Possible TSX Convert

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 08:24 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Possible TSX Convert

Hey everyone! I own a 2000 Acura TL and I'm thinking of purchasing a TSX as a replacement. The TL is great but I am sort of worried about the tranny issue as I am approaching 80000 miles. I test drove a TSX while I was in college (when it very first came out) and loved its snappy feel and taut handling. I also miss driving stick and I remember the TSX for its buttery 6 speed (yum).

My question is about performance. I love quick cars- really quick cars. I have heard that Comptech is going to be back in the ring here in the next few weeks or so, which is great because I am looking at doing the Comptech Supercharger thang ASAP. My question is, is there a certain year I should look for in terms of build-ability in the engine? One that is better than the others? I do not want to get a band spanking new one, simply because the money I save can go toward a S/C and other mods.

My friend has a pretty much stock 2005 TL A-Spec and hes puttin up a little money that I cannot build a TSX thats faster than his T by the end of the summer. I would like to just blow by him and tell him to keep his cash to make his TL quicker haha As far as the supercharger I would like to intercool it if possible- is there one availible that will work? Will one fit? If not, I can build one in if necessary. I've done some searches but haven't found the info i was quite looking for.

Also, and other mods to make some horses here and there besides the basics bolt-ons and the reflash??

Hopefully I can begin posting here regularly soon! thanks everyone!
Old 05-17-2007, 11:39 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can get an 04/05 TSX, but you might want to get the 06 because the engine was already given a little more power from the factory so the SC will give you larger peak numbers.

There is no intercooler kit for the TSX SC kit from Comptech. There is a company called Red Shift working on a SC with Twinscrew blower and intercooler if you want to go that route. There is no ETA on that kit as of right now. The big thing holding everyone back in the TSX world is User programmable engine management. The rumor is that is also being developed, but no one is sure if/when we will see it.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:44 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Tsx536
You can get an 04/05 TSX, but you might want to get the 06 because the engine was already given a little more power from the factory so the SC will give you larger peak numbers.
+1
Old 05-18-2007, 07:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Kenny pretty much nailed it on the head for you. Engine management is the problem. I think the most HP anyone got out of basic bolt ons was JTso (forget if he had the reflash though or not) and that was i believe 204 to the wheels. Without a supercharger and maybe even with the supercharger, i don't know if you'll be able to catch your friend in the TL. But honestly, i have driven both and the driving "experience" is more fun in the TSX. Don't get me wrong but that TL is a damn nice car but its not as much fun to drive.

I upgraded from an 04 TSX up to an 06 and i wrote a review a months back talking about how there is def a power difference. I would der try and get at least an 06 because there really is a difference. A stock 06 has about the same power as a reflashed 04 (see hondata webstie for proof) and you can feel it!
Old 05-18-2007, 11:09 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,515 Likes on 1,182 Posts
If your buddy has a 5AT TL and your TSX is a 06 6MT with I/H/E + S/C, you can beat his car with no problems and get better overall gas mileage. It will be a close race if he has a TL 6MT with/without I/H/E.

You really have to love the TSX like we do if you going to spend that kind of money ($5,000-$7,500 in parts and labor for 30-45 extra WHP & WTQ). For that kind of money, you can buy a 04/05 TL and spend just a little more to get the car to handle close to a TSX w/ A-spec.

Make it a road course on a local track and show off the total package of the TSX.