Picking Up My CPO Acura TSX today.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picking Up My CPO Acura TSX today.

Looks like I'll be joining the Ranks of TSX owner soon. After getting them for loaners I've decided to pick one up. Last week while bringing my 1999 Acura TL for service I looked around and Saw a 2004 Acura TSX with 70k miles for $13,000. I asked for a wash on the TL so I thought I'd give it a test drive. I liked it, alot. After some serious thinking I've decided to trade in the TL and pick up the TSX today. It's a barebones TSX btw, no navi, no memory seats, not even XM radio. But I like black leather, and the TL has gone through 3 transmissions, has a tear in the drivers seat and a ding on the side. I figured the exhaust and CV Joints will need replacments soon, and the 4 cylinder will save some $$$ gas. Good price? No horror stories with transmissions right?

Just in case anyone was wondering....CPO=Certified Pre Owned...Sure I'll only get 30,000 miles and 2 or 3 years out of it, but thats plenty of time to save up for an RDX (another loaner I loved...and I hate SUVs)

Last edited by Type RC; 12-29-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Intermediate

Is your an AT? I can tell you that the manual is a mechanical work of precision. There are few reviewers of this car that don't sing its praises and although I have never driven an auto TSX, most who have it seem happy... particularly with the Sportshift feature.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Advanced

5 speed Automatic. And I love standard...My 94 Civic was a stick and it was a hoot to drive. But I just need a nice reliable car that suits my need for a dose of luxury and sportiness. The TSX a great blend.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Intermediate

Do a search in the problems and fixes thread. That's where I learned about the clutch master cylinder problem for the manual tranny. My clutch is beginning to squeak and I may be facing the same issue, which is known to Acura and is warranty covered. As for the AT's, I can't say I've noticed any major complaints... then again, I haven't really searched for any auto tranny issues.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I personally haven't heard of any tranny issues with the TSX, thank God. I also have an 04. In 05 and 06 they added a few more features like XM, heated mirrors, bluetooth, etc. Sometimes I wish I had some of these things, but I like my 04, she's been good to me. Going in for an oil change and new battery tomorrow. I picked my CPO up in May 2005 and it's been a very good car. I think you'll be happy with it.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:33 PM
-Nick-

04s have the most problems off all the years, but it is hit and miss. Some have problems, others are perfect. It's like a gamble =p
Old 12-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Advanced

Well, I got it, and I love the car! No buyers remorse! I'll have to check back after about a week, but its so smooth. Some downers from going from the TL:

Passenger Seat is not powered
Side Mirrors don't have heat
The Speakers aren't as good as the TLs
No Tape Deck (I used it on the TL for my iPhone/Zune)
Back seat is a bit tighter
Cup holder in a less natural position (compared to my old TL)
Passenger side doesn't have a key hole!?!?!?!?

Things that are MUCH better on the TSX

The Leather seems better, I believe the TSX uses full real leather, as opposed to the 2nd Gen TL's use of leather and pleather.
The Transmission, OMG the Transmission. It's about 1,000 times smoother then the TL's and from what I researched no Transmission nightmare stories either.
The Cabin lighting is very tastefull and the blue is really nice.
The Extra Cubby is very usefull, smaller then my Buddy's 03 Accord, but very nice.
The Car seems to have a higher Quality to it.
The handling is a-freaking-mazing, it hugs the road. It more mannered then my 94 Civic, and not as floaty and boatlike as my 99TL. It truly is a well balanced ride.
The Steering wheel controls aren't screwed up (on the TL when I pressed volume up is skipped tracks/Fast Forwarded the tape)
The Engine is very smooth and the nicest 4 Cylinder I've driven.
The styling is sharp with out being gawky, I like it a lot.
The Cupholders are MUCH better too, I had to get an 03 TL cupholder for my 99TL to make it useable.
The Tip-Tronic is a ton smoother then the TL's
I don't have to jab on the "open cup holder button" 3 times to open the cup holder.
The headlights seem to pierce the darkness, as opposed to just shushing it away.
The car seems to carry the persona of "Young Professional".
The Seats are better molded, so they are very comfy.

Mind you I'm comparing it to the 2nd Gen TL I had. The 3rd and 4th Gen TLs are absolutely beautiful and scarily powerful.

Glad I went with this. Other cars I considered was a 2006 2 Door Civic and a 2005 Mazda 6. I think I made the right choice.

Small issues.

They didn't have a Key Fob with the car, and my salesman said that he ordered two for me and will call me when they come in.

The Passenger "night light" bulb needs to be replaced, any one know a "how to" for that?
Old 12-30-2008, 07:00 AM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Congrats! Glad you're happy with your purchase!

Just as an FYI, some of the things you're not happy with were added in later years. I believe it was 06 when they added the heated mirrors and power passenger seat, as well as a few other features. Bluetooth, memory seats, MID to name a few. Nothing that's going to radically change your driving experience, but little comforts.

There was a thread floating around here about the leather. Seems that the surfaces that you make contact with are real leather, and ones that you don't (sides of the seats, etc) are pleather. Look for the "poke test" thread. There's some great info in there.

Many of the points on that list are what drew me to the TSX. I had looked at Volvo (which I loved, but would have been a lot more expensive) the Mercedes C230 Sport, Mazda 6, Chevy Impalla SS, and a few others. The SS would have been awesome, but when I bought gas was already over $3 a gallon and still rising so a V8 was pretty much out of the question. The TSX really delivers. Great bang for the buck. And I have to agree that its one of the better looking cars on the road.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:39 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
on your purchase. I imagine you'll find it a fun car, and a bit more affordable to maintain (coming from a TL with the transmission gremlin).

Now for a minor concern.... I'm not sure that Acura offers CPOs > 2 years old, with as much as 70,000 miles. I have a hunch that, if you're buying from an Acura dealer, that you're getting a used car, maybe they did a thorough inspection but may NOT have replaced any components as per the CPO program.

The Factory warranty on the 2004 was 4 years/50,000 miles from first date of service, right? I believe if the factory warranty has expired (as in this case), a CPO warranty is only good for 12 months/12,000 miles from the CPO buyer purchase date.

http://www.acura.com/content/PreOwne...edVehicles.pdf

So ... if you got a CPO with 70,000 miles, and they did indeed replace any needed components, you probably got a good deal. (You should not have to replace any bulbs or fix minor issues. CPO is supposed to be "like new" condition, ask the dealer to "make it so.") I'd have to pull a Consumer Reports or other third party price report to be sure on the $ amount. But ... I suggest a thorough review of your sale and warranty information. You could not have received the AcuraCare extended warranty, so you must've been given the dealer's extended warranty contract.

Sorry to rain on your party, but we periodically hear of dealers doing shady things (like charging for "Acura premium nitrogen" in the tires as a new car dealer prep extra).
Old 12-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Advanced

Well, the dealership is pretty solid. They swapped the tranny on my TL at no charge, and that was when I had 107,000 miles on it and last year so the CPO warranty expired. Then they fixed the AC at no cost on the TL when only my powertrain was coverd. So a pretty solid dealership. Maybe other dealerships are different, but cars purchased at Executive Honda or Executive Acura come with a warranty of 7 years 100,000 miles from the date the car was in service. So, basically I got 2 years and 30,000 miles left, which is fine by me as that's almost as good as if I bought a new Nissan or Mazda. My TL I got in 2003 had 76,000 miles when I got it, and I got my mom to get her MDX there and had a buddy of mine pick up his 03 Accord at the sister dealership (Executive Honda)...Maybe they like me?
Old 12-30-2008, 11:42 AM

BTW, I was referring to non-powertrain warranties, aka "bumper to bumper."
Old 12-30-2008, 01:55 PM
for EVER more!

Originally Posted by JB08
Do a search in the problems and fixes thread. That's where I learned about the clutch master cylinder problem for the manual tranny. My clutch is beginning to squeak and I may be facing the same issue, which is known to Acura and is warranty covered. As for the AT's, I can't say I've noticed any major complaints... then again, I haven't really searched for any auto tranny issues.
AH HA! Another MT master cylinder buddy! Hope your dealer knows how to bleed the lines.... :-)
Old 12-30-2008, 08:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Hope you like it. It's a lot of fun!
Old 01-01-2009, 12:22 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Type RC
...Sure I'll only get 30,000 miles and 2 or 3 years out of it,...
Any TSX ought to be good for at least 140,000 miles. So, at 70k currently, you ought to be able to expect at least another 70k. The 2004 model year seems to have more problems than the following years, but keep the oil changes, and other routine maintenance current, and with a little luck you ought to see at least another 70k miles.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Instructor

Congrats on the purchase , you will enjoy it alot. Better then the civic. As for the Mazda 6, i can comment. I own a '05 Mazda 6 GT V6 also, i would say it is comparable (TSX is a little nicer interior and has Navi), except the V6 has more power in the low end and just as tight in cornering and body roll. But i know my TSX can keep up with the 6 off the line (don't tell my wife me and my buddies take them both out and race the 2).
Old 01-03-2009, 10:04 AM

Your secret is safe with us ... for a price.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Type RC
No Tape Deck (I used it on the TL for my iPhone/Zune)
The Passenger "night light" bulb needs to be replaced, any one know a "how to" for that?
For an aux input, here's what i'm putting in mine as soon as the warranty is up:
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soundhonaux4.html

Plus, they have applications that can control your ipod or zune with the current controls on your stereo.

Umm...what do you mean "passenger night light" bulb?

Originally Posted by litesout
Congrats! Glad you're happy with your purchase!

Just as an FYI, some of the things you're not happy with were added in later years. I believe it was 06 when they added the heated mirrors and power passenger seat, as well as a few other features. Bluetooth, memory seats, MID to name a few.
05 included the heated mirrors, power passenger seat, and lighted steering wheel controls, but apparently Acura decided to hold out until '06 for the bluetooth and memory seats. I hate climbing into my TSX after some has driven it and it's got the seats all screwed up.