New car buying questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 12:12 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile New car buying questions

I've been considering getting a TSX for a while now, and I've decided that if I'm going to do it, I might as well do it within the next couple of weeks (birthday present to myself, as well as possibly take advantage of the special spring financing that's going on for the month of April (my FICO credit score is above 720).

My family has never bought a new car before (usually at auctions or used). The closest experience I've had was going with my mom when she bought her 2004 Odyssey. After doing a ton of research, I see alot of mistakes that we had done (bought on the spot, no research, etc.)

Anyway, I have a few questions about the process of buying a new car. With alot of posts here about people getting their 06's, I figure it might be good to ask the questions here.

By the way, I want an '06 TSX, 6MT with Navi. I'm leaning towards NBP/Ebony because they look so nice in pictures, although I wouldn't mind RBP/Ebony or CGP/Ebony (or would Quartz be better for CGP?). I haven't seen any up close yet (I want to do my research and pre-financing before I show up to the dealer).

1. How probable would my combo choice be available on the lot or a nearby dealership? I ask this because I'm wondering if I'd be able to get a car soon (to take advantage of the Special Spring financing), or if I'd have to order it and wait a few months.

2A. If I have to wait, would it be better to wait some more for the '07?

2B. If I have to wait, could I lock in the Spring rate? Or would I have to pick a car on the lot?

3. I want accessories for my car (spoiler, oem lip/kit, trunk tray, cargo net). Several of the guides say I should decline any extras that they try to add. Would I better be off declining them, then having the accessories added later on? If I do have it added later on, would there be any problems like needing the kit and spoiler painted?

4. If I do add accessories, would I get to keep any oem parts? Like if the kit replaces some sort of default factory kit...?

5. Should I upgrade the rims, or would I be better off buying aftermarket rims/tires later on? I'm not sure if the 9-spoke rims look good in person (I used to be into fixing up my accord, so looks are somewhat important).

6. I don't mind the engine so much, since I'll be coming from a 140-hp accord. But is the drive-by-wire throttle system annoying? Is it like turbo lag or something?

Other than those questions, I pretty much have everything else in order. The rest of my questions have been found through various searches. Any tips will be appreciated though =)
Old 04-08-2006, 12:36 AM
Cogito Ergo Idiot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good questions. You've thought this out well. Here's my shot...

1. From what I've read in these forums (and saw on two lots)...not very. The only manual-transmission models I saw did not have nav.

2A. Totally your choice. I can't imagine any compelling reason to wait unless ther are features the 06's don't have.

2B. I don't think so. Most financing specials call for purchase from dealer stock. Just a guess though - the answer will be in the fine print. (And I missed 2.9% by two days.)

3. Don't decline anything until you've seen the numbers. I bought accessories at a 10% discount with free installation. Everything is negotiable. I also asked for and received 20% off any accessories for 30 days. There are a few other things we'd like, and I wanted to be able to price shop them before committing. Now I have a benchmark and can look around a bit.

4. If you ask, there should be no reason why you can't keep the parts that are being replaced. The only exception would be if they base the pricing on re-using your parts, in which case they can tell you the "core charge" - or cost for you to hold onto the parts.

5. Totally a personal choice. If I'm going to spend money on rims, I prefer to go aftermarket so I have something semi-unique.

6. I was very impressed with the drivetrain. Granted, we only drove cars with automatic transmissions. However, my frame of reference is a V8 with a few aftermarket enhancements.

Tips? If I may be so bold...

Don't commit to a car without driving it. You may hate the TSX. Chances are you'll love it, but this is a big purchase and I recommend making sure you know exactly what you want. Drive competitors' vehicles if for no other reason than to rule them out.

I mentioned that everything is negotiable. This is true. Within reason. Go into the transaction with the expectation that the dealer will make some profit and you'll drive off happily. By all means, do your research - know what the car and accessories cost . I've bought and sold more cars than I care to confess to, and our recent TSX purchase was, by far, the most pleasurable buying experience I've ever had. When I mentioned that to the salesman, he was kind enough to give me credit, saying, "You didn't expect a free car - that was the difference." In any case, you seem to be on top of the power of the internet, which will give you a great idea of the right amount to spend.

The only other advice I can offer is to negotiate everything separately. Agree on the price of the car before or after agreeing on the value of your trade (for example), but not both at the same time. Likewise the accessories. And the extended warranty. One step at a time.

Good luck and have fun! I'm anxious to hear about your new car.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:16 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am also in the process of buying a new car. Make sure you take your time, shop around, and compare dealers and salespeople. I had one sales guy who was a real ass and basically told me that I couldn't afford the car (based on my appearance, he had not run a credit score or anything). When I asked him for a quote he refused to give me one stating "You need to go to another dealership, get their quote, and then come back here and we will match it." I told him that I was going to be getting quotes from several dealerships and I wanted to know where his pricing was. After several minutes of trying to get a quote, and him refusing the entire time, I finally said good bye. That dealership lost a customer that day.

I would suggest spending some time with the car, I have test driven the car twice now, and plan on doing so a couple more times. Try out the navigation, see if you like it.

And I agree with everything VroomVroom said.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:19 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks guys. Now that I have my answers, I've started requesting quotes for dealers...hopefully I can find something decent asap