Orange Disk Navigation update 3.50 - Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Overlord

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Orange Disk Navigation update 3.50 - Anyone?

Has anyone purchased the 3.50 update disk for the '04 or '05 TSX Orange Disk? If so, I'd like to ask a small favor. I'll PM the details. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:32 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beoshingus
Has anyone purchased the 3.50 update disk for the '04 or '05 TSX Orange Disk? If so, I'd like to ask a small favor. I'll PM the details. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Assuming 3.50 is the current upgrade I have installed this disc yes. As long as this favor does not include "copying" the disc you can go ahead and PM me.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:41 PM
Overlord

Originally Posted by Stevestr
Assuming 3.50 is the current upgrade I have installed this disc yes. As long as this favor does not include "copying" the disc you can go ahead and PM me.
Nope, the favor just involves finding out if the coverage in my area is any different from the disk I already have, so that I'll know if the new disk is worth the money to me. I'll PM the details. Thanks...
Old 02-09-2006, 03:51 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aside from updated maps, anything else it offers?
Old 02-14-2006, 02:27 PM
Intermediate

does anyont know if u could just use a copy that u burn with a dvd burner???
Old 02-14-2006, 02:34 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by TWong1200
Aside from updated maps, anything else it offers?
Where have you been, TWong???

Back on topic, I'm assuming that this new version has the entire new section of 210 fwy. Steve, can you check this out please? I've been thinking about buying this disc, but more important things kept popping up.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:10 PM
Overlord

Angry

You know, it really burns me up that they aren't updating the maps on the Navi DVDs. Look at the map coverage listed on the website for the 2005 TSX and compare it to the coverage on the 2006 TSX. The list of updates for the Orange disk from 3.40 to 3.50 is pathetic! The Orange disk seems to only contain verified data for major cities, whereas the White disk looks like it has verified data for just about everywhere. Why didn't they include those updates with the 3.50 orange disk for the 2005 TSX, which came out at the same time as the White disk that comes with the 2006 TSX?

The Orange disk for the 2005 and the White disk for the 2006 model should BOTH contain the same map data! The 2004 and 2005 TSX owners should not be penalized for not having a 2006! The entire point of using DVDs for map data is that as new areas are verified and mapped, we can incorporate that coverage into our system. These areas have OBVIOUSLY been verified by Navteq, because they appear on the White disk. But if they don't bother to include the same information on their other "updates", what good are the updates?

The fact that they want $185 for that is sad. The fact that it doesn't seem to be much improved over the disk I already have is ridiculous - especially when they have the ability to make it so much better. If the 3.50 disk had the same coverage as the White disk, I'd gladly pay $185 for it.

I really wish I knew where I could address this complaint at Acura that it would be heard.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:14 PM
2nd Gear

Does anyone know if copied dvd works on the navi?
Old 02-15-2006, 02:32 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
We prefer not to have our site shut down, so we don't discuss bootlegging navi dvd's.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Beoshingus, unfortunatly the 2005 vs. 2006 issue works both ways. The 2006 navi runs on a completely different core and the discs do not just contain updated maps, they are completely different in format. If you read certain selections from the various hack-the-navi threads where people are expimenting with splash screens and different colors on the maps, you'll note the programmers there attempted 2006s only to find they were completely different.

I suspect update support for the older format 04/05 from here on in will be somewhere between pathetic and nil. Unfortunatly, i give my new 2006 nav system the same, maybe about 2 years until the move to the next best and greatest system and stop supporting it completely. Even in my 2006, the roads for my apartment complex (which was built in 2004) do not show up. Thanksfully coverage is failry good other than my 1 little issue with 'home', and I'm glad it has 90% of the newer roads in my area.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:45 AM
Overlord

Originally Posted by Reach
Beoshingus, unfortunatly the 2005 vs. 2006 issue works both ways. The 2006 navi runs on a completely different core and the discs do not just contain updated maps, they are completely different in format. If you read certain selections from the various hack-the-navi threads where people are expimenting with splash screens and different colors on the maps, you'll note the programmers there attempted 2006s only to find they were completely different.

I suspect update support for the older format 04/05 from here on in will be somewhere between pathetic and nil. Unfortunatly, i give my new 2006 nav system the same, maybe about 2 years until the move to the next best and greatest system and stop supporting it completely. Even in my 2006, the roads for my apartment complex (which was built in 2004) do not show up. Thanksfully coverage is failry good other than my 1 little issue with 'home', and I'm glad it has 90% of the newer roads in my area.
I'm fully aware of the difference between the white disk and orange disk hardware. My gripe is that Navteq, who controls the map data for both, did not bother to update the orange disk with the most up-to-date map coverage available to them. The data is available, but they released the 3.50 disk with minimal updates. Not even worth the upgrade.

Here it is 2006 - my 2005 TSX is less than one year old - and I can't get map data that is current. That is my gripe, and I think it is a very valid one.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:50 AM
Overlord

Originally Posted by Reach
... Even in my 2006, the roads for my apartment complex (which was built in 2004) do not show up. Thanksfully coverage is failry good other than my 1 little issue with 'home', and I'm glad it has 90% of the newer roads in my area.

My neighborhood, which has been around for over 25 years, is unverified, and the roads on the maps (on the orange disk) are laid out wrong and in the wrong locations. I am in a city which the coverage map claims to be "verified," however my little corner obviously isn't. I was okay with this (to an extent) because I expected updated DVDs to correct the issue. But obviously they have not.

Who can I call / write at Acura to raise this complaint? I'm afraid that if they provide these meager updates for the 3.50 disk, then the odds that this is fixed on the 3.60 disk to be released in November 2006 are pretty slim as well. I paid for a dynamically updatable navigation system - not a static map circa 2004.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:59 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i have an 04 navi disk. i noticed on the newer tsx the menus are different, on the map screen there is a row of touch buttons on the bottom of the screen. if i update my 04 disk to the current one, will i gain that functionality of the menus? will i get the zagat restaurant guide?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:05 PM
Banned

The Acura salesman I bought the car from actualy trash talked the upgrade DVDs, saying it's about $150 and harldy anything changes from year to year.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:52 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

so you are saying that no matter what i upgrade to, because i have an 04 navigation, the maps will always generally "suck"? like i can never upgrade to the newest 2007 version with the nifty menus on the bottom of the nav screen?
Old 08-27-2007, 11:28 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Originally Posted by wackura
The Acura salesman I bought the car from actualy trash talked the upgrade DVDs, saying it's about $150 and harldy anything changes from year to year.
Of course he trashed them, there's no markup in them for him at all - especially if you order direct online from Acura.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:30 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Originally Posted by RogerPodacter
so you are saying that no matter what i upgrade to, because i have an 04 navigation, the maps will always generally "suck"? like i can never upgrade to the newest 2007 version with the nifty menus on the bottom of the nav screen?
Short answer, yes.

I don't think the processor in our '04s could handle much more. Already with just one upgrade I've seen reduced performance and random freezes.

The maps for San Francisco and much of California are really not too bad, unless you are in a newer area of town. Until we get direct satellite updating not too much can be done about that.

If you really want the most flexible system you should probably go third party with a Garmin. However, the TSX dash seems barren without that screen there, and on the '04s its the only way we can access trip computer functions.

Long answer, you can upgrade if and when they decide to release software upgrades for the orange series of disks. When I upgraded I gained some new color options from my original discs and the layout of some items on the CD screens and fonts changed. Not much of a big change, but somewhat of a revision.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Originally Posted by Beoshingus
My neighborhood, which has been around for over 25 years, is unverified, and the roads on the maps (on the orange disk) are laid out wrong and in the wrong locations. I am in a city which the coverage map claims to be "verified," however my little corner obviously isn't. I was okay with this (to an extent) because I expected updated DVDs to correct the issue. But obviously they have not.

Who can I call / write at Acura to raise this complaint? I'm afraid that if they provide these meager updates for the 3.50 disk, then the odds that this is fixed on the 3.60 disk to be released in November 2006 are pretty slim as well. I paid for a dynamically updatable navigation system - not a static map circa 2004.
Acura doesn't really control these upgrades. They are controlled by the mapping partner who I believe is NavTech.

You'd have to get them to upgrade their database - that has been a feat and a half from what I have been reading with online mapping updates from other agencies.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:02 AM
So, do you like...stuff?

Originally Posted by Stevestr
Short answer, yes.

I don't think the processor in our '04s could handle much more. Already with just one upgrade I've seen reduced performance and random freezes.

The maps for San Francisco and much of California are really not too bad, unless you are in a newer area of town. Until we get direct satellite updating not too much can be done about that.

If you really want the most flexible system you should probably go third party with a Garmin. However, the TSX dash seems barren without that screen there, and on the '04s its the only way we can access trip computer functions.

Long answer, you can upgrade if and when they decide to release software upgrades for the orange series of disks. When I upgraded I gained some new color options from my original discs and the layout of some items on the CD screens and fonts changed. Not much of a big change, but somewhat of a revision.

so you think i'll have any luck if i buy the newer dvd drive and pop it in the 04 tsx? my dvd drive broke and i wanna throw the new dvd drive with the newer processor in there. i wonder if the touch screen interface is all interchangeable, and the new dvd drive will work. any thoughts?