Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 08:46 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Navigation System

Getting ready to purchase 2006 TSX. Looking for comments on whether the navigation system is worth the $2,000?
Old 04-11-2006, 08:48 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get it. everyone who doesn't pony up from the start seems to regret the decision 6 months down the road.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:55 AM
TSXmeister

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fast1
get it. everyone who doesn't pony up from the start seems to regret the decision 6 months down the road.

Old 04-11-2006, 09:02 AM
X spots the mark

Originally Posted by fast1
Not really... I got mine without the navi and I don't regret it at all since I've got a great Garmin portable navi unit that gets the job done for me whenever I go to an unfamiliar place...
The Garmin unit costs much less than $1000, can be transferred from one car to another and uses maps that are updated much more frequently than the ones in the oem Acura/Honda navi.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:15 AM
Overlord

Get the nav. Much more than just maps; it is voice control and touch screen control of every system in your car, from radio/CD/XM to climate control to the trip computer. If you don't get it, you'll be kicking yourself the entire time you own your TSX.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:30 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by whynot
Not really... I got mine without the navi and I don't regret it at all since I've got a great Garmin portable navi unit that gets the job done for me whenever I go to an unfamiliar place...
The Garmin unit costs much less than $1000, can be transferred from one car to another and uses maps that are updated much more frequently than the ones in the oem Acura/Honda navi.
but our looks better...and what happens when you tell it to turn on the climate control?

Will it find the closest italian restaurant or gas station?

and btw, run a search because this has been covered 6,237 times.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:44 AM
10th Gear

btw Gibson6594 you still responded to the thread. I take your vote as a yes.....
Old 04-11-2006, 10:11 AM
My Garage

Originally Posted by stumarsyd
btw Gibson6594 you still responded to the thread. I take your vote as a yes.....
well...yea, it is a yes, but my suggestion to search first still stands
Old 04-11-2006, 11:21 AM
X spots the mark

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
but our looks better...and what happens when you tell it to turn on the climate control?

Will it find the closest italian restaurant or gas station?
I don't tell it to turn on the climate control, call me old fashioned but I find it much easier to press 1 button than having a dialogue with my car.
And yes, it will find the closest italian restaurant or gas station, possibly a closer one than the Acura navi can. That's because my Garmin has 7 million POI database... and how much does the Acura navi have?
I don't know if you've looked at the aftermarket portable navigation systems lately but they have been improved a lot and most of them offer way more funtionality and features than the OEM unit in your car, while costing a lot less.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Racer

Yes it is
Old 04-11-2006, 11:33 AM
My Garage

I don't tell it to turn on the climate control, call me old fashioned but I find it much easier to press 1 button than having a dialogue with my car.
And yes, it will find the closest italian restaurant or gas station, possibly a closer one than the Acura navi can. That's because my Garmin has 7 million POI database... and how much does the Acura navi have?
I don't know if you've looked at the aftermarket portable navigation systems lately but they have been improved a lot and most of them offer way more funtionality and features than the OEM unit in your car, while costing a lot less.
Well, the Acura website states "more than 7 million points of interest"

Acura
Old 04-11-2006, 11:45 AM
X spots the mark

Well, the Acura website states "more than 7 million points of interest"

Acura
When is the last time those have been updated? How much does Acura charge for map/POI updates?
Old 04-11-2006, 11:59 AM
My Garage

When is the last time those have been updated? How much does Acura charge for map/POI updates?
They offer disk updates. I think they go for $100, but they are mainly map updates, not POI updates. I think the disks upgrades main purpose is to provide news coverage areas, but I may be wrong.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:20 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
for $2,000 you can get an aftermarket navi that has touchscreen, updated maps, voice direction, mp3 and DVD capabilities, and a bunch of cool stuff not found on the OEM navi. And also keep in mind that the new navigation will only get better exponentially with talks of GoogleMap being integrated into the maps. However, I will probably still get the navi.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:25 PM
Overlord

They offer disk updates. I think they go for $100, but they are mainly map updates, not POI updates. I think the disks upgrades main purpose is to provide news coverage areas, but I may be wrong.
Sorry, but no. $185. And they are POI as well as roads, but many POI are out of date (as with ANY mapping software.)
Old 04-11-2006, 01:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ninjamyst
for $2,000 you can get an aftermarket navi that has touchscreen, updated maps, voice direction, mp3 and DVD capabilities, and a bunch of cool stuff not found on the OEM navi. And also keep in mind that the new navigation will only get better exponentially with talks of GoogleMap being integrated into the maps. However, I will probably still get the navi.
And the OEM also has touchscreen, voice direction, etc. and in my opinion, a TSX without NAV just looks like it's missing something; the nav is supposed to be there; just makes the interior of the car complete. And I struggled with this long and hard before I committed to the Nav.

What sold it for me is this thought: If I decide to sell my car in 2-3 years to buy another TSX, the fact that my USED car has Navigation in it will be a huge selling point. In 3 years, everyone will want nav, so having it in a used car will be a huge bonus.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:15 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

get it. i don't know anyone that regrets paying the premium for it.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:23 PM
TFalis

No need to think in terms of price anyway. How much more could your mo. payment possibly be if you finance 2k?
Old 04-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Undercover Slacker

Originally Posted by Beoshingus
Get the nav. Much more than just maps; it is voice control and touch screen control of every system in your car, from radio/CD/XM to climate control to the trip computer. If you don't get it, you'll be kicking yourself the entire time you own your TSX.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:35 PM
My Garage

Sorry, but no. $185. And they are POI as well as roads, but many POI are out of date (as with ANY mapping software.)
yea, hence the "I think" and "I may be wrong"
Old 04-11-2006, 03:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Get the navi. I love it and it makes the car look so much better. Even though my alpine protable Naiv is better, I still would not own the tsx without the built in Navi. You will regret it if you don't get it. Besides aftermarket looks ugly stuck on the glass. YUK!
Old 04-11-2006, 03:39 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by t_in_maine
And the OEM also has touchscreen, voice direction, etc. and in my opinion, a TSX without NAV just looks like it's missing something; the nav is supposed to be there; just makes the interior of the car complete. And I struggled with this long and hard before I committed to the Nav.

What sold it for me is this thought: If I decide to sell my car in 2-3 years to buy another TSX, the fact that my USED car has Navigation in it will be a huge selling point. In 3 years, everyone will want nav, so having it in a used car will be a huge bonus.
Don't get me wrong. I think the OEM navi is great and I will probably get it too. I just don't think it's a smart decision (yes, like everyone else, I make stupid decisions). My point is that you can get much better aftermarket navs for about the same price (maybe lower) as the OEM one. Of course the OEM one integrates nicely with the car and make it look better.

Also, I think your theory about your navi adding resale value to your car could be wrong. What if newer and MUCH better navi comes out in the next 2-3 year? Who would want an outdated electronic? Your navi will add SOME value to your car but it will be much much much less than what you would think. The depreciation on your navi will be much higher because the technology is changing so fast. I mean, will you pay $1,000 more for an used 2nd gen TL just because it has a navi when your TSX navi is soooo much better?

(disclaimer: i love the nav and i will probably get it but it's not as smart/good decision as everyone puts it)
Old 04-11-2006, 03:43 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by ninjamyst
Don't get me wrong. I think the OEM navi is great and I will probably get it too. I just don't think it's a smart decision (yes, like everyone else, I make stupid decisions). My point is that you can get much better aftermarket navs for about the same price (maybe lower) as the OEM one. Of course the OEM one integrates nicely with the car and make it look better.

Also, I think your theory about your navi adding resale value to your car could be wrong. What if newer and MUCH better navi comes out in the next 2-3 year? Who would want an outdated electronic? Your navi will add SOME value to your car but it will be much much much less than what you would think. The depreciation on your navi will be much higher because the technology is changing so fast. I mean, will you pay $1,000 more for an used 2nd gen TL just because it has a navi when your TSX navi is soooo much better?

(disclaimer: i love the nav and i will probably get it but it's not as smart/good decision as everyone puts it)
Of course you're right, but you can't look at it that way. You wanna make the right decision all the time, sell the TSX, buy a used Civic and put the rest in the bank. We got the navi because we like it, not because it was the right decision.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:48 PM
Pro

Of course you're right, but you can't look at it that way. You wanna make the right decision all the time, sell the TSX, buy a used Civic and put the rest in the bank. We got the navi because we like it, not because it was the right decision.
Exactly what I am trying to say......glass half full to you, half empty to me
Old 04-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Got Ramen?

we;ve seen so many of these threads in the past... dammit man. if ur not sure whether to nav or not, go to the dealership and try one out. and if u cant find a TSX with one, try on a TL.

my opinion, it's worth the $2000.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:30 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would look at it yourself. It terms of the look and integration with the rest of the car, the Acura navi is the best OEM out there.

I think aftermarket navi is a good decision if the audio functionality is more important to you than the Navi is. I use my navi about 5% of the time and use my audio about 95% of the time. I went with aftermarket navi and I'm happy with my decision. It just makes sense for my situation. It was more important for me to have the integrated audio/video functionality. I commute, wanted to have entertainment, and knew I would rarely be in situations when I didn't know my way around.

I just updated to the new Pioneer N3 software last week and it only costs me $20. Over 11 million POI, integrated touchscreen Ipod control, DVD, mp3, etc. If you're an audiophile, like I am, then aftermarket might be a good route for you since you can expand so much. If you're not too into audio, and want something simple, that's already there, I think the Acura Navi is very nice. I really dig the look it gives the TSX interior. The 8" screen is sweet
Old 04-11-2006, 07:59 PM
Cruisin'

I have the Navi in my 04. It has been the greatest!!!! I have friends that have all the others from BMW,Audi,GM and they do not even come close to TSX. I now have 68,000 miles and not one problem.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:59 PM
Advanced

get the navi... i did and i dont regret it
Old 04-11-2006, 08:10 PM
TSX4EVR

Get it. If you live in a big city or travel, absolutely get it.

Excited
Old 04-11-2006, 08:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The '06's don't have the trip computer on the navi unit I believe.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:16 PM
F.I.L.A.

I say get it so you don't wind up regretting it later. It's got good content, calculates (and recalculates) routes fairly quick, and integrates so well with the car. The learning curve is virtually nil. The only thing you'll have to study is all of the voice commands and even many of those are intuitive.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:46 PM
Advanced

I just got a 06 TSX Non-Navi. Today I got a demo while mine is getting detailed. My demo is a 06 RL w/ Navi. Its pretty nice, but not a necessary. And I was suprised to drive down paved city roads that were over 2 years old, and were not on the Navi Map.

Just my thoughts, I'll probly get a garmin or something simple in the future.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:54 PM
Cruisin'

Just got my 06 PWP Non-Navi on Saturday, and I dont regret anything. It's not a "must have" by any means. $2000 for something that I for one dont really need? I know I wouldnt use it outside of climate control and controlling the radio or whatever so to spend 2G's on that is plain silly. Now, if you dont know how to use Mapquest and you're a person who travels to unkonwn places then you might want it. For me it would be a waste of money. Plus, ALL electronics get outdated very fast and then you're stuck with it. So if Non-navi owners want it down the line at least they can upgrade as new techonlogy comes out. Like I said it depends on if its necessary for you. For me it wasnt, so my car was $2000 cheaper. =)
Old 04-12-2006, 01:41 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Does your handheld tell you how many miles you have left per tank? or your avg mpg?

Also... going to a high XM channel by telling it to do so is much quicker than trying to find it by hand.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:00 AM
X spots the mark

Originally Posted by Alin10123
Does your handheld tell you how many miles you have left per tank? or your avg mpg?
The '06 models can display that and other info on the MID display that's placed between the tach and the speedometer
Old 04-12-2006, 09:08 AM
My Garage

The '06 models can display that and other info on the MID display that's placed between the tach and the speedometer
I'm not arguing which one is better, just curious. Does yours have calculator and calendar functions? And Does it speak to you?
Old 04-12-2006, 10:30 AM
X spots the mark

I'm not arguing which one is better, just curious. Does yours have calculator and calendar functions? And Does it speak to you?
Yes, the Garmin unit I use in my car does all of these things... Did I mention before how nice 3D navigation is and what a shame it is that it's not available on the Acura oem navi?
Old 04-12-2006, 09:00 PM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, the Garmin unit I use in my car does all of these things... Did I mention before how nice 3D navigation is and what a shame it is that it's not available on the Acura oem navi?
What Garmin model do you have?
Old 04-13-2006, 01:05 AM
Advanced

Wouldn't even wanna imagine my TSX without navi
Old 04-13-2006, 08:23 AM
Burning Brakes

get the NAVI!

Quick Reply: Navigation System