NAV + Internet Access

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 11:28 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NAV + Internet Access

I did a quick search and didn't see an obvious posts regarding this subject... Has any one tried to add wireless Internet access using the NAV screen? I know a laptop with the appropriate accessories would be easier, but I was just curious.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:49 AM
Max
Racer

I seem to recall at least someone on here doing it, but in any case if you get a computer's video hooked into the navi screen then all you need is a wifi card on the pc to get wireless access (well that and the access points).
Old 07-16-2004, 08:33 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah, it's basially using the nav screen as the monitor. NavTV offers a product called WinMobil to do that...

http://www.winmobil.com/
Old 07-17-2004, 02:35 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Like you're not distracted enough from driving with all the gadgets in the car now you want to add Internet surfing?
Old 07-19-2004, 11:22 AM
10th Gear

My intention would not be to use it while driving, it just seemed like a logical next step with the NAV (at least to me since I'm in IT). It would be cool to look up an address or phone number that's not listed in the DVD, or when I'm on the road for work, I could check my e-mail and calendar.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:29 AM
VP Electricity

Please review disastrous product known as AutoPC.

No, I'd say the obvious next step is something that people would actually pay for, like the RL's real-time nav re-routing with unidirectional data from XM.

Looking up phone numbers has NO ROI, since everyone has a cellphone with the numbers 4-1-1 on it already. Speaking of which, many cellphones now download your calendar and contacts... and many also get e-mail. Get a Treo 600. Or do what I do and carry a small phone and an old-skool B&W BlackBerry.

We created a really cool Mobitex modem for the AutoPC to do exactly what you are describing ... in 1999! No one is/was willing to pay for it, since they can do it all with devices that they can actually take with them out of the car.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:22 PM
10th Gear

I see where you're coming from. I agree there are plenty of mobile devices that can fill in the gaps, but I lug enough stuff around as it is. I'm not saying this would be a killer application for the NAV, more of a convience for me.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:06 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by elduderino
Please review disastrous product known as AutoPC.
FYI - MSFT is slowly but surely convincing European automobile manufacturers to install the latest version. Fiat is the latest example.

1999 was also before Bluetooth was more widely available - imagine having your PDA or smartphone sync with the car (and vice versa) so that to you, the user, it's a seamless experience and all of your data is available to you where you are in the medium most relevant for your usage context. No reason the car couldn't use the data connection (if available) on the personal mobile device via bluetooth to access the Internet....

Hey, can you tell I'm a mobile user experience designer (and helped run one usability study on the AutoPC when I was a MSFT slave... er, contractor)? Heh.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:19 PM
VP Electricity

Hey, back in 1998 MSFT hadn't even gotten the memo about two-way access from the AutoPC. That's why we did the AutoPC./BlackBerry. The app read you your emails, and you had 15 pre-programmed responses in addition to direct entry.No one wanted it!

Yes, they are selling the kernel - now that they are getting rid of their UI, their useless APIs, and not letting ANYONE know that it's an MS OS.