Navi Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 01:24 AM
Beauty is a curse...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navi Question

I've been stuck in a boat for quite some time. I'm stuck between the TSX and TL, but I have about a year before I complete my purchase (just graduated college and starting my career.) A big factor for me would definitely be the great navigation system that the TSX has over the TL (with the increased number of voice commands.)

They are able to hack their TL navigation and give them the ability to customize their startup screen. This is a minor feature to worry about but does the TSX have that capability as well? Could we use the same program given in the TL forum?
Old 01-22-2006, 01:32 AM
Racer

No, I tried Bysin's dumpnavi on the '06 =.= the files are completely different, and it always ends up either freezing the program, or giving an error.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:52 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure within a year, the 06 hack will be done so you can customize the screen on the TSX. Pretty sure the 07 TL will have the updated nav too (and the TSX hack will work) so I think nav-wise, you'll be equal between the cars. Now if the TL gets SH-AWD, that may be the deciding factor.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:11 AM
Burning Brakes

personally, as a navi user of many years, i seldom use any of the voice commands. it seems easier to push a button, it is a lot faster than pressing the steering wheel button, say the command, wait and then repeat. usually i enter 5 destinations into the system and let it sort them out so i dont back track. usually i am going to residences to inspect the property and ill fill up the todays destinations while parked then head out. so i do a lot of programming at 1 time. voice control would only be usefull to me for dialing my phone or spelling out the name of the street (i assumed the 06 does this) other than that i wouldnt base your decision on a feature that you wont use much on a regular basis.
if you can justify the TL's additional sticker price, i would base my decision on needing more HP and a better stereo with more space.
personally for me i am usually the only one in my car so i dont need the room, i think the TSX has just enough power for me and the stereo would be nice but not worth the additional sticker price.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:54 AM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bass Mechanic
personally, as a navi user of many years, i seldom use any of the voice commands. it seems easier to push a button, it is a lot faster than pressing the steering wheel button, say the command, wait and then repeat. usually i enter 5 destinations into the system and let it sort them out so i dont back track. usually i am going to residences to inspect the property and ill fill up the todays destinations while parked then head out. so i do a lot of programming at 1 time. voice control would only be usefull to me for dialing my phone or spelling out the name of the street (i assumed the 06 does this) other than that i wouldnt base your decision on a feature that you wont use much on a regular basis.
if you can justify the TL's additional sticker price, i would base my decision on needing more HP and a better stereo with more space.
personally for me i am usually the only one in my car so i dont need the room, i think the TSX has just enough power for me and the stereo would be nice but not worth the additional sticker price.
Very well said. I doubt many people actually use their navi voice commands except when showing off to their friends. I feel kind of stupid if I am driving alone and I am talking to my car...but then I don't even have a TSX so you can disregard everything I said
Old 01-22-2006, 12:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Bass Mechanic
Voice is awesome i use it all the time!
We have like 6 different modes of audio, easier to say XM 20 than changing the mode 6 times, sometimes you even go too fast and miss it, PLUS you have to look at the center screen, which tells you what your listening to, while voice commands repeat to you what your gonna be listening to.
If you use the voice enough, you'll basically memorize where every menu in the screen leads to so basically you can input every destination without even touching the nav. Maybe you'll have to look when they ask you to choose a number when you put in a street, but thats about it. '06'ers dont have to spell out, we read the city/street name and the nav asks you to choose a number for the correct city/street, dunno 'bout '05's on that one. We can also spell, but its useless unless the street is something like zxckjlasdfljadf, and we cant read it out right. Numbers can be read sequentially, so thats a one step process as well.
Climate control settings? "Temperature 70", "Fan Speed One", "Climate control air recirculate"
Bluetooth voice is just a one button thing too "Call Bob" "*Nav lists phone number*" "Call" and voila your calling bob
Plus, its fun when people are in your car thinkin you pulled out some insane trick, and they spend the rest of the day trying to use ur voice command, but the button is hidden behind the bluetooth, so they don't know theres a button for it hahaa! xD
Old 01-22-2006, 12:11 PM
Advanced

Also you can turn off the Voice feeedback if you dont like it. It does not have to repeat everything you say. in the set up options.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:19 PM
Beauty is a curse...

ill try not to turn this into a "TSX vs TL" thread but the main concern i would have is justifying the extra 2 cylinders and 50 ponies for about 3-5k. I would want my car to be fully loaded, whether it be with the TSX and TL. I think i'll wait until the 2007 model comes out to make my deciding factor.

With my maxima, it is usually my gf and i for the majority of the time, so the extra backseat space isnt really needed. What also turned me off about the TL was having to pay extra for options that I would get standard on the TSX.

There are fewer TSX's on the road, and its straight from Japan while TL's are everywhere and made in the U.S.

I guess i have a year to decide.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:40 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

What do you pay "extra" for in the TL that you have "standard" in the TSX? Just curious.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:55 PM
Racer

I pondered the TL vs TSX question as well. There really isn't anything a TL offers that would make a TSXer drool out the extra 3-5k. The 6 Cylinders do offer a lot more torque as well as those ponies, so the lower RPM range'll be a lot stronger. The only thing is to test out both cars. The TL sound system is better as well, but with ambient noise, i dont think you'll notice the difference unless your in traffic completely stopped, and noone is honking their horn.
I found the TSX to be the better choice because with the extra you spend on a TL, you can buy crap for the TSX *supercharge it nudge nudge*, or do we smell full aspec kit? I think TLs really need more stuff to make the 3-5k worth it (ex. completely keyless? navtraffic?RWD? Possibly AWD?) There really isnt much to separate the TL from the TSX.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:10 AM
Beauty is a curse...

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
What do you pay "extra" for in the TL that you have "standard" in the TSX? Just curious.

sorry, for some reason i thought you had to pay extra for HIDS and sunroof. It must've been with a different company...i've been researching Audi's, BMW's, etc for months.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:15 AM
Beauty is a curse...

Originally Posted by sccpu3d
you can buy crap for the TSX *supercharge it nudge nudge*, or do we smell full aspec kit? I think TLs really need more stuff to make the 3-5k worth it (ex. completely keyless? navtraffic?RWD? Possibly AWD?) There really isnt much to separate the TL from the TSX.

I definitely agree. I drive a '97 maxima now and although its 6 cylinders, it pushes out 190hps rather than the tsx's 205. Honestly, its going to be the different price changes and options in the '07 models. I am 80% towards the TSX for many reasons, but ill wait to test drive the new '07 models next year.

by that time, i should be an expert at both models for doing so much research
Old 01-23-2006, 07:56 PM
Yui
Pro

Originally Posted by Accurate
...my gf and i for the majority of the time, so the extra backseat space isnt really needed
I'm sure I could think of a few good reasons to have a nicer backseat with a gf...

Have you test driven both? It's one thing to compare specs on paper, but unless you drive them both back to back you won't really get a good comparison... You may find that the TL is bigger and heftier than you'd really like, or that the TSX isn't fast enough.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Yui
I'm sure I could think of a few good reasons to have a nicer backseat with a gf...
In the case of that, the TSX will have the extra room with the fold down seats

Those fold down seats will be worth every penny
Old 01-24-2006, 07:36 AM
Pro

quick question guys about the navi:

Does the sun ever block your view of the navi!?
Old 01-25-2006, 08:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tintin
quick question guys about the navi:

Does the sun ever block your view of the navi!?
only if you have the sunroof open, otherwise no in any day light or night its readable anytime
Old 01-25-2006, 02:59 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by Accurate
I definitely agree. I drive a '97 maxima now and although its 6 cylinders, it pushes out 190hps rather than the tsx's 205. Honestly, its going to be the different price changes and options in the '07 models. I am 80% towards the TSX for many reasons, but ill wait to test drive the new '07 models next year.

by that time, i should be an expert at both models for doing so much research
The Maxima will still outrun the TSX because of far more torque. And even with a supercharger, a TSX is still probably going to lose to a TL 6MT.