is possible to ADD NAVI to my NON-NAVI TSX

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 05:57 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking is possible to ADD NAVI to my NON-NAVI TSX

I was wondering if it was possible to get my dealer or any dealer to do it ... it would probably be like 2 Gs ... after I rode in my friend's NEW 2004 M3 in MIAMI ...I have to say that thing comes in handy ...
Old 01-03-2004, 06:09 PM
Eat my shorts!!

i believe it will cost more. 2 g's plus labor. IMO, its not worth it. if u want one, just sell the car, buy a new one with navi.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:12 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: is possible to ADD NAVI to my NON-NAVI TSX

Originally posted by Delmiroc
I was wondering if it was possible to get my dealer or any dealer to do it ... it would probably be like 2 Gs ... after I rode in my friend's NEW 2004 M3 in MIAMI ...I have to say that thing comes in handy ...
Well if you were to buy the parts and install it yourself it looks like it would be like $4800 and some change: Navi parts

Probably cheaper just to sell your car and buy one with navi. Or buy an IQue or a new StreetPilot 2610/2650 for a lot less money. I got my IQue off ebay for about $400 and another $75 for the car kit. The StreetPilot lists for $1166 for the 2610 and $1399 + installation for the 2650.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:14 PM
Photography Nerd

Actually I just checked ebay and the 2610 can be had for $769.95: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=34289
Old 01-03-2004, 06:17 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another alternative: Just find a dealer who sells Alpine aftermarket nav systems. That would be nearly identical (probably without the voice operated controls) and cost you a bit less than $2000. Alpine, as you may know, provides the OEM nav system.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:58 PM
Racer

Re: Re: is possible to ADD NAVI to my NON-NAVI TSX

Originally posted by Dan Martin
Well if you were to buy the parts and install it yourself it looks like it would be like $4800 and some change: Navi parts

Probably cheaper just to sell your car and buy one with navi. Or buy an IQue or a new StreetPilot 2610/2650 for a lot less money. I got my IQue off ebay for about $400 and another $75 for the car kit. The StreetPilot lists for $1166 for the 2610 and $1399 + installation for the 2650.
HOLLY SHIT that is CRAZY damm I never though it would so expensive

I guess I AM going to stick with my NO NAVI TSX ..... still same car right ?
Old 01-03-2004, 09:53 PM
CDR
Instructor

I recently bought a Garmin iQue for my spouse to use in her car, and it's excellent. On my TSX I did not want the nav; I didn't like the controls nearly as well as the non-nav and expect the nav systems to improve greatly long before I give up the TSX.

The iQue is a Palm OS PDA, so it's very easy to enter street addresses and do other actions with a stylus. The map and points of interest database is updated at least annually, and it's probably the same underlying data as the Acura/Alpine nav system (NavTech). Because it's relatively inexpensive (around $600 total after all the accessories and extra memory), I can choose to replace it completely after a few years. And the portability means we can use it in two cars, or anywhere else.

Compared to the Acura nav, the screen is smaller and there is no voice input, only voice output. But I'm happy with the tradeoff.

After a couple of weeks with the iQue nav, I better understand why many people on this forum really like having the nav. The maps and navigation aren't important to me in my area -- but the built in "yellow pages" is very handy.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:07 PM
Pro

Re: Re: is possible to ADD NAVI to my NON-NAVI TSX

Originally posted by Dan Martin
I got my IQue off ebay for about $400 and another $75 for the car kit.
Hey Dan, how is the street level routing and voice prompting in TO with the IQue? Are you using the beanbag / audio mount? How does the screen compare to the latest Palms (T3, T|E)?

I have an Etrex Legend, but it doesn't have routing or voice and the mono screen is a bit hard to read while driving. I was thinking of replacing both the Etrex and my M505 with an IQue.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:53 PM
Photography Nerd

Re: Re: Re: is possible to ADD NAVI to my NON-NAVI TSX

Originally posted by kiteboy
Hey Dan, how is the street level routing and voice prompting in TO with the IQue? Are you using the beanbag / audio mount? How does the screen compare to the latest Palms (T3, T|E)?

I have an Etrex Legend, but it doesn't have routing or voice and the mono screen is a bit hard to read while driving. I was thinking of replacing both the Etrex and my M505 with an IQue.
The voice prompting has been excellent anywhere I've gone with it. I'm always horible navigating downtown TO and the IQue has come in handy more than a couple of times. The coolest thing is that you can take it out of the car when you park and you can still navigate while you're on foot. I'm using the beanbag mount while i'm in the car. I've mounted it in the little dip in between the clock and the instrument cluster. The beanbag also has a built in speaker so the turn by turn instructions are much louder and clearer.

The screen is similar to the T3 and much bigger than the TE. It has the same virtual graphiti area that the T3 does which is kind of nice. I like how it highlights the path that the stylus takes as you are writing in the graphiti area. It's like you're using a pen on paper. Overall I would give the IQue a 9.5/10. It would get a perfect 10 if it had the 400mhz X-Scale processor. If you zoom out to a point where you can see a whole province/state at once the system can get a little slow. Generally this isn't a problem because when you're actually driving you'll probably be looking at only a couple KM at a time.
Old 01-04-2004, 02:07 AM
CDR
Instructor

Re: Re: Re: is possible to ADD NAVI to my NON-NAVI TSX

Originally posted by kiteboy
In my opinion, the iQue blows away the Etrex and StreetPilot for auto nav -- beautiful, bright, larger high res screen (480x320), fast (routes in 2-3 seconds, re-calculates routes in 1 sec), and better input with the stylus. It's surprisingly smart in voice output navigation, and the points of interest lookup is very handy.

Also in my opinion - it's a compromise as a PDA. Battery life is poor with the GPS and backlight turned on, around 2-3 hours. Haven't checked with PDA-only use and low backlight, but I'm sure it's several times worse than the M505. You'd need to plan on charging frequently. The usual caveats on usage patterns apply...

An active user forum for the iQue is at pdastreet.com, http://www.pdastreet.com/forums/foru...s=&forumid=108. As with many forums (including acura-tsx), there's lots of discussion of problems along with happy owners. But you'll go in with your eyes open!
Old 01-04-2004, 02:45 AM
Photography Nerd

Re: Re: Re: Re: is possible to ADD NAVI to my NON-NAVI TSX

Originally posted by CDR
An active user forum for the iQue is at pdastreet.com, http://www.pdastreet.com/forums/foru...s=&forumid=108. As with many forums (including acura-tsx), there's lots of discussion of problems along with happy owners. But you'll go in with your eyes open!
Yes I've had a number of static induced soft resets (and only 1 hard reset) that they are complaining about. It seems that the newer software fixes the hard reset issue but I still get the soft reset from time to time when I'm taking it out of the cradle. No biggy, I just have to reboot. Hopefully they'll resolve this issue once and for all with an actual hardware fix.