New Clear Coat Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 11:31 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Clear Coat Possible?

Hi,
I was wondering if its possible just to get a new layer of clear coat put on and how much it would cost? I'm just asking because my hood has a bunch of swirl marks along with the fenders. Thanks again!
Old 05-15-2004, 03:07 AM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: New Clear Coat Possible?

Originally posted by LaxTSX
Hi,
I was wondering if its possible just to get a new layer of clear coat put on and how much it would cost? I'm just asking because my hood has a bunch of swirl marks along with the fenders. Thanks again!
Why don't you just fix the swirl marks? The Car Wash section of this board has lots of tips.

Fixing has got to be cheaper than trying to re-Clearcoat.
Old 05-15-2004, 04:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

If you clear coat without removing the swirl marks, you will just capture the swirl marks in another layer... and then you can never take them out.

if you were to get another clear coat layer from autobody/paint shop, they (assuming they know what they are doing) will wet sand your existing clear coat layer down to get everything out before adding another layer of clear coat.

but then you are left with the orange peal effect. the effect is not noticed as much coming from the factory, there paint process is a "little" more envolved then an autobody place. the only way to get rid of the orange peal effect is to wet sand, which cost money. so ow much do you want to spend?
Old 05-15-2004, 05:07 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

If you want to shell out bucks to remove swirl marks:
www.groitsgarage.com sells many polishing compounds and tons of DA Polisher options.

Else, get a couple fine terrycloth/cotton pads and apply a fine hand polish or Meguirs Scratch-X.

Follow up with a good application of wax or a liquid polymer like Zaino. Be sure to always use a micro fiber or high quality towel to remove the wax & polish, the 2 are different.

Then use a quick detailer spray for the final touch.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:14 AM
Instructor

Mr Chad's right

Also consider 3M Swirl Mark Remover and a Porter Cable buffer.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:48 AM
Instructor

Hey guys ... thanks for all the excellent advice ... I've always been told that those products just provide a temporary relief and the swirl marks are just gonna show up again after a few weeks. Is this true?
Old 05-17-2004, 10:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

well... I don't think any product out there will get rid of all the swirl marks. they will still exist but just not as noticeable. if you wash your car in a way to minimize (do search hear on how to wash your car) swirl marks, you could extend the time before you start to see "swirl" marks.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:33 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Originally posted by LaxTSX
Hey guys ... thanks for all the excellent advice ... I've always been told that those products just provide a temporary relief and the swirl marks are just gonna show up again after a few weeks. Is this true?
They will come back over time, even if you have the car professionally wet sanded once or twice.

But using tons of wash water and a clean soft wash mit and chamios does wonders to make them appear less.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:43 PM
Boy Genius

Actually, it is possible to get the swirls out through polishing, wish is grinding away a thin layer of your clearcoat so that it is level with the swirls and therefore smooth. Some products just fill in the swirls temporarily so that it looks like they've disappeared, but they're still there and can come back once the product disappears. In both cases, the swirls can come back, so the best prevention is to learn how to minimize the swirls through proper use of products and technique - new swirls can be avoided for a long time.

As for getting out the swirls right now, it depends on how much time, money and effort you want to invest and whether it matters to you to get the swirls out or to just fill them in. I had a white TL that I Zaino'd to fill in the swirls and it was great. I also bought a Porter Cable and helped my brother polish (i.e. grind) out the swirls in his black EL it also turned out great - it took more work, but it was nice to know the swirls weren't there anymore.

Check out the guys at www.autopia.org - I learned a lot from that site. Good luck!