NA specs vs Euro specs for TSX...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 06:46 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NA specs vs Euro specs for TSX...

...hey gang, when I was at the Honda dealership the other day, (my wife drives an Odyssey) we were talking about the TSX, and the guy behind the desk was saying that the TSX is a very different car than the Euro Accord. He says the TSX suspension has been dramatically "detuned" to give a more comfortable north american style ride, and the engine has been detuned as well by 60 HP. He said most North American drivers wouldn't know what to do with that much HP from a four cylinder engine...I think the guys nuts, and that he's spouting mis-information...
What's the story? I was under the assumption the TSX was exactly the same car as the Euro Accord but with different trim pieces to provide the Acura identity. Tell me what info y'all might have on this, my curiosity is a bit piqued right now.

Lorne Miller
Old 07-31-2003, 06:56 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Top of the line euro Accord: 190hp
TSX: 200hp

The tsx suspension is actually designed to be STIFFER than the euro accord.

The guy is an IDIOT...tell him his information is the reason why he works at Honda and not Acura
Old 07-31-2003, 07:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: NA specs vs Euro specs for TSX...

Originally posted by Lorne Miller
...hey gang, when I was at the Honda dealership the other day, (my wife drives an Odyssey) we were talking about the TSX, and the guy behind the desk was saying that the TSX is a very different car than the Euro Accord. ..I think the guys nuts, and that he's spouting mis-information...
What's the story? I was under the assumption the TSX was exactly the same car as the Euro Accord but with different trim pieces to provide the Acura identity. Tell me what info y'all might have on this, my curiosity is a bit piqued right now.

Lorne Miller
The salesperson doesn't want you to go to the Acura dealer. Each country may have any number of variations of what some refer to as the Japan Domestic Market (JDM) Accord or the European-market Accord. These variations may be simple, like a label, a vanity mirror, a heated side view mirror, or the color selection, or they may be more profound, like the suspension tuning, the engine, the tires, the rims, the upholstery, etc. One variation of the European-market Honda Accord is the Acura TSX.

The differences are more than "trim pieces", but overall, the cars are more similar than they are different.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:20 PM
Audi Driving Snob

the guy is full of it. The tsx has the stiffer suspension(although slightly higher ride height.)

Here is a pic of the euro 2.4 torque curve from the honda uk brochure. I know it's small and you can't make out any numbers but as you can see it sux0rz compared to what we have in NA.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:34 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our TSX has more horsepower, stiffer suspension, more features, and a nicer interior. Its amazing how stupid some of these dealer employees are.

I had a Nissan salewoman trying to convince me that the Altima was RWD. She kept insisting.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:02 PM
Pro

I was like WTF when I read what you said about the salesman. What was your response to him? Is he stupid or is he stupid enough to think you're stupid to believe him.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:02 AM
I love my TSX!

some sales people don't know too much. my sales lady sounded like she was reading me the manual. i kept telling her i knew everything about the car cause i did so much research on it but she kept on reciting the manual. i let her continue anyways...she was sooo hot! no wonder i didn't get a great deal....i fell victim to her looks
Old 08-01-2003, 09:56 AM
Banned

On a similar note, does anyone know why the TSX lacks electronic brake distribution and brake assist, while these are standard on the other versions of the Euro/JDM Accord? Are our market's larger tires supposed to compensate somehow? Do you all have any opinions or information in this regard?
Old 08-01-2003, 10:01 AM
wiz
Pro

I guess I'm in the minority that I had a good salesman. he was not the most knowledgeable guy in the world, but he didn't try to take me for a fool, and still showed me a few cool features on the car that I was not aware of at the time. He also didn't try to bore me with details that he knew I would not care about.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:29 AM
Instructor

When test driving a Matrix XR AWD three weeks ago, the salesman tried to tell me VVT-i is something that automatically adjusted lubrication for the engine to cut down on maintenance requirements and extend oil change intervals.

I just wanted to test drive the car so I just said "Wow, that's great!"

Another thing I remember from all my test-drives recently is that the salesmen are all eager to show me where the coolant resevoir, air intake box, battery, and break-away engine mounts are.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:25 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by HKevF
On a similar note, does anyone know why the TSX lacks electronic brake distribution and brake assist, while these are standard on the other versions of the Euro/JDM Accord? Are our market's larger tires supposed to compensate somehow? Do you all have any opinions or information in this regard?
If the TSX had Brake Assist, I wouldn't even consider it. I can drive a car and I know how to brake....I don't need a computer to try and interpret what I want to do and help me out. I'm glad it doesn't have that. Electronic brake distribution is another waste, i think. Personally, I think that these features are on cars to help out those people that don't know how to drive. Besides, I think VSA does a good job of interfering as it is...and its only minimal. I turn off all unnecessary electronics when I enter the car. The more mechanicals working without interference from electronics, the better.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

The NA TSX is the euro accord type S... plus some. they used the euro accord type S as the base for the TSX and built up from there.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:43 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by HKevF
I could have sworn the TSX had Electronic Brake Distribution??? I've checked the specs on the web and it makes no mention of it. Was I dreaming??
Old 08-12-2003, 09:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by domn
I could have sworn the TSX had Electronic Brake Distribution??? I've checked the specs on the web and it makes no mention of it. Was I dreaming??
I think VSA takes care of EBD.