but the TSX will definitely not dissapoint you!! Good luck with the car shopping!
Welcome, lush! It doesn't sound much to me like you're biased -- sounds more like you compared, and you found all the differences going in one direction.

Even a lot of the people on here give the edge to the Audi in some areas, but obviously most of us would tend to agree with you overall.

I personally think you made a great decision -- but of course I'm biased!
Old 08-21-2003, 02:22 AM
Racer

Originally posted by adam fiooz
Manual tranny -- A4 7 TSX 7
Engine -- A4 7 TSX 6
Price (comparably equipped) A4 7 TSX 8
Handling A4 20 TSX 7
Reliability A4 5 TSX 10
LOL
Old 08-21-2003, 02:33 AM

Sorry but you cant compare an acura to an audi. a company that brings out amazing cars like the a8 s4 and the amazing s6.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:40 AM
Not an Ashtray

Originally posted by larchmont
Welcome, lush! It doesn't sound much to me like you're biased -- sounds more like you compared, and you found all the differences going in one direction.

Even a lot of the people on here give the edge to the Audi in some areas, but obviously most of us would tend to agree with you overall.

I personally think you made a great decision -- but of course I'm biased!
I'm sorry, I'm with Adam on this one. Tommorow, I'm going to sell my TSX and buy a Honda Accord. I like cars that look a camel with wheels and the rear end of the TSX is just to damn sleek for my tastes.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by darth62
I'm sorry, I'm with Adam on this one. Tommorow, I'm going to sell my TSX and buy a Honda Accord. I like cars that look a camel with wheels and the rear end of the TSX is just to damn sleek for my tastes.
atleast you're trading in a car with no distinctive styling and bland that it can be mistaken for pretty much any car on the road for one that can not be mistaken for anything else other than an accord
Old 08-21-2003, 10:15 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"with no distinctive styling and bland that it can be mistaken for pretty much any car on the road " Not by me. Not be people on this board. Not by a lot of other people (though they may not know what it is).

Another line of crap. It's all so subjective - my fiancee knows nothing about cars and could care less about them as long as they go from A to B. She can't tell a Honda Accord from a BMW - this goes for a lot of other people, too, in my experience. Only SOME people care enough about cars to be able to recognize different models, let alone years of a same model; the general level of difference is: sedan, convertible, truck, minivan, hatchback, etc.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:07 AM
Not an Ashtray

atleast you're trading in a car with no distinctive styling and bland that it can be mistaken for pretty much any car on the road for one that can not be mistaken for anything else other than an accord
I love the way the TSX looks, and get admiring comments whereever I go. Most people don't seem to share your opinion.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:09 AM
More On

Originally posted by vitocorleone
"with no distinctive styling and bland that it can be mistaken for pretty much any car on the road " Not by me. Not be people on this board. Not by a lot of other people (though they may not know what it is).

Another line of crap. It's all so subjective....
This is funny, Vito, because I think gilbo was doing kind of what you were doing the other day with that post where some people didn't get that you were kidding. But I don't know, maybe you're right -- I mean, I must admit it's hard to imagine gilbo actually sort of being on our side!

I think he was sort of kidding, a slight bit anyway.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by larchmont
This is funny, Vito, because I think gilbo was doing kind of what you were doing the other day with that post where some people didn't get that you were kidding. But I don't know, maybe you're right -- I mean, I must admit it's hard to imagine gilbo actually sort of being on our side!

I think he was sort of kidding, a slight bit anyway.
somewhat kidding but its actually to point out that all the car mags have liked the TSX handles and value..but all have called it bland
Old 08-21-2003, 11:38 AM
Not an Ashtray

Completely true, I just don't agree that he TSX is bland. I think it is derivative, but not bland.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:09 PM
Racer

It would be so great if gilbo and adam hooked up and spawned little tiny trolls that typed with their knuckles.

They could sit around in the evenings and spew on each other instead of on this forum.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:39 PM
Racer

I agree that the TSX might be quite bland... however i still wouldn't trade it in for a distasteful accord
Old 08-21-2003, 02:46 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Such a lovely thread...and no body even asked for my .02 on this topic since I work for both Audi and Acura. Oh well I guess i will just have to keep the comments to myself

The TSX is not bland...funny thing is the G35 sedan is already starting to look old to me.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by justinjsw
Such a lovely thread...and no body even asked for my .02 on this topic since I work for both Audi and Acura. Oh well I guess i will just have to keep the comments to myself

The TSX is not bland...funny thing is the G35 sedan is already starting to look old to me.
the G35 sedan is ugly IMO..but it has guts and performance that outweight its ho hum exterior and somewhat low quality interior...a dab on the throttle and a lot can be forgiven about its looks....the G35 coupe is gorgeous though
Old 08-21-2003, 03:22 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
the G35 sedan is ugly IMO..but it has guts and performance that outweight its ho hum exterior and somewhat low quality interior...a dab on the throttle and a lot can be forgiven about its looks....the G35 coupe is gorgeous though
I guess the same can't be said about your 325xi...I mean ho hum exterior...a dab on the throttle and a lot can be forgiven part...
Old 08-21-2003, 08:08 PM
Banned

Originally posted by finalheaven
There are several things wrong with this. #1 it is purely of course this is all subjective. Exterior styling i would give the tsx a 7. Usable back seat? was that added just to tilt the score a little more? And if manual tranny why not automatic? Isn't the auto in the TSX much better? CVT? Price - The A4 right now, one can the same price as the tsx or below the price of the tsx. Handling the i heard compares very closely to the TSX. Plus from all the articles i read audi is known for its handling.

At the end i think the score will be much closer but the TSX i think will still lead by just a little. I guess it depends on what is important to that individual and make your own comparison.
Re back seat: My sons are 6 feet tall. This is a big deal to me.
Re manual tranny: No slushbox for me! Make up your own criteria.
Re price: spare me the lies. You cannot get a comparably equipped A4 for $26990.
Re handling: Try driving one. A4's steering is heavy. A4 steering with 3.0 is REALLY heavy.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:18 PM
Pro

Yeah - I hadn't had my morning espresso yet and so was in a bit of a pissy mood this morning when i posted that. However, having read a fair amount of gilbo's posts, I knew there was at least a large kernel of seriousness in there as well. :-) I apologize for the "crap" comment, but my other point I'm sticking with.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:25 PM
More On

Originally posted by vitocorleone
Yeah - I hadn't had my morning espresso yet.....
.......but after he has his espresso, Vito becomes........THE GREAT CORNHOLIO!!!

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/H...cornholio.html
Old 08-21-2003, 09:12 PM
Racer

Re back seat: My sons are 6 feet tall. This is a big deal to me.
Re manual tranny: No slushbox for me! Make up your own criteria.
Re price: spare me the lies. You cannot get a comparably equipped A4 for $26990.
Re handling: Try driving one. A4's steering is heavy. A4 steering with 3.0 is REALLY heavy.
The MRSP for the audi 1.8 is $25,250. And that's MRSP. And this is LA. One can prolly go down a lot add the premium, lights, bose sound (better then the TSX) and it might come damn close to the price. You are right now i guess it all depends on each individual. To each his own.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:48 PM

lol The accord has a sporty front end and a benzos behinde.its an amazing looking car unlike that box on weels aka the tsx.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:50 PM

"distasteful accord".....lol
Old 08-21-2003, 09:51 PM
Not an Ashtray

Troll.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:00 PM
has been here awhile

lol The accord has a sporty front end and a benzos behinde.its an amazing looking car unlike that box on weels aka the tsx.
Again, why are you here if you want to rip apart the TSX? I thought this was a TSX enthusiast forum Besides that, it's a Honda product...you feelin a sibling rivalry or something?

At the same time...it's your opinion...so whatever...post what you want.

SPUDMTN
Old 08-21-2003, 10:04 PM
More On

Originally posted by SPUDMTN
Again, why are you here if you want to rip apart the TSX? I thought this was a TSX enthusiast forum Besides that, it's a Honda product...you feelin a sibling rivalry or something?.....
Hey Spud -- Did you take some psychology classes or something?

But I think the kid might be onto something.

(Not that there's anything wrong with it, floozy!)
Old 08-21-2003, 10:10 PM
Racer

"distasteful accord".....lol
It is. The accord is a mass market car trying to please everyone it can. And it does a damn good job. As for the looks it is distasteful but that is subjective.

Accept that the Honda made Acura to be the higher in just about everything including quality, looks, feel, handling and etc. But that of course comes with higher fees. However Honda made the TSX to be better then the accord. At least the 4 cylinder one. Can they make the accord better? of course they can. But they made the TSX better then it in purpose. (so they can charge more)
Old 08-21-2003, 10:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by justinjsw
I guess the same can't be said about your 325xi...I mean ho hum exterior...a dab on the throttle and a lot can be forgiven part...
330xi a dab on a 325 throttle would do more than a dab on a TSX throttle though...
Old 08-21-2003, 11:23 PM
Banned

The MRSP for the audi 1.8 is $25,250. And that's MRSP. And this is LA. One can prolly go down a lot add the premium, lights, bose sound (better then the TSX) and it might come damn close to the price. You are right now i guess it all depends on each individual. To each his own.
OK OK. I called you a liar, I have to back it up. From the Audiusa.com web site:

$25,100 Audi 1.8T
450 Denim Blue Pearl paint
2000 Leather trimmed interior
625 Cold weather pkg
1000 Sport pkg
500 Xenon headlights
650 Bose premium sound system
750 17" wheels
----------
$31.085

This is $4k more than the TSX, which is not as big a difference as I expected. I agree that it would not be hard to beat the TSX's sound system, despite its power rating and number of speakers. I really love the TSX's in-dash 6-CD changer though.

Moral of the story: German cars are priced a la carte, whereas Acuras are priced fully equipped.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:24 PM
Cruisin'

Did your previous audi have problems? The funny thing is... won't dealers only know about the problematic cars? I mean you bring the car back because it has problems and the owner will complain about it. As for the ones that work perfectly it would not be brought up to the dealer. Audi is below acura but audi has fixed many things since just year 2000 as well. The current A4 model 03 and 04 should be pretty solid. It is just a bigger risk then the TSX.
I think you make a good point about the dealer seeing the problem cars, I'm not saying his comments were by any means scientific, but they did influence me. I loved my Audi, but yes, it did have problems. I reluctantly got rid of it because they became such a headache.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:04 AM
Racer

This is $4k more than the TSX, which is not as big a difference as I expected. I agree that it would not be hard to beat the TSX's sound system, despite its power rating and number of speakers. I really love the TSX's in-dash 6-CD changer though.

Moral of the story: German cars are priced a la carte, whereas Acuras are priced fully equipped.
Heh... case in point the TSX sells for about at mrsp at the moment. Where in the case of Audi they sell for A LOT less. I will be getting 3000$ off MRSP if i choose to go with the benz. As for the audi? i personally do not know but the last time i checked up on it they were offering GREAT deals on them. At the end the audi with your 5k+ options will be more better equipped then the TSX and cost probably just a 1-2k more. The threads asking why the TSX left out a bunch of little stuff? The audi will have them all. Even though you did choose outrageous amounts of options, they are very competitive.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:11 AM
4th Gear

Question

I must be missing something because Audi 1.8T FWD in Canada (even fully equipped) as compared to the TSX does not have:
1. Xenon lights
2. 17" wheels
3. Premium stereo with 6 disc CD changer
4. Homelink system
And despite this, a fully-loaded A4 1.8T FWD configuration comes up as $37,000CAD.

The current discounts for the TSX are about $2000 off the MSRP of $34,800. For an A4 to match (not beat) that price, it would have to be discounted by $4200!

Am I doing the math incorrectly?
Old 08-22-2003, 02:33 AM
Racer

Originally posted by j_love_hewitt
I must be missing something because Audi 1.8T FWD in Canada (even fully equipped) as compared to the TSX does not have:
1. Xenon lights
2. 17" wheels
3. Premium stereo with 6 disc CD changer
4. Homelink system
And despite this, a fully-loaded A4 1.8T FWD configuration comes up as $37,000CAD.

The current discounts for the TSX are about $2000 off the MSRP of $34,800. For an A4 to match (not beat) that price, it would have to be discounted by $4200!

Am I doing the math incorrectly?
No you just live in canada which sucks for you. In the USA there are xenon lights and 17 wheels and Bose upgrades. (not sure about homelink) And i do not know how they sell in canada but in the US the TSX sells very well at the moment and goes for mrsp. As for the 1.8t it goes more much less.

Quick Reply: Price of Audi A4 1.8T vs TSX