Pearl White long term quality

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 09:00 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Pearl White long term quality

Hi. I did a search on White And Fade but only one relevant thread came up so sorry if this has been covered alot. I am ready to purchase a PWP TSX and intend to keep it for a long long long time. I have seen older white cars on the road and alot of the time, the color appears faded, and I see more rusting on white cars. I think white is an awesome color for a luxury/high class car but worried about the color fading or turning yellowish. Is there anything I can do to prevent it or is this just something I have to live with? Has anyone with '04 White TSX notice any fading or discoloration?
Old 04-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you just have to live with it. It's hard to notice though unless you put it next to a brand new white part. For example, if you ever get into a fender bender and need something replaced then you'll notice it.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:53 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think it's all depend on how u take care of it. my dad has an 01 RX300 and it is white. everyday after work he would wipe his car with a wet piece of cloth to get dirt and debri off. he has this car since 2001 and it is more shiny and looks newer then my 05 white TSX and no he never got his car wax either. If you put his car next to other white 01 RX300 out there, you would think that he just got a paint job.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:38 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think what you're seeing is the oxidized paint. If you keep a nice coat of wax on there and polish when you are supposed to, you wont see any of that.

With that said... My cousin has a white TL current generation that he has never polished nor really washed with soap. He just uses a rag and water. The bumper and body color doesn't match. Not sure if that has anything to do with his washing methods.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Alin10123
My cousin has a white TL current generation that he has never polished nor really washed with soap. He just uses a rag and water. The bumper and body color doesn't match. Not sure if that has anything to do with his washing methods.
Unfortunately Pearl White is the hardest to match the plastic bumpers with the sheetmetal. This is due to the 'flex' additives in the bumper paint, and the fact they are painted at different times.

The Pearl finish requires a clear coat and because of this it shoudnt have too much problems with oxidation. A good polish with UV inhibitors like Zaino will help longevity also.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:50 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
With any paint, but especially PWP, I'd highly recommend using a clay bar at least once a year, preferrably in the spring. It will pull the contaminants and oxidation out of the paint. From there, use a polish, then a glaze, then a polymer protectant. I use a Mother's clay bar, then Meg's step 1, step 2, and then Meg's NXT Tech Wax (polymer). The paint is unbelieveably shiny and rich looking.

And Colin - I agree that the bumpers never "quite" match the sheet metal. Only in bright sunlight with a perfectly clean car, will you ever notice this, but yeah its not quite 100% matching. Oh well... still the sexiest color for the TSX.