New Surprises.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 11:03 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Surprises.....

I know some have complained about acura not having automatic door locks once you start to drive off like many other less expensive cars do. I for one, was complaining. Found something interesting last night!

If you push the driver door lock down (the door lock not the button), all for doors lock!

Not sure if EVERYONE knew, but I sure didn't and I kinda like it.

GO TRY IT!!!!
Old 08-26-2003, 11:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I have been aware of it for months now. But it's still not automatic locking.

But, I don't really care about the doors locking when I put the car in drive.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:18 AM
Luck favors the ignorant.

Re: New Surprises.....

Originally posted by DjElucid
I know some have complained about acura not having automatic door locks once you start to drive off like many other less expensive cars do. I for one, was complaining. Found something interesting last night!

If you push the driver door lock down (the door lock not the button), all for doors lock!

GO TRY IT!!!!
I am still trying to figure out this whole thing about auto door locks and why everyone thinks this is important.

To paraphrase the Volvo owners manual: The doors do not auto lock in case you are in an accident and need to quickly exit the vehicle.

Since they happen to make one of the safest cars around, I would think they would have a pretty good clue about not adding that feature.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:23 AM
Advanced

I hate auto locking cars...
Old 08-26-2003, 11:28 AM
Pro

maybe not autolock is important, but I think auto unlocking is pretty nice. BUt then again, if it doesn't automatically lock then you wouldn't need it to automatically unlock.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:58 AM

My new Accord has "auto door locks" its no biggy.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:07 PM
Oklahoma Sooners

Are you serious Adam???? I can't believe it duuuuuuude your Accord is sooooooooooo awesome dude ... I need to sell my TSX and get an accord
Old 08-26-2003, 12:08 PM
Intermediate

I think aut-door locks is a good idea. Otherwise, it is one more thing on my mind ... approximately 1,000 times a year.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:11 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE auto locking doors!

last car had them (seven years) and it drove me nuts when i had people in the car. Acura was VERY smart to leave them out.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i forgot what car it was but i was in a car where it would auto-lock when you put it into drive. when you shift back into park, it would auto-unlock...that was a cool feature

but who really needs auto lock/unlock when the power lock button is right next to the door handle!!??
Old 08-26-2003, 12:50 PM
"But they're mine!"

Originally posted by dabuda2004
i forgot what car it was but i was in a car where it would auto-lock when you put it into drive. when you shift back into park, it would auto-unlock...that was a cool feature

but who really needs auto lock/unlock when the power lock button is right next to the door handle!!??
yeah, so when you pull into a dark parking garage, and put the car in park, it automatically lets that strange guy in the mask with the big shiny thing in his hand in the car, even if you don't want to yet!!!! :P
Old 08-26-2003, 01:08 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: New Surprises.....

Originally posted by Skull One
I am still trying to figure out this whole thing about auto door locks and why everyone thinks this is important.

To paraphrase the Volvo owners manual: The doors do not auto lock in case you are in an accident and need to quickly exit the vehicle.
I HATE auto door locks and I can't figure out why everyone wants them. I think they are a safety issue and Volvo agrees.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:40 PM
Drifting

If you want auto door locks, get in the habit of automatically pushing "lock." Auto-locks are such a stupid feature. If this and the "nav won't function when in drive" feature becomes standard in cars, I will boycott cars and travel by bus. Well, not really, but I'll be plenty pissed I can tell you that much!
Old 08-26-2003, 01:46 PM
Pro

WOW, I didn't know there was such a hate out there for auto locking doors.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:53 PM
Racer

Re: New Surprises.....

Originally posted by DjElucid

GO TRY IT!!!!
honda's been doing this for a while. my 88 accord had this feature too .
Old 08-26-2003, 03:56 PM
Advanced

I HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE auto door locks........ I work at a car rental place, and majority of american cars got them.....
Old 08-26-2003, 07:25 PM
Houston we have a problem

I don't really want auto lock, but at least if the door is locked, when you turn off the car and open the door from inside, it should unlock. Maybe like some cars out there which the first pull unlocks and second pull opens. I think that's logical though. Because when you hit unlock button, all of the doors unlock. What if some crook tried to get in from the rear passenger door? That happened to one of my friend!
Old 08-26-2003, 08:27 PM
Racer

I always lock my doors when I start to drive, I've gotten so used to doing it now it's second nature. I've almost gotten used to having to hit the unlock botton before getting out.

I had the autolocking doors in my VW, they were programmed to unlock the second the airbags went off.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:08 AM
Burning Brakes

As long as I can readily lock everything when I happen to be driving through a bad neighorhood, I'm happy.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:33 AM
Banned

Auto locking doors rool. And what's so special about them is that if you "get into an accident and need to escape your vehicle in a hurry"... opening the door from the inside will disengage the lock. So basically the doors are NEVER locked from the inside... only from the outside. This is to prevent crazy bums from jumping into your car and biting you. Considering that I have to drive home through Skid Row everyday... this is would be a nice feature. Otherwise here is my car starting procedure on weekday mornings:

1. start car
2. remove sunglasses from compartment
3. put on sunglasses
4. close sunglass compartment
5. LOCK DOORS
6. fasten seatbelt
7. turn on Stern
8. open gate with patented HOMELINK system
9. put car into gear
10.drive to work

it would be nice if I could skip step #5.

Old 08-28-2003, 12:47 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by Crazytree
This is to prevent crazy bums from jumping into your car and biting you. Considering that I have to drive home through Skid Row everyday... this is would be a nice feature.
Hey! I have the same commute as you...live in SG Valley and work in the heart of downtown LA. How come I've never seen you around? I go for weeks without seeing another TSX.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:20 AM
Banned

Actually I'm over on Vermont... usually I take 2nd Street down to the 10 onramp at Mission.

But lately I have been hopping on the 10 at Hoover and headed straight home... get off on Del Mar. Surprisingly I've seen a bunch of TSX's here in SG... in fact I almost jumped into someone else's Black TSX at Mission Carwash a few days ago... but just as I was about to I realized that this one had a black interior and was a manual transmission.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:35 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Crazytree
Auto locking doors rool. And what's so special about them is that if you "get into an accident and need to escape your vehicle in a hurry"... opening the door from the inside will disengage the lock. So basically the doors are NEVER locked from the inside... only from the outside. This is to prevent crazy bums from jumping into your car and biting you. Considering that I have to drive home through Skid Row everyday... this is would be a nice feature. Otherwise here is my car starting procedure on weekday mornings:

1. start car
2. remove sunglasses from compartment
3. put on sunglasses
4. close sunglass compartment
5. LOCK DOORS
6. fasten seatbelt
7. turn on Stern
8. open gate with patented HOMELINK system
9. put car into gear
10.drive to work

it would be nice if I could skip step #5.

Yeah, but wouldn't it be even nicer if you could skip #10?
Old 08-28-2003, 10:51 PM
Advanced

Hi Crazytree! No wonder I don't see you...I avoid the 10 (I take the 210 - 2 - surface streets to downtown, but used to take 60 - 101 - 1st or 4th street).

I think there's a few of us in SGV...we should try to organize a mini meet. Send me a PM if you're interested (as well as anyone else on the eastside).
Old 08-28-2003, 11:14 PM
Inspired

Re: Re: New Surprises.....

Originally posted by tehCOW
honda's been doing this for a while. my 88 accord had this feature too .
Mine too, coincidence?