Now it's 'time to wait'

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 08:57 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now it's 'time to wait'

Well, it was timetobuy for me, but now it’s ‘time to wait’ and ‘time to rent’. After several what-to-buy flip-flops during the last six months (BMW X3, G35X, Acura TL. BMW 330xi), in October I decided on a ’05 TSX, 6MT w/nav, and put down a deposit at the local dealership. There was some confusion about 1st and 2nd color choice, and our order (my wife shares the car) somehow (unknowingly?) wound up as the 2nd choice, SSM. Now we definitely want CG, so we have to wait longer. The dealer says that we have an electronic inventory-transfer in place, and hopefully the car we want will arrive here by early January. They are also checking into the possibility of ‘swaps’ with other nearby dealers (up to 75 miles), to get the car sooner. I am a little leery of these inter-dealer swap/drive arrangements. What do you think?

Our 1990 Accord EX (great for thirteen years) had engine valve work last year, and now a valve is shot again. It’s basically not drivable and will cost over $1000 to fix… so forget it. We’ve been renting on weekends (we use public transportation to commute to work M-F). Reluctantly, I’ve learned some interesting things about renting cars. For example, at our local rental chain outlet, it’s less expensive overall to reserve a car for Friday to Monday, then Saturday to Monday. Also, if you reserve online for a cheap model at a small outlet, they rarely have it available at the time you arrive, and wind up giving you an upgrade. They don’t seem to care. The last upgrade was from a ‘compact’ to a new Bonneville. I pressed the ‘Onstar’ button by accident and Adam was at my service within a few seconds. My wife asked if the Acura TSX will have that feature. I said ‘No, but that’s no big deal, and you’re going to love the TSX. Remember how you loved your old ’85 Jetta. Well it’s more like that, except the electrical system works and we won’t get any rain water in the back seat area. Plus the shifting and clutch are smooth and easy. You know, you’re not 35 yrs old anymore.’

I visit this site regularly. It’s very comforting during this period. I keep checking in, it’s very habit-forming. My wife asks ‘Are you looking at those car sites again. Just find out when we’re getting a car!’ I think I upset her a little when I said ‘I like some of these online car forums and I think I’ll keep visiting them after our car arrives. Kind of like a hobby.’
Old 12-08-2004, 09:03 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
Welcome!!! And I feel your pain about your wife
Old 12-08-2004, 09:03 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL! For one reason or another, I really enjoyed your post.

Anyway, good luck with the new car. You'll love the TSX.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:35 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
We have a few older members here who have a very high post quality and are entertaining as well. I'm looking forward to read you more.

Good luck with the TSX, and no, you won't miss the 85 Jetta, lol!

Old 12-09-2004, 06:36 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck with the wait. It is funny, when buying the TSX for my wife, I looked at the exact same cars that you had on your list. We drove them all and I let her pick. She went for the TSX and I saved a bunch. I am sure you guys will love it.

-GT