Personal Observation, Sport Shift

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 11:48 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personal Observation, Sport Shift

My car is a 6-MT. I had a loaner TSX over the past two days with the automatic.

The TSX has to be one of the best automatic cars I have ever driven. I was very impressed, and you have to keep in mind I am pretty much an automatic hater.

I figured it would suck the life out of it, however, it DIDN'T! It was actually very fun to drive.

A few things that surprised me :

1. It lets you downshift to first. Big plus!
2. It lets you upshift real early. Like a short shift. Not sure why you would want to, but you can. I like the control.
3. In automatic mode it bangs off full throttle right at redline. Impressive.
4. Very fast reaction time to manual gear selection changes.

My only dislike was a bit of noticable torque coverter locking and unlocking on throttle input changes. Pretty minor, but it bugged me a little.

Overall I would be compelled to consider it. I'm still a manual lover, but I have to say that I was simply impressed.

PS : One of the best things about my TSX is that since it has been in the shop about 4 times now, I get to drive alot of different Acura products as loaners. Old TL, New TL, TSX Sportshift. Now if only I could wrangle a RL or NSX out of them nexttime....................
Old 12-18-2004, 02:27 AM
Race Director

nice 5at rox.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:39 AM
Racer

Yap...TSX 5 AT is not bad at all ^O^
Old 12-18-2004, 07:03 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by sveet

The TSX has to be one of the best automatic cars I have ever driven. I was very impressed, and you have to keep in mind I am pretty much an automatic hater.

I figured it would suck the life out of it, however, it DIDN'T! It was actually very fun to drive.

2. It lets you upshift real early. Like a short shift. Not sure why you would want to, but you can. I like the control.

My only dislike was a bit of noticable torque coverter locking and unlocking on throttle input changes. Pretty minor, but it bugged me a little.

Overall I would be compelled to consider it. I'm still a manual lover, but I have to say that I was simply impressed.

PS : One of the best things about my TSX is that since it has been in the shop about 4 times now, I get to drive alot of different Acura products as loaners. Old TL, New TL, TSX Sportshift. Now if only I could wrangle a RL or NSX out of them nexttime....................
Old 12-18-2004, 09:55 AM
Racer

Having test driven a Mercedes C-230 before driving the TSX, I was amazed at the quickness and smoothness of the Sport Shifter. It was like day and night compared to the C-230. It gives you nearly as much control as a manual. And, it actually seems to upshift faster if you have a generous amount of throttle applied. I cannot see how anyone could shift a manual faster.

On my TSX, I can downshift only if the RPM's are below a threshold, that seems to vary but is generally around 2000-2500. I sometimes think I would prefer it to queue the downshift and then downshift once the RPM's drop to around 2000 -- as Pontiacs do. The same threshold probably applies when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, but I have not encounter it.

On level grades, or declines, I will often upshift early. While, on inclines, I will usually delay shifting. My shift points will normally vary from 1500 RPM to 3500 RPM, but when I want to scoot, I will delay shifting until around 6000 RPM's.

I absolutely love the Sport Shifter. I cannot imagine, at this time, buying a car without it. To me, it is one of the most important features of the TSX.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:13 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Finally, a 6MTer who isn't bitching about the SS. It is quick for an SS.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:15 AM
Banned

now we muzt convert ze Modz...and zen Ze 5AT tserz Zhall Rule Ze Forums!!!!

lol, glad u liked it, its no stick but it is fun to drive still...if u still have it try drop shifting in a few corners, just being able to slap it back 2 gears and take a turn is prob my favorite thing about the TSX
Old 12-18-2004, 10:41 AM
Instructor

totally agree...
have only test driven the tsx, looking to buy in a few months...

i love manuals, and i know the tsx's is one of the best, but i drive in a lot of traffic. however, i still love to have the ability to drop gears for control, passing and cornering when i'm not commuting.

i have a 96 civic ex coupe right now and it moves pretty well for a 1.6 liter. but i get so tired of shifting in my commute. i test drove an SS for about 25 minutes on winding roads and was extremely impressed w/ the feature. i felt i had even more control than my manual because the downshifting was almost instant (no clutch lag time) and i was amazed at how intuitive it was.

i know a lot of people have complained about the direction of the shift (towards back of car to downshift) but it all depends on the person. i found it totally intuitive. after all i down shift into second and fourth that way everyday....
Old 12-18-2004, 11:32 AM
Instructor

just curious...how many miles on your 6M-T?
Old 12-18-2004, 01:30 PM
Registered AssHat

I actually find driving an automatic more tiring to drive in traffic than a manual. In my Jeep...even in 1st...I'm constantly having to ride the brakes.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:33 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
I actually find driving an automatic more tiring to drive in traffic than a manual. In my Jeep...even in 1st...I'm constantly having to ride the brakes.
You are quite obviously a freak of nature
Old 12-18-2004, 01:39 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
Old 12-18-2004, 08:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by danslvpt
just curious...how many miles on your 6M-T?
1 year old...............26K miles...............

Lot's of business use.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:20 PM
Cruisin'

I'm trying to decide between TSX and Legacy GT (both manual). I could test drive the Legacy 5MT but Acura dealers in my area don't stock the 6MT. So I drove the SS instead and wasn't impressed. It doesn't feel torquey enough even in sports mode. A friend of mine said that maybe the lag of the torque converter was taking the pleasure out of driving the car. But if you guys are saying that the SS actually feels a lot like the 6MT, I guess I wouldn't be satisfied with the 6MT either. Unfortunately, I must make my decision based on my experience with the auto since stupid Acura dealers don't wanna stock stick shifts.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by rushi
I'm trying to decide between TSX and Legacy GT (both manual). I could test drive the Legacy 5MT but Acura dealers in my area don't stock the 6MT. So I drove the SS instead and wasn't impressed. It doesn't feel torquey enough even in sports mode. A friend of mine said that maybe the lag of the torque converter was taking the pleasure out of driving the car. But if you guys are saying that the SS actually feels a lot like the 6MT, I guess I wouldn't be satisfied with the 6MT either. Unfortunately, I must make my decision based on my experience with the auto since stupid Acura dealers don't wanna stock stick shifts.
It's not that they don't want to stock the stick, it's that when they do have them in stock, they sell almost immediately or have already been pre-sold.

And the TSX does not have a lot of torque low down. This is the nature of Honda engines. The TSXs torque is mostly in the mid-range and you would notice it most in passing maneuvers at highway speeds.

If you're looking for a lot of torque, a turbo engine like that in the Legacy will give you that. If you're looking for a racier enginer, then the high end powerband of the TSX is the better choice. To each their own.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:40 PM
Cruisin'

I was trying passing maneuvers in the 3500-5000 rpm range downshifting the TSX SS into 3rd. Legacy 5MT provided better pick-up at lower RPM even in forth without the need to downshift. I guess the 90 extra lb-ft of peek torque makes a difference.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:21 PM
Sile

5at is really nice! I love mine.
I agree about highway passing, it is a joy!
Old 12-18-2004, 10:26 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Well I love sticks, my ride is a stick, but the SS in our new TSX for the wife is a compromise I'll make any day. I love this tranny so MUCH better then the CL-TL attempts.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:43 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just curious but why is this a big plus? Granted, I don't drive my TSX super agressively so I don't ever see a need to drop down from 2nd to 1st. It does it automatically (even in SS mode) when you come to a stop.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:49 AM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by jlukja
Just curious but why is this a big plus? Granted, I don't drive my TSX super agressively so I don't ever see a need to drop down from 2nd to 1st. It does it automatically (even in SS mode) when you come to a stop.
From what I heard (true or not, Im not sure), if you are speeding and see a cop ahead, it's better to downshift then to brake. I guess the thinking is that if a cop sees your brakelights, he may see you slowing down.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:51 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by wsklar
From what I heard (true or not, Im not sure), if you are speeding and see a cop ahead, it's better to downshift then to brake. I guess the thinking is that if a cop sees your brakelights, he may see you slowing down.
If he has superpowers and can see through your vehicle to see your taillights or your foot on the brake pedal, it may be more subtle to downshift and engine brake.

(for some reason I do this anyway)
Old 12-20-2004, 10:56 AM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by jcg878
If he has superpowers and can see through your vehicle to see your taillights or your foot on the brake pedal, it may be more subtle to downshift and engine brake.

Nice ....I mean he see the brake lights after you pass him.....
Old 12-20-2004, 11:28 AM
Team Owner

That may be the case but if you are speeding then you must be going pretty fast and then downshifting to 1st gear is not a good idea.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:32 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Nice ....I mean he see the brake lights after you pass him.....
That shouldn't matter. He can't pull you over for looking guilty.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:33 AM
Go Giants

That may be the case but if you are speeding then you must be going pretty fast and then downshifting to 1st gear is not a good idea.
But going from 5-4 or 4-3 would work.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:35 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rushi
I was trying passing maneuvers in the 3500-5000 rpm range downshifting the TSX SS into 3rd. Legacy 5MT provided better pick-up at lower RPM even in forth without the need to downshift. I guess the 90 extra lb-ft of peek torque makes a difference.

yea, ummm, we try not to compare the speed of the tsx to a 250 hp/250 ft/lbs turbocharged engine. Where we do compare the tsx is in the twisties. There is a car and driver article comparing these two cars. The Acura wins the test, but these are two very fun cars, if you want great power, with decent handeling go with subaru; if you want great handeling, with decent power go with the acura. If you wanna compare interiors and luxuary, the Acura is the clear choice. Look up the article if you want more info. Hope this helps
Old 12-20-2004, 11:36 AM
Team Owner

But going from 5-4 or 4-3 would work.
Yes, of course. My question was why is it a big plus to downshift to 1st.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:37 AM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
That shouldn't matter. He can't pull you over for looking guilty.
Or any of these.... :blaze:
Old 12-20-2004, 04:16 PM
Sile

When you are cruising at 20mph in auto, the car may be in 3rd. In SS, you can keep it out of 3rd and go down to first very quickly instead of mashing the gas and waiting.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:25 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sssh. Keep quite or the 6MT maffia will come for you in the night!
Old 12-20-2004, 05:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jcg878

I read somewhere that's how cops in Virginia catch drivers who are using radar detectors, illegal in that state. They wait for a bunch of cars to pass by them, aim their radar gun at the bunch, and squeeze off a burst. Whoever's brake lights come on gets nailed.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:34 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by vger105
I read somewhere that's how cops in Virginia catch drivers who are using radar detectors, illegal in that state. They wait for a bunch of cars to pass by them, aim their radar gun at the bunch, and squeeze off a burst. Whoever's brake lights come on gets nailed.
Thats cool....
Old 12-20-2004, 07:14 PM
Instructor

Comming into a hard corner I would often take it to first, then power thru. I am talking very tight corner were speeds are down to 5-10 mph.

In cars that only let you get down to second, when you go wide open on the exit of the corner you get a very untimely downshift and resultant torque multiplication.