NEW 323i vs 2006 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 03:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXforme
To add to this point, I thought that BMW's South African plant won some some award for quality control within the past couple of years. I'll need to find that article.

Found it: http://www.southafrica.info/doing_bu...ng/rosslyn.htm
The quality different between Germany & South africa won't tell on new cars. Go drive on some old 330 & 328 and compare it with 323 or 325, you will know what I meant.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:57 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by ianS
I was a interm on the QA engineering department of a Honda factory in Allision. I saw all the fighting between Japanese management & local management. Regarding the quality control of BMW, once you being a owner of it for 5 yr and hanging with other owners together, you will able to find it out yourself. And BMW also mention in their press that they are badly need to improve the qc on their oem supplier.
Fair enough.

FWIW, I've talked to a number of BMW owners who've not had any more trouble with their cars than Acura owners have with theirs.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TypeRS
so whats ur point? ur still not gonna find one with no options on it, and let alone with similar features the tsx already has for under 30k... heck, i bet u can get a TL with navi for the same amount as tat bimmer with the sport package.

and this is a TSX forum... expect some biased views...but more interestingly, y is it mentioned here instead of in the auto forum of this site?

The problem is here you do not seem to understand BMW outside the US...

Outside the US, BMWs can be found with no options very easily, it is just the US where you will have to order a no option car. In the US BMWs are not sold stripped as a rule, this is the reason 320s and now the 323 exist elsewhere but not here. The one big positive for people who have the option of buying a 323 is mods. You will have tons (albeit some expensive) of chassis, brake and cosmetic mods and (not sure about Canada) but forced induction will be plentiful. I have seen some wicked Euro 320s that were they here I would be concerned about doing a track day with them in my M3 least I might wanna debadge for for the next session...
Old 09-29-2005, 07:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by F23A4
BMWs (particularly the 3-series) always have seemed lite in HP/TQ compared with their competitors but that nevers seems to correlate to it's actual performance numbers (which are typically impressive given how things appear on paper).
In the past it has had a lot to do with their torque curve or should I say plateau, if you compare the area under the torque or horsepower trace it was often clearly larger than many of the competitors. This margin has decreased as other manufacturers are building better engines with high tech that catches or sometimes surpasses this.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:40 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by kenzo
I've owned about a dozen new Acuras / Hondas, made in the US, Japan and Canada.

So far...

The Honda models with the most production line defects are made in Canada.
Are you implying that Canadians can't make good quality cars? j/k.

I don't care about the 323 anyways, it isn't offered here in the USA.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:57 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dmbfan36_23
And the BMW is rear-wheel drive which sucks in the snow...
Have you ever actually driven a RWD BMW in the snow with snow tires? I have and found it to be a very competent winter car. On summer tires it was useless as is my wife's A4Quattro on summer tires, but with four snows both are winter demons.

A poor winter vehicle is very often a function of improper tires.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:17 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by bbbradley
Have you ever actually driven a RWD BMW in the snow with snow tires? I have and found it to be a very competent winter car. On summer tires it was useless as is my wife's A4Quattro on summer tires, but with four snows both are winter demons.

A poor winter vehicle is very often a function of improper tires.
This exact sentiment has been voiced by Bimmer owners at various BMW sites. I think the RWD in the snow thing has been overblown. Snows make all the difference.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:01 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Are you implying that Canadians can't make good quality cars? j/k.

If he is he has no idea what he's talking about. Canadian plants win quality awards every year. Which is why Toyota decided to build their new plant in Canada and not the US.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by ilitig8
In the past it has had a lot to do with their torque curve or should I say plateau, if you compare the area under the torque or horsepower trace it was often clearly larger than many of the competitors. This margin has decreased as other manufacturers are building better engines with high tech that catches or sometimes surpasses this.
Correct! And that's why, people shouldnt read too much into the peak HP numbers.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:11 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ilitig8
Agreed. This is one reason why the turbo four Subarus are so fast even with moderate 'peak' HP numbers; most of that peak HP rating is available over a wide RPM range.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:44 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason
The TSX KILLS every 3-series (when money is factored in).
Everyone always compares their TSX or TL to BMW .....I was originally in the market for a TL but realized it was out of my price range for what i wanted. I then looked at the TSX and drove it and realized it was a good car for the money, till I drove a loaded VW jetta 2.0T....same price as a TSX but better performance and handling. If you wait a few months I believe they will also come with Navi.....just another option out there for a car i think is being overlooked when it comes to value.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:53 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Jetta is a joke compared to the TSX. Why not buy a Civic?
Old 10-01-2005, 04:33 PM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Yes, the Jetta might compare on the surface, but get past the first couple of years and the advantage of the TSX will become obvious.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:29 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason
The Jetta is a joke compared to the TSX. Why not buy a Civic?
Well the jetta 2.0T out performs the TSX in almost every area and the quality of the interior i find is equal or a little better than the TSX (seats are more supportive).
The 2.0T was rated the best engine in its category for 2005 (which is also used in the Audi A4) and BMW took 1st in 6 of the 12 categories.
As far as reliability goes the new jetta has been getting good reviews along with the TSX, but just from listening to the different threads here about all the squeaks,rattles and vibrations that the TSX and TL have it doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the car that I first had.
The new jetta and passat have been getting great reviews and are said to have jumped a class into these line of cars......so to say its a joke to a TSX!! Well I hope acura excecutives don't have the same outlook on the compitition as you do, because thats how a car line starts its downfall.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:24 PM
Pro

i owned the last generation jetta. very nice car, however they are infamous for being known as a car that sits in the shop!

i would take any car with rattles and what not over a jetta that will have transmission issues, engine issues, etc. Ok, maybe things look good now, but wait a little and the stories will come out about their reliability.

i would never compare an Acura to a VW or a BMW! my opinion though.

btw, i think TSX is the best buy for your buck.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:51 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cp3117
Everyone always compares their TSX or TL to BMW .....I was originally in the market for a TL but realized it was out of my price range for what i wanted. I then looked at the TSX and drove it and realized it was a good car for the money, till I drove a loaded VW jetta 2.0T....same price as a TSX but better performance and handling. If you wait a few months I believe they will also come with Navi.....just another option out there for a car i think is being overlooked when it comes to value.
No offence but the Jetta in no way outhandles the TSX. The so called sporty GLI with 18 inch wheels and 225 BridgestonesRE050 got the same roadholding of 0.83 as the TSX shod with crappy 215 M+S Michelin.
From Car and Driver:
"On the skidpad, grip was an unimpressive 0.83 g. We expected more because the A3 we recently tested achieved 0.82 g with all-season meats. On the road, the GLI squeals its tires more than we like, but it never wants for grip."

The GLI suspension has limited performance potential.
Struts in the front and 4 link rear is a primitive design.

Jetta's steering totally lacks road feel. My good friend bought a Jetta and is consistently complaining about the numb steering feel. It must be very bad because the guy doesn't care for sportiness and couldn't feel the difference between FWD and RWD!!!
Old 10-02-2005, 11:37 AM
Racer

Isnt the Jetta made in Mexico?

I know the bug is.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:01 PM
Race Director

Yup, the Jetta and bug are made there, so I don't count into good reliability for these cars.

The Passat is made in Germany.

No brainer picking a Japan made TSX vs. a Mexico made Jetta.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Yep, I read an article about the VW cars now being produced down in Mexico. Quality has gone down.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:05 PM
Turbo + Sound = Hey-pee

Just like how the CL & TL trannies were made in the U.S. for those few years and they kinda went to shit... Japan =
Old 10-03-2005, 08:44 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by cp3117
Well the jetta 2.0T out performs the TSX in almost every area and the quality of the interior i find is equal or a little better than the TSX (seats are more supportive).
The 2.0T was rated the best engine in its category for 2005 (which is also used in the Audi A4) and BMW took 1st in 6 of the 12 categories.
As far as reliability goes the new jetta has been getting good reviews along with the TSX, but just from listening to the different threads here about all the squeaks,rattles and vibrations that the TSX and TL have it doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the car that I first had.
The new jetta and passat have been getting great reviews and are said to have jumped a class into these line of cars......so to say its a joke to a TSX!! Well I hope acura excecutives don't have the same outlook on the compitition as you do, because thats how a car line starts its downfall.

Can't disagree with anything you've said, but I'd have a tough time buying a Jetta simply for it looks Its one fugly car IMO.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:17 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice to find this thread, because I was down to a spring decision of 323 vs 06 TSX, although the 06 CSX with 155hp 2.0L engine (est. 8.0 sec 0-60mph) may offer a car that I'll let the kids drive, and save me $10,000, plus a pile of fuel, insurance, and financing costs.

I've only driven the TSX, and my first thought was that, if people drove this car, Honda would not sell half of the Accords that it does, or that all Accords would be more engaging cars. On paper, however, only a TSX AT driver should feel good about beating a 323.

I thought that US 3's were built in South Carolina, but I was planning to ask, because freight and PDI is $500 vs $1400 tax-in for a TSX! Actually, it's $1400 for a Civic, too, and they build the damn things 20 minutes from where I live; I'd feel that I wasn't getting scammed if I paid the same $1400 for the Japanese-built CSX/TSX.

I've seen enough 325's/328's with snowtires that can handle the snow, but, as winter approaches, I have pretty much come to the conclusion that sophisticated engineering/traction control and stability programs will NOT be able to compensate for a wife and two daughters who have little interest in trying to understand the implications of the phyicics involved in getting from A to B, in the snow. Plus, a few years with a minivan have taught me that I do a lot of driving on two lane roads, and that there is always another string of minivans in front of me, with drivers who are obviously trying to save some fuel - and I'm thinking that the 323 is going to run out of breath in the middle of a pass.

There are two other performance details about the 323 that haven't been mentioned. The 323, with considerably less torque than the 325, also has gearing that is 10% talling in 1st, and 9% taller in second, than the 325. Published 0-100km is 8.0 seconds, vs 7.1, although fuel economy figures have not been listed on bmw.ca. Lacking all the numbers, I looked at bmw.co.uk, and found that the 2.5L engine there has a significantly wider, and more powerful, useful powerband. Peak hp is 218 @ 6500, vs 174 @ 5800, and peak torque is 183lb-ft @ 2750, vs 170 @ 3500. I don't care iff BMW is using SAE 04 to rate its engines, but what they are offering to Canadians, in the 323, sounds like a dog, for people who would rather drive a BMW for the sake of driving a BMW.

I am looking forward to some test drives.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gdcwatt
Nice to find this thread, because I was down to a spring decision of 323 vs 06 TSX, although the 06 CSX with 155hp 2.0L engine (est. 8.0 sec 0-60mph) may offer a car that I'll let the kids drive, and save me $10,000, plus a pile of fuel, insurance, and financing costs.

I've only driven the TSX, and my first thought was that, if people drove this car, Honda would not sell half of the Accords that it does, or that all Accords would be more engaging cars. On paper, however, only a TSX AT driver should feel good about beating a 323.

I thought that US 3's were built in South Carolina, but I was planning to ask, because freight and PDI is $500 vs $1400 tax-in for a TSX! Actually, it's $1400 for a Civic, too, and they build the damn things 20 minutes from where I live; I'd feel that I wasn't getting scammed if I paid the same $1400 for the Japanese-built CSX/TSX.

I've seen enough 325's/328's with snowtires that can handle the snow, but, as winter approaches, I have pretty much come to the conclusion that sophisticated engineering/traction control and stability programs will NOT be able to compensate for a wife and two daughters who have little interest in trying to understand the implications of the phyicics involved in getting from A to B, in the snow. Plus, a few years with a minivan have taught me that I do a lot of driving on two lane roads, and that there is always another string of minivans in front of me, with drivers who are obviously trying to save some fuel - and I'm thinking that the 323 is going to run out of breath in the middle of a pass.

There are two other performance details about the 323 that haven't been mentioned. The 323, with considerably less torque than the 325, also has gearing that is 10% talling in 1st, and 9% taller in second, than the 325. Published 0-100km is 8.0 seconds, vs 7.1, although fuel economy figures have not been listed on bmw.ca. Lacking all the numbers, I looked at bmw.co.uk, and found that the 2.5L engine there has a significantly wider, and more powerful, useful powerband. Peak hp is 218 @ 6500, vs 174 @ 5800, and peak torque is 183lb-ft @ 2750, vs 170 @ 3500. I don't care iff BMW is using SAE 04 to rate its engines, but what they are offering to Canadians, in the 323, sounds like a dog, for people who would rather drive a BMW for the sake of driving a BMW.

I am looking forward to some test drives.

And BMW like to use a high final drive ratio to boost up the 0-60 time on their low end model such as 3.14 on E46 325 when 2.93 on a E46 330. Which is one of the reason why 325 use more gas then 330. So only go for the top of the line of BMW otherwise stay with TSX.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:24 PM
Racer

I forgot to mention the BMW "paint tax" is $1,000, here in Canada, unless you want your car red.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gdcwatt
I forgot to mention the BMW "paint tax" is $1,000, here in Canada, unless you want your car red.
Wasn't it only $700? And it is only apply to the econ model... 3 series only(hm.. dunno how about X3). And you can choose Red, White & Black.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:33 PM
Racer

Well, it was the 323 that I was talking about, and true, the paint tax is for the "metallic" colours, but I'm leaning toward blue - which is one of the metallic colours - but my recollection is that bmw.ca listed this privillage at $800, plus $120 PST & GST, which is... a grand, as far as negotiations go.

The BMW 323 might also appear a bit undertired, on stock 205/55-16 rubber - the new Civic sedan comes with that size tire, although the Honda weighs some 500lbs less. So it's vulnerable in the twisties, too, and probably in braking.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:08 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ianS
And BMW like to use a high final drive ratio to boost up the 0-60 time on their low end model such as 3.14 on E46 325 when 2.93 on a E46 330.
That's a high final drive ratio? Are you talking just the final drive gear or the overall combined overall ratio in top gear?

Anyway, there's a tradeoff between fun and economy with this. I found the previous E46 325 to be geared perfectly -- it probably runs very similar rev's in top gear to the TSX, maybe just shy of 3000 RPM at 70 mph.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:28 PM
Racer

For the 323 and 325, the final gear ratio is 3.23; it's 3.15 for the 330. All numbers are for manual transmissions.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:28 PM
Burning Brakes