New TSX Owner - My Impressions of the Car!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 08:49 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New TSX Owner - My Impressions of the Car!

I took delivery of a brand new 2006 TSX 6-speed (silver on black leather - no navi) on January 6th. Here are my initial impressions:

First, my previous vehicle was a 2002 TL. It was the best car I have ever owned - absolutely zero problems in 4 years! Reliability is a critical factor for me. The TSX promises to improve on this experience, especially in a major area...the fun-to-drive factor. I liken this car to a 4 door S2000. The roadholding and responsiveness are very intuitive. The car seems to anticipate my every move with lightning quick responses. The suspension has obviously been tuned for use on winding European roads.

I do not find the low-end torque to be an issue at all. The car plays mostly in the 3000+ RPM range and the sweet and ultra-smooth motor is happiest in this range. Remember that Honda is a MOTOR company and that years of racing experience are bred into the TSX's powerplant. A bonus is the sweet yet aggressive snarl of the exhaust - truly music to my ears. Wind and road noise are nicely muffled, however the audible exhaust tune is always playing subtly in the background reminding you that the car wants to play. Alternating between 3rd, 4th and 5th on the highway is always a rewarding experience. My concerns about passing power with the 4-cylinder engine, having come from the TL's 6-cylinder, are a thing of the past. Need to pass quickly...drop down a gear or two and go!! Again - very fun to drive!

My TL had traction control but no VSA. On a slushy January day here in Toronto I decided to try out this feature. While entering a 90º intersection, instead of putting on the brakes or easing off the accelerator, I decided to floor it (hoping that I didn't encounter any dreaded black ice). The VSA warning light flashed intermittently as the car tracked perfectly around its intended course with very little drama. It just seemed to keep on pulling safely and steadily. Was I ever impressed!

To me the design of the vehicle is a masterpiece. On the exterior, of particular note, are the sensuous new 17" rims. They seem to fill in the wheel wells perfectly, with the wheels nicely defining the outer haunches at all four corners in a very athletic stance. Silver, in my opinion, is the nicest colour for the TSX because it accentuates the dramatic character line (swoosh) that sweeps along the vehicle's flanks. The simple and elegant door handles with just a touch of chrome not only look good, but have a very high quality feel to their operation.

Inside, subtle touches define the user experience. Little details like the soft rubber inserts in the door pull cavities on the arm rests are a beautiful tactile sensation. I can't believe that Acura paid this much attention to such a utilitarian function. The way the perforated leather of the seats is carried over to the door inserts, the gearshift knob and the steering wheel is also very impressive. And the subtle line that curves around the top of the dash under the windshield and out around the tweeters is a work of art - very tasteful. And, of course, the dramatic brushed chrome trim that wraps around and tapers off into the doors is truly stunning. Other subtle little touches like the raised bumps and the textured feel of the push buttons, the beautiful patterned material on the console and storage compartment covers and their dampened operation, the beautiful blue light glow under the heater controls and the ambient blue light beam from the overhead controls all contribute to a truly satsfying driving environment. The seats are more comfortable than those of my TL and the car feels like a custom-fitted suit designed around my body.

Alas, my only complaint is with the quality of the speakers. To rectify this I replaced all the door speakers with 2 and 3-way JBL units from an older vehicle upgrade. They have very large magnets and deliver beautiful, clear mid and high tones. I disconnected the wiring to the rear parcel shelf woofers and had a JBL BassPro II subwoofer mounted in the trunk so that its controls are available by lowering the right hand side of the folding rear seats. If required I can remove the sub for additional space. However, the larger folding section on the left side of the rear seat is still unaffected and available for use.

Whenever I pass a BMW 325, VW Passat, Volvo S40, Lexus IS or similar vehicle I think to myself what a smart buying decision I made. The TSX is every bit as satisfying, if not more satisfying to drive, and it also comes fully loaded with standard features that would end up costing thousands more as part of the "packages" one has to purchase on these other cars. Plus...and this is a BIG plus, it comes with Acura's renowned obsession for quality and reliability...something BMW will never be able to match!

My advice: Buy a TSX. You'll love it!
Old 03-08-2006, 08:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Very well-written, and congratulations on your purchase. Your write-up makes me even more glad I ordered mine and makes me even more excited to get it!
Old 03-08-2006, 08:58 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Congrats on the purchase.

Oh, and be careful in slippery conditions. I had a run in with black ice that resulted in a totaled car, which was not exactly fun...
Old 03-08-2006, 08:59 AM
Yui
Pro

Nice write up, and congrats on your purchase!
Old 03-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Quattro in.....

Congrats and nice write up
Old 03-08-2006, 09:51 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Very well written. Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted by Fisher
On the exterior, of particular note, are the sensuous new 17" rims.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:56 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja

Congrats and welcome!! Always nice to see more Toronto people around here.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Nice write-up, sums up my thoughts exactly on handling, power, overall design, and build quality. This car is more than the sum of its parts.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:18 AM
Benchwarmer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Other subtle little touches like the raised bumps and the textured feel of the push buttons, the beautiful patterned material on the console and storage compartment covers and their dampened operation, the beautiful blue light glow under the heater controls and the ambient blue light beam from the overhead controls all contribute to a truly satsfying driving environment.
Interesting what you mention about the buttons. Sensory panelists have determined what the optimal "button pushing pressure" is, and in most Japanese (Acura, Infiniti, Lexus) and vitually all German manufacturers the engineers have been instructed to use that pressure when designing their dashes. I believe the number is something like 0.3 lb/sq in will give the driver a satisfying feeling of luxury when he pushes a button! Now try to push a button in a Buick, which has twice the force necessary, and you will notice the difference. Interesting stuff.....
Old 03-08-2006, 10:39 AM
Pro

congrats, and great writeup!
Old 03-08-2006, 12:45 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja

+ 1
Old 03-08-2006, 01:07 PM
Undercover Slacker

Though I'm starting to wish I got the Navi in my 2005 model, I love the car nonetheless
Old 03-08-2006, 01:09 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dalieu
Though I'm starting to wish I got the Navi in my 2005 model, I love the car nonetheless
everyone starts to feel that way one they come here and read about how cool the navi is. Remember that next time you buy a car.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:21 PM
Pink as a pistol

Congrats on the purchase!
Old 03-08-2006, 01:28 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tsx536
+ 1
Oh yeah. And great writeup too
Old 03-08-2006, 01:33 PM
Have camera, will travel

Nice write-up, Fisher, and welcome to the forum! Congrats on the TSX. Believe it or not, you'll like even more the more you drive it.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:46 PM
Undercover Slacker

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
everyone starts to feel that way one they come here and read about how cool the navi is. Remember that next time you buy a car.
damn straight! i wanted the oem navi after i join the boards (which is after i got my car) and started posting and reading about how great it is compared to other navi's. at the dealership, i was actually thinking, "i dont get lost, it looks pretty cool, but i dont know if ill use it."

stupid me, live and learn.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man, Acura should just cut and paste that as an ad. Words like sensuous, textured, and subtle sound too much like PR

Glad you enjoy the TSX. Welcome aboard.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:11 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by t_in_maine
Very well-written, and congratulations on your purchase. Your write-up makes me even more glad I ordered mine and makes me even more excited to get it!
I felt like I was reading something written by my english teacher.

Enjoy your TSX. As time goes on, it keeps getting better and better.......
Old 03-08-2006, 02:15 PM
Race Director

Congrads!!!

Just wondered why didn't u want to buy the current generation TL?
Old 03-08-2006, 03:16 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Congrads!!!

Just wondered why didn't u want to buy the current generation TL?
'Cause the TSX is better!
Old 03-08-2006, 04:00 PM
Instructor

good write up! Congrats on the new ride!
Old 03-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Congrats to your new car but you haven't mention the sweetest manual tranny in the market on your review yet.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:56 PM
Cruisin'

Like you I just came to the TSX world after after considering the Euro cars and the Lexus you mention; the TSX is easily a better value and will should be WAY cheaper to own, especially compared to the Audi and the Bimmer. I've always been partial to smallish, athletic sedans (I've owned a couple Saab 900 Turbos and 320is, and most recently an Infiniti G20) -- right now nothing out there can approach the TSX, especially at its price point. Take a look at what it costs to add leather, Navi, satellite radio, heated seats, and other tasty goodies to an A4, a 300-series, or an S40!

I also considered the TL, but found I'd gladly give up its extra bulk (and its extra horses, alas) for the TSX's agility.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Out n about

Awesome write up! Acura should be listening! My thoughts exactly

PS. If you have pics, please post.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Racer

Wow man!!! Lemme guess....... your either a car salesman or an editor because DAAAAYUm that is some insane review!!!

English or marketing major maybe?
Old 03-09-2006, 03:42 AM
10th Gear

Damn....you must really love the car. I have the same car, 06 silver 6 speed Navi. I was not blown away with handling or power. What really peak my interest is the free 3 months XM radio and comfort. Other than that it's just point A - B. I prefer to drive my 89 CRX with built b18a.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Instructor

Fisher.........What a Prime new owner summary........Sounds like you could be an English major.....:-). More to the point you have hightened the anticipation of my soon to be delivered Glacier Blue 6sp. non navi from Los Gatos Acura here in Ca.
After reading all of the critical reviews and posts you have singlehandedly reassured my purchase decision.

BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2006, 12:25 PM
Revolutionary

Great review, it made me even more anxious and excited to get my 06 6mt that should be here in the next day or 2!
Old 03-09-2006, 12:35 PM
10th Gear

Chompin.....It sounds like you are chompin' at the bit to get behind the wheel (pardon the pun)! Congrats on your purchase and enjoy! And to all the responders to my thread, thanks for indulging me. By the way, I am not an English major or academic. I'm just a guy who loves cars and the English language. One of my life-long dreams is to be an automotive journalist (any publications out there?). The other was to be a car designer. My wife thought I was a bit nuts when, on our honeymoon, we visited Ital Design, Pininfarina and Bertone in Italy. I actually got to meet Nuccio Bertone and Giugiaro!! How's that for a romantic beginning to a marriage?
Old 03-09-2006, 01:16 PM
Have camera, will travel

Chompin.....It sounds like you are chompin' at the bit to get behind the wheel (pardon the pun)! Congrats on your purchase and enjoy! And to all the responders to my thread, thanks for indulging me. By the way, I am not an English major or academic. I'm just a guy who loves cars and the English language. One of my life-long dreams is to be an automotive journalist (any publications out there?). The other was to be a car designer. My wife thought I was a bit nuts when, on our honeymoon, we visited Ital Design, Pininfarina and Bertone in Italy. I actually got to meet Nuccio Bertone and Giugiaro!! How's that for a romantic beginning to a marriage?
This is really refreshing. Love (and proper use) of our language is rapidly becoming a lost art, which is too bad. It's the single most powerful tool at our disposal.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:59 PM
TSX4EVR

Congrats. I had many of the same impressions and was also very pleased how the TSX tracked through the snowy curves.

I know when I drive my TSX I feel like I am driving one of the best vehicles out there.

If you get a chance check out this thread.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...t=27392&page=5

Excited