The nerve of some people...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 07:48 PM
TSX User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The nerve of some people...

Ever since getting my TSX, I have been high-beamed more times than I care to count. However, today some cawk-smokin' SUV driver had the nerve to high-beam me. A GMC Yukon, I believe it was.

I was gonna high-beam him/her back but thought that my halogen high-beams may actually be less-blinding.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:24 PM
tsx's4playinwith

Thatss truee... the highbeam seems alott less blinding then the sweet HIDs ..When i use to sit in another car with halogen lights, and have some blinding HIDs comming at me, i wouldd hateee it. But now that I have them to the less unfortunate
Old 02-13-2006, 08:28 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flash them back. The hights will be aimed at them compared to the hids so it'll be a lot brighter to them. They then find out that they were being dumb.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:50 PM
2010 6MT non-tech

i've found that i get flashed when i go home to upstate new york (where ford/GM/etc rule), but here in DC, nice cars with HIDs are a dime a dozen
Old 02-13-2006, 09:35 PM
Benchwarmer

I've often wondered when people flash you when you have HID's if they they think you are driving with the high beams on or if they just don't like your lights. Either way, a blast right back at them shows them they were A) wrong, or B) an ass with even less night vision than two seconds before.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:51 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I get high beamed all the time by oncoming traffic when going up a hill. The HID system on our car is not auto-leveled like on most others so it probably does blind people more than it should should when the nose of the car is pointed upward.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:41 AM
G2 TSX

Those jerk-offs in those high riding SUVs are the worst...especially when they are behind you with their left light right into your left mirror. I had some idiot hugging the inside lane go about ten miles in stop and go traffic at night with his stupid fake SUV white bulbs shining directly into my mirror. Well, I turned the mirror, but why was he hugging the line? I have never got flashed, but I had co-workers tell me my lights look damn bright in their rear-view.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Down here it's the Rednecks with pick up trucks that have high lights.........
Old 02-14-2006, 02:42 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

HID's really are incredibly blinding compared to halogens and it took me a while after moving down from cheap car land to expensive car land to realize that people didn't just drive around with their high beams on all the time.

I still do think they should be illegal, and I'd personally never get them if they were optional. But I'm sure I'll start to see things differently once my TSX gets here...

For some reason the Prius's fake HIDs seem the worst to me in my non-dimming side mirrors, followed closely by high-riding SUVs, but the bright blue light of an oncoming HID always makes me slow down cause I can't see. My insanely bad windshield might have something to do with that too.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:11 PM
Got Phó?

Trust me, when you go over those bumps....It looks like you are high beaming someone.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:15 PM
TSX User

Originally Posted by jpt
I still do think they should be illegal, and I'd personally never get them if they were optional. But I'm sure I'll start to see things differently once my TSX gets here...
Once you see how bright everything really is with your TSX Xenons, there'll be no going back.

SUVs are one of many the plagues of society. I recently learned that VW actually raised the ride height of the new GTIs for safety reasons (side impact) here in the US. It kind of makes you wonder how many other cars go through this just to make it to the US market.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Older. Wiser. Faster.

I used to get high beamed a lot too, till I lowered my xenons about 1-1.5 screw turns, and I haven't been beamed since. Haven't lost much visibility, and it's far less annoying.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:32 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by horsetrdr
I used to get high beamed a lot too, till I lowered my xenons about 1-1.5 screw turns, and I haven't been beamed since. Haven't lost much visibility, and it's far less annoying.

Yep. I did the same thing. I lowered the driver's side a few turns and the other side not quite so much. I can see just as well and I haven't gotten flashed since. This board is filled with posts by people who get flashed by oncoming drivers. It isn't just that they are xenons. I've seen plenty of xenons that aren't blinding. In my opinion, the"stock" setting for our headlights is too high.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:41 PM
Guinea Pig

I get high beamed almost every night. I love to high beam them back. It's like,You think that's bright? Then BLAMO!!! Take that bishes!!! Is it wrong to get a kick out of it?
Old 02-14-2006, 06:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TinkyWinky
SUVs are one of many the plagues of society. I recently learned that VW actually raised the ride height of the new GTIs for safety reasons (side impact) here in the US. It kind of makes you wonder how many other cars go through this just to make it to the US market.
And raising an SUV up higher does what when it hits the side of your car? Makes it worse! Damn them!
Old 02-14-2006, 07:31 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
How do you lower the beams??? I read about it and try but couldnt figure it out. someone please explain it to me how?
Old 02-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tony4311
Flash them back. The hights will be aimed at them compared to the hids so it'll be a lot brighter to them. They then find out that they were being dumb.
Either that or they think that your lights are still misaimed AND you flashed them back! You just can't win.

Although, if you do flash them back with the high beams, yes, it is kinda blinding, so I try to resist the urge. Particularly if there are other cars around. It's not right to blind others in order to get revenge. You can dim the lights, but then they might think that you're signalling that there's a cop around. Which actually is OK, maybe you can make them go slower.

Although, whether you dim or flash, if there's a cop around, he might not care that you were flashed first....

I find that I get flashed more when I have the car loaded with stuff. I think it must push the back down enough to tilt the bright line of the lights up just enough. I also don't get flashed in-town, but only on the backroads; I think this is because they look so much brighter contrasted with the darkness.

I keep telling myself it's just the price we have to pay for having such cool lights.

I like the idea of making an adjustment. Even if they were adjusted perfectly, they could always get knocked a bit out of alignment over time....
Old 02-14-2006, 11:08 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
How do you lower the beams??? I read about it and try but couldnt figure it out. someone please explain it to me how?
nvm!!~ I got it
Old 02-14-2006, 11:13 PM
I am Ahab!

Originally Posted by vidgamer
Either that or they think that your lights are still misaimed AND you flashed them back! You just can't win.

Although, if you do flash them back with the high beams, yes, it is kinda blinding, so I try to resist the urge. Particularly if there are other cars around. It's not right to blind others in order to get revenge.
lol true. Also a good point I won't flash back if ther are other cars that will get it.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:12 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i always get high beam too...but maybe i drive too slow?? hahaha~
Old 02-18-2006, 12:43 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Benz_05_TSX
i always get high beam too...but maybe i drive too slow?? hahaha~
are you getting them from people behind you or oncoming traffic?

+1 for not flashing people back when they high beam you. The fact that you aren't trying to blind them doesn't mean you aren't and they aren't jerks for doing it. Many people don't know the difference between HIDs and halogens yet, especially how to recognize them on another car. Moreover intentionally blinding someone who is in nominal control of a moving car, especially when you know they are already having trouble seeing, is dumb and dangerous for BOTH of you.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:45 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by horsetrdr
Thanks for the tip! This is the second thing I will be doing to my new TSX when I get it (the first is swapping out the awful stock tires!)
Old 02-18-2006, 11:13 PM
I am Ahab!

Originally Posted by jpt
+1 for not flashing people back when they high beam you. The fact that you aren't trying to blind them doesn't mean you aren't and they aren't jerks for doing it. Many people don't know the difference between HIDs and halogens yet, especially how to recognize them on another car. Moreover intentionally blinding someone who is in nominal control of a moving car, especially when you know they are already having trouble seeing, is dumb and dangerous for BOTH of you.
well seeing what the high beams look like will teach the the difference, also they already intentionally blinded me.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:46 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tony4311
well seeing what the high beams look like will teach the the difference, also they already intentionally blinded me.
Hmm... well... they'll really know that you are high beaming them if you pay money for the HID kit to upgrade your high beam bulbs to HID. hehehe
Old 02-19-2006, 07:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Slate
Those jerk-offs in those high riding SUVs are the worst...especially when they are behind you with their left light right into your left mirror. I had some idiot hugging the inside lane go about ten miles in stop and go traffic at night with his stupid fake SUV white bulbs shining directly into my mirror. Well, I turned the mirror, but why was he hugging the line? I have never got flashed, but I had co-workers tell me my lights look damn bright in their rear-view.
Ditto...I hate that. Higher-up SUV lights are far worse to me than HIDs on cars. Those damn things are aimed straight for your eyes!! I too have had an SUV hugging the line, shining his stupid lights right into my mirror. I was in traffic, and sat there with my hand covering the mirror...it was the only way I could see. Finally, after about 10 minutes, I think the guy saw me doing that and moved over. It was still bad though. I don't seem to have a problem with TSX lights coming at me, but I have noticed TLs have extremely bright lights that are bothersome to oncoming traffic.