Northeast people, do you think we'll have a rough winter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 10:30 AM
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iamhomin
The TSX is great in snow actually, and I had little to no trouble getting by in the past two winters.
The comment "great in snow" is relative to how MUCH snow and ice and slush the driver is driving in.

So a NJ person saying that they are great in NJ probably is a good comment for someone from the NJ area.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:45 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cusetsx
I live in the Snow belt of Central NY where we on avg get over 150 inches of snow each winter. I drive 100 miles a day (mostly on the NYS Thruway and local highways). It's necessary for me to have them. In fact, I just bought my first set of 16" steelies w/ blizzaks from tireack for $615 shipped.
Syracuse, eh.

I don't know why, but everytime I drive through Syracuse (I always use I-81 going down south - Truck route - I love it), even though it's sunny in Montreal, Toronto and Washington) I always get crappy weather between Syracuse and Binghamton, either snow or fog depending on the season. Sometimes both.

But it's my vacation route so I still love it.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:56 AM
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

Originally Posted by sauceman
Syracuse, eh.

I don't know why, but everytime I drive through Syracuse (I always use I-81 going down south - Truck route - I love it), even though it's sunny in Montreal, Toronto and Washington) I always get crappy weather between Syracuse and Binghamton, either snow or fog depending on the season. Sometimes both.

But it's my vacation route so I still love it.
Well during the winter there's lake Ontario and lake Erie to thank for the snow from Binghampton to Watertown. They are like huge window wipers of snow that go north and south all day long and sometime stall in one area thus reeeeeeally dumping copious amount of snow. So much some times they close I-81 north of Syracuse.

Wave at me when driving through sauceman
Old 12-22-2005, 12:11 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Well during the winter there's lake Ontario and lake Erie to thank for the snow from Binghampton to Watertown. They are like huge window wipers of snow that go north and south all day long and sometime stall in one area thus reeeeeeally dumping copious amount of snow. So much some times they close I-81 north of Syracuse.

I grew up in the 'Cuse and I have to say that Onondaga County has some of the best snow removal in the country, but it still can't keep up with those winters.

I drive through all the time to visit the folks and stop by the Carousel Center to shop with the wife. Went to West Genesee High School, but graduated from Tully.

I love CNY and go back every chance I can get.

P.S. Sorry for the
Old 12-22-2005, 12:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Will do
Old 12-22-2005, 01:02 PM
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

Originally Posted by SSN_FT1(SS/DV)
I grew up in the 'Cuse and I have to say that Onondaga County has some of the best snow removal in the country, but it still can't keep up with those winters.

I drive through all the time to visit the folks and stop by the Carousel Center to shop with the wife. Went to West Genesee High School, but graduated from Tully.

I love CNY and go back every chance I can get.

P.S. Sorry for the
Long live Snowyrcuse!
http://www.syracuse.com/weather/snow/stories/
Old 12-22-2005, 01:41 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

That's a great story. I knew that Syracuse gets more snow than any other city in the country, but that plow is ridiculous
Old 12-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Definitely

Hmm. How about this?

Old 12-22-2005, 02:16 PM
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

That's my street!
hehe not.
yah, but when someone brings up winter tires and/or driving in the snow, you betcha a CNY'r is going to pipe in about REAL winter driving. Do all people around me by winter tires? No, but the smart ones do. It doesn't matter if you have traction control, AWD, or 4x4 if your tires aren't grippin' you're just slippin'.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

I think that may be about what my street looked like after the Blizzard on 1993. Well not that high but we got A LOT!
Old 12-22-2005, 02:44 PM
Not a Registered User

Originally Posted by psteng19
I don't mean to sound elitist but it irks me when I hear someone can afford payments on a $30k car but not $500 for winter tires or the extra $0.20 for premium gas.

It shows that they don't have their priorities set

Flame away
my priorities are fine. i don't have payments for this car, i paid cash. my interpretation of a "tight budget" will be different then yours, just as your value for $500 will be different then mine. in this case i would rather not buy snow tires if they will only be worn down on dry pavement.

although, i do understand your point, and i agree.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:41 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SicK TypeS
my priorities are fine. i don't have payments for this car, i paid cash. my interpretation of a "tight budget" will be different then yours, just as your value for $500 will be different then mine. in this case i would rather not buy snow tires if they will only be worn down on dry pavement.

although, i do understand your point, and i agree.

stopped at sunoco tonight, didn't realize that they jump from 89 to 93....but i have heard that sunoco gas is better. cha ching. luckily i get 5% cash back on all gas purchases.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:18 AM
Cruisin'

Snow..snow..snow...and more snow...

saving the $500 for winter tires means you'll need to replace the OEMs sooner. 4 seasons are not meant for for some of the winters we get in Montreal... we had 41cm ( 16 inches ) in one snow fall, about a week ago.
I have a separate set of steelies and winters for each of the vehicules we own.. I just swap them myself... save the headache of trying to get an appointment to change them, and waiting at the garage for it...

besides, if you plan on keeping your car more than 3 years, your best bet would be to get a separate set of wheels and snow tires...

snow tires offer better traction in the snow, and even on asphalt when its - 10F outside... they may save you from one fender bender or a bad accident... all it takes is one time, and the payoff in time and money of having snowtires becomes apparent
Old 12-23-2005, 12:10 PM
Luke 1:37

I don't know why we are still discussing this topic. If people have been driving in the snow for the past few years without snow tires (in their respective areas) and found that they're able to safely drive around without them, then don't get them. If it snows alot in your area and it makes the roads dangerous, then get them.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:45 PM
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

Originally Posted by virtualbong
I don't know why we are still discussing this topic. If people have been driving in the snow for the past few years without snow tires (in their respective areas) and found that they're able to safely drive around without them, then don't get them. If it snows alot in your area and it makes the roads dangerous, then get them.

I kind of said the same thing already. If you live in XYZ city then ask people in XYZ city if winter tires are necessary. The poster specifically was wondering if this winter was going to be worse than normal. I think if you are at worried about it being so bad that you may need winter tires, then it's like buying a insurance policy for a winter storm. Either you lay down the money for the "just in case" aspect or you risk it and hope for a all-season tire winter for your area.

Where I live it's not a question of when we will get snow or how much, it's a given.