New TL will continue the trend

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 10:34 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New TL will continue the trend

...earlier in the day I read a thread from Larch, that I can't seem to locate now, in which he was sharing some thoughts of how the new TL will be quite similar to the TSX and wondering if this could possibly be a identity problem.
...if you look at all the sport sedans from the leaders of the genre, you will see a lot of similarities between the price classes, the "family look" if you want to call it that. I don't think thats a bad thing at all, the new TSX and TL will, IMHO, set a new trend for Acura, the TL is an incredible looking car, and the fact that the TSX is definitely its "little brother" can only be good for sales as not everyone will have the money to drop on a new TL, whereas they may afford to spring for a TSX. The fact that the TSX has the look of a TL will appeal to almost any and all who look at it. I am quite happy to see that Acura is trying to define a definite look for their family of cars now, whereas in the past there wasn't always a deciding style that identified them...I think that has changed now, and for the better...just my views on the topic, you guys tell me what you all think!!

Lorne Miller
Old 09-25-2003, 11:07 PM
More On

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I agree with everything you said.

On that other thread, I rambled a bit (no surprise!) and I said quite a few things, including that I wondered if this might be an identity problem. But the main point I was trying to make was entirely different, more of a philosophical and psychological point. (I know, who gives a ------ )

I was mainly just saying that most of the public will perceive the TL completely differently than we do. I'm fascinated by how people with different points of view, and with different histories in a situation, can see things totally differently -- and I think that's going to happen with the TL. We've followed the car through the "revelation" process, and that has given us a certain point of view. Most of the public doesn't know from any of that; they'll just see the car.

Although obviously one can't really predict without having driven the car, it does seem to me that the TL and the TSX will be seen as sort of the same car (which would be unprecedented for two Acura models), and that the TL will be seen more as a variation on the TSX than as a re-make of the old TL. This is way off of what any of us have been thinking during all these months and perhaps it seems like an absurdity, but we shouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be so.