New 3 Series

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 11:02 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 3 Series

Anyone drive one yet?

How does it compare to the TSX?

Is their Nav unit better than that in the 5 Series, which wasn't intuitive or friendly to operate?
Old 05-19-2005, 11:25 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Many auto mags that have test driven the 3 series say the Nav on the next 3 is friendlier than the 5 and the 7.
The next 3 in person looks a lot better than in the magazines!!
Old 05-19-2005, 11:44 PM
HOWARD911S

how does new 3 compare to tsx..? course better. If not in reliability but definitely out accelerate us, base 325 is 215 hp inline 6...you get what you pay for....not to bash tSx that i own one myself and loving it... but head to head if body are in stock version.. new 3 has the upperhand for sure
Old 05-20-2005, 12:08 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Howard911s
but head to head if body are in stock version.. new 3 has the upperhand for sure
Yeah, maybe, but still, the 3 still has a good 5K on the TSX as well... I went to the BMW dealer yesterday, and I'm not a fan of the new car, though I didn't get to drive it. I loved the old 3's classic yet gorgeous lines, but the new one... ick.
-rpc
Old 05-20-2005, 01:24 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rpcmx
Yeah, maybe, but still, the 3 still has a good 5K on the TSX as well... I went to the BMW dealer yesterday, and I'm not a fan of the new car, though I didn't get to drive it. I loved the old 3's classic yet gorgeous lines, but the new one... ick.
-rpc
The 3 series Nav is going to be easier to operate than the 5 series and the 5 series nav is going to be easier than the 7 series. The "i-drive" that the BMW's now use is simplified as you go down the line. I can't really say that the BMW's navigation is better than Acura's though. I think the Acura Nav system wins hands down. It's got every feature i've thought of using so far.

As for the bmw, a bmw is still German and although it will drive like a German sedan, you will get other things that come with it as well.
I drove a 540 before i bought the TSX. It's an upward of $60,000 car new depending on the features.
When the car was new, and before things started breaking. Everything was cool.
In only the few years i've owned the car, the radiator has gone out twice, subsiquently the forum folks suggested getting the water pump and resevoir replaced too since those usually go at about the same time as the radiator.
Then the driver's side rear passenger window broke too. It rolled down, i heard something plastic snap, and the window wouldn't roll back up. Then after the break in period, the vanos valves started to make a noise like an empty can on start up. It made the car sound like a loud rattling paint spray can on startup.
Then a few months later, the power steering pump started to make a hissing noise in the summer months when it got warmer. Then not only that, but i was made aware that the control arm bushings and the thrust arm suspension bushings were going to need to be replaced at 60,000 miles then every 60,000 miles afterwards. Otherwise, the car will have a front end shimmy and will be all over the place on the highway. Then upon further research on the forums, the higher mileage 5 series also needed head gasket replacements after a while, otherwise the catalytic converter will be damaged and repairs can climb in excess of thousands. Then in the interior, the cupholders would be basically broken the whole time. I didn't even bother trying to fix them anymore after a while. Then a while after that, the pixels in my dash board started to go out, and shortly after my A/C control unit started to function. The lights that controlled the A/C would move when i hit the button, but the fan speed and temperature never changed.
This was back with the e39 (1997-2003) 5 series.
I've heard even WORSE nightmares with the new 04's that came out.
Have you read about the "active steering" feature? there were a few members on the forums that had some scary stories about that. That active steering is virtually controlled by a computer. This one time while on a highway offramp goign through a turn, the computer "locked up" because on his computer screen on the dash said "system error" then all of the sudden the steering wheel froze. YES! That's right! Literally froze! Scared the shit out of him! (luckily this was later at night and there were few cars nearby).
So he took it into the dealership the next day and they updated his software. Then all of the sudden his power mirrors stopped working.

Of course, when everything on my 540 was running perfect, the car was a blast to drive! Smooth on the highways, screaming through twisties, burning ricers with my 300hp V8.

Although most of my issues were covered under warranty in the beginning, i didn't want to keep this car long past it's warranty period. That would've cost me an arm and a leg to upkeep. Plus i was getting sick of the $60-80 oil changes, plus upcharges on alignments because my car was a BMW.

I figured for $60,000, you'd have a much better car. But i guess i'm wrong... the mercedes have even more problems than the BMW;s.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:41 AM
Arctic Blue Pearl

German VS Japanese... Id give it to Japanese. I was once told, that the the difference between German cars is that they build their cars with the best materials but their fit and finish is sub par. Japanese Automakers use mediocre materials but excel in fit and finish. Id say Lexus' fit and finish is best around by far...IMO
Old 05-20-2005, 05:19 AM
Hondaholic

Originally Posted by rpcmx
the 3 still has a good 5K on the TSX as well...
The TSX, even with Nav and 5AT, can be had easily under $30K. The new 325, optioned like a TSX, is easily well over $40K......

The new IS250 might prove to be a better competitor $$ wise/value wise........
Old 05-20-2005, 06:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tsos
Anyone drive one yet?

How does it compare to the TSX?

Is their Nav unit better than that in the 5 Series, which wasn't intuitive or friendly to operate?
Yeah, I drove the 330i auto last weekend with a buddy looking for a new car. That thing HAULS!!! The interior is minimalistic... normal for BMW, MANY great features inside. Handles as good if not better than my lowered TSX, but the trunk is TINY!!!! Hate the dashboard on the BMW... its just awful. Seats have a million adjustments and the push button start is really nice, but you still have to plug the key box into the car, so why not just use a key... I mean.. security sure, ease of use, not any easier than a normal ignition.

Anything else you want to know??
Old 05-20-2005, 08:05 AM
Instructor

I think the new 3 series is ugly. The current version looks much better.

and I agree that while the three may be better (technologically speaking), it is wayy more expensive for what you get. You're still paying for that BMW badge.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:00 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i hate it too (the bangle designs, not bmw). $40k for a 325 is SO not worth it, for me anyway.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:05 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

I like it, except for the back. I also like that they made it slightly bigger.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:52 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Alin10123
The 3 series Nav is going to be easier to operate than the 5 series and the 5 series nav is going to be easier than the 7 series. The "i-drive" that the BMW's now use is simplified as you go down the line. I can't really say that the BMW's navigation is better than Acura's though. I think the Acura Nav system wins hands down. It's got every feature i've thought of using so far.

As for the bmw, a bmw is still German and although it will drive like a German sedan, you will get other things that come with it as well.
I drove a 540 before i bought the TSX. It's an upward of $60,000 car new depending on the features.
When the car was new, and before things started breaking. Everything was cool.
In only the few years i've owned the car, the radiator has gone out twice, subsiquently the forum folks suggested getting the water pump and resevoir replaced too since those usually go at about the same time as the radiator.
Then the driver's side rear passenger window broke too. It rolled down, i heard something plastic snap, and the window wouldn't roll back up. Then after the break in period, the vanos valves started to make a noise like an empty can on start up. It made the car sound like a loud rattling paint spray can on startup.
Then a few months later, the power steering pump started to make a hissing noise in the summer months when it got warmer. Then not only that, but i was made aware that the control arm bushings and the thrust arm suspension bushings were going to need to be replaced at 60,000 miles then every 60,000 miles afterwards. Otherwise, the car will have a front end shimmy and will be all over the place on the highway. Then upon further research on the forums, the higher mileage 5 series also needed head gasket replacements after a while, otherwise the catalytic converter will be damaged and repairs can climb in excess of thousands. Then in the interior, the cupholders would be basically broken the whole time. I didn't even bother trying to fix them anymore after a while. Then a while after that, the pixels in my dash board started to go out, and shortly after my A/C control unit started to function. The lights that controlled the A/C would move when i hit the button, but the fan speed and temperature never changed.
This was back with the e39 (1997-2003) 5 series.
I've heard even WORSE nightmares with the new 04's that came out.
Have you read about the "active steering" feature? there were a few members on the forums that had some scary stories about that. That active steering is virtually controlled by a computer. This one time while on a highway offramp goign through a turn, the computer "locked up" because on his computer screen on the dash said "system error" then all of the sudden the steering wheel froze. YES! That's right! Literally froze! Scared the shit out of him! (luckily this was later at night and there were few cars nearby).
So he took it into the dealership the next day and they updated his software. Then all of the sudden his power mirrors stopped working.

Of course, when everything on my 540 was running perfect, the car was a blast to drive! Smooth on the highways, screaming through twisties, burning ricers with my 300hp V8.

Although most of my issues were covered under warranty in the beginning, i didn't want to keep this car long past it's warranty period. That would've cost me an arm and a leg to upkeep. Plus i was getting sick of the $60-80 oil changes, plus upcharges on alignments because my car was a BMW.

I figured for $60,000, you'd have a much better car. But i guess i'm wrong... the mercedes have even more problems than the BMW;s.

Geez, sorta gives the term "break in" new meaning.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:39 AM
Racer

If I were to get a 325i I would get only sports package, xenons, and a manual..

Price would be 34k.. Not 41k..
Old 05-20-2005, 10:48 AM
Automobile Aficionado

Already made my decision, the 3 series will most likely be my next car or an additon. The resale of the TSX is great and hopefully will stay high. I got to sit in a new 3 series and it is great. Love the look also, but i just hate how BMW gets you on all the damn packages and options.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:58 PM
send me a link to JDM??

I gotta say I really dont like the redesign. The old ones looked good because they didn't necessary look like the "smallest" model. Now you can def tell that the 3-series is the smallest model, the redesign makes it look small.... def dont like it.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:03 PM
Instructor

The back end is fuggly !!!! Ugly redesign case and point.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I scoped one out today, a white 330i. Things pretty sweet, which surprised me, as I didn't like the pics I've seen. I honestly don't really need a sedan, and for the money, I'm leaning G35 Coupe. Oh well, I have another year on the TSX lease to decide. Hmmm...G35 Coupe, Tl, 330i, who knows, maybe a certified pre-owned 05 RL may creep into the picture by then. All I know is I have a year from July to decide. I gotta go check out some more cars.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:44 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Liking the new 3, just as I've loved the new 5 and the presnet 7-series as well.

If they weren't so damn pricey and unreliable, I'd consider the jump.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:30 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
I disagree on the "unreliable" aspect. After all, BMW won the second spot in J.D. Powers initial quality survey, just behind Lexus. And Acura was ranked average.

Pricey? yes. A white 325i with sunroof and sport package would be at 45700$CAD compared to 36100$ for the TSX. No leather or electrical seats. Metallic paint would be a 800$ option. Against a 43100$ TL 6 sp. it might have a case.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:23 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Saintor
I disagree on the "unreliable" aspect. After all, BMW won the second spot in J.D. Powers initial quality survey, just behind Lexus. And Acura was ranked average.
I'm sure I don't have to point out that initial quality does not necessarily equal reliability. You can preach all you want to about the virtues of BMW, but reliability is not going to be one of them; neither BMW nor Audi and Mercedes can claim that title, and that is accepted conventional wisdom. Especially from someone who owns an Audi.
Pricey? yes. A white 325i with sunroof and sport package would be at 45700$CAD compared to 36100$ for the TSX. No leather or electrical seats. Metallic paint would be a 800$ option. Against a 43100$ TL 6 sp. it might have a case.
The 325i is not competing with the TL directly; it's competing with the TSX and on price does pretty poorly. A 325i is much less expensive than a MB S500, but that doesn't give it any sort of case whatsoever. Apples to apples, and in this case, the price crown does not go to BMW no matter what kind of case you make.
-rpc
Old 05-21-2005, 11:43 AM
Banned

Actually a 325i *IS* competing with a TL; in a comparo in C&D last year, a 325i won the 2nd spot and the TL the 3rd.
http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

Reliability of BMW are FAR from being as bad as some like to claim in the first 4-5 years.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:59 AM
Moderator Alumnus

You know very well that J.D.Powers' survey is not about reliability. It's not even about absolute initial quality. It's about perceived initial quality. And perception is very relative to each company's purchasing demographics.

If you want reliability surveys, I'll show you some, and it's not good news for BMW.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/11/08/pf/a...o_reliability/

http://www.wheels24.co.za/Wheels24/N...568337,00.html

http://www.helpfulhomeideas.com/car-...liability.html

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosins...b01-328882.htm

Need more?
Old 05-21-2005, 12:08 PM
Banned

Here is an extract an extensive survey at Consumer Report

1997 Model Year - (Eight-year-old vehicles)
Best Asian model Best American models Best European model
Lexus LS400 Mercury Cougar BMW 3 Series
Problems/100 vehicles 25 65 98

http://cdn.consumerreports.org/static/0504nat0.html

Not as bad as some would like to think...
Old 05-21-2005, 12:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Yes, but it's only the best EUROPEAN model. There's nothing positive there when you consider that European models as a whole are pointed at for worst reliability.

It only makes them the best among the losers.

Look at the numbers you've posted: Lexus LS400: 25 problems per 100 vehicles.

BMW: 98 problems per vehicle.

That's no twice as many problems, not three times, THAT'S FOUR TIMES as many problems than a Lexus.

What's more, you're looking back to 1997, 8 years ago. Since then, reliability has been renowned to have dropped even more!

"Not as bad as some would like to think..." I think that's pretty bad as it is already!
Old 05-21-2005, 12:54 PM
Banned

What is the industry average? Much higher than 98. Lexus is an isolated case and NOTHING compares to it...

Most bests overall are between 65-85. So the difference is... minimal. BMW has an excellent reputation for reliability in Europe. So do Porsche. Mercedes is drifting. Audi continues to play hide and seek.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

What is the industry average? Much higher than 98. Lexus is an isolated case and NOTHING compares to it...

Most bests overall are between 65-85. So the difference is... minimal.
But you are still based on 1997 numbers and those don't reflect today's numbers. A contemporary 3 series will have more problems in 8 years than those 97 models today.
BMW has an excellent reputation for reliability in Europe. So do Porsche. Mercedes is drifting. Audi continues to play hide and seek.
No they don't. Some of those links I've quoted you are European source.

At any rate, even though they were considere reliable proves nothing but one point: They have their heads up their asses. Just like North Americans who swear, live and die by Big 3.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:13 PM
Banned

That is not true. The E46 has a much better reliability reputation than the E36 ('92-'98) ever had.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

You seem to be right about this. This site is pointing your way: http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/ca...28339010848601

However, the base of the argument is still that European cars are the worst at reliability scores, and that includes BMW. Even if the 3-series is the best among the worst.

That still doesn't make them reliable cars. Fact is, they aren't. And you have to pay up a hell of a premium for a car that will drain your pockets dry over time because of it's high-repair, high-maintenance costs. And repair costs, at least to me isn't calculated in the repair bill. I also need to deduct the time I spend at the dealership getting the car repaired, time I can't spend on the road where I make my living
Old 05-21-2005, 01:35 PM
Drifting

Notice that's for new cars. That's for cars under a year old.
You can ask any of the Hyundai owners out there, although it has a 10yr/100000 mile warranty, here's what i've gathered from previous owners.
Although you have this long assed warranty, after a little bit, having to go into the dealership every couple of months starts to become a PITA. After a while, you just feel like selling it. Once you sell the car, over half of that 100,000 mile warranty is not transferrable. So it's more of a gimmick if you ask me.

Same goes for the BMW ratings on that webpage, it's still only for cars that are under a year old. Check out the numerous problems i had with my brand new 5 series. The problems didn't come out until the car was well broken in about a year later.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:38 PM
Drifting

"initial quality" is just what it says it means. "Initially" out of the factory. That does not say anything for long term reliability.
You say BMW won the 2nd spot? I believe kia or Hyundai won the first spot.
Dont tell me that you believe that Korean brands actually have the #1 in quality ratings throughout all the brands.

My friend had a Korean brand car and it was all fine and dandy for the first year or so, then a little later, everything literally just about went out at once. Month after month, there were appointments after appointments at the dealership. After a while, he just decided to sell it. Then all of the sudden his 10yr 100000 mile warranty was non transferrable to the new owner. Part of it is, but i believe it's only less than half.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:38 PM
7th Gear

Measuring reliability is not an exact science...

[QUOTE=sauceman re European vs. Japanses cars] You seem to be right about this. This site is pointing your way: http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/ca...28339010848601

The Reliability Index from the UK is an attempt at being reasonably precise because (if you read the fine print) it incorporates both frequency of repair and tracks the cost of an average repair. That's good, but the index doesn't appear to weight repairs by severity.

Consumers Reports calculates its *overall* reliability by weighting for engine and tranmission problems more heavily than it weights trim problems, on the sensible basis that loose trim won't maroon you at the side of the road. But it fails to track repair costs, a serious flaw which makes the CR data Not Acceptable IMHO. And it says nothing about the frequency or cost of routine maintenance. The cost of replacing front brake pads on a VW/Audi is twice what it is on a Honda/Acura because the VW's rotors have to be replaced at the same time.

A good index would track the "total cost of ownership" or at least the total cost of routine maintenance and repairs, and it would have a large enough sample to be statistically valid. It would also have some sort of weighting for severity of repair, like CR currently does.

Maybe someone does that for the car makers, but there's no published index of that sort, as far as I know. Based on posts on the Consumers Reports forum, CR is apparently thinking about it, although it would take time to build and would cost them some money.

Do your part -- encourage CR to do this work!
Old 06-09-2005, 06:24 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE=msandman]
Originally Posted by sauceman re European vs. Japanses cars
You seem to be right about this. This site is pointing your way: http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/ca...28339010848601

The Reliability Index from the UK is an attempt at being reasonably precise because (if you read the fine print) it incorporates both frequency of repair and tracks the cost of an average repair. That's good, but the index doesn't appear to weight repairs by severity.

Consumers Reports calculates its *overall* reliability by weighting for engine and tranmission problems more heavily than it weights trim problems, on the sensible basis that loose trim won't maroon you at the side of the road. But it fails to track repair costs, a serious flaw which makes the CR data Not Acceptable IMHO. And it says nothing about the frequency or cost of routine maintenance. The cost of replacing front brake pads on a VW/Audi is twice what it is on a Honda/Acura because the VW's rotors have to be replaced at the same time.

A good index would track the "total cost of ownership" or at least the total cost of routine maintenance and repairs, and it would have a large enough sample to be statistically valid. It would also have some sort of weighting for severity of repair, like CR currently does.

Maybe someone does that for the car makers, but there's no published index of that sort, as far as I know. Based on posts on the Consumers Reports forum, CR is apparently thinking about it, although it would take time to build and would cost them some money.

Do your part -- encourage CR to do this work!
Total cost of ownership = intellichoice.com or their new magazine

5 year ownership cost TSX MT = $32673 BMW 325 (E46) =$33791

Include depreciation, financing, insurance, state fees, fuel, maintenance and repairs. The fact the 325 gets maintenance included in initial price for 50K of the 70K they project over the 5 years helsp it considerably.

Vandy
Old 06-09-2005, 06:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by savageTL
Vandy
Didn't you previously have another account under Ilitig or something like it?
Old 06-09-2005, 07:54 PM
Goldmember

The old BMW used to look like a bull in the front. Very agressive and angry looking. Now the lineup look like beetles. Angry samarai beetles or maybe dung beetles.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:10 AM
Pro

Using Edmunds, the True Cost to Own (5 yrs) for similarly equipped vehicles

2005 TSX = $41,037 ($0.55/mile)
2005 BMW 3 = $47,288 ($0.63/mile)

Just another data point.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:35 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I love it when trolls get

Honestly, the BMWs are way too expensive for what they are. They are nice cars, but with their horrid interiors and Bangle-ized exteriors, spotty reliability records, and substantially higher price, they really don't look that appealing to me...
Old 06-10-2005, 10:54 AM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by swami
I scoped one out today, a white 330i. Things pretty sweet, which surprised me, as I didn't like the pics I've seen. I honestly don't really need a sedan, and for the money, I'm leaning G35 Coupe. Oh well, I have another year on the TSX lease to decide. Hmmm...G35 Coupe, Tl, 330i, who knows, maybe a certified pre-owned 05 RL may creep into the picture by then. All I know is I have a year from July to decide. I gotta go check out some more cars.
Have fun deciding.

I've got to say that the 330i was the most impressive out of my considerations from a driving perspective. It handled and drove better than all I test drove including the G35.

If 4-doors are not a necessity, ever consider a used E46 M3?

Back on topic: The 325i is VERY nice and probaly out handles, accelerates, and out-everything the TSX does driving-wise. However, being a design engineer, I would NEVER buy a 1st year model anything. Wait for BMW to work out some bugs and design flaws. After that, come up with an additional 7k-10k for the pricetag.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Burning Brakes