PIAA Super Silicon Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 09:20 PM
ABP TSX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PIAA Super Silicon Wipers

Has anyone installed these PIAA wipers yet? My wipers seem to chatter and streak pretty bad right off the lot.

Thanks for any replies.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:25 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: PIAA Super Silicon Wipers

Originally posted by gsclifton
Has anyone installed these PIAA wipers yet? My wipers seem to chatter and streak pretty bad right off the lot.

Thanks for any replies.
I bought them and I was really impressed with them for the first month but they deteriorated rapidly to the point where they were worse than the worn out blades they replaced. Now I just buy the replacement inserts from my dealer. They're like $6CDN for both and they work great. I think you probably just got unlucky with your first set because I've never had a problem with the OEM blades.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:48 PM
Pro

Hey Dan - how often are you changing your wiper inserts? I got about a year's service out of the OEM inserts in my Civic.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Try switching to rain-x windshield wiper fluid. The OEM blades should be good enough.

Also, If you switched to PIAA, I hope you kept the same wiper and just replaced the blade. The OEM wiper is designed for your car while the PIAA is generic so you will never get the right amount of pressure.

Anyway, I hope you kept the OEM wiper somewhere.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:07 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by kiteboy
Hey Dan - how often are you changing your wiper inserts? I got about a year's service out of the OEM inserts in my Civic.
I just put winter wipers on the TSX but I usually replace the inserts after 6 months or so on my other cars.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:34 AM
ABP TSX

Thanks for the replies. I am an avid user of Rain-X, but I have not had the chance to apply on the TSX.

The wiper just were horrible in the rain over the weekend.

I could not see $50 worth of benefit on the PIAA models, especially after the post saying they do not last long. On all previous Honda/Acura's that I have owned, I changed the refills 2-3x a year.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

no no no... don't apply rain-x solution for windshields... i think that stuff is crap. On the other hand, I think their windshield wiper fluid is the best. That is what I'm talking about... it comes in pink during the summer month and orange during the winter months.

2 to 3 times a year? I have had the same blades on my hybrid for over a year now and they wipe like they did new.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:08 AM
The Voice of Reason

Re: PIAA Super Silicon Wipers

Originally posted by gsclifton
My wipers seem to chatter and streak pretty bad right off the lot.

So did mine. So I cleaned the rubber blade edges with a paper towel with some isopropyl alcohol. Just a 1/2 dollar size spot of alcohol on the towel and pinched between thumb and index finger and rubbed along the contact edge. They've been fine since. Maybe it's that stuff they spray on the cars to prevent rust when they're on the boat for the voyage across the Pacific.

I also use Rain-X and I have for years and years.

I found I rarely need to put wipers on any setting but intermittent, They will chatter on full speed on the Rain-X treated windshield. I also use the Rain-X wiper fluid. And the anti-fog stuff. No, I don't own any stock in Rain-X but that's a good idea!

I've also found that replacing the entire wiper blade rather than just the rubber insert works best on Hondas. It's pricey from the local dealer but much bettter from one of the Honda parts discounters.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:15 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,421 Posts
Re: Re: PIAA Super Silicon Wipers

Originally posted by bob shiftright
So did mine. So I cleaned the rubber blade edges with a paper towel with some isopropyl alcohol. Just a 1/2 dollar size spot of alcohol on the towel and pinched between thumb and index finger and rubbed along the contact edge. They've been fine since. Maybe it's that stuff they spray on the cars to prevent rust when they're on the boat for the voyage across the Pacific.

I also use Rain-X and I have for years and years.

I found I rarely need to put wipers on any setting but intermittent, They will chatter on full speed on the Rain-X treated windshield. I also use the Rain-X wiper fluid. And the anti-fog stuff. No, I don't own any stock in Rain-X but that's a good idea!

exactly what I do...
Old 12-17-2003, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have the orange rain-x washer fluid! for $2 it's def a better option for clear windows than piaa wipers
Old 12-17-2003, 12:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

I found the rain-x solution (not wiper fluid) not that great and causes streaking problems.

I use Invisible Glass to clean the windows and rain-x winshield wiper fluid. This combination seems to work real nice. In fact I don't even have to turn on my wipers until several storms have gone by. In the summer time I can go forever without turning on the wipers and I don't treat them with rain-x solution. You will be amazed at how well a clean windshield well deflect water on it's own. Again... Invisible Glass with B&W newspaper to clean and that's it.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:41 PM
Kickstand

I use rain-x on ALL my windows...front, rear, sides, mirrors. Its easy to get it to get rid of the streaks...just have to buff the crap outta the windows after it dries.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:42 PM

i have the orange rain-x washer fluid! for $2 it's def a better option for clear windows than piaa wipers
Old 12-17-2003, 02:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

dabuda.... i think we heard you the first time
Old 01-04-2007, 08:07 AM
The closet is for wimps

I'd recommend the PIAA wipers. I've had them on every car I've owned and they're wonderful.

Clean the windshield really well, let it dry, and then apply the stuff that comes with the wipers. It works in combination with the wipers themselves to produce a nearly permanent Rain-X effect. Over time, the Rain-X effect will disappear in areas that the wipers don't touch, but it will remain everywhere else.

I got a set of PIAA wipers back in 2004 when I bought my 04 Accord. For the nearly 3 years I had it, the Rain-X effect remained.. perfectly intact.

I'm going to get a set for the TL very soon
Old 01-04-2007, 08:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jab31169
I use rain-x on ALL my windows...front, rear, sides, mirrors. Its easy to get it to get rid of the streaks...just have to buff the crap outta the windows after it dries.
I use Rain-x too. I've heard from the autopia.org folks that the windshield wiper solution is terrible for your paint. So I stopped using it.

I also use the OEM wiper refills. Just too damn cheap to pass up and they do a great job for the price.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:39 AM
The closet is for wimps

Rain-x wears off. Using the PIAA super silicone blades with the windshield prep pack it comes with, no reapplication is necessary.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:54 AM
Pro

went to dealer couple of times for the "squeaky" windshield wiper sound even thou it was new.
changed to new WIPERS twice, and this time changed to new blades and even gave me replacing extra blades.

knowing my car's only 6 months old, thanks to the dealer
Ann Arbor Acura Rocks !
Old 01-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Instructor

I have them and love them. It's like using rain x but not having to reaply. And I haven't had any chattering problems at all.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by moda_way
I use Rain-x too. I've heard from the autopia.org folks that the windshield wiper solution is terrible for your paint. So I stopped using it.

I also use the OEM wiper refills. Just too damn cheap to pass up and they do a great job for the price.
I've been on the OEM wipers since the TSX was new, around 3 years. Acura of Cerritos had a coupon for $4.00 refills so I bought some for whenever I change them. They've been great so far.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:13 PM
2010 TL SH-AWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I assume when you guys are experiencing these skipping and chatters are only on the passenger side wipers right? Mine skipped like a little school girl the day I first brought it home and ever since then. I remember it was raining the 5 hour trip home.

I did the little alcohol wipes but that did good for a couple days. Im thinking that due to the longer length on the passenger side wipers(not the blade but the arm that the blades attaches to it) , pressure is not enough so it jumps. Leverage physics?
Old 01-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Instructor

Bosch Icons!!!! Best wipers ever. Makes the piaa lwipers look like the JV team. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I tried Rain-X for a while. It seemed pretty good, but I had to keep re-applying it.

Fog-X works for a while, then it actually makes the car fog up even more. I guess it absorbs the moisture or something, but once it gets saturated, it itself fogs up the window.

I remember driving at night, and my windows were so fogged up that it was as if someone was covering the windows. I had to constantly wipe off the windows while a passenger wiped off the other windows. It would then fog up again. I had to use a window cleaner and wash that stuff off.

Avoid Fog-X!!!

Besides, the TSX has a pretty good a/c system. It seems to clear up fog itself almost instantly...much better than my other cars.

By the way, did anyone notice how old this thread is? =)