new tsx vs. used tl, your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 07:37 PM
pi3
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new tsx vs. used tl, your opinion?

I'm about to purchase a new TSX, but the opportunity to buy a creampuff 99 TL at a reaonable price came up. I've test drove both, and aside from the fun factor of the TSX, my assessment is that they are pretty comparable feature-wise.

I should also add that the wife likes the 04TL over the TSX, but a new TL is out of our budget (the TSX just fits our budget)... however a used TL will save us plenty right off the bat, and in the long run I imagine cheaper registration and insurance as well.

We also both like the idea of getting a new car, otherwise we'd get the used TL without question. My only real beef with the TL is that it feels and handles like a large car, and much plainer looks than the TSX.

If you were in this position, which would you go for? Is there any reason to prefer the 04 TSX over the 99 TL, considering that the latter is a much cheaper option? Is it really that much more fun to drive, on a day-to-day commute basis?

(and since this is the TSX forum, I'm to ask in the TL forum as well--checks and balances you know)
Old 07-08-2004, 07:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
The big question here is whether or not the TL comes with some sort of warranty. Honda/Acura cars are reliable, but problems are bound to arise. Plus, be sure to do a thorough check on the car. Creampuff cars aren't necessarily taken care of mechanically so make sure you have a qualified mechanic look over the vehicle before you make a decision.

The final call really comes down to just how much of a savings it is balanced against your desires. If you can deal with the large car feel, less competent handling, and other minor details.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:38 PM
Advanced

had a 03 TL-S loaner when my tsx was in the shop. must admit, not too happy with it, handles like a large car, my sunglass does not fit in the holder (perfect in the tsx), V6 does have power but it gave me about 20 mpg (maybe i was beating it ), the interior looked outdated, full leather seats was the only good feature. Remember that 99TL is 5 yrs old, don't see how that is really comparable to a new TSX, mechanically wise. good luck.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:38 PM
Intermediate

I'd say if you like both cars equally, then decide how long you plan on keeping the car. If it's a long time then I'd probably get the new car .. more warranty time and better resale probably. However, if you're trying to save some $$$, want a bit more power and won't be keeping the car for a long time then I'd go with the TL. Good luck
Old 07-08-2004, 08:40 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if price is similar, i'd take a new car anyday.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:48 PM
such a dirty birdy

TSX has better styling, handling and safety features than a 99 TL. I've driven an 03 TL and my impression was that it was a very nice car - for someone a lot older than me.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:47 PM
Mmmm... tasty.

What everyone else said plus: How much less is the 99 TL than a new TSX? If cost is an issue, than that should surely be a consideration. However, don't forget to factor in the cost of owning the vehicle that may not be obvious: like maintenance (including tune-ups), resale value, gas mileage, etc.

In general, I would think that if a new TSX appears to be an affordable option, that it would be the better choice of the two in the long run due to warranty, fewer maintenance costs since it's new, and due to more modern safety features. Of course, the tight handling is a plus!

Still, figure out exactly how much you can afford and work from there. It might also help to get some insurance quotes now and see how those factor in.

Good luck!
Old 07-08-2004, 10:03 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I wouldn't touch a TL with an auto after all the trouble they've had.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:35 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I looked at an 03 TL when shopping for my TSX....I couldn't resist the TSXs interior over the TLs...
Old 07-08-2004, 11:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX 'R' US
I looked at an 03 TL when shopping for my TSX....I couldn't resist the TSXs interior over the TLs...

I love my family's TL, but my TSX interior blows it away. The TSX's driving dynamics blow the TL out of the water too.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:31 PM
Evil Empire Peon

I'm a new item person, so I'd always get a new car over a used. The warranty alone would make me pay a bit more for the new car.

But that's just me.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:31 AM
Instructor

6 yrs car vs a new car...@$#%# vs worry free
Old 07-09-2004, 01:11 AM
1st Gear

TSX over OLD TL easily

Wassap

Umm...i had a 2000 TL...and something with the stearing wheel happened...and it was costing us like 5g's to fix the problem...soo we decided to trade in for a TSX...which in my opinion handles a hundred times better than the TL...cuz the old TL is pretty dam big...and the acura dealer guy said...its usually the transmission or the stearing wheel that goes first...sooo choose carefully
Old 07-09-2004, 02:07 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
perhaps you could spend the same amount on the TSX And get a one year old '03 TLS. The handling is very admirable and the power is impressive for such a large car and the price. You can easily find one with low miles for less than it may cost to purchase a new TSX.

also, it depends on if you're a "new car" kind of person. I know lots of people who refuse to buy new cars b/c of the devaluation they'll take when driving it off the lot. They'd rather find a used model with a few miles on it than drive a new one. Perhaps even finding a used TSX may be a good option for you.

another thing is to keep in mind your interest rates. depending on whether or not you're goign to pay cash up front for the car, you may have to decide how much you're really saving since with good credit new car sales at acura can get down pretty low while I know locally at my credit union, the best used car rate you can get is about 3.9% for 36 months.

personally I say get an '03 TLS, especially if you have a family with more than one child or perhaps children that are a bit older and need more room. It'd be much more comforatble to fit 4 adults in an '03 TLS than the TSX.

It all boils down to your needs. If you're looking for a sporty smaller entry level luxury sedan then the TSX is for you. If you're looking for something perhaps a bit more sophisticated and targetting an older crowd with a differrent kind of "fun to drive" (due to lack of a manual tanny being my only reason to call it that) factor then go with the TLS. Drive the two and you'll notice the many differences in class level.

fyi: you can find an '02 or '03 CLS with about 35K miles for less than 21K + TT+L. check around in your local autotrader. for CPO (certified pre-owned) you'll be looking at anywhere from $3-4K more. Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:09 PM
pi3
4th Gear

Thanks everyone for your input. I've been going back and forth on this issue all week. Based on your collective opinion, the TSX is the way to go.

There's one fact I left out of my original question, and since some of you brought up maintainance as an issue, I thought I'd elaborate... because it is the reason I find the TL so attractive.

The 99 TL has only 10K miles on it. We know and trust the sellers, and we know that they maintain the car well. So my question is this: is a 5-year old car with only 10K miles going to have the same maintainance problems as a typical 5-yr old car, or will it be more like a 1-yr old car in that respect?
Old 07-09-2004, 12:13 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by pi3
Thanks everyone for your input. I've been going back and forth on this issue all week. Based on your collective opinion, the TSX is the way to go.

There's one fact I left out of my original question, and since some of you brought up maintainance as an issue, I thought I'd elaborate... because it is the reason I find the TL so attractive.

The 99 TL has only 10K miles on it. We know and trust the sellers, and we know that they maintain the car well. So my question is this: is a 5-year old car with only 10K miles going to have the same maintainance problems as a typical 5-yr old car, or will it be more like a 1-yr old car in that respect?
5 years with only 10k.... How was the car used? Only for short trips? Has it been sitting unused for a while?
Old 07-09-2004, 01:12 PM
pi3
4th Gear

Originally Posted by TSX 'R' US
5 years with only 10k.... How was the car used? Only for short trips? Has it been sitting unused for a while?
used only for short trips
Old 07-09-2004, 01:20 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
10k?!?! wow...that 2k per year, I take trips that are longer than that!
Old 07-09-2004, 01:25 PM
Jewdacris!!

Well there is somethign i noticed in your first post....you said the TSX is more fun, to a lot of people that would be a good reason to go with the TSX, especially at a comporable price.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:31 PM
Mmmm... tasty.

Only 10K miles!?!? That's a different story. The engine, tranny, and other driveline components should be a pretty good shape (assuming good care) and could be treated as a 1 year-old car and may not require a lot of maintenance just yet.

On the other hand, that doesn't mean the rest of the car should be! The exterior and interior could show a lot of wear over 5 years. The metal, paint, leather, vinyl, etc. will accumulate a lot of UV sun damage, drying, and other road damage over time especially if it's kept outdoors. Just treat it as a low mileage 5 year-old car sicne the warranty is gone.

One last thing: It's always a scary thing to buy something expensive from someone you know well. I'd personally never buy a car from a friend.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:19 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I chose the TSX over the TL because I prefer smaller cars. I think the TSX would also be much more fun to drive.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:56 AM
Pro

I currently own a 04 TL. My previous car was the 00 TL. When I started to look at getting a new car, and before the 04 TL had come out, I was seriously looking at replacing the TL with a TSX. In my opinion I'd rather have the TSX than the 99 TL. I think i looks much better inside and out. I preferred the ride and handling much more of the TSX. Finally the quality of the interior materials is much better in the TSX than the 99 TL.