ouch

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 08:01 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry ouch

So I come home from work yesterday, park next to the wife's TSX and notice something different. Namely, there are large gashes in the sidewall of the back right tire and corresponding scrapes and gouges on the wheel.

After some cajoling, she admits that she hit a curb pulling into our parking lot. How she managed to do this, I have no idea.

And this morning, I get the best news of all - these crappy Michelins are an incredible $246 apiece installed!! YEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! :'(

Not a good way to start the day.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:14 AM
Registered AssHat

If they are quoting you $246 installed, that's a rip off, even for Michelins. TireRack.com has them for $176 and you can get them mounted for $15 or less.

If you're going to spend $250 for a single tire, might as well spend $500 on a complete set of good rubber.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Re: ouch

Originally posted by gonova
.....And this morning, I get the best news of all - these crappy Michelins are an incredible $246 apiece installed!! ....
You can buy the OEM tires (Michelin Pilot HX MXM4) for $176 at tirerack. I can't believe Acura would charge so much for mounting one freakin' tire. Wait a second......yeah I can. Have someone else do it.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:23 AM
Advanced

KILLED!

BWAHAHA! 17/215/50 for $246.00 installed. Somebody is getting robbed BIG TIME!
Old 09-18-2003, 11:47 AM
Burning Brakes

I had a similar problem a few years ago, although I had thought that the curb had gotten in the way. At work we have these stupid zig-zag corner curbs. (Style is everything!)

Anyway, in my argument with the curb, the curb one.

It was the front tire, and it threw out my alignment. For front tire "arguments", I would highly recommend also having the front-end alignment checked. My tire did not require replacement, but I had to have it re-balanced.

That said, I thought that the Word of Wisdom for performance or low profile tires was to always replace BOTH left-right tires whenever you have to replace either one of them? With two differently aged tires, doesn't that throw off optimum alignment, balance, and performance????
Old 09-18-2003, 12:40 PM
Registered AssHat

1) Because one is worn more than the other, they are different sizes. This means that one wheel is always spinning faster than the other, putting a big load on your differential.

2) Because one is worn more than the other, they have different grip characteristics resulting in odd steering/handling.

You can usually get away with it in with the rears since there is no axle/diff and the handling is not as important.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:56 PM
Advanced

Yeah, I know I am overpaying, but I can't wait a couple days to get the tire from Tire Rack and then get it installed. I would definitely do so if I was changing all the tires and could plan ahead, but we need both of our cars, so what u gonna do?

The car only has 2000 miles on it, and since it is the rear tire I am not too worried about the balancing/handling difference.

Just the avoidability of the whole situation pisses me off though.

End of venting.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:01 PM
Racer

women
buy the tire and make your wife install it :-*
Old 09-18-2003, 03:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Santacruz
...buy the tire and make your wife install it :-*
i know you're jesting but i wouldnt trust anyone that hits the curb parking a car to install tires...for the sidewall to have gashes she must've been going a little fast? :P