One Man’s Story

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 04:11 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One Man’s Story

Good afternoon everyone,

As a newbie, I’m sure a brief first-time post would be appropriate. But since I’ve been religiously following the Acura TSX since mid-March (yes, I too started over on the “other side”), I don’t really feel like a newbie. I don’t know why, but for some reason I decided that until I actually became a TSX owner, I would remain in “read only” mode and not do any posting of my own. I’m pleased to say that as of this week I am an owner (see my signature) and with your indulgence in my slightly long post, I would like to share my story with you.

It begins with my age – 61 (and a half!). I’ve been driving manual transmission cars for the past 30 years and I have to smile when I see posts from people who say they’ll never give up their manuals. That was me until about a year ago when left knee problems began and finally got the best of me. On occasion I would find myself using my left hand to assist my left knee in working the clutch in stop and go traffic – and I knew it was time. Reluctantly, I made the decision that an automatic is what I needed. I also knew this was going to be a special time for me because whatever car I chose, it would be the one to take me well in to my retirement years. In 2007 I’ll be relocating to a home I own in the Dayton, Ohio area so I can be closer to my extended family in the Midwest and east.

Since 1973, I’ve enjoyed driving these vehicles all of which were 4 cylinder cars except for the 6s in the Mitsubishi and the Ford:

· 2001 - Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
· 1996 - Ford Contour SE
· 1994 - Acura Integra GS-R (Stolen in LA on Christmas Eve, 1995!)
· 1989 - Honda CRXsi
· 1985 - VW Golf GTI
· 1983 - VW Rabbit GTI (The original “hot hatch” – all 90 bhp of it!)
· 1978 - VW Sirocco
· 1974 - VW Dasher (I think this may have pre-dated the Rabbit just slightly in the USA?)

None of these were expensive cars, but I truly enjoyed each of them for what they were. But that was then and this is now, and after several test drives – and reading all of the comparisons people have made with the Audi A4 1.8t, the BMW 325, the Mercedes C230, and the Saab 93, I simply fell in love with the TSX and couldn’t justify spending any more than what it would cost me.

I had a wonderful car-buying experience with Niello Acura in Sacramento and I’ll have more to say on that later in the “Dealers Lot” section. But I must acknowledge that my enthusiasm for the TSX was tempered somewhat by all the trouble reports that abound on this site. On one of my numerous visits to the dealer, I had a chance to speak briefly with a young man introduced to me as being “from Acura.” He was busy, but I did have a chance to talk with him briefly and told him about some of the problems being reported on various web sites. I found it interesting that he said, “oh, you mean like acura-tsx.com? I didn’t mention this specific site to him – he said it to me! I found it encouraging that at least one person at Acura is paying attention to what buyers are saying.

I also mentioned to him that it seemed to be taking longer than both Niello and I expected for my car (with a build date of 7/11) to arrive. He told me that about a month and a half ago, which would have been mid to late June, Acura began an “IQS” (Initial Quality Satisfaction) process on all TSXs once they arrived in port in San Diego. He said the TSX is an important model for Acura and that they’re committed to ensuring that their product quality continues to lead the industry. I wish I’d had a little more time to talk with him because I wondered to myself later about why Acura is now doing this IQS process in San Diego? Why aren’t they doing it in Japan – before the cars leave the factory? Maybe I misunderstood something?

The fact is, when it finally came time to pick up my own TSX, I was wondering which one it would be. Would it be the TSX that prompted prballard to start his great “Coolness” thread where a number of you provided him with help in compiling his 50 top things to like? Or would mine be like the one I saw on the showroom floor, where the gap between the driver’s door and the instrument panel was painfully wide, and the leather (vinyl?) that comes up from the back of the steering wheel to meet the top of aluminum control panels for audio and cruise controls stood up like two unwanted “ rabbit ears” above the metal? You see, in spite of all the reports that show Acura doing well in terms of quality and customer service, when it’s your car that has a problem, it doesn’t matter how well Acura is doing overall, does it?

My choice for interior and exterior colors are shown in my signature. I’ve been impressed by some of your comments about using your navigation systems, but for me, I simply couldn’t justify the extra $2,000 and I wasn’t really looking forward to the large screen dominating my dash, so I passed on it. But I can assure you that if you’re a car enthusiast, whether you’re 21 or 61, when “the call” finally comes the excitement is the same! I’m now enjoying my new ride and so far, nothing major to report other than I’m loving it. As far as the infamous sound system problems I have none to report. While I enjoy a variety of musical styles, my first choice is classical and I don’t really need a lot of thumping bass for that, so maybe that’s why I haven’t encountered a problem.

Thank you for taking the time to read my story, and I look forward to sharing more thoughts with you in the days ahead.

P.S. You know, I think I really do miss BeingIS300!
Old 08-21-2003, 04:32 PM
Oklahoma Sooners

Contrats on your new TSX... :P
Old 08-21-2003, 04:37 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the board TSeniorX. I like your handle At 61 years old that puts you ahead of Larchmont. Sorry Larch

Be sure to let us know how you find the car as you break it in and beyond.

P.S. I don't miss Being at all, but I do have a feeling he is still here incognito.
Old 08-21-2003, 04:38 PM

Well said!!! Welcome to the club... I too decided against the clutch because of a sore knee. I however am only 31. It's not bad but I could feel the strain during my many hours logged in the 6 MT.

I completely agree with your take on the ages... It is a car for whomever enjoys driving.
Old 08-21-2003, 04:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Congrats, old man!
Old 08-21-2003, 05:08 PM
Racer

damn! i think i missed my birthday while i read that post!!!

congrats on the car and welcome aboard.
Old 08-21-2003, 05:25 PM
Cruisin'

Gee, only 61, I'm 68. Bought my 6MT TSX on 5/8.
Old 08-21-2003, 05:36 PM
Intermediate

Congrats on your new TSX. I'm a young guy myself (only 59) and I also went with the auto and no nav. I expect that you will really like the sport shift auto. I use it frequently in heavy traffic and on the highway for fun.

If I were 20 years younger, I probably would have bought a 6mt, but I'm not. I'd have missed a really nice tranny.

I'm glad to meet you and I think you will like your car even more as you gain experience with it.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:32 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Whoa...68... 59...I always thought Larch was the oldest here. I guess I was way off.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: One Man’s Story

Congratulations and welcome! I'm just the opposite of you in some ways. I don't have my TSX--it's been on order since June--but I've placed 258 messages. (TSX whore status is 300.)

Originally posted by TSeniorX

1983 - VW Rabbit GTI (The original “hot hatch” – all 90 bhp of it!)
· 1978 - VW Sirocco
· 1974 - VW Dasher (I think this may have pre-dated the Rabbit just slightly in the USA?)
My gosh, are you are a survivor of Seventies' Bosch fuel injectors? Those were nasty for all German car manufacturers in the 70's, unless you had carbuerated engines.

It's a little controversial to call the Rabbit the original hot hatch. A hatchback car which had a somewhat similar profile that some argue was ahead of its time was the...ahemmm...don't laugh...no, go ahead and laugh...the AMC Gremlin (really) , which I believe was available in 4, 6, and 8 cylinders. VW and Pontiac provided some of the engines.

I found it encouraging that at least one person at Acura is paying attention to what buyers are saying.
That's good to know too. It would behoove a manufacturer or a dealer to ignore this and similar forums. It's an important sounding board for dealers and manufacturers to listen and learn how to serve their customers better.

He told me that about a month and a half ago, which would have been mid to late June, Acura began an “IQS” (Initial Quality Satisfaction) process on all TSXs once they arrived in port in San Diego. Why aren’t they doing it in Japan – before the cars leave the factory? Maybe I misunderstood something?
The new head of Honda recently mandated that the factories put more focus on quality. These forums are very public indications of some quality slippage. In the past, warranty issues were proprietary, and now they are very public.

It's important that at least they catch things, whether at the factory, at the dock, or at the dealer before delivery to the customer. Cars that Toyota and Honda export from Canada and the US to Japan undergo similar quality checks before they ship AND after they arrive in Japan.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:15 PM
More On

Originally posted by fdl
Whoa...68... 59...I always thought Larch was the oldest here. I guess I was way off.
Besides, I have the feeling that most people think I'm older than I really am. WTF, even I've gotten that feeling, from being so much older than most of the others!

Big welcome, Senior!!! Great post. You're a cool, cool dude, and you know what you're doing.

I particularly enjoyed the historical perspective about our site (and the old one). It's awesome to know that people may be following us religiously over a period of months, and feeling connected and involved with us and our history, even without joining. Ah yes, BeingIS300 -- I think I remember that!

BTW, off the subject, but -- has anyone else noticed we've seen hardly anything on here about the IS300 for weeks? Seemed like in the early days the IS300 was the car that was the main comparison to the TSX, and in truth I think it probably is -- but we haven't been talking about it for some reason.

P.S. to Senior: How did you find out about this new site after most of us moved from the "club"? Just curious.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:54 PM
Banned

And here I thought I was the old man at 58. Too bad about the knees -- the 6MT is the best TSX!!
Old 08-21-2003, 09:16 PM
Pro

Congrats on your new car!! That really sucks about your left leg giving up on you. Well, now, you have an automatic, but you can still shift with the SportShift feature with your fingers. It may not be the same, but it's there.

Also, BeingIS300 is a "cheaky" fellow. I remember him discreatly and he was only 1 of only about 2 or 3 people banned from the ClubTSX. I don't remember the specific reason why he was banned; I think he bashed the TSX a lot. He liked his Lexus and BMW.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:53 PM
More On

Originally posted by jackspat2
.....BeingIS300.... don't remember the specific reason why he was banned; I think he bashed the TSX a lot. He liked his Lexus and BMW.
He was banned because he profanely and repetitively insulted people several times too many.

BTW I don't remember that he was particularly fond of or interested in BMW's. Maybe he was, but I don't remember it that way. But actually he said many, many accurate and nice things about the TSX, when he was in the mood.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:13 PM
Pro

Looks like Larch has a better memory than I do. I probably got the BMW thing from other people liking BMW bashing the TSX. Bah.

And I wanted to say I think TSeniorX has a cool name. TSeniorX.

xXLarchmonTSeniorXx lol
Old 08-21-2003, 10:18 PM
More On

Larchmontsx?
Old 08-21-2003, 10:35 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Iceman
And here I thought I was the old man at 58. Too bad about the knees -- the 6MT is the best TSX!!
You're 58?

You know i really didnt think we had so many members over 50. Where were you guys hiding during the "How old are you" poll?
Old 08-21-2003, 10:36 PM
More On

Originally posted by fdl
.......Where were you guys hiding during the "How old are you" poll?
I think actually most of us were in there -- either on the old site, or here, or both.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:44 PM
Pro

Originally posted by larchmont
Larchmontsx?
You forgot the senior part

I thought the X's would make it more flashy and in your face!
Old 08-21-2003, 10:44 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I think actually most of us were in there -- either on the old site, or here, or both.
Only one person voted over 55. Larch arent you over 55?

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=1448
Old 08-21-2003, 10:55 PM
More On

Originally posted by fdl
Only one person voted over 55. Larch arent you over 55?.....
http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...1265#post21265

Old 08-21-2003, 10:59 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Spring Chicken!
Old 08-21-2003, 11:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Maybe when they got to the age poll, they forgot why they were there to begin with.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:11 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by swami
Maybe when they got to the age poll, they forgot why they were there to begin with.

LOL!
Old 08-21-2003, 11:35 PM
Cruisin'

Senior - Finally, someone with the same car as I got! Now I'll know I'm not alone reading the bashes on the parchment interior and "plood" trim - and I also won't have to feel like the oldest one on this board (42).
Old 08-21-2003, 11:37 PM
Instructor

Welcome! I'm sure you'll enjoy your TSX as much (if not more) as I do.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:50 PM
Banned

Originally posted by fdl
You're 58?

You know i really didnt think we had so many members over 50. Where were you guys hiding during the "How old are you" poll?
I must have missed it. I posted my age on the old site, along with a few other "old persons" as my sons call me.
Old 08-23-2003, 03:27 PM
Advanced

Besides, I have the feeling that most people think I'm older than I really am. WTF, even I've gotten that feeling, from being so much older than most of the others!

Big welcome, Senior!!! Great post. You're a cool, cool dude, and you know what you're doing.

I particularly enjoyed the historical perspective about our site (and the old one). It's awesome to know that people may be following us religiously over a period of months, and feeling connected and involved with us and our history, even without joining. Ah yes, BeingIS300 -- I think I remember that!

BTW, off the subject, but -- has anyone else noticed we've seen hardly anything on here about the IS300 for weeks? Seemed like in the early days the IS300 was the car that was the main comparison to the TSX, and in truth I think it probably is -- but we haven't been talking about it for some reason.

P.S. to Senior: How did you find out about this new site after most of us moved from the "club"? Just curious.
I've been in "read only" mode for so many months I find myself a bit challenged by the messaging process so please bear with me.

Since Larch seems to be one of the most consistent and "pleasantly disruptive" members on this board, I thought I would choose his note as my "hook" to thank all of you who took the time to respond to my maiden post. Like a number of you, I was on vacation in early July when "it" happened. As I wandered around blindly on the other site trying to figure out why I wasn't seeing much in the way of new posts from some of the names I was used to seeing, I stumbled on one message with this site's addressed emblazoned in red, white, and blue. Not sure who it was, but that post was my entry point to join the rest of you.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond.
Old 08-23-2003, 03:46 PM
More On

Originally posted by soopa
This must be what you mean!!

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...=3518#post3518

Soopa did that, and then 1killercls posted it on the old site.

Of course the geniuses over there deleted it as soon as they saw it.
Old 08-23-2003, 03:46 PM
Advanced

Re: Re: One Man’s Story

Originally posted by Brad
Congratulations and welcome! I'm just the opposite of you in some ways. I don't have my TSX--it's been on order since June--but I've placed 258 messages. (TSX whore status is 300.)

My gosh, are you are a survivor of Seventies' Bosch fuel injectors? Those were nasty for all German car manufacturers in the 70's, unless you had carbuerated engines.

It's a little controversial to call the Rabbit the original hot hatch. A hatchback car which had a somewhat similar profile that some argue was ahead of its time was the...ahemmm...don't laugh...no, go ahead and laugh...the AMC Gremlin (really) , which I believe was available in 4, 6, and 8 cylinders. VW and Pontiac provided some of the engines.

That's good to know too. It would behoove a manufacturer or a dealer to ignore this and similar forums. It's an important sounding board for dealers and manufacturers to listen and learn how to serve their customers better.

The new head of Honda recently mandated that the factories put more focus on quality. These forums are very public indications of some quality slippage. In the past, warranty issues were proprietary, and now they are very public.

It's important that at least they catch things, whether at the factory, at the dock, or at the dealer before delivery to the customer. Cars that Toyota and Honda export from Canada and the US to Japan undergo similar quality checks before they ship AND after they arrive in Japan.
Brad, I am indeed a survivor of the Bosch fuel injectors and I encountered numerous breakdowns. And on the Dasher, I think I had a dealer-installed air conditioner that if I'm not mistaken, if I turned it on, and then off while I was driving, I couldn't turn it on again unless I shut the engine off and restarted the car! That may not be exactly correct, but something like it. But for me, there was just something about the VWs that held my interest up until the late 80s when I went with the '89 CRXsi. By then, I think VW was no longer building cars in this country and things were not looking too good for the.

As for your comments on the AMC Gremlin, I certainly remember it being a hatchback, and a very heavy one too if I'm not mistaken. My use of the term "hot hatch" came from the very first "Car and Driver" article about the GTI. At least I think that's what they called it.
Old 08-23-2003, 03:52 PM
Advanced

This must be what you mean!!

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...=3518#post3518

Soopa did that, and then 1killercls posted it on the old site.

Of course the geniuses over there deleted it as soon as they saw it.
Yup, that's the one!

Question: If I want to reply to a specific post in a long string of posts, such as you last one, do I have to execute the "quote" function, or is there some simpler way?

Thanks.
Old 08-23-2003, 04:16 PM
More On

....If I want to reply to a specific post in a long string of posts, such as you last one, do I have to execute the "quote" function, or is there some simpler way?....
Not sure I understand, but if I do -- the easiest way is to click "quote" on that post.

The reason I'm wondering if I understand is, it seems like that's pretty simple.

Maybe you didn't see that every post has a "quote" button?
Old 08-23-2003, 07:33 PM
Advanced

Not sure I understand, but if I do -- the easiest way is to click "quote" on that post.

The reason I'm wondering if I understand is, it seems like that's pretty simple.

Maybe you didn't see that every post has a "quote" button?
Larch, thanks for the follow up. I'm sure you're familiar with old dogs having to learn new tricks once in a while, right? What I was trying to do is make sure I don't restate an entire thread just because I want to respond to one particular post.
Old 08-23-2003, 08:34 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Re: One Man’s Story

Brad, I am indeed a survivor of the Bosch fuel injectors and I encountered numerous breakdowns. And on the Dasher, I think I had a dealer-installed air conditioner that if I'm not mistaken, if I turned it on, and then off while I was driving, I couldn't turn it on again unless I shut the engine off and restarted the car! That may not be exactly correct, but something like it. ....
Seems like the TSX is attracting people who have owned some interesting cars. Might be fun for us old guys to tell some stories about "walking 5 miles through the snow to school" about our cars.

I'll start (actually, I'll go second. Senior went first. Or did Larch?). Had a '75 Saab 99 that I just loved when it ran. It had a Saab (approved) air conditioner installed at the dealer. The compressor had to be behind the engine at the firewall, and as a result, the compressor drive belt was no bigger than fan belts in the 60s and 70s cars, which is to say really skinny. It was too thin to do the job, plus it was in the middle of the radiant heat generated by the engine and reflected by the firewall. The engine/firewall oven did a great job of baking it to a sheen, which would cause it to start to slip until it turned into the shiniest, slipperiest, most brittle piece of rubber you've ever seen. The result was that a trip of any distance at outside temperatures any higher than about 80 degress would be more than the belt could handle. I usually carried 2 or 3 with me, and got very good at changing them.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:01 PM
Advanced

Re: Re: Re: Re: One Man’s Story

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lshenretty
[B]Seems like the TSX is attracting people who have owned some interesting cars. Might be fun for us old guys to tell some stories about "walking 5 miles through the snow to school" about our cars.

...after reading what TSeniorX had to say, along with Ishentretty, I had to laugh about the comment regarding surviving the old Bosche fuel injector era. They were often touted as being the absolute best injection system you could get, my Scirocco had nothing but grief, as did my dad's Audi 4000S. When I look at today's offerings, many of which don't require any work under the hood, other than oil changes, until they have three or more years of driving on the odometers, it brings back all those 'wonderful' memories of having to change the 'points, plugs, and condensor' on all of my cars EVERY month...we have really come a long way, I had an Alfa Romeo GTV that I remembered fondly, until I saw one at a local import dealer recently, I sat in it, looked at the dash layout, the controls, the way the interior was designed, and realized it was actually quite archaic when compared to what we have to drive today, the seats are NOT comfortable, the controls are all over the place and the knobs and switches not very sturdy, and the overall quality was really quite crude when compared to a car like the TSX. That is one of the things that always amazes me each time I get into a TSX, the look and feel of quality, today's cars are truly awesome, forget about the "good old days"...

Lorne Miller