"No need" at 30,000 miles ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"No need" at 30,000 miles ???

The Acura Service Representative was always honest with me, but I wanted to check with my fellow TSX’rs first.

The Rep told me that the TSX does not require any of these services at 30,000 miles.
Replace Radiator coolant (no need)
Replace Spark plugs (no need)
Replace Brake fluids (no need)
Replace Fuel filter (no need)
Replace Differential fluids (no need)

So basically all I need for the (B12) 30,000 miles service is:
Replace motor oil
Replace Transmission fluid (advised to change it but it’s not required)
Replace Cabin filter (AC)
Replace air filter
Top all other fluids
23 points inspection (suspension, exhaust, brakes..etc)
Car wash (complementary)

Please let me know If you guys think that the TSX requires some of the services that he tossed out.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2010, 11:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, he's being very honest and I agree with your service rep.

Although I would replace Cabin filter and Air filter myself..
Old 01-04-2010, 11:51 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Personally, I'd bleed the brakes and replace the differential fluid.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by csun2004
The Acura Service Representative was always honest with me, but I wanted to check with my fellow TSX’rs first.

The Rep told me that the TSX does not require any of these services at 30,000 miles.

Replace motor oil
Replace air filter
Top all other fluids
Car wash (complementary)

Please let me know If you guys think that the TSX requires some of the services that he tossed out.

Thanks
i'd test the brake fluid first. I'd recomend to replace it tho. Huge difference in braking.

Air filter - inspect it first. Pull it out and hold it under sunlight or any good lighting source. if light goes through, don't replace, if it doesn't then replace.
Very easy to do yourself. I recomend to go buy the K&N filter. Buy it once and just clean and relube.

Cabin - same as air filter.

Spark plug at 30K? lol negative.

Coolant - i'd say yea because it's the gunk that's sitting down at the bottom is what you don't see. Do it flush, not a drain, to get all that gunk out.

Tranny fluid - most definately! Mines a MT and i replaced it at 10K and every 15K. i'm a very agressive driver though. But if you havent replaced it at all, do it.

Fuel filter - negative. I'm sitting at 70K and stil have no problem. Been using Chevron and Shell Gas since day 5 mile on the odometer. Plus replacing fuel filter on our car isnt easy. Have to drop the fuel tank to get acces to the fuel filter. And another problem is .... you have to replace the pump. It's a whole unit i believe.

Rotate and balance your tire and also alignment check every 5k mile. Firestone comes in handy for this since they have lifetime alignment for 150 in most area.

Here's what I do to my car.
oil, tire rotation & balance, every 5K mile
alignment every month or 5k mile which ever comes first ( i have the lifetime alignment with firestone and my car is lowered )
Tranny fluid replacement every 15K
Air filter every 15K ( i have the K&N )
Cabin air filter every 30K
Coolant drain & refill every 30K
Coolant flush every 60K
Brake fluid and slave cylinder fluid (clutch) every 30K
Old 01-05-2010, 07:07 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm going to disagree with xaznperswaesonx on the transmission change. You don't need to change it at 10-15k miles. If you want to by all means do so. Not sure what year you have but the MM system will tell you when it needs to be changed. I've been changing the fluid in all of our Honda's at 30k mile intervals and the fluid is still in great condition after 135k miles.

The coolant if you have the newer Honda blue stuff can last up to 100k miles. You can wait until 40-50k miles to replace it.

Air filters (both engine and cabin) are super easy to replace and will save you a ton of money. Check the forums for how to change them.

Brake fluid should be changed every 3 years.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:40 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by npolite
I'm going to disagree with xaznperswaesonx on the transmission change. You don't need to change it at 10-15k miles. If you want to by all means do so. Not sure what year you have but the MM system will tell you when it needs to be changed. I've been changing the fluid in all of our Honda's at 30k mile intervals and the fluid is still in great condition after 135k miles.

The coolant if you have the newer Honda blue stuff can last up to 100k miles. You can wait until 40-50k miles to replace it.

Air filters (both engine and cabin) are super easy to replace and will save you a ton of money. Check the forums for how to change them.

I agree-
Manual transmission fluid does not have to be changed as often as automatic.
The MM showed the transmission fluid check at about 60,000 miles.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I would do the brakes.

Is your car AT or MT? If AT, a transmission fluid change is probably due. I do mine every 30k on my AT.

Also, what year is your car?
Old 01-05-2010, 07:58 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by npolite

I agree with most of the above. It's not 1969, and virtually all automotive fluids (and the respective applications that use them) have improved tremendously (can you imagine running 5W20 oil in anything built in 1969 as an example?). An oil and filter change at 10K miles is common and a recommended interval for many cars (in some applications, BMW's maintenance computer often will push it to over 15K). Coolant and transmission/differential fluid change intervals have increased dramatically, and the big reason a brake fluid change is recommended every 3 years is because of it's propensity to attractive moisture, the fluid doesn't really degrade (unless it's been overheated, but that's a whole different ball game). 30K miles for a fluid change for the AT is OK if you're going to do the one time change, but if you're going to do the 3 cycle routine, I'd say 60K miles is more appropriate. The coolant change interval is I believe also more time dependant than mileage, and I think a 2 or even a 3 year interval is fine for that too, mainly depending on what type of driving is done (as with the brake fluid, it's a closed system).

Of course we all have our own opinions and will do what we think best. And though I'm not a huge fan of the MM "nanny" in the newer cars (hey, I'm technology resistant, what can I say....), I'd suggest that you probably can't go wrong by following it's recommendations in the absence of any other.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Pro

I was incorrect on the antifreeze mileage. It is actually 5 year 60k miles.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Wow, I'd stick with that dealer. He's pretty much spot on with his recommendations. If its a 5AT, you might want to drain and refill the tranny fluid. Its really easy, shouldn't take them more than a half hour or so. Spark plugs are irriduim and should last to about 110k miles.

The air filter is really easy to do yourself. You can go to your local auto parts store and pick one up along with a cabin air filter pretty cheap. I'd definitely recommend doing the cabin air filter. I did mine at about 24k and it was NASTY. I'll never wait that long again. It only takes 5 minutes, and thats if you have a lot of crap in your glove box.

Beyond that, see if they'll test the brake fluid for moisture content. If its bad, change it too. If not, don't bother.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Modding newbie

Originally Posted by csun2004

Replace motor oil
Replace air filter
Top all other fluids
Car wash (complementary)
First, OMG Don't let them wash your car!!! Dealerships have a tendency to install lots of scratches when washing, which are also complementary.

Of all the things he said you don't need to do, the only one I would consider is the brake fluid. Check it first though, you certainly may not need to change it. Doesn't hurt to check right? He's 100% correct on all others he tossed out. You definitely don't need any of them. Those you can do at 100,000 miles and you'll be perfectly fine. (Assuming you're burning good fuel and aren't beating the crap out of your car every chance you get.)

There's no 30,000 mile service, or any other particular mileage. You shouldn't think about your car like that. Definitely inspect components regularly, but your parts have no clue how far you've driven and aren't waiting on your odometer to read 30,000 to fail. Your driving habits and conditions should determine your service times, not your mileage. Look at your filters, they may or may not need to be changed. Your tranny fluid probably doesn't need to be changed, but it certainly can't hurt. And if you're going to change the oil, change the oil filter too. It's the only way you can change all the oil and doesn't cost much.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Pro

like others said, I would definitely check or replace the brakes fluid.

At 30,000 miles your are most likely due for a brake job
Old 01-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I agree w/ the dealer except for brake fluid, as mentioned by others here. Many people don't realize this, but brake fluid, by nature, is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water. More water = lower boiling point = less safe. It should be changed completely every 3 years, completely independent of mileage, to keep brakes functioning optimally, and to keep brake components (specifically the brake caliper piston) from corroding prematurely.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:50 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i'm at 65,000kms and i have yet to:

Replace Radiator coolant (i just top up if i'm low)
Replace Spark plugs
Replace Fuel filter
Replace Differential fluids

i did change my brake fluid because i was installing stainless steel brake lines.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:20 AM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by Itchytoe
First, OMG Don't let them wash your car!!! Dealerships have a tendency to install lots of scratches when washing, which are also complementary.

Of all the things he said you don't need to do, the only one I would consider is the brake fluid. Check it first though, you certainly may not need to change it. Doesn't hurt to check right? He's 100% correct on all others he tossed out. You definitely don't need any of them. Those you can do at 100,000 miles and you'll be perfectly fine. (Assuming you're burning good fuel and aren't beating the crap out of your car every chance you get.)

There's no 30,000 mile service, or any other particular mileage. You shouldn't think about your car like that. Definitely inspect components regularly, but your parts have no clue how far you've driven and aren't waiting on your odometer to read 30,000 to fail. Your driving habits and conditions should determine your service times, not your mileage. Look at your filters, they may or may not need to be changed. Your tranny fluid probably doesn't need to be changed, but it certainly can't hurt. And if you're going to change the oil, change the oil filter too. It's the only way you can change all the oil and doesn't cost much.
The earlier TSX models without the MM nanny actually have 10K mile service intervals, so there is 30K mile service recommended for those (and it's pretty minor). And since probably 95% of the people (the participants in the forum, hell the whole website, comprise a small sliver) of those that drive and/or own a TSX I'd guess have absolutely no interest in checking or changing the "filters" (I assume you're referring to the air and cabin filters). So... in the absence of more or better guidance, a ballpark figure is helpful. And as has been stated here a number of times (and under the recommended service section of the owner's manual), a brake fluid change is time dependent; mileage is pretty much irrelevant (and I'm not sure how you check it. Other than being low, which has nothing to do with the condition of the fluid, there not much to indicate a problem).
Old 01-07-2010, 07:44 AM
Pro

+1 on the brake fluid. It isn't worth the cost to get the fluid analyzed for water content and there is no way to tell how much water is in the fluid as both water and brake fluid start off as clear. It just needs to be drained every 3 years. With one helper it usually takes me about an hr to change it.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by princelybug
Personally, I'd bleed the brakes and replace the differential fluid.
There is no differential fluid on our cars. Our differentials are built-into the transmission.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Intermediate

05 tsx

Hi, I have a 05 TSX with 26K miles on it. I have not done a lot of maintanence, except for oil/filter change every 5K, replace air filter at 15K and I brought a cabin air filter last year and I have not replaced it yet. Do I need to flush or at least drain the coolant and replace it with Zerex G-05? I don't know if coolant change is a mileage or time dependent fluid. Also, how do I test for the moisture content in my brake fluid? I brought the motive powerbleeder kit, but I have not tried it yet because I read online that the universal cap can't hold the 10-15 psi pressure too well. I love my TSX and I hope preventive maintanence will be good for my baby.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Old Guy

Holy thread renewal! Don't worry about testing the brake fluid; no question that you're overdo. The car is 5 years old give or take a few months, and a 3 year change interval for brake fluid is pretty common, regardless of car brand. And I wouldn't fool with the brake bleed if you're not sure of what you're doing (and if the car has been in NH since new, I wouldn't want be the one trying to open and close those brake bleeders)(hello New England winters!!). I'd say pay someone to do it (and do it!). I'm not sure about the coolant. I know I'd change it because of how old the car is, but you may get different recommendations (the beauty of this format). Read your owners manual for more information on the rest of the maintenance items. Oh, and the cabin filter job isn't bad. It's a little awkward getting the glove box door clips undone and reattached, but it's pretty self explanatory. Good luck with your car. I have an 05 with 116K miles on it and it still looks and runs like new with mainly just the recommended maintenance (tranmission and PS fluid changes being the only noticeable extras)(and that's in Mass, so I know all about NE winters).