Need some tips and advice on parking TSX in an apartment/condo setting

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 04:02 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some tips and advice on parking TSX in an apartment/condo setting

Are there any TSX drivers here who live in an apartment or a condo, I need some advice and tips on where is a good place to park my TSX. I'm going to be moving to my own apartment because of a new job. But, they don't have any garages available I have to be on a waiting list, so I'm kind of worried and paranoid of where to park the TSX outside all the time. There are no reserved parking spaces, which is a good or bad thing?

So, any tips or advice where I can park the TSX so that I won't feel as worried about my TSX? I'm just worried about being dented and dinged cause it has no side moldings. Would any of you buy a car cover? Any fellow Apt/Condo owners can you please share your insights?

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2004, 04:30 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Unless you can be assured of never having anyone parking next to you, be prepared for parking lot damage. You'll find that most folks park in the same general area and as long as you can tell who's careful with their cars and keep away from big cars/SUVs/minivans (the ones most likely to leave a ding) you should be OK. A cover won't help a whole lot with parking lot dings - and it might actually bring on unwanted attention.
And find out what the complex does during a snow storm - lots of potential for trouble then.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:20 AM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

I'd get a garage or carport of they offer them. (best $20/mo I ever spent) In lieu of that, like biker said, get to know how your neighbors park. Perhaps that'll help.

-r
Old 06-28-2004, 08:09 AM
Littering and.....

For me, I just checked out parking areas that people don't use. Best time is in the morning before everyone leaves for work. My complex is set up with parking lots and parallel parking. Most people choose to parallel park, so it was easy for me to find a good place. I either park next to a building so there is only one space to the side of me, or next to a handicapped parking spot, because there isn't anyone in my complex that uses it. I am also debating getting a car cover because of the winters up here, but some of my friends think that someone will do something to my car because of it.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:42 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

I am fortunate to live in an apt complex with many other paranoid drivers. There are several spots angled such that door-opening room is high - I try to park there. If not, then I park either on the end (curb on the right), or next to this A6 if he's around - his car is more $$ than mine. I've been lucky so far (knock on wood!).

Angled spots:
Old 06-28-2004, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yup, usually i would look for more expensive or modded cars to park next to. these ppl are usually paranoid about their cars and tend to be more careful...
Old 06-28-2004, 08:59 AM
TSX JIGALO

Errr. I think that CAR is a Passat VW
Old 06-28-2004, 09:01 AM
Advanced

car covers are a pain. i got one and tried to use it as much as possible. it's hard for one person to handle the folding, esp when it is very windy. they recommend not to let the cover touch the ground because debris can be attached to it. good luck.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:07 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by JOZMAN
Errr. I think that CAR is a Passat VW
same thing.... j/k by "this A6" I didn't mean the car I'm parked next to in that pic - that's ours.

Man I miss that edit button.. hint, hint... admins...
Old 06-28-2004, 09:13 AM
Instructor

Also unfortunately with car covers if there is any dirt/grit on the car , the cover will pick it up and grind it into your finish...
Old 06-28-2004, 09:47 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

The advice given already is what I do.

I usually only park next to people I know...or next to a car that is more expensive than my car. Get to know your neighbors, see if you can make friends to park next to. I believe that people are less likely to damage your car if they know its yours. Corner spots and spots next to curbs and walls are your best bet beside that.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:36 PM
Instructor

thank you for all your help guys! i just came home from work. my commute is 63 miles one way and over 120 miles a day, so that's why i have to move especially during winter
Old 06-28-2004, 07:51 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
look for a corner spot and park close to the curb. In this case my g/f gets that spot and parks close to the curb then I park almost on the line next to here. We've been doing it so long and its far out of the way people don't take them. If theres one thats farther away and people would have to walk farther to get to the building it's a better chance of being open often....although one ass that moved in lately with dented up alero just for spite....asshole

click me You can see where I'm almost on the line next to my g/f here. That way there's plenty of room if someone parks next to me that way the chances are low that they'll hit it with a door. Plus we can see our cars from our couch which is another big plus.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:05 PM

yup, corner spots work as well...usually drive around looking for these
Old 06-28-2004, 09:15 PM
I'm allergic to bull

Corner and end spot. Stay away from big ass van and coupe.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:44 PM
Instructor

I live in a condo and a bunch of rich old ppl live here also. So I am lucky to have older ppl, who never go anywhere, driving really nice cars. The spaces are big and I always park in the back of the lot anyway. Just try to park away from other cars and take everyone elses advice and you will be fine.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by yuhoo22
.....people are less likely to damage your car if they know its yours....
That's an excellent tip. Make some friends!
Old 06-29-2004, 06:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jcg878
I am fortunate to live in an apt complex with many other paranoid drivers. There are several spots angled such that door-opening room is high - I try to park there. If not, then I park either on the end (curb on the right), or next to this A6 if he's around - his car is more $$ than mine. I've been lucky so far (knock on wood!).

Angled spots:

i saw your picture yesterday and now it's gone today.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:01 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

ya, photobucket is having issues

I have a new avatar too -- x
Old 06-29-2004, 06:14 PM
Battousai the Manslayer

Originally Posted by idx
I'd get a garage or carport of they offer them. (best $20/mo I ever spent) In lieu of that, like biker said, get to know how your neighbors park. Perhaps that'll help.

-r
I got a garage also...best thing i could do.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:14 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Good luck. I used to live in an apartment that had assigned spaces and no garages. The row in which my assigned space was pointed downhill. So, as you opened the door, gravity tended to pull it open harder if you weren't aware of it. Then, my assigned spot was next to this feeble old lady who didn't have the reaction time or strength to control her door. Then, she drove a Chevy Monte Carlo, which I quickly learned had the longest, heaviest doors of any massed produced car in the history of mankind. She constantly dinged the shit out of my passenger side door. When another neighbor moved out, I arranged it with the property managers to change my assigned spot with the newly vacated one. No more new dings. Old lady paid my Dent Wizard bill to fix the ones she had inflicted, they are only noticeable to me now because I know where they were. Man that sucked. But good luck with that!
Old 06-29-2004, 08:37 PM
Drifting

though i have a garage, in public i still park next to the nicest cars possible and toward one line (away from the other car's driver-side door). try to avoid parking next to coupes or other cars that have large doors. park next to people you trust or are cool with. make a pact with a trusted neighbor if you can, that's what i do with co-workes at the office. lastly, the corner spot is always good since it reduces your chances of getting hit by half.

if you're really worried, consider the side molding/trim. it doesn't look all that great, but it just might save your doors.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:41 PM
Drifting

ya, photobucket is having issues

I have a new avatar too -- x
say it ain't so! the o-face is a classic!

-------------------------------------------
tony4311, for a second i thought my car was stolen! the only difference between ours is the rims. rep for you!
Old 06-29-2004, 08:47 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by sleeper
the corner spot is always good since it reduces your chances of getting hit by half.
I used to subscribe to that theory. Now my caveat is that it must be a corner next to a curb, something that controls the angle that cars must take around said corner. I used to park on an open corner at work, until some jacka$$ rounded the corner too tight and clipped my bumper. By the way, said jacka$$ was either oblivious to know they had hit me or too chickensh!t to admit it, so they just drove off. I'm left with a 2" or so scrape completely through the paint down to the plastic. Fortunately, my car is black, the plastic is black, so it's not too noticeable. I haven't and won't get it fixed. Car is 5 years old, these things don't bother me as much as when it was new; plus, I'm sure the minute I fix it, some other idiot will just hit it again.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:53 PM
Burning Brakes

For TSX, always have the rear facing out. Blind people can't see your car if they can't see any red colour...
Old 06-29-2004, 09:15 PM
Instructor

My parking spot has to be the biggest pain in the ass to park in. I live on campus and live in a shitty apartment this summer. I park under the apartment where the entrance is a tough turn to get into and the clearance is about 4 feet wider than my TSX. On the way out I almost hit some car going 30 in the driveway, and I can't see on coming traffic, and to make it worse it's about a 55 degree slope out of the garage. I actually and lucky and the spot I park in has another spot empty near me so I just double park most of the time. The worst part is that I didn't lease out the spot (no one else has it though) but someone can call towing on me anytime. I don't know how the hell they'll end up towning my car, but from what I'm told if they damage it while towing, it's my fault.

Everyone is giving some good advice, but all I have to add to this is... Don't be so paranoid about your TSX, I find it's more of a burden to worry about people dinging and denting your car then to just relax and expect a ding here and there. I came out of costco and saw a shopping cart that someone let roll into my car leave a ding on the front wheel well, and this was a week after I got the car. Just worry about drunk bastards doing serious damage to your car. Good Luck
Old 06-30-2004, 04:04 AM
Banned

I envy you! I unfortunately had apartments with tiny parking lots.. yeup.. door dings and some b*tch even hit my car and took off.. Not a TSX.. this was when my Civic was a new baby .. still makes me upset to think about it.

Angled spots:
Old 06-30-2004, 10:03 AM
Keeping emos out of

Originally Posted by TSXfan23
Are there any TSX drivers here who live in an apartment or a condo, I need some advice and tips on where is a good place to park my TSX. I'm going to be moving to my own apartment because of a new job. But, they don't have any garages available I have to be on a waiting list, so I'm kind of worried and paranoid of where to park the TSX outside all the time. There are no reserved parking spaces, which is a good or bad thing?

So, any tips or advice where I can park the TSX so that I won't feel as worried about my TSX? I'm just worried about being dented and dinged cause it has no side moldings. Would any of you buy a car cover? Any fellow Apt/Condo owners can you please share your insights?

Thanks!
Good luck man. Every car that i've had while living in an apartment has gotten dings on it. The best places to park, in order to avoid the dings, is at the far end of the lot, or my favorite, right next to a handicap spot because there is usually a lot of room for the handicap vehicles to manuver which means extra space for your doors.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:02 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
What I do is I always park around the same area (open parking here). I've found most people will do the same. This means chances are you'll get to see/meet the owners of the cars that park around you once in a while. Be nice to them and they'll be nice to you.
When you detail your car after a wash, do it in the spot you usually park in. People around the parking spot will see that you care about the car and its appearance. I've even had a few people drive by and slow down to give me a thumbs up while I'm cleaning it.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:38 PM
Instructor

i did park in a corner right next to the garage port, but it's right by the garbage and recycling trash cans. so, i don't want to park there too often, only cause i could get hit by a garbage truck. then, there are corner spots, but i can't see the TSX from my apt window if i park in the corner spots. one corner spot is nice, but the garages are obscuring my view of the car from my 3rd floor apt. then there is another corner spot, but again the garage is blocking my view. what else should i do?
Old 07-17-2004, 10:41 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think all the strategic parking spots have been mentioned so far. One thing to consider is who drives the cars you are near. Parking on the right side of other cars is a little safer if the driver typically drives alone (no one in the right seat to open a door into you!) I stay away from big vehicles or kid friendly (ie baby seats and such) cars because kids are notoriously opening doors by kicking them open, or parents will bump them past the detent to get a a car seat and such.
Old 07-17-2004, 02:33 PM
Banned

I hate apartments. I can't wait until I can afford a home. Luckily I park in the parking lot of a health professions graduate school. No punk high school and college kids here.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:06 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

I live in a townhouse with a garage, but I do have to park in a public train station lot every weekday. My advice is not to forget about environmental concerns. If you end up being parked next to or under a tree that's spitting sap all over your car, you're not going to be a happy camper. Or God forbid, you end up under a lamp post or utility wire where birds hang out. Bird sh!t is probably the worst possible thing for your car's paint. If I had a choice between a slight decrease in the risk of dings or an increased risk of bird bombs, I'd go with the dings. Just my $0.02.